Metal Storm logo
The Car Thread

Original post

Posted by Remus, 16.08.2007 - 22:55
Ok, so i looked for a car thread and found nothing. So here it is. (if there actually is another one i haven't seen, well, then the "search" feature sucks, or i'm just a pooh pooh!).

So you can talk about what brands you like, if you own a car, describe it and just talk about anything related to cars.

Post away petrol/metal-heads!
03.06.2008 - 20:05
b0000mst1ck
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.06.2008 at 14:42

Written by b0000mst1ck on 03.06.2008 at 08:59

check out http://www.edmunds.com if you want to know how reliable they are. they do road tests (with most cars) and abuse them to see how they hold up in extreme situations.

this site keeps asking for a "Zip Code" - I can't enter one they want, not being American and all.. so I can't see anything on there

http://www.edmunds.com/mini/review.html. that outta get you started.
03.06.2008 - 23:37
Hamird
Lieutenant
German Cars are the best. I like Volkswagon as my first favourite car company and then BMW... but i've been fell in love with Maybach for many years. ...
07.06.2008 - 00:11
Remus
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.06.2008 at 01:03

I guess I am car-hunting in a way at the moment.
I am really looking for a mini though, either new or old - but if I went for an old mini I would want to make sure it was reasonably reliable - and I don't know just how sure you can be with them now.

Dude, the new Minis are ridiculously expensive for what they are. Don't get me wrong they have really good handling and the "Cooper S" models are pretty fast as well but you pay through your ass for the 'brand' and heritage.

The old ones i.e. ones made by Morris are obviously a lot cheaper but as for reliability well, let's just say i wouldn't venture too far from home in one of those :-) .

I assume your budget is not too great, so i would recomend something small yet practical, with sensible fuel consumption and very reliable - something japanese!
The Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic fit the bill perfectly and '96 - '00 models are reasonably affordable and very reliable!

'Hope this helps.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
10.06.2008 - 04:09
Lord TJ
A thunderstorm rolled on through, and guess what happened to my car?

Someone lit mother natures tampon on fire!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
11.06.2008 - 07:43
tulkas
el parcero
Written by tulkas on 11.06.2008 at 07:42

Written by Remus on 07.06.2008 at 00:11

Written by Baz Anderson on 03.06.2008 at 01:03

I guess I am car-hunting in a way at the moment.
I am really looking for a mini though, either new or old - but if I went for an old mini I would want to make sure it was reasonably reliable - and I don't know just how sure you can be with them now.

Dude, the new Minis are ridiculously expensive for what they are. Don't get me wrong they have really good handling and the "Cooper S" models are pretty fast as well but you pay through your ass for the 'brand' and heritage.

The old ones i.e. ones made by Morris are obviously a lot cheaper but as for reliability well, let's just say i wouldn't venture too far from home in one of those :-) .

I assume your budget is not too great, so i would recomend something small yet practical, with sensible fuel consumption and very reliable - something japanese!
The Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic fit the bill perfectly and '96 - '00 models are reasonably affordable and very reliable!

'Hope this helps.

actually, the real reliability problem the mini's had was with the cooling system, i think. when it rained an dit got wet, that's when problems came, but with good maintenance and with some arrangements, that can be fixed. a car like that is great, those minis are incredible cars and won a lot of rallies in the 60's, and the new mini is also amazing, but it is very expensive which really sucks. i'd just love to able to have one of those, but right now i'm just focusing on the old one, or some other cars...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
11.06.2008 - 18:39
b0000mst1ck
Written by Lord TJ on 10.06.2008 at 04:09

damn dude. what kind of damage did that do?
11.06.2008 - 19:02
Lord TJ
Written by b0000mst1ck on 11.06.2008 at 18:39

Mangled hood, broken right headlight shield thing. A lot LESS than I expected.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

11.06.2008 - 20:22
b0000mst1ck
Written by Lord TJ on 11.06.2008 at 19:02

Written by b0000mst1ck on 11.06.2008 at 18:39

Mangled hood, broken right headlight shield thing. A lot LESS than I expected.

doesn't sound like it was too heavy of a tree, which is a good thing. it could've been worse, your mom could've hit your car in the driveway, causing $1,700 in repairs, followed by your dad trying to talk you into taking it to a back ass uncertified body repair shop so he doesn't have to file a claim.

and that was just the beginning of my day.
10.07.2008 - 04:51
Lord TJ
I was talking to this guy who had the same model car as I drive, he was telling me of this chip (which was actually a wire as he said) that boosted his gas mileage up to 44MPG (miles per gallon). He does not remember the name of the chip.

Can anyone help me out and figure what this item is, and where I could possibly get it online? My care is a 2002 Saturn SC series.
----

10.07.2008 - 14:15
Baz Anderson
Staff
I am still car hunting.. there is this car on autotrader - it is close-ish to me. I have always wanted a Mini.. and this one looks in decent condition. The only problem is the price.. £2200 is a LOT of money..
Do I pay a LOT of money for a car I have always wanted, but also will probably need more looking after and things buying for it - or do I look for something cheaper that will be nice and reliable - but not a car I will have a lot of love for? Hahaha..
10.07.2008 - 15:27
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.07.2008 at 14:15

I am still car hunting.. there is this car on autotrader - it is close-ish to me. I have always wanted a Mini.. and this one looks in decent condition. The only problem is the price.. £2200 is a LOT of money..
Do I pay a LOT of money for a car I have always wanted, but also will probably need more looking after and things buying for it - or do I look for something cheaper that will be nice and reliable - but not a car I will have a lot of love for? Hahaha..

That looks a nice car , but as you say it is a lot of money.

Do you know anyone in the motor trade who could look over the car for you ?

That is the best and safest way of buying a car .
An experienced mechanic will know exactly what to look for faults wise .
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
10.07.2008 - 15:47
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by hanna of steel on 10.07.2008 at 15:27

Yes, that's the thing.. I think I know someone who could help, but we'll just have to see. £2000 is a lot of money!! Hahaha..
I don't know if I should seriously consider getting it or not.
10.07.2008 - 15:52
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.07.2008 at 15:47

Written by hanna of steel on 10.07.2008 at 15:27

Yes, that's the thing.. I think I know someone who could help, but we'll just have to see. £2000 is a lot of money!! Hahaha..
I don't know if I should seriously consider getting it or not.

Yes , it is a lot of money - and don't forget you will have a very high insurance bill too.

But , if it is the car of your dreams and turns out to be a sound buy , then why not go for it .
Unfortunately , there are not a lot of old style mini's around these days and the new ones are even more expensive .
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
10.07.2008 - 20:09
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by hanna of steel on 10.07.2008 at 15:52

Yes , it is a lot of money - and don't forget you will have a very high insurance bill too.

But , if it is the car of your dreams and turns out to be a sound buy , then why not go for it .
Unfortunately , there are not a lot of old style mini's around these days and the new ones are even more expensive .

Indeed, the cheapest new Minis are around £5000 sort of area, and that is way out of my area. Haha..

Yeh, insurance will always be a bit, but the old Minis are in insurange group 6, so they aren't the worst out there..
If I look at it, it will be some time next week.. who knows if I will get it or not.
If I did I would be so tempted to get it sprayed green and black like Mr Bean's Mini. Hahaha.. I would love that.
21.07.2008 - 01:20
Baz Anderson
Staff
Ok, well I have been to look at a really nice Mini and I will be going back to purchase it tomorrow!!!
Seriously though, after I have bought that and insurance I will have literally no money left. Time to wait for student loans and maybe get a little job I think!! Hahahaha.
21.07.2008 - 01:56
Remus
^ Schweetness! Be sure to post some pics of it when you get it and of course driving impressions!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
22.07.2008 - 07:48
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Baz Anderson on 21.07.2008 at 01:20

Ok, well I have been to look at a really nice Mini and I will be going back to purchase it tomorrow!!!
Seriously though, after I have bought that and insurance I will have literally no money left. Time to wait for student loans and maybe get a little job I think!! Hahahaha.

wow, man! congrats! i also look forward to the day when i can buy my first car, although it's still kinda far away, hehe. but really congratulations, i'd sure be looking forward for some pics, hehe
----
22.07.2008 - 18:37
Baz Anderson
Staff
Haha thanks! Here is a picture of my car:

EDIT: it's gone, more coming soon

It is mine now!! ..and very happy I am.
It has been looked after so well, it runs very nice and is all in very cood condition.

I will get some pictures of me with it soon! I just have to insure it now!
22.07.2008 - 19:36
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Baz Anderson on 22.07.2008 at 18:37

Haha thanks! Here is a picture of my car:

EDIT: it's gone, more coming soon

It is mine now!! ..and very happy I am.
It has been looked after so well, it runs very nice and is all in very cood condition.

I will get some pictures of me with it soon! I just have to insure it now!

You bought it from MR.BEAN then changed the color from orange to this
I was joking. I like this car too.. because it's rare in my city.
23.07.2008 - 23:42
Remus
@Baz Anderson: Nice car dude, drive it safely! Btw, 'just curious, how tall are you? Cause me personally ai ai ai... I definately wouldn't be able to fit into one of those .

oh en also some pics of the interior would be nice.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
24.07.2008 - 15:10
Baz Anderson
Staff
Hahaha, I am 5'7" sort of area, so not the tallest of people - I can fit in it fine!
Here is some of the inside - here

But best news now, I am now insured to drive it! Woo! That was a stressful experience but you just have to keep ringing people and getting competitive quotes!
24.07.2008 - 19:25
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Baz Anderson on 24.07.2008 at 15:10

Hahaha, I am 5'7" sort of area, so not the tallest of people - I can fit in it fine!
Here is some of the inside - here

But best news now, I am not insured to drive it! Woo! That was a stressful experience but you just have to keep ringing people and getting competitive quotes!

You know Dirk Nowitzki? German basketball player in Dallas Mavericks? He's 7 feet tall and he had such a car..

I also have no insurance for driving yet and since driving with no insurance in Tehran is as dangerous as putting your head in alligator's head I don't drive in the city yet!
24.07.2008 - 22:19
Baz Anderson
Staff
Hahahaha, I meant I am NOW insured to drive it!
26.07.2008 - 15:33
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.07.2008 at 14:15

MINI? Dude, you are old enough to buy a car not a mini or smart.
They aren't cars at all and they are expensive enough to start thinking about a serio00us car.
By the way, link is not working.
28.07.2008 - 19:12
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by W-Lash on 26.07.2008 at 15:33

MINI? Dude, you are old enough to buy a car not a mini or smart.
They aren't cars at all and they are expensive enough to start thinking about a serio00us car.
By the way, link is not working.

Yeh, the link shouldn't be working now - I will get some more pictures in the next weeks though - lately thing have been so busy and I have Wacken in a few days too.

Old enough to buy a car, and not a Mini?? Haha, what on earth do you mean?
You won't understand how iconic the Mini is here in England. Haha, seriously, did you think I would have bought a Mini to race in?
28.07.2008 - 19:18
Sick Girl
I just recently got my dream car. I got a 72 Nova!

Though it needs to be worked on A LOT [which my boyfriend is going to do because I don't know shit about cars].

I also have a Ford Taurus haha, which I still have to drive before I get to drive my Nova!
28.07.2008 - 19:55
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Baz Anderson on 28.07.2008 at 19:12

Old enough to buy a car, and not a Mini?? Haha, what on earth do you mean?
You won't understand how iconic the Mini is here in England. Haha, seriously, did you think I would have bought a Mini to race in?

I think that you are old enough to buy useful car not a toy! What is that ugly mini cooper useful for?
Ok, maybe British people think think about mini in different way rather than Latvians do but i hate such tiny and overrated cars.
05.08.2008 - 01:12
Baz Anderson
Staff
Ok, here we are - a PICTURE.
05.08.2008 - 05:34
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Sick Girl on 28.07.2008 at 19:18

Though it needs to be worked on A LOT [which my boyfriend is going to do because I don't know shit about cars].

I also have a Ford Taurus haha, which I still have to drive before I get to drive my Nova!

you bought a 72 nova!!?? coongrats, i also love that cr. what's the engine and color? hehe. hope your boyfriend can fix it soon 'cause that's gotta be one hell of a car to drive!
----
06.08.2008 - 16:37
Sick Girl
Written by tulkas on 05.08.2008 at 05:34

Written by Sick Girl on 28.07.2008 at 19:18

you bought a 72 nova!!?? coongrats, i also love that cr. what's the engine and color? hehe. hope your boyfriend can fix it soon 'cause that's gotta be one hell of a car to drive!

I have NO idea about the engine! hahaha But it's white. And it's beautiful.