Metal Storm logo
The easiest genre to get into

22.03.2007 - 05:18
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
As opposite to the thread: the most difficult genre to get into, I'd be interesting to see your opinions on this issue.
Imo, getting into a genre deppends of the music we listen to, besides Metal and what we search in Metal, for example: I got really easy into Gothic Metal because I was interested in the dark side of music, life, art... and I got really interested in the gothic culture for some time.
So, imo, the easiest genre to get into would be Power or Heavy, I can't decide which is the easiest one
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
22.03.2007 - 05:27
FTW
Account deleted
It would probably be Power Metal because of the fact that it is a very "happy" genre.
Postive influenced genre with happy lyrics,happy guitars happy everything.
22.03.2007 - 05:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I agree, Power Metal for sure, its happy, its catchy and powerful & heavy without alienating any listeners with brutality.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.03.2007 - 05:43
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Power Metal isn't happy at all, but most of the times indeed, I agree with you, Power metal could be easier because of this fact.
And power metal is really catchy, as Dr. Rock said
----

Sensorium - Epica
22.03.2007 - 05:52
Nixx
Account deleted
have to join the "Power Metal" squad on this one.
But I also believe Traditional Metal is quite easy getting into.
22.03.2007 - 07:44
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ pity you guys Power metal voxxxx are so irritating !!

Easiest , Heavy metal \m/
22.03.2007 - 10:43
Torelli
I'm not so sure about that power metal is the easiest to getting into. I think many people has a problem with all these guitar solos and "fast" playing of drums and guitar, not to mention that the power metal vocals are one of a kind too.

I think that the traditional metal is the easiest way to getting into. It's melodic but not ultra-melodic, quite catchy and is the first bands non-metal listerners hear of, look how many that have started with Metallica or Iron Maiden for example.
22.03.2007 - 10:53
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Torelli on 22.03.2007 at 10:43

look how many that have started with Metallica or Iron Maiden for example.

Most of the people i know around , started with Iron Maiden or Metallica .....i told ya.

Heavy Metal \m/

oh forget abt Metallica they are Thrash but the very first song which most of the people know is 'sad but true '
22.03.2007 - 11:24
Randall
Account deleted
Trash and heavy metal are definately the easiestto get into, they are the only genre I know that every metal head has an intrest in, and they the genre that got me into metal, but dont seem to listen to too much of it anymore
22.03.2007 - 11:33
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Guest on 22.03.2007 at 11:24

Trash and heavy metal are definately the easiestto get into, they are the only genre I know that every metal head has an intrest in, and they the genre that got me into metal, but dont seem to listen to too much of it anymore

Well, I have difficulities enjoying both Thrash and Heavy metal. I enjoy a few bands of both genres, but most bands are really just not enjoyable for me. I can understand if heavy metal is easy to get into, since it is catchy, more accesible and it isn't messed up by ideologies and other weird side effects.

I would say, the most easy genre, the "pop" side of gothic metal, or power metal. With the pop side of gothic metal I mainly mean bands such as Charon, Poisonblack, later Sentenced, HIM etc. They are so easy to get into..for power metal. It depends. The catchier side of power metal(Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Helloween etc.) is really easy to get into. However, the power metal with a million solos and extremely fast playing (Concerto Moon, Dragonforce etc.) are horribly difficult to get into.
22.03.2007 - 13:13
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Torelli on 22.03.2007 at 10:43

I'm not so sure about that power metal is the easiest to getting into. I think many people has a problem with all these guitar solos and "fast" playing of drums and guitar, not to mention that the power metal vocals are one of a kind too.

I think that the traditional metal is the easiest way to getting into. It's melodic but not ultra-melodic, quite catchy and is the first bands non-metal listerners hear of, look how many that have started with Metallica or Iron Maiden for example.

True what you're saying about the power metal, I didn't like it myself at the beginning <.<
But I think power metal,trad metal, and heavy metal are the easiest ones, dunno in which "order", considering
that people have different tastes.(never heard of a guy that started with Black Metal/Death Metal, but they're prolly out there).

Like for instance, myself, started with Black Sabbath and those guys.
But another friend of mine, started listening to Edguy, Stratovarius etc, 'cos he was into fantasy and all that.

So I guess those 3 are the "overall" easiest ones to get into, personal "taste" determines which one.

Oh and perhaps "Mallcore Metal?" (Nu-Metal).
Specially Linkin Park etc.(Not saying I prefer it, but many might find that as a nice "cross-over").
22.03.2007 - 19:05
Bitch Boy
I was thinking about nu metal, this genre has very catchy songs that are played everywhere, that's why it has most of its fans outside the "metal world", and got many metalheads into metal.

Heavy Metal is also easy to get into, some of our parents, older brothers, cousins do listen to this genre.
22.03.2007 - 19:11
Sunioj
Gothenburg Metal IMO, it started me off because I couldnt get into anything else at the time and alot of my friends started out the same way.
22.03.2007 - 20:20
Revenant
Account deleted
It depends
Alot of females and mroe romanticaly minded alesn find mellodic symophonic metal bands with clean (female) vocals easy to get into, like Witihn Temptation, because it's catchy and easy to lsitne to as well as containing enough depth to capture long term interest.

For the more 'angry' male types mellodeath is easy because it combines catchy mellodies and memorable songs with agression and virtuocity.

Heavy metal is the closest sounding to mainstream rock so is pretty ccessible to all but many will find it sounds cliched and outdated.

Hardest genre: Drone Doom w/o a doubt
22.03.2007 - 21:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No doubt power metal because of chassy riffs and melodies and songs, its something mix between pop and metal so almoustvall like this gere
Then no doubt female frontet band like Nightwish, Epica, After Forever, LACUNA COUL because of singer persnality, lock and well even brests

Then early heavy metal, because its beggining of all metal and IMO all metalheads start whit those bands
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.03.2007 - 21:51
Kharn
Account deleted
I Believe it would be thrash metal of sorts...That early 90's thrash...some call it "post thrash"
Metallica's "black album" and megadeth's "Countdown to extinction" cause they have a more mainstream sound to them.
22.03.2007 - 22:02
Anathemani@c
Written by Guest on 22.03.2007 at 21:51

I Believe it would be thrash metal of sorts...That early 90's thrash...some call it "post thrash"
Metallica's "black album" and megadeth's "Countdown to extinction" cause they have a more mainstream sound to them.

What do you mean by saying "post thrash"? If you mean Metallica's black alboum and Megadeth's countdown to extinction I agree, but I would call black alboum as a heavy metal alboum, not thrash.. Allthough I think heavy is the easiest genre to get into..At least this was how I started.. I never liked power that much..Only some songs!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
22.03.2007 - 22:16
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Probaly Heavy Metal and Power Metal. They're catchy and they're not that extreme nor depresive nor dense as some other genres. Also gothic, because IMo it's kind of simple you know, there are not like big solos or that kinda stuff.

However Metallic aand Iron Maiden will always be tha bands to get into metal, most of us started with those two bands, like Torelli said.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
22.03.2007 - 23:01
Kharn
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 22.03.2007 at 22:02

Written by Guest on 22.03.2007 at 21:51

What do you mean by saying "post thrash"? If you mean Metallica's black alboum and Megadeth's countdown to extinction I agree, but I would call black alboum as a heavy metal alboum, not thrash.. Allthough I think heavy is the easiest genre to get into..At least this was how I started.. I never liked power that much..Only some songs!

By "Post thrash" (i dont use the term myself) i mean that point in time when a lot of thrash bands were slowing down the music and trying to make it more... i dont know...Creative?, constructive? ive no idea.
Its about that time those bands had past thier Best Unfotunately (In my opinion anyway).
22.03.2007 - 23:15
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 22.03.2007 at 21:29

No doubt power metal because of chassy riffs and melodies and songs, its something mix between pop and metal so almoustvall like this gere
Then no doubt female frontet band like Nightwish, Epica, After Forever, LACUNA COUL because of singer persnality, lock and well even brests

Then early heavy metal, because its beggining of all metal and IMO all metalheads start whit those bands

Look's alone aren't enough to make a band popular, what about Thorr's Hammer? I tihnk it's the romantic content and memorable melodies of those bands way over the looks that gaint hem fans. Not to mention tha tmso tof their fans are female, and unless they're all lesbians it won't be the looks...
23.03.2007 - 00:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.03.2007 at 23:15

Written by Bad English on 22.03.2007 at 21:29

Look's alone aren't enough to make a band popular, what about Thorr's Hammer? I tihnk it's the romantic content and memorable melodies of those bands way over the looks that gaint hem fans. Not to mention tha tmso tof their fans are female, and unless they're all lesbians it won't be the looks...

Thorr;s Hammer - its underground and doom metal band but I atlking about those popular bands what I mention who has soem palce in radio and comercial thinks

but well Luminaria, Ashes You Leave, and many namy more bands whit female voice are low know, its becaus eog gernre and Thorr's Hammer are doom, and get into doom are werry hard
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.03.2007 - 02:22
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Goregrind is by far the easiest genre to get into!! No, power metal is the easiest to get into, because it is so catchy, with the keyboards and all. Power metal is pretty much meant to be catchy and the first time I listened to it, I was hooked. It takes no time at all to grow on you, you get into it instantly.
23.03.2007 - 13:18
Judas
The Amputator
I'm agreeing with the majority, Heavy and Power Metal are definitely the easiest paths into Metal for the uninitiated. Almost everyone has heard at least one song by Motörhead, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, but many stop there, with their tastes more focused on other genres (hence the live shows of these bands attracting a really wide range of people). However, if someone listened to Maiden then Saxon then Dio and so on, they'd eventually get hooked. The same goes for those who hear Sonata Arctica (probably the wimpiest and most pop-sounding Power Metal band around that everyone still loves) and then Rhapsody or Nightwish, these bands are so friendly on the ears that it's obvious why they're also some of the most popular bands in their genres.

There are some people I know who thought of Metal solely as 'Death, Blood, Kill, Scream' music, who then heard some Sonata Arctica and Helloween, and now say Power Metal is their favourite music! It's to do with these genres being those closest to the mainstream tastes. Let's face it, your average teeny-bopper won't want to hear 'Chainsaw Gutsfuck' by Mayhem as their first taste of metal, and if they do, then it's not exactly rocket science to guess what they'd think. On the other hand, play them 'Trail of Broken Hearts' by DragonForce, and chances are they'll say, "That's not bad!"
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
23.03.2007 - 18:13
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I agree with some posts here:
I agree with Judas, some people (like me for instance) have heard Iron Maiden or Judas Priest but they're not their favorite bands, just listened a few times and that was all.
And as for power metal, I agree with Blackgir, not all the bands are easy to get into - especially the ones with extremely fast riffs or some vocals -

And I'm thinking now that female fronted bands are easy to get into
----

Sensorium - Epica
23.03.2007 - 19:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
If we're just talking Metal then I'll go with Heavy Metal. It's an easy style to recognize and the singers are often appreciated by most people.
----
23.03.2007 - 19:09
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I'll join the club of heavy and power metal. At least the kind of power without to many solos and insane drumming (like DragonForce). I started out with heavy (Iron Maiden) and a little thrash (Metallica).
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
23.03.2007 - 21:06
Pinusar
Account deleted
The easiest metal subgenre to get into is power metal in my opinion. For non-metal listeners at least. The music is friendlier on the hear, more melodic etc. basically everything has been said in this thread. A person who's never listened to metal will probably appreciate Stratovarius more than Burzum for example, because I think a lot of people have bad prejudices about metal, and power metal can break these.
23.03.2007 - 21:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I agree with Pinusar entirely.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.03.2007 - 21:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
how about... NU METAL!?!?!?!seriously, my sister is into tori amos, depeche mode, and the cure, but she's a system of a down fan too, not to mention the whole avalanche of korn fanatics/groupies that exist around here, also with slipknot or any of your dime-a-dozen nu metal bands.
24.03.2007 - 01:24
Sonic MrSumo
I think, as far as metal goes, or other genres closely associated to metal, then it would be Punk. Bands such as Alkaline Trio and Blink 182. You may not necessarily be a fan of the genre, but you still can't help but tap your feet and get into the goove.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.