Iced Earth - A Narrative Soundscape

2.5 | 89 votes |
Release date: 21 January 2022
Style: Heavy metal, US power metal

Owners:

6 have it
3 want it

01. Dystopia (A Narrative Soundscape)
02. Declaration Day (A Narrative Soundscape)
03. Wolf (A Narrative Soundscape)
04. Dante's Inferno (A Narrative Soundscape)
05. Melancholy (A Narrative Soundscape)
06. Dracula (A Narrative Soundscape)
07. Raven Wing (A Narrative Soundscape)
08. Angels Holocaust (A Narrative Soundscape)
09. The Clouding (A Narrative Soundscape)
10. Something Wicked (A Narrative Soundscape)
11. Watching Over Me (A Narrative Soundscape)
12. Seven Headed Whore (A Narrative Soundscape)
13. Damien (A Narrative Soundscape)
14. Question Of Heaven (A Narrative Soundscape)
15. Come What May (A Narrative Soundscape)

Bottom 20 albums of all time: 3

Staff review by
tominator
Rating:
Something wickedly bad.

Read more ››
published 20.02.2022 | Comments (21)

Found in 6 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 69   Visited by: 797 users
29.01.2022 - 18:46
Rating: 2
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by JoHn Doe on 29.01.2022 at 18:22

When your album gets less respect than St Anger, it's when you realize you screwed up badly.

The funniest thing is I bet he thinks he did a really good job with this album, and his really proud of it
29.01.2022 - 18:55
JoHn Doe
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 29.01.2022 at 18:46

When your album gets less respect than St Anger, it's when you realize you screwed up badly.

The funniest thing is I bet he thinks he did a really good job with this album, and his really proud of it

I don't know if he's proud of it, he definitely thought it was a good idea. otherwise why release it?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
29.01.2022 - 23:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 29.01.2022 at 18:55

I don't know if he's proud of it, he definitely thought it was a good idea. otherwise why release it?

To get some money of corse
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.01.2022 - 23:24
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 29.01.2022 at 23:19

Written by JoHn Doe on 29.01.2022 at 18:55

To get some money of corse

nothing wrong with wanting to make money, but I don't think the band will make much money with this product/album.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
30.01.2022 - 15:43
Rating: 1
Reaper_Redeemer
If Jon ever listened to advice, then it would be to pause Iced Earth for years, prepare a dam' good album, say a dam' sorry, ensure it is not political and earn his supporters back in a real way. I can't believe he managed to find a way to enrage them even more.
30.01.2022 - 17:37
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Bottom 4 of all time now
31.01.2022 - 00:24
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
I'm only a couple of "tracks" in right now... I'm going to have to review this, aren't I? I mean, it's too special to ignore.
31.01.2022 - 07:20
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by tominator on 31.01.2022 at 00:24

I'm only a couple of "tracks" in right now... I'm going to have to review this, aren't I? I mean, it's too special to ignore.

Yes you must
31.01.2022 - 13:25
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I don't think that revenue from sales of this thing will be enough to cover what Jon Schaffer has to spend on lawyers right now.
31.01.2022 - 13:52
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Lord Slothrop on 29.01.2022 at 04:23

I can't believe he released this under Iced Earth. Why not make it a separate project? And it's not just abysmal, it's grating. Lulu>A Narrative Landscape.

To be fair, when Varg went to prison he also released under Burzum's name. Even though the songs had nothing to do with the project
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
31.01.2022 - 21:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Karlabos on 31.01.2022 at 13:52

Written by Lord Slothrop on 29.01.2022 at 04:23

I can't believe he released this under Iced Earth. Why not make it a separate project? And it's not just abysmal, it's grating. Lulu>A Narrative Landscape.

To be fair, when Varg went to prison he also released under Burzum's name. Even though the songs had nothing to do with the project

Also to be fair, Burzum was a 1 man band anyway. Were any of the other remaining Iced Earth members on this album?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.02.2022 - 13:01
Callisto
Written by M C Vice on 31.01.2022 at 21:11

Also to be fair, Burzum was a 1 man band anyway. Were any of the other remaining Iced Earth members on this album?

I mean... IE was not a 1 man band in the sense that Jon didn't record everything himself, but it was mostly a 1 man + 3 employees band at this point.

I don't question his right to use Iced Earth's name since I consider that he IS Iced Earth, I question wether this album is an intelligent move on his part. If he is his brand, releasing some quick-fixed bootleg just to get money is in fact damaging IE's brand and therefore, his source of income.
01.02.2022 - 22:58
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Heard this turd for real today. What was he thinking? Who is this for? Who wants to hear Jon Schaffer doing spoken word covers of his own songs?
This goes down as one of the worst albums ive ever heard.
02.02.2022 - 03:47
RCMetal
I appear to be one of the few people that can separate a person's music output from their personal opinions, religious beliefs, politics or crimes. It's disappointing that the majority of reactions are because of what Jon did last year (no, I'm not defending him), not because the album is terrible. Honestly, as an instrumental, I could see myself listening to this, but as a spoken world album, it's a dumpster fire.
02.02.2022 - 04:23
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow this album reached the bottom of all time top list really quickly.
Quite weird, really. It's not great, but there are plenty albums worse than this
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
04.02.2022 - 01:33
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I was really worried about giving this a 1, but its just the worst piece of shit I've ever heard.

Even Lulu has some redeeming qualities (when you don't listen to it as a Metallica album but rather as a Lou Reed album), but the only good thing to say about this album is that you can turn it off and go do something better with your life.

This is without even considering how much of a piece of shit Schaffer is.

Jokes aside, this album is probably a cash grab. Schaffer hasn't toured in years, add on top of that all of his legal costs and its no wonder he is willing to put out anything. I'm surprised he didn't just released old material, hell unreleased demos from their extensive catalogue would be a much better play than this.
----
04.02.2022 - 18:28
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
He released his Dauði Baldrs before even going to prison, that's quite an achievement
05.02.2022 - 03:31
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Karlabos on 02.02.2022 at 04:23
but there are plenty albums worse than this

Such as?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.02.2022 - 11:53
Dylan 1974
Steaming pile of scrotum scum.
06.02.2022 - 12:40
nikarg
Staff
Written by Dylan 1974 on 06.02.2022 at 11:53

This is a tad too graphic.
06.02.2022 - 12:45
Dylan 1974
Written by nikarg on 06.02.2022 at 12:40

Written by Dylan 1974 on 06.02.2022 at 11:53

This is a tad too graphic.

True. But aptly represents how I feel about this infeasibly shite release.
06.02.2022 - 13:50
nikarg
Staff
Written by Dylan 1974 on 06.02.2022 at 12:45

True. But aptly represents how I feel about this infeasibly shite release.

Well, you can feel any way you want but, since you are newly registered here, I suggest you read the rules of posting before posting in the forum again. Especially the following part:

This is not the place to spam and post nonsense. Before posting a new message think if it's worth posting at all. We do not condone "spamming", and this can include everything we judge inappropriate and for the most part it has to do with using a bit of common sense.

For instance:
- Don't go bashing bands (or any other subject for that matter) you don't like unless you really have something of worth to say. Replying with a phrase like "it sucks" without backing it up with some argument is totally useless and will only offend people.

- Try to always give detailed opinions, with explanations and as much as information as needed. Short posting, including stuff in the vein of "SLAYER SLAYS!!!" and posting nothing but smilies is often considered spamming. Remember that what you post should be worth it!

I hope this all makes sense to you. And welcome to Metal Storm, by the way.
06.02.2022 - 14:06
Dylan 1974
No problem . Though it doesn't alter how I feel about this album from one of my favourite bands. An absolute disaster from start to finish and so boring it rendered me comatose.
06.02.2022 - 17:33
Rating: 10
Mariusz
Written by RCMetal on 02.02.2022 at 03:47

I appear to be one of the few people that can separate a person's music output from their personal opinions, religious beliefs, politics or crimes. It's disappointing that the majority of reactions are because of what Jon did last year (no, I'm not defending him), not because the album is terrible. Honestly, as an instrumental, I could see myself listening to this, but as a spoken world album, it's a dumpster fire.

totally agree, it is sad and so obvious that people here put their manipulated opinions about the person, instead of the record that is subject here. If they feel so obligated to rate low every weak album, let them spend the rest of their life rating millions of weak albums here and writing comments on how bad they hate the music. But you know what? Jon will come back and he will make the Iced Earth album so powerful that most of you will regret your words, and it will be too late Mark my words.
06.02.2022 - 22:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by nikarg on 06.02.2022 at 13:50

I feel like there’s an exemption for bottom 20 albums
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.02.2022 - 14:45
Rating: 8
EloZ
I think the idea is not bad. It is not an ordinary album, it is something different, which allows you to focus exclusively on the lyrics. The music is only in the background, as happens in the recitation of poetry. I don't want to say that the lyrics are comparable to poetry, but I understand, as a poet, what was meant to be done. The result, in my opinion, is acceptable, although I much prefer the original songs, as the lyrics are meant to be in a song and not for a narration.
21.02.2022 - 15:21
Derelict Earth
Wow, this is atrocious ...
21.02.2022 - 19:37
ATG
Probably would have been better if the narration wasn't just all the lyrics from other songs haha I would have rather of heard the instruments in the background and orchestration and call it an instrumental album, haven't listened to it all the way to give a rating but definitely can see why no one is into this at the same time.
22.02.2022 - 14:22
Stormm
Written by RCMetal on 02.02.2022 at 03:47

It's big problem for most people these days. To stay apolitical. It's annoying sometimes.
24.02.2022 - 18:07
Nate612
Please let this fall below a 2

Hits total: 8354 | This month: 52