Metal Storm logo
Agalloch - Split Up

Sad and unexpected news arrive for Agalloch fans. Following 20 years, 5 full length albums, many tours around the world, and numerous other recordings, John Haughm and the rest of the band (Don Anderson, Jason Walton, and Aesop Dekker) have parted ways. What the future holds for the separate parties remains undetermined. The band collectively thanks all of their fans. Mastermind John Haughm explained that he isn't sure if this is a permanent end of the band or not.

John Haughm also wrote on Facebook: "After being inundated by a barrage of responses, I feel that I should clarify some things. I take full responsibility for the decision to part ways with the other guys. It was difficult, well thought-out, and something that had been culminating over the past couple of years. I simply could not continue any further with the band as it was. I had to make a change as my motivation and inspiration had started to completely deteriorate. Whether this is the permanent end of Agalloch altogether or a possible fresh start, I don't know. I probably won't know for a while. The band has simply been reduced back to its founding, visionary member for the first time in 20 years. Beyond that, the future is unknown."

Here is the statement issued by Don Anderson, long time guitar player of Agalloch regarding the recent incidents and one-sided split: "Dear Everyone, usually statements like these open with expressions of gratitude for the fans, friends, colleagues, and people we've worked with. There is a sort of form to the break-up letter that long-running bands produce: 'thanks everyone that has supported us over the years, bought our records, came to our shows,' and so forth. Then the apologies arrive from fans, friends, and family members: 'we're so sorry to hear this. We hope you are ok.' But, I can't start like that?it seems too mechanical. I can't start that way because it is I who should apologize to all of you. I am sorry you won't ever hear new music from Agalloch. I am sorry our fans in Latin America, China, Russia, Japan, Australia, will never see us play. I'm sorry I won't personally meet many of you after a show and talk about music, movies, school, and share a shot of bourbon. I'm really, really sorry because I had every intention of continuing.

"This was not my decision. I did not want this. I still maintain it was not necessary. I'm sorry it had to be this way. I am personally devastated and have not felt this level of grief since my father passed away ten years ago. So, if you are sad, upset, pissed, or bitter?I share these feelings with you. I know Agalloch deeply touched a lot of people. And I honor that by grieving in solidarity with all of you. Agalloch was an incalculable part of my identity and I'll be walking as half a man for some time now. I want to thank many people. I am terrified of forgetting anyone as my mind isn't all that clear today. So, for now, I really want to thank the fans from the bottom of my heart. My favorite activity was meeting all of you after a gig, or before a gig. The spiritual connection you and I shared during a show was the closest I, an atheist, have ever felt to God. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You might think our music helped you through the dark times in your lives, but all along you were helping me avoid the darkness. Sincerely, Don Anderson, New York, May 14, 2016."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Agalloch
Posted: 14.05.2016 by HaaskAksaaH

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 72   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 666 users
14.05.2016 - 23:03
no one
Account deleted
Good time to split i reckon
14.05.2016 - 23:39
musclassia
Staff
Very disappointing. I'm just glad I managed to see Agalloch and Riverside live for the first times in 2015 before their respective 2016's. The Mantle and AATG are pretty monumental works, but the following two weren't quite as great, it's possible that carrying on without the right inspiration and dedication might've seen their subsequent output fall away in quality, at least at this point they leave (for now) on a high.
15.05.2016 - 00:05
Maco
Pvt Funderground
:c
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
15.05.2016 - 01:35
MyNameJeff
I never really understood what was so great about them tbh. A little overrated perhaps, but it sucks to see them split up. I still enjoyed some of their songs.
15.05.2016 - 02:34
I am so devastated by this news. I can't begin to describe how important a role this band has played in my life these past few years. It hurts so much, having to wake up every morning from now on knowing that Agalloch has split up. ;_;
----
"Time contracts, then expands, all in tune with the stirrings of the heart."
15.05.2016 - 03:47
Overrwatcher
This split up hit me harder than I thought. Agalloch was always a band I only somewhat enjoyed (never been much of a black metal fan), but they were so different at the time from other bands. It's hard to imagine a world of black metal without them, they were hugely influential on American black metal and you can hear their influences from especially Ashes Against The Grain in popular BM bands like Deafheaven (who have cited them as an influence) and other bands. I still think that splitting up is the best thing for them to do, better to stop while you're still considered a great band than to have a long, extended career of poor music.

RIP Agalloch, you will be missed
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
15.05.2016 - 05:04
MelancholiaC
Written by 3rdWorld on 14.05.2016 at 13:47

Even though not everyone can be Ihsahn, I hope a good Solo project comes out of this.

My thoughts exactly. Emperor is also one of the few that chose to split before waning inspiration astray; now I enjoy Ihsahn's solo even more, so you never know... Unlike other here, I actually like Serpent a lot, think that Marrow Of The Spirit is one of their best, and that Ashes is a bit overrated lol.
15.05.2016 - 10:31
skelator
Written by Ikuinen on 14.05.2016 at 15:08

I agree their latest album wasn't that good... but damn

Rubbish talk...it was their best!
----
Best Metal Albums of 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jaZJRBeBw

Best Metal Demos: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HtsgSQjV44
15.05.2016 - 11:51
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
In a way, I understand their decision. Their last 2 albums have been inferior to the first 3. The quality started to degrade significantly with every release they made. Huge respect though that they quit before becoming a parody of themselves. Bands need to know when to quit, especially when they are aware that they can't contribute anything anymore.
15.05.2016 - 14:34
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
I was just listening to 'In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion' on youtube and there was a comment 'Farewell, Agalloch' and I was like 'wait, what?!' but honestly... last album was average at best so maybe it is a good time to take a (long?) break. They might return like many bands did, so it might be just a long hiatus, not a total disbanding. We will see.
Thank you Agalloch, see you later.
15.05.2016 - 15:17
SlapTap
Calling yourself a "visionary" doesn't reek of humility.
15.05.2016 - 16:19
JayMo4
Written by corrupt on 14.05.2016 at 19:08
They made these albums by choice. And they know they're bad, to the point of admitting that on stage. Maybe their dysfunctionality has been the problem there. But the criticism is well justified if you ask me.

Artists are often their own worst critics, of course. I remember when Akerfeldt came out and apologized for Deliverance and called it boring. While it certainly isn't the best album Opeth ever did, it's a hell of a lot better than being worthy of apology (and most fans I've talked to would tell you it is better than anything they've done recently.)
I'd also point out that Haughm didn't seem to care for Ashes at all, even after so many of us loved it. He called it too polished and overproduced, and I think Marrow was an over-correction in response to those feelings. I don't think it's any secret that most of us around here prefer Ashes to Marrow. So if the argument is that we can tell Marrow or Serpent were bad because the band admitted it, well, they didn't like Ashes either.

There is no question to me that the last two Agalloch albums aren't as good as the previous three. I just don't get why some people talk about them like they're bad deathcore or something. It's like internet critics always have to love something or hate it; if it's not a perfect 10 it must be garbage.
15.05.2016 - 17:05
Sang Dalang Abu
Shit Shit Shit Shit
15.05.2016 - 19:13
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by JayMo4 on 15.05.2016 at 16:19

Artists are often their own worst critics, of course. I remember when Akerfeldt came out and apologized for Deliverance and called it boring. While it certainly isn't the best album Opeth ever did, it's a hell of a lot better than being worthy of apology (and most fans I've talked to would tell you it is better than anything they've done recently.)
I'd also point out that Haughm didn't seem to care for Ashes at all, even after so many of us loved it. He called it too polished and overproduced, and I think Marrow was an over-correction in response to those feelings. I don't think it's any secret that most of us around here prefer Ashes to Marrow. So if the argument is that we can tell Marrow or Serpent were bad because the band admitted it, well, they didn't like Ashes either.

There is no question to me that the last two Agalloch albums aren't as good as the previous three. I just don't get why some people talk about them like they're bad deathcore or something. It's like internet critics always have to love something or hate it; if it's not a perfect 10 it must be garbage.

Hm. I didn't know he didn't like Ashes himself. I don't even consider it overproduced. Especially the drums have a somewhat displaced sound that I always enjoyed. However, Akerfeldt was grumpy about both albums being released individually as opposed to the double album they planned for. He didn't think the albums worked on their own. I can't imaging he actually didn't like the final product.
Trying to overcorrect for a clean production doesn't explain the lack of clean singing and all the blastbeats on the new albums. Unless he wanted Agalloch to be a pure black band. I guess the reason why people hate the albums so much is because of how sterile they feel - Marrow more than Serpent. The songs suddenly sound like randomly merged samples with no progression or recurring theme, something they did on all previous albums. That doesn't make the albums objectively bad, but the reaction here in the thread shows what a special place the band had for its ingenuity. These bands always have a harder time releasing mediocre stuff. But Agalloch made it especially hard for themselves, going on tours playing the new stuff that people just didn't want to hear. And they kept playing the new songs even though the vast majority always came for their first three albums and their respective EPs. I've been on several concerts where Haughm commented the lack of cheers when announcing new material with apologetic phrases. But they just didn't change their setlist. So, even if it's speculation, if they broke up for lack of appreciation, the did have it coming there.
----
15.05.2016 - 21:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am glad I managed to see them live in 2013 (where they play whole Faustian Echoes )
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.05.2016 - 22:51
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I feel like I am part of a minority that believes Marrow is one of their best.
15.05.2016 - 22:56
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Guest on 15.05.2016 at 22:51

First 4 albums are great. I really like Marrow but Mantle is still their best.
15.05.2016 - 22:58
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Guest on 15.05.2016 at 22:51
Maybe that'll change if you explained, why
----
15.05.2016 - 23:49
Shocked, not only for the fact that they split up, but also for not having seen them live. Now I really do regret for not going to their show held in Athens a few months ago.
16.05.2016 - 00:38
Opethian
Wish Agalloch the best
16.05.2016 - 09:57
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Marrow Of The Spirit was superb, I prefer it more than Ashes Against The Grain.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
16.05.2016 - 14:17
thatkellygirl
Sad to hear this, I really enjoyed their work!
16.05.2016 - 14:29
Sword_Chant
A few people have mentioned their last two efforts were weaker, but I honestly don't think there was ever a "bad" Agalloch album, even The Serpent And The Sphere was enjoyable.
16.05.2016 - 19:11
Heartless
Hail Agalloch
16.05.2016 - 22:14
IvoStrauts
Agalloch is the only band that has only very strong albums. All LPs are on my playlist. I don't know why, but I bought Agalloch t-shirt two weeks ago - it arrived the day before yesterday :/
16.05.2016 - 22:41
Michaelgpc
Very sad news this, great band, great music, Heavy Metal will be lesser without Agalloch...
17.05.2016 - 00:58
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Michaelgpc on 16.05.2016 at 22:41

Heavy Metal will be lesser without Agalloch...

*Post-rock
17.05.2016 - 03:04
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
To quote myself from there FB, where sadly I never got any likes for admittedly.

"The Serpent And The Sphere and The White has got such a graceful whisk of flow throughout that it naturally became for me, my most personal accessible works. I became constantly more invoked by your sense of artistic depiction ever since I initially discovered The Mantle on a (suitably) cold December silver day in 2009. Thank you to all of you for opening me to considerable new areas of interest, from botany, to Emerson, to armillary spheres, from Goethe to Veleda's photography to incense and elks. The times me and you spoke briefly in London (Underworld, 2012) and Glasgow last year mean so much to me because I find it personally more inspiring to talk about relevant subject matter instead of musicianship like others have before. After all, music comes from such thoughts and I truly hope that Agalloch's spirit will prevail once again across the sky for aeons to come. Also R.I.P. to Anefi Shakur. Another brilliant mind gone...."
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

17.05.2016 - 07:33
HaaskAksaaH
To anyone who would like to read Don's statement:

Dear Everyone,
Usually statements like these open with expressions of gratitude for the fans, friends, colleagues, and people we've worked with. There is a sort of form to the break-up letter that long-running bands produce: "thanks everyone that has supported us over the years, bought our records, came to our shows," and so forth. Then the apologies arrive from fans, friends, and family members: "we're so sorry to hear this. We hope you are ok." But, I can't start like that?it seems too mechanical. I can't start that way because it is I who should apologize to all of you.

I am sorry you won't ever hear new music from Agalloch. I am sorry our fans in Latin America, China, Russia, Japan, Australia, will never see us play. I'm sorry I won't personally meet many of you after a show and talk about music, movies, school, and share a shot of bourbon. I'm really, really sorry because I had every intention of continuing.
This was not my decision.
I did not want this.
I still maintain it was not necessary.

I'm sorry it had to be this way. I am personally devastated and have not felt this level of grief since my father passed away ten years ago. So, if you are sad, upset, pissed, or bitter?I share these feelings with you. I know Agalloch deeply touched a lot of people. And I honor that by grieving in solidarity with all of you. Agalloch was an incalculable part of my identity and I'll be walking as half a man for some time now.

I want to thank many people. I am terrified of forgetting anyone as my mind isn't all that clear today. So, for now, I really want to thank the fans from the bottom of my heart. My favorite activity was meeting all of you after a gig, or before a gig. The spiritual connection you and I shared during a show was the closest I, an atheist, have ever felt to God. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You might think our music helped you through the dark times in your lives, but all along you were helping me avoid the darkness.

Sincerely,
Don Anderson
New York, May 14, 2016
17.05.2016 - 20:15
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Neill Jameson with throwing some shade and probably a lot of truth: http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/5/17/kriegs-neill-jameson-on-the-trappings-of-ego

Hits total: 9089 | This month: 27