Metal Storm logo
Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying... And The Dead!

7.6 | 418 votes |
Release date: 2 September 2022
Style: Heavy metal, Thrash metal

Owners:

169 have it
33 want it

01. The Sick, The Dying... And The Dead!
02. Life In Hell
03. Night Stalkers [feat. Ice-T]
04. Dogs Of Chernobyl
05. Sacrifice
06. Junkie
07. Psychopathy
08. Killing Time
09. Soldier On!
10. Célebutante
11. Mission To Mars
12. We'll Be Back
13. Police Truck [Dead Kennedys cover] [digital edition bonus]
14. This Planet’s On Fire (Burn In Hell) [Sammy Hagar cover] [feat. Sammy Hagar] [digital edition bonus]

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Perhaps not an album to talk about in your local hospital.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2022 | Comments (14)

Found in 34 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 106   Visited by: 981 users
03.09.2022 - 17:55
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
If they got rid of the old man mumbling this might actually be a decent album.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.09.2022 - 20:40
Rating: 10
BCI
First listen and I'm really digging this. I had very low expectations going in, after reading all them negative comments. Some of you guys need professional help. Seriously. 😂
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
03.09.2022 - 21:20
Rating: 9
sgtrobo
People have been bitching about mustaine's vocals forever. Nothing new there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the album. Great guitar work, several catchy songs, lot of energy.
03.09.2022 - 21:27
BCI
Written by sgtrobo on 03.09.2022 at 21:20

I thoroughly enjoyed the album. Great guitar work, several catchy songs, lot of energy.

Couldn't agree more
----
03.09.2022 - 21:51
MegaTornado
Just a reminder: even Rust In Peace had some bad reviews and low ratings:)) Pls just listen this album a few times before rating it. I am not saying this is Rust In Peace, but it has many hidden things that you can't find after only one or two hearings. This wonderful album it's for veterans who really understand metal.
03.09.2022 - 22:54
Rating: 7
MahoDM
Dumbass

both is true but I really enjoyed the vocals on several other albums, but here it just seems out of place + the chorus and melodiousness of the vocals often dissapoint here (not only the voice)
03.09.2022 - 23:53
Rating: 9
Dorian75
Written by BCI on 03.09.2022 at 20:40

First listen and I'm really digging this. I had very low expectations going in, after reading all them negative comments. Some of you guys need professional help. Seriously. 😂

They don't listen to any album at all. Just a few seconds from every song. The only need they have is just to pour bitterness to everything.
04.09.2022 - 03:37
Rating: 8
thenomad111
The songs are great but I just can't get into Dave's understandably weaker voice. Keep thinking how good these would be with his usual vocals back in the day.
04.09.2022 - 10:49
Nejde
CommunityManager
Reading all the comments about his weaker voice makes me believe that people must be lacking both a long and short term memory. Dave had throat cancer, remember? And he is 61 years old. So I would call this a really strong comeback vocally. Also this album is actually way better than the previous ones and I think Dave is showing good old form. I had low expectations going in but was pleasantly surprised.
04.09.2022 - 11:52
Rating: 6
Zephyrox
To me this album is quite mediocre. Sure, it's got the great guitar work that Megadeth is known for, but the album falls short particularly in the middle to the point of being straight up boring. I understand Dave has just bounced back from throat cancer, but just judging from what I hear his vocals are pretty flat and takes away a lot of the energy this album could've had. I won't find myself coming back to this very often, maybe just for the first couple of tracks and 'We'll Be Back'.
04.09.2022 - 11:58
Stormm

Well, one of the most atrocious vocals on scene. Criticism is well earned here.
04.09.2022 - 12:00
Stormm
Written by Nejde on 04.09.2022 at 10:49

Reading all the comments about his weaker voice makes me believe that people must be lacking both a long and short term memory. Dave had throat cancer, remember? And he is 61 years old. So I would call this a really strong comeback vocally. Also this album is actually way better than the previous ones and I think Dave is showing good old form. I had low expectations going in but was pleasantly surprised.

Throat cancer is another good reason to hire decent vocalist. But not for mr. Mustaine of course.
04.09.2022 - 12:12
thenomad111
Written by Nejde on 04.09.2022 at 10:49

I understand the reasons for his bad voice but that doesn't mean I like it. His voice makes the songs just bland, I had the same reaction to Dystopia. I just feel the songs are ruined.
04.09.2022 - 16:49
MegaTornado
For the people rating this lower then 8: if you know metal just listen to the album more. It's impossible not to get it after 3-4 hearings. And it might be the other variants: some of you just don't have the patience, hate Mustaine or his voice, or you just don't get it's brilliance.

This album is absolutly amazing.

If you only love growls, death and black metal, tha's ok, but the intrsumental work is top Megadeth level, and this can't be debated, top Megadeth Rust In Peace for example it's one the pinnacles of metal.
04.09.2022 - 17:44
nikarg
Staff
I fail to see why people strive to change other people's opinions.

Here's mine after 3 listens: extraordinary lead work, possibly the best I've heard since Marty was in the band. The album really drags in the middle with some generic machine gun rifffing but it has a very strong beginning and ending. "We'll be back" is top tier. Dave's vocals have deteriorated but I don't give a flying fuck because I never did. Overall, more or less on par with Dystopia, a bit like Endgame but not as strong. Definitely better than most thrash that comes out these days but a 10 rating is outright ridiculous. Rust In Peace is 10. Peace Sells is 10. Get some perspective. At the same time a 5 is equally ridiculous. The musicianship alone deserves more. By the way, Kiko and Dirk are really lifting the album up. And Dave has done a very respectable job with the songwriting.

Thank you for reading. Please don't try to change my mind.
04.09.2022 - 18:09
devilstoy
Written by MahoDM on 02.09.2022 at 00:38

Meh
The guitars are great but the vocals kinda ruin it for me in this particular album
04.09.2022 - 18:25
devilstoy
I don't understand why so many people have a problem with his vocals. His have never been the best but by fek they are not anyway been the worst in the thrash world. So many much worse but his seem to be singled out on every album release. Love the music. Keep it coming.
04.09.2022 - 18:26
I confess that i got hyped by the first three singles, i was thinking this would be on the same level of the first 4 albuns, but still very good.

Kiko and Dirk both did an amazing job, possibly one of my favorite formations of he band.

My opnion diverges from some people here, loved "Killing Time" and not liked "Dogs of Chernobyl"

Tracks 4, 5 and 6 are my let downs so far.
04.09.2022 - 20:33
MahoDM
Dumbass
Written by devilstoy on 04.09.2022 at 18:25

I don't understand why so many people have a problem with his vocals. His have never been the best but by fek they are not anyway been the worst in the thrash world. So many much worse but his seem to be singled out on every album release. Love the music. Keep it coming.

I really liked dystopia and everything before the Countdown lp
04.09.2022 - 22:09
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by nikarg on 04.09.2022 at 17:44

Thank you for reading. Please don't try to change my mind.

Buuut buuuut…
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.09.2022 - 22:54
BCI
Written by nikarg on 04.09.2022 at 17:44

I fail to see why people strive to change other people's opinions.

I can think of a few reasons. Because other people's opinions affects us and vice versa. Because we are social creatures and we tend to want to agree with our peers. Because It's also a way for some to present the reasons why they like/dislike something.

I personally try and welcome well mannered disagreement because it makes me a better, and more informed person. If I'm wrong about something, I want to know so that I can stop being wrong.
----
05.09.2022 - 09:47
Zap
For a second there during Mission To Mars I thought Mustaine would go
"And I wanna, I wanna bе an astronaut
I wanna, I wanna...
I wanna really, really, really
Wanna zigazig, ah"
05.09.2022 - 10:18
nikarg
Staff
Written by BCI on 04.09.2022 at 22:54

I can think of a few reasons. Because other people's opinions affects us and vice versa. Because we are social creatures and we tend to want to agree with our peers. Because It's also a way for some to present the reasons why they like/dislike something.

Fair enough. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Written by BCI on 04.09.2022 at 22:54

I personally try and welcome well mannered disagreement because it makes me a better, and more informed person. If I'm wrong about something, I want to know so that I can stop being wrong.

That's fine and dandy, too, even though there is no right and wrong when it comes to taste. In any case...

Written by BCI on 03.09.2022 at 20:40

Comments like this are not "well mannered disagreement" and don't make anyone "a better, and more informed person". Seriously. 😂
05.09.2022 - 10:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Black ops shooters, loaded and angry, Hellfire missiles, desert, seems Dave likes hanger. Back 80's 80's conspiracy theory. I might be getting old, can not judge objective, but this might be their best after Youthonesia. After each album had 1-2 good songs, rest of album ''crap'', now here is solid structure, self titled song, Night stalers, Junkie, Solder On, Mission On Mars are best songs, rest of album is solid, good riffing, good secret work somewhere in a desert. I like it, not best, but strongest after 1994. But also to long, 62 minutes ... to me 50 is enough.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.09.2022 - 12:23
BCI
Written by nikarg on 05.09.2022 at 10:18

Comments like this are not "well mannered disagreement" and don't make anyone "a better, and more informed person". Seriously. 😂

It was meant as a joke. Hence the (😂). I'm not a perfect communicator, far from it, but I do strive to do better!
😳
----
05.09.2022 - 14:57
X-FrEaK
I like the album. Yes Dave's voice is ruined, but at least live, it was already ruined before 2010 (tbh I forgot last time I saw them, but it was ages ago). Nevertheless I always loved how his voice fits Megadeth, and for the purpose of fitting the music, its still there.

Its very reminiscent of Dystopia, Endgame, well, the previous albums in general (minus Super Collider thank god). Crazy how at 61, after countless injuries, rehabs, cancers, he can still pull of such quick riffage.

PS: I hate the end of Soldier On, always skip it lol (love the song otherwise)
----
05.09.2022 - 17:46
MegaTornado
"That's fine and dandy, too, even though there is no right and wrong when it comes to taste. In any case..."

I disagree... All the people(wrongly in my opinion) have the right to vote(as it the same situation in here with voting the albums) and in this whay the majority of votes influence the others. So lets say 51% love to eat fecals(or whatever parallel - like Trump voters, or Biden or whatever) and they vote and making it a majority, they make me eat fecals, that is not right.

Same here, a lot of people might have bad taste in music, or don't have the intelect to understand the greatness of this album: in a small amount they influnece the sales, the publicity, the willing for other people to listen to it.

So what I am saying is: if don't have the intelect, or you are a hater = not objective vote... then you DON'T GET THE RIGHT TO VOTE. So yes, it is right and wrong in taste as long if with your bad taste you are making even the smallest impact on others, like in this case.

And in this case, if you give this album a bad grade, you hurt the band and the the others feelings, and make Metalstorm unreliable.
05.09.2022 - 18:08
A Real Mönkey
I can’t believe a Megadeth album is the most polarizing thing on this site right now.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
05.09.2022 - 18:26
JoHn Doe
Written by A Real Mönkey on 05.09.2022 at 18:08

I can’t believe a Megadeth album is the most polarizing thing on this site right now.

I'm not surprised, it happens all the time with big, famous bands.
Just check out Nightwish's last album.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
05.09.2022 - 19:00
X-FrEaK
Written by MegaTornado on 05.09.2022 at 17:46

And in this case, if you give this album a bad grade, you hurt the band and the the others feelings, and make Metalstorm unreliable.

If your feelings get hurt because your band does not have the rating you want them to, I would recommend you to go to therapy. No offense, I go to therapy, but for other more soul searching reasons.
----

Hits total: 16582 | This month: 38