Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

25.08.2017 - 19:42
Paz
Elite
An absolute top when it comes to death metal this year. Sic riffing..

28.08.2017 - 14:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Paz on 25.08.2017 at 19:42

An absolute top when it comes to death metal this year. Sic riffing..

This is what I had to say on the album a couple of months ago.

"Riffs, riffs, and more riffs. That is what catches the ear when listening to Suffering Hour. Great death metal. Think a bit along the lines of bands such as The Chasm, Dead Congregation, Adversarial. Upon first listen it all sounds kind of chaotic what these gentlemen deliver. However, after a couple of spins a clear structure can be discerned within the songs and also between the songs themselves. This is death metal how death metal should sound, according to me. Exciting, with rough edges, lightly chaotic upon first listen, with a great atmosphere to it, and then those riffs, yes, those riffs."
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2017 - 15:13
Paz
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.08.2017 at 14:52

This is what I had to say on the album a couple of months ago.

"Riffs, riffs, and more riffs. That is what catches the ear when listening to Suffering Hour. Great death metal. Think a bit along the lines of bands such as The Chasm, Dead Congregation, Adversarial. Upon first listen it all sounds kind of chaotic what these gentlemen deliver. However, after a couple of spins a clear structure can be discerned within the songs and also between the songs themselves. This is death metal how death metal should sound, according to me. Exciting, with rough edges, lightly chaotic upon first listen, with a great atmosphere to it, and then those riffs, yes, those riffs."

I wouldn't have said it any better!
03.09.2017 - 17:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Collab between members of Pig Destroyer and Cattle Decapitation. Hardcore vocals with a thrash/punk metal sound.

China Girl - China Girl

04.09.2017 - 18:08
Paz
Elite
Polish sludge metal/post-hardcore. The 3rd album is finally out!

12.09.2017 - 13:30
Risto
Wandering Midget
Fantastic debut album by this Scottish band. Progressive sludge/stoner.

12.09.2017 - 21:08
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Risto on 12.09.2017 at 13:30

Fantastic debut album by this Scottish band. Progressive sludge/stoner.

Just came to post this, outstandingly heavy album ffo early Mastodon. This is 2017's answer to last year's Moon Tooth album.
15.09.2017 - 20:38
mz
Omahara streaming fully, finally. Great drone
Omahara

children of greyscale rainbow are back droen

children of greyscale rainbow

some tamed harsh noise, if there is such thing
mark williamson

dark ambient/ soundtrack/ drone. Great stuff
Lost Horizons-Perception

dark ambient, drone
by DEVTH OF THE ⊙))) -HÆXECNTH Split

some dissonant hardcore stuff from France. Nice
Harpon -béji

promissing atmo black
Einsamtod- Spiritual Sorrow

more drone/ noise/ ambient. I wish that opener was longer

PBK- Our Hands Are Not True

I probably shouldnt had posted them all here, but I'm too tired
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.09.2017 - 18:25
Hey,
CORPSE GARDEN just release a new track on soundcloud right now: https://soundcloud.com/godzovwar/corpse-garden-selenomantic-ecstasies

This track is from the third album 'IAO 269' is set for release on November 2017 through GODZ OV WAR PRODUCTIONS on CD/MC/LP. Colin Marston is responsible for recording, mixing and mastering. COMMENT

And as far as recommendations: Spectral Voice, Full of Hell, Ensnared and Cosmic Void Ritual
----
Guitarist for CORPSE GARDEN - DEATH METAL

https://www.facebook.com/corpsegardencr
https://corpsegarden.bandcamp.com/
20.09.2017 - 13:01
mz
Massive blackend sludge with noise edge. Definitely not for the faint of the hearth. Absolutely amazing stuff and one of the sickest albums this year.

LaColpa-Mea Maxima Culpa

----
22.09.2017 - 20:51
Paz
Elite
Big thanks to Odium Nostrum for the rec! Venezuelian black metal in the vein of Deathspell Omega and Outre.

24.09.2017 - 18:19
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Unbelievably good sounding death metal from Copenhagen. One of my favorites from this year, a standout even among the outstanding releases this year in the Dark Descent/Invictus Productions camp.

Phrenelith - Desolate Landscape

05.10.2017 - 22:38
Nyarlatothep
Myrkgrav latet release named " Takk og farvel; tida er blitt ei annen" is a damn fine gem for those into folk metal.

The album art is smashing.

https://myrkgrav.bandcamp.com
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
13.10.2017 - 19:28
Paz
Elite
Haven't heard it yet, but their debut EP was brilliant.

13.10.2017 - 20:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Paz on 04.09.2017 at 18:08

Polish sludge metal/post-hardcore. The 3rd album is finally out!

Fuck! Didn't know about this...thanks you!
----
rekt
18.10.2017 - 18:16
Paz
Elite
US post-rock/doom metal with violins. Quite SubRosa-esque.. This could be my doom metal album of the year

21.10.2017 - 21:37
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
The new Nesseria album, Cette Érosion De Nous-Mêmes, doesn't seem to be getting much attention on here. Really good combination of (post)?hardcore and black metal, jam packed with addictive melodies, bombastic drumming, and a frankly superb vocal performance. Nothing really original, and the grindcore is almost completely gone from their sound, but it's one of the better examples of this particular genre fusions of recent memory. It's also got a really nice album cover, which is cool I guess.

22.10.2017 - 05:04
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
22.10.2017 - 17:47
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Thrash metal combined with death metal. As far as I know this is their first full-length album.

Deserter - Coils Of The Lesser Serpent
23.10.2017 - 21:58
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Alex F on 21.10.2017 at 21:37

The new Nesseria album, Cette Érosion De Nous-Mêmes.

Yo, everyone get on this asap!
I would have loved a dirtier guitar sound but the way the production somehow maintains and enforces the raw emotions behind the music while being relatively clean is impressive.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.11.2017 - 23:54
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Senegal Grindcore Mafia (formed by ex-members of Los Random, featured here) released their new album "Ido Y Lúcido" last Saturday, you gotta check it out. In it's core it's some kind of groove metal probably, but they draw inspiration from lots of subgenres. It's a damn fun album, probably the best Argentinean album this year.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1wcWzXZNEWfNtyjyCu5YkC
02.11.2017 - 02:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^... But... It's not grindcore...
Also not from Senegal...

And I'm starting to doubt the mafia part as well
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.11.2017 - 05:13
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Karlabos on 02.11.2017 at 02:46

^... But... It's not grindcore...
Also not from Senegal...

And I'm starting to doubt the mafia part as well

Well, same way Wolves In The Throne Room aren't actually wolves
04.11.2017 - 13:03
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Genre tag this:

bandcamp
----
rekt
07.11.2017 - 12:42
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Heavy metal from the USA: Midnite Hellion - Condemned To Hell

10.11.2017 - 00:02
Zap
Listen and enjoy (and download) the new Witch Trail EP Thole. It's a unique blend of black metal, thrash metal, some post metal, and all sorts of things. Sounds a lot noisier and varied than their full-length (not that anyone here has heard that one.)

15.11.2017 - 21:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New album from the one of the more overlooked labels in underground metal, Grimoire Records.

Genevieve - Regressionism <Full Stream here>

18.11.2017 - 12:20
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Heavy metal from Sweden. Very relaxing album imo and definitely one of my favourites this year. (Been listening to the song "One Coin In A Fountain" on repeat, love that song).

Night - Raft Of The World
19.11.2017 - 19:21
Paz
Elite
Truly a great black metal from Denmark. Ustalost of 2017.

19.11.2017 - 22:30
mz
Some fairly fresh dissonant black metal:

filty and low fi black metal. Feels quasi psychedelic.
TRONO ALÉM MORTE-O Olhar Atento Da Escuridão

featuring some members from Desolate Shrine, Sargeist, Lie in Ruins, and Corpsessed. Nice black metal

finally this thing is out. Hard to describe, but it is a synth punk inspired industrial rock with some noise rock thrown in the mix. One of the best clean vocals this year, too. The band is relatively young and very talented

Street Sects-Rat Jacket

one of the best atmo black albums this year
Circle of Salt-Suffer The Cold
----