Metal Storm logo
The easiest genre to get into

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 22.03.2007 - 05:18
As opposite to the thread: the most difficult genre to get into, I'd be interesting to see your opinions on this issue.
Imo, getting into a genre deppends of the music we listen to, besides Metal and what we search in Metal, for example: I got really easy into Gothic Metal because I was interested in the dark side of music, life, art... and I got really interested in the gothic culture for some time.
So, imo, the easiest genre to get into would be Power or Heavy, I can't decide which is the easiest one
01.11.2009 - 13:28
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
For me for begginers who just get into metal music in general its better to offer some old classic heavy metal or some power too !! also alternative metal can be good !!
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
03.11.2009 - 05:50
flickaa
Welll I'm not a fan of power XD ...... so I don't count that and yeah heavy is I guess softer but progressive isnt that harsh what r u talking about.... it doesnt hurt my ears!!!
04.11.2009 - 00:26
emtay
Most people without already-established enjoyment for more extreme music will probably best tolerate power metal since it's so formulaic and easier to process. The same could be said for those poppy "gothic"/symphonic metal bands.
09.11.2009 - 08:19
dEAthB3D
Grindcore, brutal death or tech death are easy to listen to since my uncle is an ex guitarist of a brutal death metal band in my hometown. Progressive jazz influenced death/black is easier to listen for me because my whole family loved jazz very much
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
09.11.2009 - 21:45
SerratedSyringe
I still haven't figured out why, but around here everyone likes deathcore. Some of it is pretty harsh, which I would think tends to repel most metal n00bs, but they just eat it up. Job For A Cowboy is like the new Korn.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
01.05.2011 - 14:26
brc2000
One would think that trad. would be the way to go, but for some reason a lot more people start with the extreme genres these days, which I think is a shame. I personally feel thrash is the easiest to get into, as it can appeal both to the non-extreme and extreme metal inclined and just sounds "cool".
01.05.2011 - 15:15
Luneth
Account deleted
I think any kind of Melodic Metal genre is easiest to get into unless you're the kind of person who knows outright that you prefer more extreme metal.
01.05.2011 - 17:07
Hellios
Account deleted
You'll easily identify if the band is easy to get in to if they got millions of views in youtube. POSER shit like deathcore, metalcore, symphonic metal and other crap gets millions of views! While underground bands who are 1000000x better than those posers get only 1,000-10,000 views..haha but that's ok, Keep it on the underground for the real metalheads.
01.05.2011 - 17:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.05.2011 at 17:07

You'll easily identify if the band is easy to get in to if they got millions of views in youtube. POSER shit like deathcore, metalcore, symphonic metal and other crap gets millions of views! While underground bands who are 1000000x better than those posers get only 1,000-10,000 views..haha but that's ok, Keep it on the underground for the real metalheads.

I wonder, how do you know the underground bands are "1000000x" better?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.05.2011 - 22:37
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Generally metalcore and deathcore are good for getting young people into metal. Metalcore is melodic and features clean vocals often, and the breakdowns are effectively heavy dance beats.

For somebody whos not in high school, I would use Sabbath, Maiden, and some old school thrash bands(Heathen, Metallica, Overkill's first two), due to the clean vocals and similarity to mainstream hard rock.
02.05.2011 - 02:21
Kennoth
Traditional heavy, power and sometimes nu-metal, it all depends on the person.

Also, sheer amount of ignorance some people showed in this topic almost made me puke.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
05.05.2011 - 20:03
BrokenKnuckles
I dont think the question should be "Whats the easiest genre to get into" but What the more Netural metal Genre. Everyone taste is going to be differant. For me it was Thrash Metal. From there is found Power Metal, Death Metal, ect... If you're a pre teen that hates his/her parents than Nu-Metal. So I would have to say the more netural genre would have to be Heavy Metal
15.05.2011 - 15:05
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Heavy metal for starters. Stuff like Maiden, Priest... the easiest extreme metal ( with harsh vocals ) to get into is maybe melodeath.
17.05.2011 - 02:26
king_matt
I mainly got into metal with stuff like Iron Maiden and Metallica. So I guess heavy and thrash.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
17.05.2011 - 19:40
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The obvious answer would tend towards melodic metal, like power or trad heavy metal. But I personnaly got into metal with Cradle Of Filth, which is one of the easiest extreme metal band to get into imo, mainly because it uses gothic elements like symphonies and female vocals that hook the unexperimented listener. As a matter of fact, any metal genre using lots of keyboards is easier to get into, since the melodies are usually much clearer than those played on distorted guitars. I remember focusing almost exclusively on vocals and keyboards when I began listening to metal.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
18.05.2011 - 06:45
Yasmine
Written by Kennoth on 02.05.2011 at 02:21

Traditional heavy, power and sometimes nu-metal, it all depends on the person.

Also, sheer amount of ignorance some people showed in this topic almost made me puke.

Agree with traditional and power. Skilled vocalists in these genres are not as abrasive to people just getting into metal, especially if their not teens.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
18.05.2011 - 07:17
MetalSpider
Tech or Brutal Death Metal...definitely!!! Skip the breast milk and straight to hard fucking liquor baby!!!!!!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
18.05.2011 - 19:21
Sammol
Power/Heavy Metal for Hard Rock people
Groove Metal for Nu Metal people
Thrash for Punk people
19.05.2011 - 17:01
Yasmine
Written by MetalSpider on 18.05.2011 at 07:17

Tech or Brutal Death Metal...definitely!!! Skip the breast milk and straight to hard fucking liquor baby!!!!!!

That's exactly why it's not the easiest. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
19.05.2011 - 17:54
ANGEL REAPER
Probably some genre that is not very different of newbies sense of taste for music...something close to mainstream rock or something....Probably a lot of gothic/prog/power/melodic stuff...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.05.2011 - 19:14
MetalSpider
Written by Yasmine on 19.05.2011 at 17:01

That's exactly why it's not the easiest. lol

lol yeah I know
----

19.05.2011 - 20:40
Silent Jay

Are you genuinely saying that you went straight to these genres of Metal? Yeeeeeaaaahhhh right.

I think the most accessible generally would be older Heavy Metal like Sabbath and Maiden as they are considered classics and compared with today you could say there is not much to them. Simplicity so to speak. But really it will be the trend of the day as its much easier for people getting into Metal to follow whatever their friends like. I suppose right now in the UK its Metalcore and Djent etc. Personally I missed the Nu-Metal crowed when I was younger but loved the older bands, but many school mates only began listening to the old bands until after school and their tastes developed.
19.05.2011 - 23:24
MetalSpider
Written by Silent Jay on 19.05.2011 at 20:40

Are you genuinely saying that you went straight to these genres of Metal? Yeeeeeaaaahhhh right.

I think the most accessible generally would be older Heavy Metal like Sabbath and Maiden as they are considered classics and compared with today you could say there is not much to them. Simplicity so to speak. But really it will be the trend of the day as its much easier for people getting into Metal to follow whatever their friends like. I suppose right now in the UK its Metalcore and Djent etc. Personally I missed the Nu-Metal crowed when I was younger but loved the older bands, but many school mates only began listening to the old bands until after school and their tastes developed.

Haha nooo definitely not!

I really started to get into metal (besides already occasionally listening to metallica and iron maiden, while still listening to bands like linkin park, godsmack etc.) when I heard Man Made God from In Flames. Then I started listening to In Flames, COB, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork...and then eventually all forms of Death Metal.
----

20.05.2011 - 05:54
Yasmine
I started with Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Annihilator, and Agent Steel.
----
20.05.2011 - 06:16
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Blind guardian started it all for me
Before that was led zep, purple, GnR, some maiden, metallica and judas priest
I guess power, folk or heavy metal would be a good place to start.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
20.05.2011 - 09:32
whatsacow
Since I was already a prog and jazz fanatic, i found prog and avant garde the easiest genres to get into. Opeth was the first extreme metal band I listened to, followed by maudlin of the well. Oddly enough, I think a lot of people are getting into prog. Dream Theater is almost a house hold name, As is Opeth.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
27.07.2011 - 15:08
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 22.03.2007 at 05:34

I agree, Power Metal for sure, its happy, its catchy and powerful & heavy without alienating any listeners with brutality.

Power metal for me is harder to get into than Brutal Death! It's catchy, but the cheesy vocals turn me off! Stuff like Maiden and Priest is something easy to get into, I'd say.
28.07.2011 - 03:30
Steelreaper
I would say Thrash. It became my first love very quickly. It has so much variety , style, Intensity and even beauty.
----
"I see the world's bones, I see the world dead" Max Cavalera
30.07.2011 - 02:50
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
For dudes not into extreme metal: Power metal.
08.08.2011 - 15:27
Night Sight
Most of the people easily get into alternative metal
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight