Metal Storm logo
Wintersun

Original post

Posted by Elfeder, 23.05.2006 - 17:00
I was shocked when I noticed that no one created a topic on Wintersun it is so strange because this band is one of the best I know...they have just released one album but this album is fucking masterpiece,
I like their songs "Death and the Healing" and "Beautiful Death" they are great songs and this band is Idol for me.
16.02.2011 - 12:52
FeskarN
Some days ago Jari posted on the bands forum regarding the mixing of the album that he's been doing lately. Here's what he said:
Quote:
It started out well, but again I ran into the 4GB RAM limit. I might just have to postpone the album until the developers make 64-bit versions of all their software. This limitation is killing me!

I´ll continue to mix the smaller projects, but that´s it for the bigger songs for right now.

So looks like we have to wait even more now. Hope Jari get through this problem without waiting for a new versions of the software.

He also posted this:
Quote:
The VST instrument midi tracks though are all already rendered to audio tracks. So I´m just mixing wave files, but still hitting the 4GB limit with just regular EQ, compressor etc. plugins...
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
16.02.2011 - 13:16
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
Dumb shit! why couldn't he just get a desktop comp with more RAM than struggle with that damned laptop????????? somebody! Please gift jari a new PC!
16.02.2011 - 13:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hm...I own a notebook with 4GB ram...cost me...about $800?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.02.2011 - 13:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=103388] on 16.02.2011 at 13:16

Dumb shit! why couldn't he just get a desktop comp with more RAM than struggle with that damned laptop????????? somebody! Please gift jari a new PC!

Perhaps you should consider the fact that he may be indeed bullshitting.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.02.2011 - 14:03
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2011 at 13:46

I wonder why they don't put more effort into coming up with their excuses though. Oh wait...they don't need to, do they?
16.02.2011 - 14:18
RavenKing
Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2011 at 13:46

It is bullshit, if you ask me. For Christ's sake, it's the same excuse we started hearing 4-5 years ago and heard over and over, year after year. Read between the line and it says "expect the album won't be released in 2011". I believe truth is there is no new song and there won't be any new album.
Wintersun is probably the most pathetic joke in the current metal scene.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
16.02.2011 - 17:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Time what is time
I wish I knew how to tell You why

Jari's current most fav song
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.02.2011 - 20:18
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
It's been a long time...I first listened to Wintersun in high school and now I have a Bachelor's Degree. I can still wait, but releasing an album is not the most complicated endeavor for a musician. Hell, even Tool manages to release an album every four to five years.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
18.02.2011 - 21:09
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 16.02.2011 at 17:36

Time what is time
I wish I knew how to tell You why

Jari's current most fav song

Would be funny if there was a cover of it on Time. Lol.
18.02.2011 - 21:24
Wintersun616

Guess I'll have to lighten something up to a few of you here. Jari just got a new computer. That computer has a 64bit operating system. Previously he had a 32bit operating system. Now this part is important. The programs Jari uses are 32bit programs and makers of those programs haven't done 64bit versions. They can be installed to the 64bit OS, but they can't utilize more than 4GB of RAM. Previously the problem was that Jari's 32bit OS couldn't handle more than 4GB of RAM, now the OS can handle it, but not the programs. They just got a new computer when they promised their record company to do a few gigs this year.

And just for the record, Jari owes you whiners nothing. He's doing this album more for himself than to us fans. And that's OK if you ask me. I'll much rather choose to wait for the album for however long it takes, than have Wintersun sell out and start making a crappy album every year.
19.02.2011 - 16:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I can't really imagine Wintersun "selling out". Like them or not, they're pretty accessible as it is.
----
- George Carlin
19.02.2011 - 16:18
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 19.02.2011 at 16:16

I can't really imagine Wintersun "selling out". Like them or not, they're pretty accessible as it is.

Apart from "Death And The Healing", no they aren't. Sonata Arctica and Nightwish are accessible, compared to them, Wintersun is far from being easy on the ears.
19.02.2011 - 16:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=105293] on 19.02.2011 at 16:18

Apart from "Death And The Healing", no they aren't. Sonata Arctica and Nightwish are accessible, compared to them, Wintersun is far from being easy on the ears.

To me they sound not all that different from Sonata Arctica...Just harsher vocals and maybe slightly faster drums here and there.
----
- George Carlin
19.02.2011 - 16:43
RavenKing
Written by Doc G. on 19.02.2011 at 16:20

To me they sound not all that different from Sonata Arctica...Just harsher vocals and maybe slightly faster drums here and there.

Agreed with Doc. Wintersun is basically Powermetal with some harsh vocals and a few blastbeats thrown in. Old Catamenia is melodic Black Metal and it's surely less accessible than Wintersun.
----
19.02.2011 - 16:47
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

It's the drums that make it much less accessible IMO. The melodies are great, but at times I just feel like shouting: stop with the ridiculously fast drums!!!
19.02.2011 - 16:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=105293] on 19.02.2011 at 16:47

It's the drums that make it much less accessible IMO. The melodies are great, but at times I just feel like shouting: stop with the ridiculously fast drums!!!

Really? Maybe I've just listened to too many blast beats in my life or something, but even Wintersun at it's fastest isn't even close to overwhelming for me.
----
- George Carlin
19.02.2011 - 17:04
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
Written by Wintersun616 on 18.02.2011 at 21:24

Guess I'll have to lighten something up to a few of you here. Jari just got a new computer. That computer has a 64bit operating system. Previously he had a 32bit operating system. Now this part is important. The programs Jari uses are 32bit programs and makers of those programs haven't done 64bit versions. They can be installed to the 64bit OS, but they can't utilize more than 4GB of RAM. Previously the problem was that Jari's 32bit OS couldn't handle more than 4GB of RAM, now the OS can handle it, but not the programs. They just got a new computer when they promised their record company to do a few gigs this year.

And just for the record, Jari owes you whiners nothing. He's doing this album more for himself than to us fans. And that's OK if you ask me. I'll much rather choose to wait for the album for however long it takes, than have Wintersun sell out and start making a crappy album every year.

I'm not asking for a wintersun album every year.............I just dont want to see useless updates on the
internet when no porgress has ever been made on the album but fanboys like you can't keep quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right????
19.02.2011 - 17:22
RavenKing
Written by Doc G. on 19.02.2011 at 16:59

Written by [user id=105293] on 19.02.2011 at 16:47

Really? Maybe I've just listened to too many blast beats in my life or something, but even Wintersun at it's fastest isn't even close to overwhelming for me.

Look at the bands on his list and you will understand. The only ones who use blastbeats are Ensiferum and Bal-Sagoth. So, basically, the guy is used to the generic not-so-fast drums that are so common in Euroflowermetal.

However, Ernil, there is something I don't understand. If you find the drums almost too fast for you in Wintersun, how is it that you don't find them more annoying in Bal-Sagoth?
Because Bal-Sagoth's drums are faster than Wintersun's and blast more often.
----
19.02.2011 - 18:17
Wintersun616

Those harsher vocals are why many people turn away from Wintersun, or any other band with any kind of harsh vocals.
19.02.2011 - 19:31
Luneth
Account deleted

SA have been using the same drumming pattern since Ecliptica lol. Furthermore Wintersun use keyboards in a completely different way and Sonata's guitar sound post Jani changed so much that it just isn't, in any way comparable to Jari's. I don't see how they're the same, or even similar at all. Certainly not lyrically...
19.02.2011 - 19:46
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 19.02.2011 at 17:22

However, Ernil, there is something I don't understand. If you find the drums almost too fast for you in Wintersun, how is it that you don't find them more annoying in Bal-Sagoth?

Bal-Sagoth sound much better, they don't sound - as Vezzy put it - almost like 16 bit SNES music.
19.02.2011 - 21:23
RavenKing
Written by [user id=105293] on 19.02.2011 at 19:46

Written by RavenKing on 19.02.2011 at 17:22

Bal-Sagoth sound much better, they don't sound - as Vezzy put it - almost like 16 bit SNES music.

OK, I see. It's because Bal-Sagoth is not really Powermetal (even if it definitely borrows from it) but also has some touch of melodic/symphonic Black Metal. It's more extreme, dark, heavier, fast and (at times) aggressive than Powermetal, so the drums are played in a more extreme way and they have a deeper sound than what you will hear in typical Powermetal bands.
----
21.02.2011 - 10:11
Black_Sheep
I wouldn't even compare these two bands. And no, i don't like Bal-Sagoth.

I wonder if Time will ever be out. Let's hope so. Im learning "Winter Madness" on guitar, just for fun, and that made me listen to the album again. It's still great, but it's getting old..
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
22.02.2011 - 14:33
RavenKing
Written by Black_Sheep on 21.02.2011 at 10:11

I wouldn't even compare these two bands. And no, i don't like Bal-Sagoth.

It was just something related to drums.
Personally, I prefer Bal-Sagoth by far to Wintersun. At least Bal-Sagoth is original and don't really sound like any other band. Wintersun is only generic Powermetal music with some harsh vocals and a few blastbeats thrown in. Nearly as overrated as current Iron Maiden.
----
22.02.2011 - 15:23
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 22.02.2011 at 14:33

Wintersun is only generic Powermetal music with some harsh vocals and a few blastbeats thrown in. Nearly as overrated as current Iron Maiden.

The melodies of most of Wintersun's songs are hardly generic or average. Whether or not they're overrated is of no concern to me, overrated is a bullshit meaningless word.
23.02.2011 - 01:33
RavenKing
Written by [user id=105293] on 22.02.2011 at 15:23

Whether or not they're overrated is of no concern to me, overrated is a bullshit meaningless word.

The word has a lot of meaning. You just happen to fail to see it. I forgive your ignorance on the matter, as lots of people fail to grasp the concept.
----
23.02.2011 - 04:11
@gent_-_orange
Written by RavenKing on 23.02.2011 at 01:33

Whether or not they're overrated is of no concern to me, overrated is a bullshit meaningless word.

The word has a lot of meaning. You just happen to fail to see it. I forgive your ignorance on the matter, as lots of people fail to grasp the concept.

I agree overrated is essentially saying that something does not live up to the expectations ..... The amount of fellatio this album recieves the expectations for me where sky high, After hearing it i thought "that was good" but thats about it ... just my two cents.
23.02.2011 - 04:50
RavenKing
Written by @gent_-_orange on 23.02.2011 at 04:11

I agree overrated is essentially saying that something does not live up to the expectations ..... The amount of fellatio this album recieves the expectations for me where sky high, After hearing it i thought "that was good" but thats about it ... just my two cents.

That's pretty much my opinion. I never said it sucked or was a bad album. It's a good album (not really my liking though, as I've been used to listen to extreme metal almost every day for years) but it is nothing special. Only a good/decent album, no more. Not something to make such a big fuss as some people are doing around it. I agree about lots of people being fellative when it comes to this album and this band (who, do I need to remember, have released nothing after 2004 and will most likely release nothing in 2011), thus why I think it is ridiculously overrated.
----
23.02.2011 - 10:11
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

Kid, please... who do you think your talking to? Uncle Bobo's not here, go check the basement and maybe you can find what's left of him.

Saying something is overrated is saying you don't like it as much as others and therefore you alone are capable of evaluating the work objectively. That's arrogant nonsense.
23.02.2011 - 13:31
RavenKing
Written by [user id=105293] on 23.02.2011 at 10:11

Kid, please... who do you think your talking to? Uncle Bobo's not here, go check the basement and maybe you can find what's left of him.

Saying something is overrated is saying you don't like it as much as others and therefore you alone are capable of evaluating the work objectively. That's arrogant nonsense.

Believe what you want. I won't argue any longer with you, as I know how stubborn and idiotic you are.
By the way, it's me who should call you an arrogant kid, since I'm almost twice as old as you.
----