Metal Storm logo
Savage Circus

Original post

Posted by kackbratze, 29.05.2006 - 20:00
Hey!

I was really willing to create a thread about this band since there is none in the new forum yet.
This is the band of ex-Blind Guardian member Thomen Stauch, Savage Circus. What do you think about them? Some just dismiss it as a dumb BG clone, but I think that's more than unfair because Thomen was part of BG for such a long time. I think you can hear that with the guys from Iron Savior and Persuader they aren't beginners anymore. Imho their debut album "Dreamland Manor" is just awesome. This is because I like the old BG more and this is exactly what they play. At first it seems to be too much alike, especially the voice, but if you listen to it closely, you will notice that the singer has a unique voice compared to Hansi and that he sounds rougher and varies his pitch more often (imho).
It's similar, but I think the songs are just so damn good. It's one of those albums I love every single second of (I've just experienced this once so far with Behemoth's "Demigod"). Don't blame me, but I think Savage Circus does way better than Blind Guardian. I am looking forward to new songs from them! You can see how much I dig them, if you look at my avatar and my signature..

So what do you think?
10.09.2008 - 09:02
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
continuing savage circus without thomen stauch is like the other members of windir continuing to play under the windir name, except not as incredible or well composed or epic.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.02.2009 - 00:33
bard

I just got my hands on this music a few weeks ago, and my sweet lord was it a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed almost every song on the album, with When Hell Awakes ranking with some of my favorite power metal songs...but just like that Thomen gets kicked out of the band, a killer disappointment. Well, you never know what might come next though, yeah? I mean, Iced Earth picked up Matt Barlow out of a garage band pretty randomly, and look how that turned out...right?

...I don't want to let go of this band.
----
28.02.2009 - 18:45
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by LeChron James on 10.09.2008 at 09:02

continuing savage circus without thomen stauch is like the other members of windir continuing to play under the windir name, except not as incredible or well composed or epic.

Well said. Savage Circus should have disbanded when he left.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
28.02.2009 - 23:20
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Galar on 28.02.2009 at 18:45

Well said. Savage Circus should have disbanded when he left.

they arent even doing anything anymore. jens carlsson is apparently too busy to do anything for SC and would instead deal with the other band he sings for.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.04.2009 - 23:37
kackbratze

Well, they are recording the new album right now, as you may know.

Look at their myspace, they actually posted a new song:

http://www.myspace.com/savagecircus

I have to say I'm positively surprised. I too wasn't expecting much after Thomen left, but after a few listenings "The Ordeal" sounds pretty damn good.

Mike Terrana isn't a bad drummer either. I met him at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt some weeks ago and could talk to him shortly. I told him that Dreamland Manor means so much to me (although he didn't drum on that record) and that I'm happy that the drums in the new song seem to be orientated towards Thomen's drumming, that it would feel like a "continuation of his style".
He just said "Yeah, I hope so. Thanks man!". And indeed, if I wouldn't know that Thomen left, I probably wouldn't notice it, listening to The Ordeal.

I think Thomen wrote some of the songs, but the brilliant lead melodies are still out of Piet's head.

So I think in the end everything will be good.
18.04.2009 - 00:11
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, while I enjoy all the Blind Guardian worship they put out with their first album, I hope they vary it up a bit. They have loads of talent in the band, and Terrana is a very accomplished drummer, so I hope it's not just a continuation of the same. Otherwise, like has been said many times before, I can just listen to my Blind Guardian if I want to hear Blind Guardian.
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.04.2009 - 00:42
kackbratze

Written by Clintagräm on 18.04.2009 at 00:11

Well, while I enjoy all the Blind Guardian worship they put out with their first album, I hope they vary it up a bit. They have loads of talent in the band, any Terrana is a very accomplished drummer, so I hope it's not just a continuation of the same. Otherwise, like has been said many times before, I can just listen to my Blind Guardian if I want to hear Blind Guardian.

I understand where you are coming from. I see it differently. It's all a matter of taste, but I'll explain why:

The sound is obviously Blind Guardian-like, but that's obvious because Thomen founded the band to continue the style of the old albums of BG. That's probably also why they got Jens as a singer.

You can as well listen to Blind Guardian then, as you said, but it's a matter of taste of course. I don't mind that Blind Guardian made this music first, I still think Savage Circus do it better.
Why?
Well, there are a few subtle differences to BG: Jens sounds a lot like Hansi of course, but to me Jens has more of a harsh tone at times, more aggressive than hansi and he varies his voice more. Also there are often the backing vocals of Piet.
Then there are the melodies. I like EVERY little lead melody on the album, it's like magic, they are so catchy, yet never get boring or dull to me after some time. I did listen to Imaginations from the Other Side quite a few times lately, but it isn't nearly as catchy as SC. It has some nice choruses, but I like SC so much better.
Then the drumming. I like Thomens drumming very much and I think it's even better, more thrashy than his blind Guardian stuff, he has even gotten better over time. Also the drum sound and the whole mix are great.

Yeah well, it's just all a matter of taste, like I said. But Dreamland Manor is really a landmark album for me, I have known it for 3 years and I lately have been listening to it every day and it just gets better everytime. It doesn't bore me, it's awesome.

I'm a fanboy, I hope the next album will be great as well, I have faith.

But you got a point about the drumming. A pure continuation would miss the point of having a new drummer. But I can't imagine he'll just copy him 100%, he'll bring his own style in somewhat, and if it's subconsious.
18.04.2009 - 02:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by kackbratze on 18.04.2009 at 00:42

But you got a point about the drumming. A pure continuation would miss the point of having a new drummer. But I can't imagine he'll just copy him 100%, he'll bring his own style in somewhat, and if it's subconsious.

I agree, and this is the only point I was making. I think bringing in a new drummer, especially one like Terrana is good for the band, I just hope they use it. I agree the music is good, it's very thrashy Power Metal in the vein of old Blind Guardian, so what's not to like? But I'm not interested in pure execution of music, I also want new music. Like I said before, this band has so much talent they don't need to stick to the same old formula, they can expand and try new things, otherwise they'll always be known as a 'Guardian clone.
----
The force will be with you, always.
19.04.2009 - 00:31
bard

I'm happy with the new song in that it holds the same quality in structure and instrumentation as the first album did. I only hope the new album has a few more edgy songs on it than the first one did...I find their heavier moments to be much more satisfying than their more symphonic moments.
----
19.04.2009 - 02:52
Nardy7

I bought Dreamland Manor and it rocks! Especially "Born Again By The Night." They're really not just another copy of BG. They actually sound pretty different. I can't wait to see what they release in the future.
23.10.2009 - 02:08
bard

Has anyone listened to the new album yet? I'd really like to know what it sounds like.
----
23.10.2009 - 13:31
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
It just got into shops today
Hasn't leaked on the net either.

Edit: Leaked.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.