Metal Storm logo
Most Important Metallica Album

Original post

Posted by Black Mass, 03.05.2007 - 05:07
I'm sitting at my desk at work slugging away on a 150 page pavement design report (yawn) when I decided I needed some music to get me going. I pulled out my trusty ipod and chose Metallica. After listening to Kill 'Em All, Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All, I began wondering which Metallica album is the most important. And by that I mean the album that had the biggest impact when it was released, the album that made them who they became and who they are today, the album that solidified their fan base and their place in the Heavy Metal music world.

For me, its Master Of Puppets. From the opening riff of Battery to the closing note of Damage Inc, the songs are well structured, powerful and remind me why Metallica were the first band I really got into all those years ago.

I did a search and couldn't find a similiar poll, so if there has been one already I apologise.
I also realise I have left of Garage Days Re-visited and S&M but decided they dont really rate in the poll.

Would love to read what anyone else has to say.

Poll

Which do you think is the most important Metallica album?

Master Of Puppets
Ride The Lightning
Kill 'Em All
Metallica (black album)
...And Justice For All
St. Anger
Load
Reload
Garage Days

Total votes: 255
30.04.2009 - 10:36
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.04.2009 at 08:35

Written by Thrashard on 26.01.2009 at 23:38

In 'Get Thrashed' I remember hearing that Slayer was a cover band called 'Dragon Slayer' before Kill Em' All was released, .

You certainly gotta rewatch Get Thrashed cause NOWHERE in that documentary was that claimed. Btw Slayer were NEVER EVER called Dragonslayer.

Gene Hoglan claimed that at 11:34 or some around there.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.04.2009 - 10:55
FOOCK Nam
In Slayer Metalstorm trivia, they also are mentioned as Dragonslayer
30.04.2009 - 11:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 30.04.2009 at 10:36

In 'Get Thrashed' I remember hearing that Slayer was a cover band called 'Dragon Slayer' before Kill Em' All was released, .

You certainly gotta rewatch Get Thrashed cause NOWHERE in that documentary was that claimed. Btw Slayer were NEVER EVER called Dragonslayer.

Well, Slayer did start as a covers band but were never called Dragonslayer. (I think a link to an interview with Kerry King is posted somewhere in the Slayer thread where he even says so)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2009 - 11:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by FOOCK Nam on 30.04.2009 at 10:55

In Slayer Metalstorm trivia, they also are mentioned as Dragonslayer

Nope that trivium has been removed cause it is false.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2009 - 12:11
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.04.2009 at 11:48

Well, Slayer did start as a covers band but were never called Dragonslayer. (I think a link to an interview with Kerry King is posted somewhere in the Slayer thread where he even says so)

A bit more off-topicness. You're right. http://www.faceculture.tv/index.php?cnti_key=11735216 - but what if he's lying?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

30.04.2009 - 12:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 30.04.2009 at 12:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.04.2009 at 11:48

A bit more off-topicness. You're right. http://www.faceculture.tv/index.php?cnti_key=11735216 - but what if he's lying?

Continued off-topicness... I am sure he isn't lying, cause it also says so in their biography (written by Joel McIver) and at the time non-one eve rmentioned they were previously called Dragonslayer that name only popped up much much much later when Metal Archives was already on the INternet.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2009 - 12:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Ok case closed then. Back on topic. Marcel, I support you on the fact that people shouldn't vote for their favorite album in this thread, but there are still some reasons to vote for Master of Puppets. For instance the fact that it was their first album to go Gold and give them world acclaim, lots of airplay, and money.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

30.04.2009 - 13:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 30.04.2009 at 12:54

Ok case closed then. Back on topic. Marcel, I support you on the fact that people shouldn't vote for their favorite album in this thread, but there are still some reasons to vote for Master of Puppets. For instance the fact that it was their first album to go Gold and give them world acclaim, lots of airplay, and money.

As far as I remember RtL was gold in some coutnries in Europe before MoP was and actually Metallica broke it big after RtL only to get bigger after MoP.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2009 - 20:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by K✞ulu on 30.04.2009 at 12:54

i don't know how much airplay "Master" got them, but the album is far from their most important, even if it is arguably their best.

if money or airplay are a gauge, it pales in comparison to all that came after. "The Black Album" is the big winner here, as half the album made it on to regular play on the radio. I don't recall much radio play for "Master" and they didn't cut their first video until "...And Justice" with the "One." The s/t album is the one that launched them into the mass music market. so if airplay or $$$$ are your standard, that is the clear cut winner.

musically, at least as it pertains to the Metallica I listened to, it showed the least growth/change/evolution from it's predecessor than any other Metallica album.

Master of Puppets is basically Ride the Lightning 2. Seriously. Put the track list of each, in front of you, side by side, and compare the two albums...

1st Track - acoustic intro followed by a full tilt fast paced thrash romp. (Fight Fire With Fire/Battery)
2nd Track - title track. fairly epic in length. (Ride The Lightning/Master of Puppets)
3rd Track - slows it down to a midpaced plodder. (For Whom The Bell Tolls/The Thing That Should Not Be)
4th Track - slow, quiet song with acoustic-y intro which builds in intensity, before rocking out. (Fade To Black/Welcome Home)

flip the tape/record

5th Track - another fast paced blitz. (Trapped Under Ice/Disposable Heroes)
6th Track - another slow paced plodder. (Escape/Leper Messiah)

they get tricky with the last two tracks, and move up the instrumental from the closer (Call of Ktulu) to the 7th spot (Orion) and opt to move the full throttle thrash piece from the 7th spot (Creeping Death) to the closer (Damage, Inc.)

but basically it follows the same format and the songs sound fairly similar. you could swap a track or two from one of those albums to the other and it wouldn't really sound out of place. you put anything from one of their other albums on "RTL" or "MoP" and it's as out of place as a pork chop at a vegan wedding.

frankly, while it is my favorite Metallica album, "Master of Puppets" probably ranks 5th of their first 5 in terms of importance.

I stated my rational for "Kill 'Em All" in the post i made a year ago and quoted earlier today on page 4. "Metallica" both then and again on this post. "Ride the Lightning" third for the growth they exhibited, as well as showing they could write some killer tracks without MegadavE.

I'd argue that "...And Justice" is more important than "Master of Puppets" as it showed they could write some good songs without Cliff, as well as their first foray into music videos with "One."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.05.2009 - 00:50
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Does master of puppets tracks get airplay now? I do understand however that they couldn't really get any airplay at that time. And I also do accept all your arguments, Bittecold. However, I must say that the fact that RTL's and MOP's tracklist structures are very similar, it doesn't mean that MOP is somehow not important.

Well, anyways, I tried to play devil's advocate but it didn't work, and I myself voted for RTL for reasonable reasons .
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

01.05.2009 - 01:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I didn't claim MoP was unimportant - just that it was not as important as any of the other of Metallica's first five releases. the fact it shares virtually an identical track-structure to it's predecessor, coupled with the fact that the songs on those two albums sound closest together - make it less important musically. it doesn't show any real growth or development... at least compared to the jumps found between "Kill 'em All" to "Ride the Lightning", "Master of Puppets" to "...And Justice" and, finally, "... And Justice" to the s/t album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.05.2009 - 03:03
soadbyob
Account deleted
Most important would be kill em all. that put metallica on the metal scene and started the metallica mayham for the rest of time.
07.05.2009 - 16:56
TheOwl
Kill em All for me too! But I like the following 4 albums too! IMO Kill em All along with Slayer's Show No Mercy are the cornerstones of thrash!
08.05.2009 - 19:09
symbolic727
Kill'em All no question started a whole movemnt of people to push things to the next level.THRASH
10.05.2009 - 05:30
peirateis
I don't think there's an extreme metal musician out there today that isn't somehow influenced by Master of Puppets, so that gets my vote. Of course, Justice really heavily inspired a lot of extreme prog metal that followed, so I'd say that's a close second.
03.06.2009 - 22:38
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Kill them all oufcourse!!! you all people suck. this poll says which is the most important, not their best. and kill them all is mentioned from many many musicians but the other not so much.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
07.11.2009 - 17:53
SatyriconChick
I'm going to say Master of Puppets. That album has so many epic moments, and so many bands were influenced by the songs found on it! It's easily one of the most important albums in the history of metal music.
07.11.2009 - 18:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I will say "Ride The Lightning". That was the album when they started to break out of the confines of thrash metal. Writing the genre's first ever ballad: "Fade To Black", and going complete experimental prog: "Call Of Ktulu". Not to mention the proggy arrangement of the title track! With "Ride..." Metallica showed they weren't just a run of the mill thrash band, and took the genre to new heights it had never been before.
07.11.2009 - 18:24
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.11.2009 at 18:18

I will say "Ride The Lightning". That was the album when they started to break out of the confines of thrash metal. Writing the genre's first ever ballad: "Fade To Black", and going complete experimental prog: "Call Of Ktulu". Not to mention the proggy arrangement of the title track! With "Ride..." Metallica showed they weren't just a run of the mill thrash band, and took the genre to new heights it had never been before.

I think it's the album the band became whole, they left the Mustaine imprint behind them and took a giant leap forward.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
07.11.2009 - 18:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Haddonfield on 07.11.2009 at 18:24

I think it's the album the band became whole, they left the Mustaine imprint behind them and took a giant leap forward.

Yup, definitely! The main reason why I chose it over "...Puppets", was the leap from "Kill Em' All" to "Ride The Lightning" was far bigger than the one taken from "...Lightning" to "...Puppets". "Puppets" was just an extention of "Ride The Lightning" really. Whereas "...Lightning" was way more advanced than it's predecessor. Was an easy choice for me really, and "Ride The Lightning" also happens to be my fave Metallica album!
03.02.2010 - 00:51
whatsacow
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.11.2009 at 18:58

Written by Haddonfield on 07.11.2009 at 18:24

Yup, definitely! The main reason why I chose it over "...Puppets", was the leap from "Kill Em' All" to "Ride The Lightning" was far bigger than the one taken from "...Lightning" to "...Puppets". "Puppets" was just an extention of "Ride The Lightning" really. Whereas "...Lightning" was way more advanced than it's predecessor. Was an easy choice for me really, and "Ride The Lightning" also happens to be my fave Metallica album!

while that is true, master of puppets is the album that really made metallica commercially, the album that spawned a kazillion clone bands, and the album that will be forever portrayed as being metallica.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
05.02.2010 - 09:54
Pain&Fire
6 votes for St.Anger ;D
----
Drink from me and live forever...
27.07.2010 - 15:12
MetalFist
Account deleted
Lol Load & ReLoad got votes.. anyways, MoP is far superious to other albums, even though RtL is FANTASTIC. My opinion.
27.07.2010 - 15:13
vezzy
Stallmanite
RtL is the most important. No question.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.07.2010 - 23:20
I love Pre-Black albums more than After-Black album By Metallica...
but I think Black album was a great album in metal music...to change it 'till now...
----
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known
16.05.2011 - 22:40
Ghostdancer
Gotta go with Kill 'Em All...it was one of those albums that helped set off the thrash movement. I'm not saying it was the only one, but it definitely was one of the most important ones...which makes it important for Metallica.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
16.05.2011 - 22:44
Guib
Thrash Talker
How can any album be more important than Kill 'Em All I mean wtf, it started their career, put thrash on the map... and kicked asses. Without Kill 'Em All there is no OLD metallica there might be some of the new though but anyways.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.05.2011 - 15:24
Razorback
Master Of Puppets and Black Album were their best achievements in my opinion,but all their albums are important in some way.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
16.06.2011 - 12:47
JD
Account deleted
Kill 'Em All.
16.06.2011 - 13:31
Metal_4Ever
Well I think that "The Black Album" is the most Important, And it has the most important songs like:
_The Unforgiven
_Nothing Else Matters
_Sad But True
If there wasn't that album, MetallicA would lose a lot of fans.