Metal Storm logo
Celtic Frost

Original post

Posted by Judas, 31.05.2006 - 17:55
I'm honoured to open up the official thread for the Swiss Metal Gods, Celtic Frost. This band is arguably one of the most influential in the development of modern forms of Extreme Metal. They never stagnated, weren't afraid to experiment, and to this day remain committed to pioneering new ground. This is evident in their newest release, 'Monotheist', their first after a 14-year hiatus.

Anything that relates to this great band, its members and their releases, can be said in this thread.

To get started, I'm going to post my thoughts on 'Monotheist'. I got it yesterday, and after a few listens (it takes more than 1 to digest it fully) the musical scope has really hit me in the face. It might not be as revolutionary as their 80s masterpieces ('Morbid Tales', 'To Mega Therion', 'Into the Pandemonium') but it is much more focused in it's direction. 'Morbid Tales' and 'To Mega Therion' were full of a raw, primal rage, while 'Into the Pandemonium' sprawled into multiple genres, with each song having a unique take on things, but 'Monotheist', while a weighty 73 mins, is much slower, darker and dirge-like. The sound can IMO be described as a Doom-filled Death Metal, with Ambient and Industrial touches here and there. It's very hard to explain, you must hear it for yourself.

Comments anyone?
10.08.2006 - 18:18
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Xtreme Jax on 10.08.2006 at 13:26

Hmm, yeah just read it. Seems to be some mix opinions there, more saying its good though. I'll have to give it a sample in the store to tell i reckon.

IMO Monotheist is more of a Doomy album than any of the others. Industrial elements creep in too, but fortunately they only enrich the atmosphere (for a change).

Holy crap they were awesome at Wacken Open Air!!! Opening with 'Procreation (of the Wicked)'...I can't actually remember the rest of the order, but I know they played 'Visions of Mortality', 'The Usurper', 'Necromantical Screams', 'Circle of the Tyrants', 'Dethroned Emperor', 'Into the Crypts of Rays', 'Morbid Tales' (I think), and 'Ain Elohim'. I think I've missed out one or two as well. The performance was almost flawless, and after they got the sound mix right it was amazing. Martin Eric Ain's interludes were especially good. If you get the chance to see them on their upcoming tour, then do it!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
13.08.2006 - 23:35
kackbratze
Yes, they were truly awesome in Wacken. Imho the best performance together with Morbid Angel. Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion are great Black Thrash albums, Into the Pandemonium is a bit differend and harder to get into and Monotheist is doomier, but imho great, too.
14.08.2006 - 23:09
Timelord
Frost is one of my all time favs!! I first heard them when Morbid Tales was released and was hooked. Into the Pandamonium was a little hard to get into but a ground breaking album. Cold Lake is when things went to utter shit. I saw the video for Cherry Orchards and was like OMFG these ugly dudes from sweden are trying to cash in on the glam metal trend. I am soooo glad that Frost has returned to real metal. I still have an old Hellhammer cassette which led to the birth of Celtic Frost. Going to see Frost in New Orleans in October. Can't wait!! One of the last of the old metal bands I have never gotten the chance to see live.
15.08.2006 - 05:14
Daru Jericho
I can hear the doomy sound in Monotheist that you guys are talking about. As for the industrial bits, quite a few bands seem to be doing that now, CF included.

On a slightly unrelated note, I do like Lisa Middelhauve's vocals on the new release.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

16.08.2006 - 14:45
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Thats the same person as in Xanthia right?
17.08.2006 - 04:28
Daru Jericho
Written by Guest on 16.08.2006 at 14:45

Thats the same person as in Xanthia right?

Xandria. Close though.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

22.08.2006 - 19:22
Valar
IndianSteel
What do Celtic Frost fans think about Hellhammer?
I for one absouletely love there EP Apocalyptic Raids, they had released many demos too i found out through MA but never got to download any but Apocalyptic Raids which i managed to download was pure evil and amazingly brilliant, i would rate it along with To Mega Therion or Morbid Tales.
Instead of opening a new thread i decided to ask CF fans about there views on Hellhammer on the Celtic Frost thread itself
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
27.08.2006 - 02:27
Anathemani@c
One of the most inspiring bands ever! Hail to them!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
01.10.2006 - 00:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
For those who live in the States, Celtic Frost will be on Headbangers Ball tonight on eMpTyVee2.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.10.2006 - 02:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Damn...I gotta see that. I don't know if I'll be able to though.

EDIT: I just watched it and well, that was actually the first time I've ever seen that show. Most of it are commercials and lame emp/pop music videos. However, the Celtic Frost video was fucking awesome.
01.10.2006 - 23:53
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 10.08.2006 at 18:18

Written by Xtreme Jax on 10.08.2006 at 13:26

Hmm, yeah just read it. Seems to be some mix opinions there, more saying its good though. I'll have to give it a sample in the store to tell i reckon.

IMO Monotheist is more of a Doomy album than any of the others. Industrial elements creep in too, but fortunately they only enrich the atmosphere (for a change).

Yes, Monotheirst is certainly their doomster album...

I don't know... some part of me tells me that this album is very good, but I just don't get thr thrill that gave me "To Mega Therion"... it's like I think that this was an unnecessary album. I had a lot of prejudices before listeing to it, and strangely all those prejudices persist even after hearing.
02.10.2006 - 01:15
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Tom from Celtic Frost said that they already have their next album in their heads and it's going to be more metal.
02.10.2006 - 13:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
Bought my first Celtic Frost album/EP (Morbid Tales and Emperor's Return) yesterday, I like Hellhammer and that's why I bought it. Celtic Frost is even better, which I had expected. My favourite song right now must be Morbid Tales, "Are you morbid?".
----
02.10.2006 - 13:53
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Warman on 02.10.2006 at 13:27

Bought my first Celtic Frost album/EP (Morbid Tales and Emperor's Return) yesterday, I like Hellhammer and that's why I bought it. Celtic Frost is even better, which I had expected. My favourite song right now must be Morbid Tales, "Are you morbid?".

What? I dont think there's a track called Are You Morbid In "Morbid Tales"
Are You Morbid? is a book by Tom.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
02.10.2006 - 14:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Valar on 02.10.2006 at 13:53

Haha, what? I mean that my favourite song is Morbid Tales and in that song Tom asks the classic Celtic Frost question: "Are you morbid?"
----
02.10.2006 - 14:07
Valar
IndianSteel
Written by Warman on 02.10.2006 at 14:04

Written by Valar on 02.10.2006 at 13:53

Haha, what? I mean that my favourite song is Morbid Tales and in that song Tom asks the classic Celtic Frost question: "Are you morbid?"

Chah! Sorry man!
----
01.12.2006 - 12:24
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Celtic Frost - Tour Report & Video:

Cult icons Celtic Frost recently completed a massive 47-date North American tour in support of Monotheist, their highly acclaimed new album. This was the group's first Stateside trek in over 17 years, and due to its overwhelming success, they are already in talks for a return trip next year.

Thomas Fischer (vocals, guitars) checks in with the following post tour report: "On the occasion of the conclusion of the 2006 North American leg of our Monotheist tour, we would like to pause for a moment to thank the many who made this massive undertaking possible. We wish to pay tribute to the extraordinary audiences we played for during our 47 concerts in the United States and Canada. Never before in the band's history have we been made to feel so welcome and respected. We particularly wish to thank the many who attended multiple tour dates, from two to what we believe is the current record, 10 concerts.

"We are further deeply indebted to our crew, each member of which has gone far beyond the call of duty to ensure each day that Celtic Frost were able to exercise onstage the required musical darkness. Gratitude and respect is also due to our special guests and friends 1349, Sahg, Sunn O))) and Goatwhore. In conclusion, we feel deeply honored to have been able to welcome to our shows many of our peers and friends, among them former Celtic Frost drummer Reed St. Mark. The Frost bows to all of you.

"This was our first tour of North America in over 17 years. As currently intended, we will return to the United States and Canada after the group concludes the currently scheduled tours of Japan and Europe in the first half of 2007. We look forward to seeing you all again soon."

Click here to check out the video for "A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh."

Celtic Frost official Website: http://www.celticfrost.com

(Source: http://www.centurymedia.com)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
26.12.2006 - 18:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Just me who thinks that a lot of songs on Vanity/Nemesis screams Megadeth? Especially The Name of My Bride. BTW, I bought Vanity/Nemesis today
----
26.12.2006 - 19:41
Basso
Account deleted
I will probalby see theese guys live again when they hit Malmö next year. I didnt get as close look at them when I saw them at wacken ^^.
26.12.2006 - 19:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
Cold Lake is like impossible to get here in Sweden
----
26.12.2006 - 20:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dangerboner on 02.10.2006 at 01:15

Tom from Celtic Frost said that they already have their next album in their heads and it's going to be more metal.

If its true then I hope ist like like 80ties albums, specely early realised, i had hear live songs in concert(in tv) from new album, its like more slow doom something but not xeltic Frost anymore
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.12.2006 - 22:49
Warman
Erotic Stains
I think the new album is a brilliant (and big) step in the Celtic Frost music. I do not want old CF sound on the next album. I do like Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion, but that's the past. It would be interesting if the next album sounded like Monotheist but it had a more "Avantgardish" style.
Could the next album be the succesor of Into the Pandemonium? The album the fans have been waiting for in almost 20 years, Under Apollyon's Sun? Yes, that would be cool! I do not want a copy of the 2 first albums, I want either Under Apollyon's Sun or a new chapter of their music
----
29.12.2006 - 07:32
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Warman on 26.12.2006 at 19:48

That's probably a good thing. I don't listen to Celtic Frost when I want to hear watered-down glam rock, I want to be hit in the face with some aggression! 'Cold Lake', unfortunately, was the biggest mistake the band ever made...
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
29.12.2006 - 13:19
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 29.12.2006 at 07:32

That's probably a good thing. I don't listen to Celtic Frost when I want to hear watered-down glam rock, I want to be hit in the face with some aggression! 'Cold Lake', unfortunately, was the biggest mistake the band ever made...

wasent it the label that made them "sell out" when that album was released or something? I think I heard that somewhere, that the album had a shady background.
29.12.2006 - 18:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 29.12.2006 at 13:19

Written by Judas on 29.12.2006 at 07:32

wasent it the label that made them "sell out" when that album was released or something? I think I heard that somewhere, that the album had a shady background.

Well, IMO it was Tom himself who "sold out" the band. He complained about the violent fans during the shows and just wanted to have fun. And fun in his opinion was apparently to record a glam rock album, wear sleazy outfits and do tribute songs to persons like Marilyn Monroe But the label was surely one of the reasons for the sell-out. Tom didn't want to release Cold Lake under the name Celtic Frost, he wanted it to be a different band. The label though, forced Tom to release Cold Lake as a Celtic Frost album.
Still, this is a album I just gotta have! Not for the music but for the "negative importance" it had on a big part of the metal scene.
----
29.12.2006 - 19:12
Basso
Account deleted
That album is totally worthless, in every single way. Just avoid it if you have any pride as a CF fan...
30.12.2006 - 05:39
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I wouldn't call "Cold Lake" commercial, as it was not pretended to sell, but just represented the new musical paths adopted by Celtic Frost... we can't expect them to keep loyalty to black/thrash for life... their new album "Monotheist", being great, is actually much more a commercial movement than "Cold Lake", like most back-to-the-roots actually are...
03.01.2007 - 09:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 30.12.2006 at 05:39

I wouldn't call "Cold Lake" commercial, as it was not pretended to sell, but just represented the new musical paths adopted by Celtic Frost... we can't expect them to keep loyalty to black/thrash for life... their new album "Monotheist", being great, is actually much more a commercial movement than "Cold Lake", like most back-to-the-roots actually are...

I don't why you think Cold Lake wasn't meant to sell. But I clearly remember that back in the day when it was released that Tom said he was frustrated by the fact that their albums didn't sell too well and that with Cold Lake he was hoping to break into the American market. And what better way to try and do that than with a glam metal album.
So... it WAS INTENDED to sell, but backfired fired horribly since it didn't sell AT ALL.

And I do agree with you that Monotheist was a commercial movement just as their reunion was.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.01.2007 - 16:06
Markku
Account deleted
In an interview with an estonian zine he told that this album is complete crap and he won't ever listen to it.
03.01.2007 - 16:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 03.01.2007 at 16:06

In an interview with an estonian zine he told that this album is complete crap and he won't ever listen to it.

You do mean Cold Lake, right? And yes, he truly hates that album and is ashamed of it. And why wouldn't he, of what I've heard of the album is awful, not just because it is glam rock, it is VERY BAD glam rock!
----