Metal Storm logo
H.I.M

Original post

Posted by Anathemani@c, 26.03.2007 - 12:32
No official HIM thread in general.. Sounds weird to me... I dont think that a band like HIM should only have three threads about some alboums or just some of their news.. I opened this thread cause this is a band that has envolved in metal music, but it's fans are based anywhere. Anyone knows HIM and all of us have talked about Ville Valo and his attitude many times. Then, discuss about Ville Valo's attitude or even about the full-length alboums the band has released.
17.01.2008 - 02:36
marillionfan
Account deleted
I'm not into HIM much but their last album Venus Doom was a very nice surprise for me, from a band I didn't expect much, except commercial goth-rock; actually the album is really good. it's their least commercial album. Really good work IMO.
19.01.2008 - 20:02
Elodie Artour
Slania
Least commercial?!
Should I listen to it,indeed?
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
19.01.2008 - 20:45
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Elodie Artour on 19.01.2008 at 20:02

Least commercial?!
Should I listen to it,indeed?

if you ever liked them, you should listen to it, if not, then I don't know, frankly. To me it's an unexpectedly good album, that's all.
19.01.2008 - 20:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
One of the most boring bands I've seen live. I don't like HIM on the studio albums but Ville Valo is such an energetic and fun person in interviews so I actually had some hope that he would bring forth that in a show. Well, he didn't and it was one of the most forgetable shows I've seen.
----
21.01.2008 - 19:15
Elodie Artour
Slania
@marillionfan:Well,then I will,for sure.
----
15.02.2008 - 19:33
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
ive never really liked HIM, i mean most of their songs have the words: love, tomb, death, funeral etc. maybe i should download their new album??? hmmmmm -> i'll do it now!
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
16.02.2008 - 16:03
FOOCK Nam
I like Join Me In Death, and Rip Wings Of Butterfly, Killing Lonliness. IMO they are easy to get into. I love the lyric of Rip Wings Of Butterfly. Fairly that this band is one of non metal bands I like, not a huge fan...
16.02.2008 - 23:59
Elodie Artour
Slania
I adore Ville's vocals!
----
17.02.2008 - 16:33
Amarath
Account deleted
I've been a great HIM's fan when I was younger...now I've changed my tastes a bit, but I still like their first works! Razorblade romance, Deep shadows and brilliant highlights, Love metal are very good albus, nothing t to say about that. Ville is quite good in finding the right athmospheres, both for his attitude in composing, for his voice and even for his "glam- vampire" look...but...let me say, I've heard many live-tracks and...URGH...
27.02.2008 - 18:00
omjaimes
omjaimes
somebody have a new DVD ...???
28.02.2008 - 01:06
ß
Problem?
I enjoy HIM quite a bit especially the new cd Venus Doom but most people seem to dislike them
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
28.02.2008 - 21:46
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by ß on 28.02.2008 at 01:06

I enjoy HIM quite a bit especially the new cd Venus Doom but most people seem to dislike them

Which is not right because HIM have got some very good work.
----
28.02.2008 - 23:22
ß
Problem?
I agree. I can't name a cd that I really dislike by them
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
01.03.2008 - 09:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.02.2008 at 16:33

I've been a great HIM's fan when I was younger...now I've changed my tastes a bit, but I still like their first works! Razorblade romance, Deep shadows and brilliant highlights, Love metal are very good albus, nothing t to say about that. Ville is quite good in finding the right athmospheres, both for his attitude in composing, for his voice and even for his "glam- vampire" look...but...let me say, I've heard many live-tracks and...URGH...

I never wasnt HIM fan, but I us eto like band, but nowdays I can only listen firts album , maybe firts 2 other albums its like pop for me
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.08.2008 - 00:57
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I saw some videos and all I can say is: boring. Also Vilee's vocals ar not particulary outstanding, and with that name... I thought it would be a heavier band.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
01.08.2008 - 17:33
Macedonia
Account deleted
HIM have some good songs(Funeral Of Hearts,Join Me...) but I dont understand their genre. Love metal?
Light metal?WTF?
03.08.2008 - 07:26
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 01.08.2008 at 17:33

HIM have some good songs(Funeral Of Hearts,Join Me...) but I dont understand their genre. Love metal?
Light metal?WTF?

It's just suomi metal with another name.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.08.2008 - 13:38
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I saw HIM last Saturday at Ankkarock. I didn't expect much, so I was really surprised about how good the gig was. The earlier gigs I've seen have more or less been about Ville Valo being too drunk to remember the lyrics of the songs, but being sober really suits him. He was like another person. I loved the way he took the attention of the audience. He seemed relaxed. Maybe it was because Ankkarock is sort of a "home festival" for HIM. They even played some songs from the first album that they usually never play. It was so great!
----
You'll never walk alone.
12.09.2008 - 00:19
Anathemani@c
Here in Greece HIM have played live 2 times.. And I dont want to talk about the tickets... 35 and 40 for one and only band??? Without opening act??? WTF? But anyway, I think that their best albums are razorblade romance and Deep shadows...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
17.09.2008 - 07:49
If only HIM sung in Finnish instead of English. The music is good when the mood is right and Ville is a talented singer, but damn his lyrics make me cringe and break the atmosphere created by the songs, to the point of being well-nigh unlistenable.
"The Beginning of the End" is an exception though, it works solidly as it is. The early vox were more rough around the edges and balanced out the cheese, but as the vox got more polished in later albums it bacame harder and harder to hide. Which is a shame, the melodies are excellent and can be very moving.
17.09.2008 - 12:01
VPeter
Quite possibly the worst Depressive rock band out there. Stop labeling them Goth, HIM is as Goth as Micheal Jackson.
17.09.2008 - 16:58
Anathemani@c
Written by VPeter on 17.09.2008 at 12:01

Quite possibly the worst Depressive rock band out there. Stop labeling them Goth, HIM is as Goth as Micheal Jackson.

I think your example was in all ways wrong...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
04.11.2008 - 21:32
Land Of Doom
Expressly I Dont See HIM A Metal band

it look likes hard rock

the Genre of it a very strange kind Soumi

I Dont Know Why They Classified It With Metal bands
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
06.11.2008 - 09:05
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Should prolly be in alternative... its more like emo alt-rock or something.

wtf is suomi anyway?
07.11.2008 - 15:39
routa
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.11.2008 at 09:05

wtf is suomi anyway?

A Northern European country, between Sweden & Russia. Also known as Finland. Also the Finnish language.

Seriously, that's got to be the single most retarded genre definition. And yes, I find it offensive.
10.03.2009 - 00:49
DayFly
Written by Guest on 07.11.2008 at 15:39

Written by Guest on 06.11.2008 at 09:05

wtf is suomi anyway?

A Northern European country, between Sweden & Russia. Also known as Finland. Also the Finnish language.

Seriously, that's got to be the single most retarded genre definition. And yes, I find it offensive.

I've been wondering whether I should ask someplace what that word meant. Who coined this term? Or is it just a new way to label certain bands as metal?
10.03.2009 - 00:59
ForeverDarkWoods
I've never liked HIM at all. In fact, I wouldn't even consider HIM to be a metal band. It's more like emoish commercial alternative with gothic tendencies. It's just not heavy enough to be metal IMO, and all that I've heard has completely lacked any metal riffing structure. I'd much sooner call Slipknot metal than HIM (and you wouldn't catch me dead doing that). I understand why Metal Archives doesn't allow this on their site....

I can understand why routa finds the term "Suomi Metal" to be offensive when it's applied to HIM, seeing as Finland actually has produced good metal. *goes off to listen to Impaled Nazarene*
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
10.03.2009 - 02:59
DayFly
Here we go again...

I was not trying to bring up the discussion whether or not HIM is metal, least of all read a new post full of genre pigeonholing. It's nothing personal, it just that this happens with such a frequency on forums that it has became awfully tiring and repetitive.
18.04.2009 - 17:49
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Oh, yea, I don't even listen/read when people come up with great ideas that HIM isn't metal. O rly, you should get a phd for discovering that out. They have been rock since Razorblade Romance, brainiacs.

I have been a fan of the band since I was a tennage angsty lil girl and now it has passed 10 years since then and I still love the band. I just find them so unique.

Greates Lovesongs Vol. 666 is one of the best albums I own. It's dark, poetic, diabolic and enlightening at the same time. For You has to be one of HIM's best songs, as well as In Our Diabolikal Rapture.

Razorblade Romance is one of my aboslutely faves A very well constructed, solid rock sound, very melodic. I fell in love with Gone With The Sin for the first time I heard that song. It combines fragility at one (Gone With The Sin, One Lastt Time, Heaven Tonight) and more raw and organisc sound (Right Here In My Arms, I Love You (Prelude To Tragedy), Sigillum Diaboli) at the other side. This album, for me, has it all that a good album needs to have; no fillers, one great songs following other, great guitars and Ville's amazing voice.

Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights was HIM's trip to more pop oriented, but still rock based sound. Nonetheless, a great pop-rocka album, much lighter than for example GLV666, with much more acoustic sound and catchy tunes. Pretending just opened it up, but what amazed me on this album were Lose You Tonight, Beautiful and Love You Like I Do; first a very consistent rock song, second a gentle romantic tune, and third a doom-metal-driven closure.

Love Metal was my first dissapointment by HIM. At first. Now I also adore this album. Its sound is alike DSABH, quite light and TBH, there are some songs that don't impress me much. But some do, such as Soul On Fire and the epic Love's Requiem.

Dark Light was a srupassor to Love Metal and with this album HIM again proved they are a band that know what they're doing and they're doing it great. A very melodic rock album, Wins of A Butterfly, Play Dead and Nightside of Eden being my personal best.

Venus Doom was a second HIM disappointment for me, of course, till I got used to it. I think its sound is even harder than Dark Light and Bleed Well and Love In Cold Blood are my personal faves.

As for mr. Valo singing about love all the time - I like it. I don't get hung on lyrics though, but I rather listen him sing about that than about holokaust or smth even lamer : And even if he does, I think Valo is such an exceptional singer, I love the colour of his voice and what he can do with it. I guess even if I weren't a HIM fan I would acknowledge him as one of most charismatic frontmans.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.