Metal Storm logo
Traditional Doom Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 23.05.2006 - 11:16
IIRC Dr. X started a similar topic in the old forum. Anyway, I thought I just as well a start a new one here. With Traditional Doom Metal I mean Sabbath-based bluesy Doom with clean vocals. Thus the thread is meant for bands like for Saint Vitus, Trouble and Candlemass but not My Dying Bride or Katatonia.

Anyway, my favourite Doom Metal bands are the following:
Black Sabbath
Blood Thirsty Demons
Candlemass
Dantesco
Doomsword
Internal Void
Orodruin
Pagan Altar
Pale Divine
Pentagram
Place Of Skulls
Reverend Bizarre
Saint Vitus
Solitude Aeturnus
Spirit Caravan
The Gates Of Slumber
Trouble
Witchcraft
Witchfinder General

Other good Doom bands I listen to are:
Abdullah
Acrimony
Against Nature
Begotten
Bigelf
Blood Farmers
Cathedral
Confessor
Count Raven
Doomshine
Earth Flight
Eight Hands For Kali
Electric Wizard
Forsaken (MLT)
Goatsnake
Grand Magus
Great Coven
Isole
Krux
Leather Nun
L'impero Delle Ombre
Merca
Minotauri
Mood
Penance
Sorcery
Spiritus Mortis
Starchild
The Hidden Hand
The Obsessed
Thunderstorm
Veni Domine
Voodooshock
Wall Of Sleep
Well Of Souls (US)
Witch Mountain
World Below

The list became quite extensive... Anyway, any more Trad. Doomsters around here (besides Dr. X)? And in case, yes, what are your favourites?
20.12.2007 - 03:39
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 20.12.2007 at 02:57

It's cool that Reverend Bizarre mentioned the band Mourn in the lyrics to that song! Mourn were a great band, just one proper album but some quality doom rock/metal with great female vocals (quite deep for a woman, and obviously not of the Shitewish variety!) A few of my other faves are mentioned there too (such as Solstice, Warning and Paul Chain, who I mentioned in my post in this thread last year).

I remember reading that in their early days, Dani of Cradle of Filth apparently sabotaged the giant cross that Mourn had onstage and called the band "fucking Christians" or some shit..!?

Mourn are great...

I actually have a funny story to tell about my own experience with them. A few years ago a friend recorded me Mourn's album in a tape, and as I didn't immediately realized that it was a girl singing, my first thought was something like "what a gay vocalist", and it was actually my friend who told me of my mistake. They had became one of my very favourite doom bands with time, although, just a big part of doom, the "metal" part of the equation was long ago forgotten. I think doom rock would be indeed a more appropiate label for what they play, bu the important thing is that they rule, unfortunately it's almost impossible for me to get the original cd.

Another outstanding female-fronted traditional doom band are The River.
12.01.2008 - 01:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone heard Concept of God? I did a brief search but I didn't see anything about them. They have Robert Lowe on vocals, and that was reason enough for me to check them out. iaberis showed them to me today and I think I'm going to buy their newest album asap.

Edit: Are they even doom, or just heavy metal?
12.01.2008 - 02:51
Ellie
Account deleted
I definitely got some good recommendations form your lists. I already listen to Candlemass and Witchfinder General but thats about it. Thanks!
22.03.2008 - 22:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Currently listening to Solstice from the UK. Some really great, faster paced Doom with some shredding solos. Really great musicianship.
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.03.2008 - 22:34
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 22.03.2008 at 22:11

Currently listening to Solstice from the UK. Some really great, faster paced Doom with some shredding solos. Really great musicianship.

Oh yes, I own their two albums and the Halcyon ep. Seriously amazing trad. Doom metal.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.03.2008 - 23:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 22.03.2008 at 22:34

Written by Clintagräm on 22.03.2008 at 22:11

Oh yes, I own their two albums and the Halcyon ep. Seriously amazing trad. Doom metal.

And so do I, a great band.

This summer a double album will be released with their demo material on it. But it will only be released as a double vinyl album though by some small German label.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2008 - 01:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
If the artwork is good, I might buy it. Eventhough I rarely play vinyl. And if I have a job about that time.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.03.2008 - 05:49
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Lucas on 23.03.2008 at 01:14

If the artwork is good, I might buy it. Eventhough I rarely play vinyl. And if I have a job about that time.

Pretty good if you ask me.
----
23.03.2008 - 18:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 23.03.2008 at 01:14

It is about the same price as a cd so that shouldn't be the problem. The biggest problem will be the fact that it will be limited to 500 copies and only the first 250 will have a 20-page booklet included.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2008 - 19:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I'll go camp in front of the house of one of the labelguys.
----

23.03.2008 - 20:40
Southern Wind
Account deleted
damn, for a while I thought Solstice were coming out with a new full-length, too bad it's only a compilation, because they're one of my favourite epic doom bands along with Scald and probably God's Tower

NP: Penance - Parallel Corners
23.03.2008 - 21:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=5080] on 23.03.2008 at 20:40

damn, for a while I thought Solstice were coming out with a new full-length, too bad it's only a compilation, because they're one of my favourite epic doom bands along with Scald and probably God's Tower

NP: Penance - Parallel Corners

Scald is extremely good but somehow the vocals keep on spoiling it a bit for me.

NP: Mirror of Deception/Tefra split 7"vinyl

just finished playing
Forsaken - Dominnaeon
Wijlen Wij - Wijlen Wij (okay not trad doom but great anyways)
Wreck Of The Hepserus - Wreck Of The Hesperus (also not trad dom but very good too)
Saint Vitus - Die Healing
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
(actually Saint Vitus WITHOUT Wino is better than Saint Vitus with IMO)

up next is some more epic doom
Isole - Bliss Of Solitude (wow this album is soooo much bette than anything they released before this it seems like a different band altogether)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2008 - 22:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Listening to some samples from CONFESSOR on their MySpace. Liking it very much.
----

23.03.2008 - 23:15
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2008 at 21:09

Original Vitus was without Wino wasn't it?
----
23.03.2008 - 23:22
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 23.03.2008 at 23:15

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2008 at 21:09

Original Vitus was without Wino wasn't it?

Yes

And I hate Wino
23.03.2008 - 23:26
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by [user id=5080] on 23.03.2008 at 23:22

And I hate Wino

Ah shucks, why? I've never been a big fan of his, but usually I enjoy whatever he has been apart of.
----
24.03.2008 - 00:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 23.03.2008 at 23:26

And I hate Wino

Ah shucks, why? I've never been a big fan of his, but usually I enjoy whatever he has been apart of.

I don't hate Wino, I actually like his voice quite a bit, but somehow when it comes to Saint Vitus and Place Of Skulls I prefer the albums without Wino.

Now playing:

The Obsessed - The Church Within
The Obsessed - Lunar Womb
(both are with Wino)

Place Of Skulls - With Vision (with Wino)
Place Of Skulls - The Black Is Never Far (without Wino but miles superior to With Vision)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2008 - 00:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 23.03.2008 at 22:08

Are you listening to songs off Confessor - Unravelled or off Confessor - Condemned? Because Condemned is extremely harder to get into because of the extremely high-pitched vocals.

The term technical doom doesn't really exist but I think that it should apply to COnfessor since they are doom and technical as hell, fuck, the drumming is just insane. If you ever have the chance watch the Live In Norway dvd and you'll be amazed by the drumming.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2008 - 00:16
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2008 at 00:11

The Obsessed

I'm a fan of The Obsessed. I really enjoy this type of slower, churning Rock/Metal that, while influenced by Sabbath of course, didn't come off as a complete clone, which in my opinion, isn't very imaginative. It's also a little more light on the heart than say the darker sounds of Sabbath, or many of the bands that were spawned afterwards.

By the way, their whole self-titled debut is up for listening on their myspace. That's what I'm doing now. Good idea for anyone who doesn't own it to check them out.
----
24.03.2008 - 03:07
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 23.03.2008 at 23:26

And I hate Wino

Well, I happen to feel the same... I don't really like The Obsessed but I love many projects in which Wino is involved, and I even think "V" is the best Vitus album, although I still can't stand the voice.
24.03.2008 - 03:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2008 at 00:15

Are you listening to songs off Confessor - Unravelled or off Confessor - Condemned? Because Condemned is extremely harder to get into because of the extremely high-pitched vocals.

The term technical doom doesn't really exist but I think that it should apply to COnfessor since they are doom and technical as hell, fuck, the drumming is just insane. If you ever have the chance watch the Live In Norway dvd and you'll be amazed by the drumming.

It turned out to be songs of Unraveled. Downloaded the Condemned album, and damn. Those are indeed some high-pitched vocals indeed. This will really need a looot of spins to get used to be, but for some reason I already find them very interesting, so it should work out in the end.
----

24.03.2008 - 10:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 24.03.2008 at 03:15

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2008 at 00:15

It turned out to be songs of Unraveled. Downloaded the Condemned album, and damn. Those are indeed some high-pitched vocals indeed. This will really need a looot of spins to get used to be, but for some reason I already find them very interesting, so it should work out in the end.

I only saw COnfessor LIVE once and the thing that I remember is most clearly are those high-pitched vocals. At times they were even too high for me
The weird thing is Confessor were on this tour with only Earache bands called Gods Of Grind (1992 or thereabouts) which also featured Cathedral, Entombed and Carcass.
Of course Confessor opened that evening, followed by Cathedral (who had only released Forest of Equilibirum up to that point), then Entombed and Carcass was the headliner.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2008 - 14:45
Hangar XVIII
I really like the Sabbath album Master of Reality.
I recently got all of Witchcrafts albums too, and I like them a lot, especially the song 'If Crimson Was Your Color'.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
25.03.2008 - 15:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hangar XVIII on 25.03.2008 at 14:45

I really like the Sabbath album Master of Reality.
I recently got all of Witchcrafts albums too, and I like them a lot, especially the song 'If Crimson Was Your Color'.

Yeah The Alchemist by Witchcraft is great, especially Walk Between The Lines, If Crimson Was Your Colour, and Hey Doctor. I wonder whow they will be live when I see them in three weeks time
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2008 - 01:26
VPeter
there was a time when I liked only death/doom and funeral doom bands and disliked traditional doom such as Candlemass.
how ever some time later I came in contact with Doomsword mixed traditional doom with viking metal and I loved it and started to give Candlemass an other chance with King of the Grey Islands and now I like Candlemass to. there are some more traditional doom I seriously need to listen to. still there is no way I am getting into the awefull band that is Reverend Bizarre, damn that band is bad.
26.03.2008 - 08:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 26.03.2008 at 01:26

still there is no way I am getting into the awefull band that is Reverend Bizarre, damn that band is bad.

Just because you don't like it you think it's bad?
I don't like Doomsword at all but it is impossible to state they are bad.

Reverend Bizarre are a hard band to get into I agree. IMO it is impossible to get into if you just started listening and liking traditionnal doom metal. But RB are the summit/epitome of traditional doom. Just listen to the bass... that is soooooooooooo Sabbath.
The Rev are brilliant, and it's not without reason they are held in high esteem by 99% of all the players in the traditional doom scene worldwide.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2008 - 10:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Currently enjoying The Gates of Slumber. Heard about these guys a few years back and am actually sitting down to them for the first time. Seems like some pretty enjoyable, faster paced Doom with some very good leads. Great stuff.
----
26.03.2008 - 10:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 26.03.2008 at 10:30

Currently enjoying The Gates of Slumber. Heard about these guys a few years back and am actually sitting down to them for the first time. Seems like some pretty enjoyable, faster paced Doom with some very good leads. Great stuff.

If you like faster paced doom also check out Centurions Ghost though the vocals aren't doomy at all.
The Gates Of Slumber will apparently be releasing their new album in May.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2008 - 10:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2008 at 10:36

If you like faster paced doom also check out Centurions Ghost though the vocals aren't doomy at all.

Indeed, thanks for the heads up. I also just found Memento Mori too and it's fucking great!
----
26.03.2008 - 11:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 26.03.2008 at 10:38

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2008 at 10:36

Indeed, thanks for the heads up. I also just found Memento Mori too and it's fucking great!

Memento Mori I know its good band, werry good but I never had hear nothing from band, cant find even myspace link
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing