Metal Storm logo
Traditional Doom Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 23.05.2006 - 11:16
IIRC Dr. X started a similar topic in the old forum. Anyway, I thought I just as well a start a new one here. With Traditional Doom Metal I mean Sabbath-based bluesy Doom with clean vocals. Thus the thread is meant for bands like for Saint Vitus, Trouble and Candlemass but not My Dying Bride or Katatonia.

Anyway, my favourite Doom Metal bands are the following:
Black Sabbath
Blood Thirsty Demons
Candlemass
Dantesco
Doomsword
Internal Void
Orodruin
Pagan Altar
Pale Divine
Pentagram
Place Of Skulls
Reverend Bizarre
Saint Vitus
Solitude Aeturnus
Spirit Caravan
The Gates Of Slumber
Trouble
Witchcraft
Witchfinder General

Other good Doom bands I listen to are:
Abdullah
Acrimony
Against Nature
Begotten
Bigelf
Blood Farmers
Cathedral
Confessor
Count Raven
Doomshine
Earth Flight
Eight Hands For Kali
Electric Wizard
Forsaken (MLT)
Goatsnake
Grand Magus
Great Coven
Isole
Krux
Leather Nun
L'impero Delle Ombre
Merca
Minotauri
Mood
Penance
Sorcery
Spiritus Mortis
Starchild
The Hidden Hand
The Obsessed
Thunderstorm
Veni Domine
Voodooshock
Wall Of Sleep
Well Of Souls (US)
Witch Mountain
World Below

The list became quite extensive... Anyway, any more Trad. Doomsters around here (besides Dr. X)? And in case, yes, what are your favourites?
20.08.2006 - 16:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=4900] on 20.08.2006 at 16:26

Written by Anathemani@c on 20.08.2006 at 14:32
What have you heard from Anathema discography? Anathema have played doom stuff till the Alternative4 alboum.Also, what do you mean by saying that MDB haven't changed to bad side? Have Anathema done so? Or Paradise Lost? No one changes in bad side, but they change not good for you.:nogood:

I've heard almost the whole discography. It was a while ago but IIRC their first releases were Doom/Death and later on they started manufacturing something I wouldn't consider to be Metal at all...

Good sad my freins, sam,e sad Foschino in news section it was :*its sad that Anathema has nothing from metal music'' or something,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.08.2006 - 16:39
lordz
IzZo
What do you guys think of the band Abdullah ?

I'v listened to one song way back ... I remeber it sucked at that time and I wana give them another shot.. whats their best album or song?
any recomendations?
20.08.2006 - 20:49
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Written by lordz on 20.08.2006 at 16:39

What do you guys think of the band Abdullah ?

I'v listened to one song way back ... I remeber it sucked at that time and I wana give them another shot.. whats their best album or song?
any recomendations?

I have the second album and the 2005 year's split album (original CDs) by them. Plus a couple of songs from the first album as .mp3s. I'd recommend to listen to the song Black Helicopters from mentioned second album, namely Graveyard Poetry. It's quite representative for the band's style.
20.08.2006 - 21:42
lordz
IzZo
thanx @Lord Elden ... I'll check it out
08.09.2006 - 01:03
CianideDeath
Account deleted
I really dig Vitus. Sabbath and Goatsnake. Been listening to Revelation(us) and Oversoul(us) alot lately too. Most of the bands mentioned in the first post I like alot aswell.
08.09.2006 - 01:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Doomsword, i just listen them this eve and realy remaind me soem Candlemass but more epic and better and about lyrics thay are great and its more heavy metal lyrics how doom, but still about Scandic and Celit stuff

BTW someone know Count raven home page, ist gone from MA
----

apos;'
[image]
15.09.2006 - 19:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Lord Elden - I just chack Solitude Auternus and Its such amazinhg bnd i saw them videoa nd I realy like speecly firts 3 albums, such a great and super DOOM band

BTW i wanna hear those covers what thay hs recordet specely Black Sabbath cover - ''Heaven and Hell''
----

apos;'
[image]
16.09.2006 - 10:03
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Solitude Aeturnus is recording a new album by the way.
16.09.2006 - 18:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=4900] on 16.09.2006 at 10:03

Solitude Aeturnus is recording a new album by the way.

In saw them video 2005 live in WAO or some german metal festival, poor quality and thay has changed hair cut
----

apos;'
[image]
17.09.2006 - 17:40
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@Lord Elden: It's been a long time since these guys released anything, I'm waitng for it. What do you think of the new Isole album?
18.09.2006 - 01:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@VenoM_BM it remaind sme Anatheme erly stuff, not so heavy but still this band specely new album remainds me early Anathema, and album cover too,
Autumn Leaves, Demon Grean, dunno but I think thay inspirated of Anathema and Katatonia
----

apos;'
[image]
18.09.2006 - 10:22
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2267] on 17.09.2006 at 17:40
What do you think of the new Isole album?

I still haven't bought it (it has been on my want list for quite some time though) and I've been unable to find it on e-mule... I'll probably buy it in October or November, my wallet isn't too corpulent at the moment.
18.09.2006 - 19:09
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by [user id=4900] on 18.09.2006 at 10:22

I still haven't bought it (it has been on my want list for quite some time though) and I've been unable to find it on e-mule... I'll probably buy it in October or November, my wallet isn't too corpulent at the moment.

I too havent heard the new Isole album yet probably will download in this month, gettin OCD's in India of bands like Isole is about immpossible.
There first album was mindblowing and i own the OCD(which i am proud of as was very lucky to get the same) everything on that album is just abt perfect.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=2465
^^Pay Heed To This Great Band!!
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
18.09.2006 - 22:18
Von
Account deleted
Trad doom rules. Saint Vitus, Reverend Bizarre and early Black Sabbath (of course ) are my favourites.

I might be going to see Reverend Bizarre at some big doom metal festival type thing in Camden. One of their last ever gigs. Sucks about the whole breakup thing though.
19.09.2006 - 10:20
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Reverend Bizarre has at least planned several releases before their breakup. A split between Reverend Bizarre and Electric Wizard, a 7" split between RB and Mannhai with Pentagram covers called "Under the Sign of the Wolf", an album called "So Long Suckers" and a single release for that album. So, at least 4 releases, possibly more.
20.09.2006 - 12:26
Wizar'd
Account deleted
Written by [user id=16039] on 18.09.2006 at 22:18

I might be going to see Reverend Bizarre at some big doom metal festival type thing in Camden. One of their last ever gigs. Sucks about the whole breakup thing though.

You better fucking go! I would kill to be in your position. THE GATES OF SLUMBER, REVEREND BIZARRE, CENTURIONS GHOST. Fucking Brillient. All the support bands are fucking killer to, like THE LAMB OF THOTH.
23.09.2006 - 00:30
Von
Account deleted
What i heard is that they had decided that they would end the band after 5 albums in total, but then i heard that they decided to pack it in before that, and that the last one would be called 'How It Was Meant To Be' or something like that, it was in a Metal Hammer interview. Whatever it is, they would be cool live, and it only costs like 7 or 8 quid for the first day (thats when there playing), so might as well go. I dont want to miss yet another great band that passes here (not metal, but I missed the Misfits last night )
24.09.2006 - 14:01
GRIGAL
Account deleted
Lord Elden's list is pretty much a survival list for any old-school Doom freak! I might add:
Solstice (UK),
Doomraiser,
Paul Chain,
Mirror Of Deception,
Manilla Road (much of their stuff could be considered Epic Doom),
Revelation.
25.09.2006 - 08:57
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Doomraiser only has a demo and a 7" out, but they're signed now so I'll guess an album is coming soon enough.

You could also check out the band SAHG. They're debut "I" is out. Pretty solid Doom...
14.10.2006 - 09:49
Hellish Star
Someone who already heard the new Solitude Aeturnus?

I bought the new Krux, sounds great...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
14.10.2006 - 12:44
Unholy_Emperor
I really like Candlemass (specially Epicus Doomicus Metallicus) and Reverend Bizarre, a group with a great atmosphera and feeling.
14.10.2006 - 12:56
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
The new Solitude Aeternus is out? Damn I have to order it! I heard 2 samples from the new Krux, I must get that one two.
14.10.2006 - 14:36
Hellish Star
The release date from the new Solitude is 11 october, no?
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
16.10.2006 - 13:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4900] on 18.09.2006 at 10:22

As you could have guessed from the album review here on Metal Storm it is out now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2006 - 20:25
Lord Elden
Account deleted
Yeah, I'll buy it soon.

Looks like Solitude Aeturnus is late though.
16.10.2006 - 20:33
Sickening Gore
Account deleted
traditional doon metal bands uh, welll since i'm more into doom/death and so, the traditional doom metal bands i like are mostly the pretty good known bands like Witchfinder General, Saint Vitus, Black Sabbath, Trouble, Solitude Aeturnus & Pagan Altar.

Though here and there I also enjoy: Gorilla Monsoon, Pale Divine & Abdullah
08.12.2006 - 20:46
Kurzag
Account deleted
Can´t say that I listen to much traditional Doom. Sahg is probarly the only one. Saw the video "Doom Over the World" by Reverend Bizarre, interesting band.
09.12.2006 - 06:19
tulkas
el parcero
Actually I'm kinda getting into doom, so I know few bands. But one I've heard that I really liked is Ningizzia. Plus, the lyrics are really good also
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
09.12.2006 - 09:53
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
@tulkas: you know this thread is about traditional doom metal? It's actually called like that. Why do some poeple just don't pay attention?

Now talking about some traditional doom metal releases I got Place of Skulls last album, and I am enjoying it a lot. Better than Isole or Soluitude Aeturnus.
09.12.2006 - 15:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=2267] on 09.12.2006 at 09:53

@tulkas: you know this thread is about traditional doom metal? It's actually called like that. Why do some poeple just don't pay attention?

Now talking about some traditional doom metal releases I got Place of Skulls last album, and I am enjoying it a lot. Better than Isole or Soluitude Aeturnus.

I haven't heard Place of Skulls yet, but the latest Solitude Aeturnus is one of the best trad doom releases this year IMO up there with Krux II.
As for Isole, they are decent but I find them hugely overrated in the traditional doom scene.

And talking about traditional doom... Trouble will release their new album Simple Mind Condition on February 20 2007
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996