Metal Storm logo
Traditional Doom Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 23.05.2006 - 11:16
IIRC Dr. X started a similar topic in the old forum. Anyway, I thought I just as well a start a new one here. With Traditional Doom Metal I mean Sabbath-based bluesy Doom with clean vocals. Thus the thread is meant for bands like for Saint Vitus, Trouble and Candlemass but not My Dying Bride or Katatonia.

Anyway, my favourite Doom Metal bands are the following:
Black Sabbath
Blood Thirsty Demons
Candlemass
Dantesco
Doomsword
Internal Void
Orodruin
Pagan Altar
Pale Divine
Pentagram
Place Of Skulls
Reverend Bizarre
Saint Vitus
Solitude Aeturnus
Spirit Caravan
The Gates Of Slumber
Trouble
Witchcraft
Witchfinder General

Other good Doom bands I listen to are:
Abdullah
Acrimony
Against Nature
Begotten
Bigelf
Blood Farmers
Cathedral
Confessor
Count Raven
Doomshine
Earth Flight
Eight Hands For Kali
Electric Wizard
Forsaken (MLT)
Goatsnake
Grand Magus
Great Coven
Isole
Krux
Leather Nun
L'impero Delle Ombre
Merca
Minotauri
Mood
Penance
Sorcery
Spiritus Mortis
Starchild
The Hidden Hand
The Obsessed
Thunderstorm
Veni Domine
Voodooshock
Wall Of Sleep
Well Of Souls (US)
Witch Mountain
World Below

The list became quite extensive... Anyway, any more Trad. Doomsters around here (besides Dr. X)? And in case, yes, what are your favourites?
26.03.2008 - 11:55
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Bad English on 26.03.2008 at 11:38

Written by Clintagräm on 26.03.2008 at 10:38

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2008 at 10:36

If you like faster paced doom also check out Centurions Ghost though the vocals aren't doomy at all.
The Gates Of Slumber will apparently be releasing their new album in May.

Indeed, thanks for the heads up. I also just found Memento Mori too and it's fucking great!

Memento Mori I know its good band, werry good but I never had hear nothing from band, cant find even myspace link

http://www.myspace.com/mementomoriunofficial
----
The force will be with you, always.
26.03.2008 - 14:45
VPeter
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2008 at 08:16

Written by VPeter on 26.03.2008 at 01:26

still there is no way I am getting into the awefull band that is Reverend Bizarre, damn that band is bad.

Just because you don't like it you think it's bad?
I don't like Doomsword at all but it is impossible to state they are bad.

Reverend Bizarre are a hard band to get into I agree. IMO it is impossible to get into if you just started listening and liking traditionnal doom metal. But RB are the summit/epitome of traditional doom. Just listen to the bass... that is soooooooooooo Sabbath.
The Rev are brilliant, and it's not without reason they are held in high esteem by 99% of all the players in the traditional doom scene worldwide.

no it is just the extreme repetition that does me in, I know they have the talent to make good music, especially the lyrics are outstanding work.
26.03.2008 - 19:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 26.03.2008 at 11:55

Written by Bad English on 26.03.2008 at 11:38

Written by Clintagräm on 26.03.2008 at 10:38

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2008 at 10:36

If you like faster paced doom also check out Centurions Ghost though the vocals aren't doomy at all.
The Gates Of Slumber will apparently be releasing their new album in May.

Indeed, thanks for the heads up. I also just found Memento Mori too and it's fucking great!

Memento Mori I know its good band, werry good but I never had hear nothing from band, cant find even myspace link

http://www.myspace.com/mementomoriunofficial

Thank's but whan I last time look band in MA there wa sno myspce link
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.04.2008 - 04:02
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Has anyone ever listened to Tristitia? They're a (now defunct) Doom Metal band from Sweden. They edge towards the more conventional slow, dark side of Doom Metal, as apposed to something more Blues influenced and/or upbeat. The vocals seem to stand out, being a mix of deep clean singing and raspy screams. Members of Pagan Rites too.

Another kick ass Swedish band is Count Raven, even though the vocals almost sound too much like Ozzy. Listening to them now.
----
02.04.2008 - 09:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 02.04.2008 at 04:02

Has anyone ever listened to Tristitia? They're a (now defunct) Doom Metal band from Sweden. They edge towards the more conventional slow, dark side of Doom Metal, as apposed to something more Blues influenced and/or upbeat. The vocals seem to stand out, being a mix of deep clean singing and raspy screams. Members of Pagan Rites too.

Another kick ass Swedish band is Count Raven, even though the vocals almost sound too much like Ozzy. Listening to them now.

I and its doom, but whit variusss elements, even black doom and I love band but havnt listened ages
----

apos;'
[image]
10.04.2008 - 22:24
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Has anyone heard the new track from Gates of Slumber's new album? It's killer! Check it out.

http://www.myspace.com/thegatesofslumber
----
10.04.2008 - 22:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 10.04.2008 at 22:24

Has anyone heard the new track from Gates of Slumber's new album? It's killer! Check it out.

Not yet, thanks for the link cause I was still planning to check it out.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2008 - 23:02
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.04.2008 at 22:50

Yeah no problem. It has a much more Traditional feel, as opposed to Doom. But great regardless. Got to love the cover art too.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/DoomedTemplars/message%20board/?action=view¤t=NoShadow.jpg

Robert E. Howard would be proud!
----
10.04.2008 - 23:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 10.04.2008 at 23:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.04.2008 at 22:50

Yeah no problem. It has a much more Traditional feel, as opposed to Doom. But great regardless. Got to love the cover art too.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/DoomedTemplars/message%20board/?action=view¤t=NoShadow.jpg

Robert E. Howard would be proud!

Seems to be very Conan inspired just like Suffer No Guilt whihc also had an awesome cover.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.04.2008 - 10:37
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Gates of slumber is a great band I remember I saw them playing live for about 3-4 years ago. Ill check out the new track as soon as I can.
----
11.04.2008 - 13:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Russian trad doom band Scald are awsome, realy lil remainds me Revaned Bizzare and Ordog , slow, long and epic songs about viking themes
Demo and one song from album are in band lable page

http://www.doom-metal.ru/content/mp3/mp3.html
----

apos;'
[image]
11.04.2008 - 15:11
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 11.04.2008 at 13:44

Russian trad doom band Scald are awsome, realy lil remainds me Revaned Bizzare and Ordog , slow, long and epic songs about viking themes

Had you listened to Gods Tower? they're an epic trad doom band from Belarus that play the same style than Scald, but they're even better. Their album "The Eerie" is a blood-chilling masterpiece.
11.04.2008 - 18:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=5080] on 11.04.2008 at 15:11

Written by Bad English on 11.04.2008 at 13:44

Had you listened to Gods Tower? they're an epic trad doom band from Belarus that play the same style than Scald, but they're even better. Their album "The Eerie" is a blood-chilling masterpiece.

I know the band, but iits hard to get once I try download album from page but it was ULTRA slow that I give up, but some palls what I know has tapes, but its history nowdays(not tapes) but palls
----

apos;'
[image]
12.04.2008 - 04:59
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was wondering people's opinions on The Sword? It seems they get a lot of bad rap, or maybe that's just from the elitist fucks over at Metal-Archives, but I don't think they're that bad. Granted, they are total Sabbath worship, but there are a lot worse bands out there. Anyway, nothing original, but would be entertaining to see live.
----
12.04.2008 - 05:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The Sword fucking rule. Their new album isn't as good as Age of Winters, but that was expected. They're one of my favorite bands to play around people who can barely tolerate metal, because they appeal to most people.
14.04.2008 - 00:18
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Dangerboner on 12.04.2008 at 05:55

The Sword fucking rule. Their new album isn't as good as Age of Winters, but that was expected. They're one of my favorite bands to play around people who can barely tolerate metal, because they appeal to most people.

Yeah, they're definitely easy to get into. The only thing that bothers me is that they're, still, almost too Sabbath-y. I mean, I loved Electric Wizard's Sabbath-worship self-titled debut, but I'm glad they evolved into their own sound. I think The Sword, while good, need to do the same.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.04.2008 at 23:06

Seems to be very Conan inspired just like Suffer No Guilt whihc also had an awesome cover.

Yeah. Ken Kelly, who also has done album covers for KISS, Manowar, and Rainbow, along with some Conan artwork used on some collection books (one of which I own and am looking at), had his artwork used for 'Suffer No Guilt.' It was originally called "Revenge of the Viking." So of course it's awesome!

^ That's an image painted for the short story People of the Black Circle, which I read earlier in the semester.
----
14.04.2008 - 21:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Clintagräm on 12.04.2008 at 04:59

I was wondering people's opinions on The Sword? It seems they get a lot of bad rap, or maybe that's just from the elitist fucks over at Metal-Archives, but I don't think they're that bad. Granted, they are total Sabbath worship, but there are a lot worse bands out there. Anyway, nothing original, but would be entertaining to see live.

I just try band out and I agree it was awsome band, it is awsome raely
----

apos;'
[image]
15.04.2008 - 02:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I don't understand that buzz around The Sword, really... they had always sounded like some kind of "traditional doom metal for dummies" for me.
15.04.2008 - 02:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by [user id=5080] on 15.04.2008 at 02:24

I don't understand that buzz around The Sword, really... they had always sounded like some kind of "traditional doom metal for dummies" for me.

Well they're sure not very original, but I don't think they're bad. I could see people liking them and I'm sure they'd be fun live. I had a chance to see them last year but passed it up. You can't go wrong with Sabbath-worship, but you really can't go anywhere either.
----
15.04.2008 - 02:54
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 15.04.2008 at 02:38

Well they're sure not very original, but I don't think they're bad. I could see people liking them and I'm sure they'd be fun live. I had a chance to see them last year but passed it up. You can't go wrong with Sabbath-worship, but you really can't go anywhere either.

I didn't say they're bad, they're an enjoyable band, easy to get into, captures the essence of traditional doom, but at last, nothing remains.
15.04.2008 - 15:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Same for me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.04.2008 - 16:15
Warman
Erotic Stains
I don't understand The Sword either, boring as hell.
----
15.04.2008 - 23:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.04.2008 at 15:08

Same for me.

wtf I thought you liked them xD. Did you change your mind or something? I will admit that the new album isn't the greatest, but I still love their debut.
16.04.2008 - 00:04
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Dangerboner on 15.04.2008 at 23:54

wtf I thought you liked them xD. Did you change your mind or something? I will admit that the new album isn't the greatest, but I still love their debut.

That's just because you're a dummy. Ha!
----
16.04.2008 - 00:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 15.04.2008 at 23:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.04.2008 at 15:08

Same for me.

Somehow I like them less with every listen... strange, but true. It's not that they're crap, but somehow I just find them mildly enjoyable nowadays.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.04.2008 - 13:39
VPeter
curently I am enjoying Warning a lot, I love those vocals, the singer really has an special voice.
16.04.2008 - 14:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 16.04.2008 at 13:39

curently I am enjoying Warning a lot, I love those vocals, the singer really has an special voice.

Yeah a great band with a great vocalist. His vocals are full of emotion. Btw,s eeing them live in Rotterdam on May 2
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2008 - 12:48
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I've been listening to a bit of Solstice lately and am beginning to like them a lot more than I remember. I am thinking of buying one of their releases here within the next few weeks as I start making more money for summer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to which full length to get first. I've only heard songs from 'The New Dark Age' but have only been able to find 'Lamentations' for sale (12 USD) online. I'd like to get my hands on both of them, but am just trying to decide where to start. Regardless, this is some tasty doom. Now playing - "Stormchild."
----
21.05.2008 - 12:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Clintagräm on 21.05.2008 at 12:48

I've been listening to a bit of Solstice lately and am beginning to like them a lot more than I remember. I am thinking of buying one of their releases here within the next few weeks as I start making more money for summer and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to which full length to get first. I've only heard songs from 'The New Dark Age' but have only been able to find 'Lamentations' for sale (12 USD) online. I'd like to get my hands on both of them, but am just trying to decide where to start. Regardless, this is some tasty doom. Now playing - "Stormchild."

The New Dark Age I find to be Solstice's best closely followed by Lamentations.The Halcyon ep is also very goo. So, what it boils down to is that all three releases are very good to great. All three have been re-released by Cyclone Empire last year and contain a lot of bonus tracks. All three re-releases clock in just over 70 mnutes.
'So... just go get all three and you won't be disappointed.
Rich Walker is a great musician and of course a full cousing of Warning's Pat Walker.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2008 - 12:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2008 at 12:55

The New Dark Age I find to be Solstice's best closely followed by Lamentations.The Halcyon ep is also very goo. So, what it boils down to is that all three releases are very good to great. All three have been re-released by Cyclone Empire last year and contain a lot of bonus tracks. All three re-releases clock in just over 70 mnutes.
'So... just go get all three and you won't be disappointed.
Rich Walker is a great musician and of course a full cousing of Warning's Pat Walker.

Alright thanks. I'd love to get them all at once but 1) I have limited funds at the moment and 2) I've actually only been able to find 'Lamentations' for sale online and neither of the other two. I may just not be looking hard enough though.
----