03. Ashes Of The Damned
04. Ocean Of Wounds
05. Count The Dead
06. Fenrir Hunts
07. Root Of The Mountain
08. Endless
09. Riding On The Wind [Judas Priest cover] [bonus]
10. Nebular Ravens Winter [Immortal cover] [bonus]

Seven years and a blizzard of litigation have passed since we last heard the batrachoid gnarring of Immortal frontman and painty-faced Boston terrier Abbath. Amidst internal struggles and various controversies, what was supposed to be a glorious return to fame quickly descended into an uncomfortable mistake. Frolic at the heart of winter for too long and you're bound to catch cold.

Perhaps I have simply grown too accustomed to the so-raw-it-still-has-a-pulse school of black metal production, but Abbath sounds flatter than Kansas. I don't hear icy gales of bloody, frigid misanthropy; I hear a bunch of guys sitting in a studio cutting austere, dispassionate tracks and then going home before discussing how the cogs all fit together. This album feels as rushed, pressurized, and incohesive as the recording process and birth of the band itself must have been. Moreover, while many of the songs are conceptually compelling and could have razed mountains if recorded 15 years ago, Abbath's own dreary, sloppy performance robs tracks like "Ocean Of Wounds" and "Root Of The Mountain" of impact.

Contrary to the norm, it's the small touches that make Abbath worse than it needed to be. The acoustic guitars in "Winterbane" don't come through strongly enough to overtake the electric instruments and contribute something, but sound just absurd and twangy enough to be distracting. The symphonic effects, thankfully rarer than the "olds grandpas guitars," are more bloated and self-parodic than any Manowar album cover. It's a symphonic effect, really; the keyboards make only a single appearance in "Ashes Of The Damned" and are then recycled at the end of the song, raising questions as to why somebody brought his keyboard to the studio at all if it were only going to get used once (and improperly at that). The band even becomes Motörhead for the last 30 seconds or so of "Winterbane," a creative decision that is confusing, to say the least. As far as I'm concerned, the drums really keep this album afloat, though King seems to be doing some pretty interesting things on those occasions when his bass shows up in the mix.

Stylistically, Abbath seems to have made a mild departure from his former ways. We hear black metal in Abbath's trademark gurgling and the tremolo-picked, sometimes frosty riffs, but a lot of the album has the thicker, heavier, later-era-Immortal feeling that verges on death metal. The album generally feels distanced from Immortal otherwise in style and substance, with a number of mid-paced tracks incorporating elements of more standard heavy metal (even groove or thrash), and Abbath isn't even as heavy as, say, Sons Of Northern Darkness, leaving it in this awkward no man's land of stifling production, drastically varied performances, and uneven songwriting that confuses the album's true direction.

Abbath clearly believes that he is Immortal, having tried to take the name for himself, unilaterally retire the project, and then recreate the classic experience on his first solo album. Unfortunately, arrogant velleities aside, Abbath is not Immortal, at least not anymore, and neither he nor his music can seem to "Withstand The Fall Of Time."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written on 08.07.2016 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 35   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 417 users
08.07.2016 - 20:19
Necrotion7
Even though I enjoy this release (diet immortal is better then no immortal) I think all these points are very valid
08.07.2016 - 20:43
Maco
Pvt Funderground
OMGOMGOMGOMG How dare you giving this masterpiss of trve metal a 5.5 while giving a 9 to Babymetallllll!!!!!!!!!! You are an embarrasement for true metal. You are the reas0n why m3t4l is dieying. I should sue you for having badddd t444st3333. I'm n00t 3ven r3ad1ng this r3v1ew cuz I s4w the rating and th4t's en0ugh. You ar3 th3 r3as0nn whyyy I'm v000t1ng for Lord Sir Trump. He will make m3tal and 4m3rica gr3at 4gain.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.07.2016 - 20:52
Rating: 6
sbgmetal
Sounds like a fair score to me, i found the album quite uninspired
08.07.2016 - 21:03
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Guest on 08.07.2016 at 20:35

Uh....NO! 5.5? Hell no. By the way You rated Babymetal with 9.0 and the legendary lord of the black metal Abbath with 5.5? Have you heard the album?

I rated Metal Resistance a 9.0 because I love that album and Abbath a 5.5 because I don't love that album. I respect Abbath for his work with Immortal, which I think is generally of a high quality, but I listened to this album to hear these eight songs, not Abbath's past, not his reputation, not his back catalogue. If you rated this album based on Abbath's legacy and not the actual quality of the album, my distaste for which I think I've explained pretty reasonably, then I assert that I'm not the one who needs to listen to Abbath again.

I'll also point out that the only thing you can deduce by comparing my various album scores is that I like some bands more than others. My opinion of Babymetal has nothing to do with my ability to discuss the pros and cons of a black metal album.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
08.07.2016 - 21:04
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Maco on 08.07.2016 at 20:43

OMGOMGOMGOMG How dare you giving this masterpiss of trve metal a 5.5 while giving a 9 to Babymetallllll!!!!!!!!!! You are an embarrasement for true metal. You are the reas0n why m3t4l is dieying. I should sue you for having badddd t444st3333. I'm n00t 3ven r3ad1ng this r3v1ew cuz I s4w the rating and th4t's en0ugh. You ar3 th3 r3as0nn whyyy I'm v000t1ng for Lord Sir Trump. He will make m3tal and 4m3rica gr3at 4gain.

Come back when you learn to spell.
08.07.2016 - 21:09
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Guest on 08.07.2016 at 20:38

You called him 'self-parodic'? How much parody are there in Babymetal?

Babymetal isn't strictly a parody; its music is certainly predicated on humorous self-awareness, but the project is more experiment than parody. Precedent exists, as do signs of evolution. We're not here, however, to discuss the merits of an entirely different band. I referred to one moment on Abbath as self-parodic because it feels out-of-place and undercuts the mood that the album tries to establish elsewhere, utilizing a tactic common to black metal bands. Those keyboards sound ridiculous to me and I cannot take them seriously.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
08.07.2016 - 21:09
Maco
Pvt Funderground
:p
----
08.07.2016 - 21:13
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Daniell on 08.07.2016 at 21:04

No need to leave in that case.
----
08.07.2016 - 21:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Daniell on 08.07.2016 at 21:04

Written by Maco on 08.07.2016 at 20:43

Are you guys trying to summarize the internet or something?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.07.2016 - 22:12
RobRadcliffe
Account deleted
Oh, nice! Awesome! 5,5 is better than 1. Nice. I thought it would be worse. I dunno, I like this album, I rate it with 8.
08.07.2016 - 22:14
zikon
Never understood the hype of the album anyways.
----
"The poetry of the earth is never dead" John Keats
09.07.2016 - 00:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have to agree band is just like no soul, just play a bit Yngee , Joe Satriani, Steve Ray, Vaughan dude , all what can play good instruments but has no soul into music, same here
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.07.2016 - 01:18
Overrwatcher
Written by Guest on 08.07.2016 at 20:38

You called him 'self-parodic'? How much parody are there in Babymetal?

There's a difference between intentional parody and unintentional parody. Babymetal is the former, Abbath the latter.

Babymetal's situation, they are taking the piss out on themselves and having fun with it. The parody doesn't feel out-of-place as a result. Similar to how Gloryhammer is good because of how well they embrace the parody.

Abbath's situation, he's trying to be serious and live up to his old days but comes off as a parody. To give a parallel, have a metalcore band, Capture The Crown. They're pretty serious but everything about it builds up to the band being so ridiculously over-the-top when it shouldn't. They come off as a parody of the entire Asking Alexandria style when that's not their intention. Same concept with Abbath.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
09.07.2016 - 02:05
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Welcome to Metal Storm, where we keep you up to date on the hot new releases from 6 months ago
09.07.2016 - 02:24
moe5512
And I who thought that Immortal actually was a parody band
09.07.2016 - 06:29
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Guest on 09.07.2016 at 02:05

hot new releases from 6 months ago

I think you mean cold, bitter, frosty releases from beyond the permafrost of time immemorial.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
09.07.2016 - 10:00
Alondate
Bad review for a good/average album
09.07.2016 - 10:36
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Alondate on 09.07.2016 at 10:00

Bad review for a good/average album

Did you not read the review? I used the word "batrachoid." That automatically makes it a good review.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
09.07.2016 - 16:34
FYA
Destroyer
Y'know what is Abbath doing to wash up his paint from face? He's takin a bath.
09.07.2016 - 20:31
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Irritable Ted on 08.07.2016 at 22:46

People aren't going to let you forget that Babymetal review are they. Bad luck mate.

I can see it now: a future wherein every review I write is filled with comments saying, "wtf u gave Babymetal a 9 and u only gave dis super triple kvlt album a 3.14159265358979323846 u suck and are not tr00 metal"
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
10.07.2016 - 19:48
Malignar
I agree the production is odd and not very good. I also agree that the songwriting is not his best. It is however, considerably better than the latest Immortal album for the aggression alone. It is most definitely not a 5.5 album.

Sidenote: Abbath is Immortal, despite what some say. He wrote 99% of the material in the last 15 years, except lyrics (who cares about lyrics in extreme metal anyway). It may not have been the case had Demonaz not hurt himself...but he did. We will see on the "Immortal" album that they are working on.
11.07.2016 - 06:25
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 09.07.2016 at 20:31

dis super triple kvlt album

Schammasch?
----
11.07.2016 - 07:38
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Maco on 11.07.2016 at 06:25

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 09.07.2016 at 20:31

dis super triple kvlt album

Schammasch?

I wasn't even thinking about that, but yes, that'll do nicely.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
11.07.2016 - 08:42
DJ Cosimoto
I'm not that much into classic black metal or immortal... But I really like several tracks on this album... Does not deserve 5.5 imo....
13.07.2016 - 19:39
Rating: 8
barnesy
I like this album. I agree with many points of the review, but 5.5 is much too low.
14.07.2016 - 02:39
nikarg
Staff
I can see where you're coming from and respect your points, but for some reason I find this album extremely enjoyable and catchy. I have been listening to this as well as vektor's new album constantly in 2016. The only track that I cannot stand and think it's a joke is the bonus cover of judas priest's riding on the wind. I strongly think that 5.5 is way too low, but taste is subjective after all..
15.07.2016 - 09:40
Rating: 7
Nicko's Nose
Written by Guest on 08.07.2016 at 20:35

Uh....NO! 5.5? Hell no. By the way You rated Babymetal with 9.0 and the legendary lord of the black metal Abbath with 5.5? Have you heard the album?

and you rated half of the top albums of 2016 1/10 even though you didn't listen to them to get them out of the top 20. You're no better, kiddo.
15.07.2016 - 16:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ haha
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.07.2016 - 23:48
Rating: 4
Guib
Thrash Talker
Agreed Screaming. This is not good. I'd be even more severe than you are, nice review by the way.

Screaming - ''batrachoid gnarring of Immortal frontman and painty-faced Boston terrier Abbath.''

Bro, I laughed.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.07.2016 - 00:03
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Guib on 15.07.2016 at 23:48

Agreed Screaming. This is not good. I'd be even more severe than you are, nice review by the way.

Screaming - ''batrachoid gnarring of Immortal frontman and painty-faced Boston terrier Abbath.''

Bro, I laughed.

That sentence is a personal favorite of mine.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.

Hits total: 8498 | This month: 19