Metal Storm logo
Metal Guitar Heroes

08.10.2007 - 03:34
Nazeef
I think I only know few of Guitar Heroes who play Metal... John Petrucci, Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Stephan Forté...
I was wondering how much they are? are they really Metal? What are the favorate works?
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
08.10.2007 - 17:35
Kharn
Account deleted
in that list you've given there, malmsteen is about the only one that is dead set in metal. the rest have dabbled in various different styles.

For me...

Chuck Schuldiner - Death. Overactive imagination and voice of the soul are truly classic pieces.
Trey Azagthoth - Morbid Angel. Anything from altars of madness and the song hatework. hatework is simple but is so heavy, its brilliant!
Pat O'Brian - Cannibal Corpse. what can i say anything written since he's been in the band is bloody fantastic.
09.10.2007 - 00:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Stéphan Forté from Adagio...what an amazing virtuoso guitarist who just flies all over the fretboard...
Johan Reinholdz...quite an accomplished progressive metal guitarist who can shred like nobody's business...
Carl Groom and Nick Midson from Threshold...a great team who composes some solid consistent neo-progressive metal guitar work
Ron Jarzombek...a technical metal guitarists who blows everyone out of the water and kicks everyone's asses on guitar!
09.10.2007 - 02:33
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Your list:
John Petrucci- One of my idols and from one of my favorite metal bands of all time, he is simply amazing, and I hope to atain his level of skill one one day. In my opinion, of all the "Shred Masters" out there, he is the best, because he doesn't just play repetitive solo's all through a song, he plays rhythms and his music holds consistancy, not only that but his style seems to be the most unique. Long live Dream Theater! Long live LTE! and long live the Jelly Jam!

Ingwie Malmstein- I don't care for him too much, he seems to only care about showing off his skills and flaunting his noteriety, he doesn't seem to be able to write a song with a solid background behind it, and he is blown out of proportion. I don't mean to offend any Malmstein fans, but I just don't like him.

Paul Gilbert- While he may not be a metal musician, he is still an amazing guitarist and is one of the key members of an influential prog rock band (and indirectly, influential to prog metal) Pink Floyd. I have quite a bit of respect for him

Stephen Forte- Not really too familiar with him........

My list:
John Petrucci -See above

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith- Iron Maiden kicks ass, as all of you probably already know. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith are partially responsible for revolutionizing the ever so commonly used duel harmony lines used in metal today. Whether it be power, heavy, melo-death, or any other melodic genre of metal, and in some cases, non-melodic, you can hear that influence. Not only that, but they are just amazing guitarists. So solid, so fluent, so smooth.

Dave Mustain- Megadeth is one of the first metal bands I listened to, and are one of the most influential thrash bands to have ever wandered the earth. Dave's style of playing rhythms are so unique, and have had the heaviest impact on my playing. He is also a mastermind behind his music, and that is something I can respect in a musician.

Marty Friedman- My favorite megadeth lead guitarist, marty is one of the two people responsible for the invention of pick sweeps (along with Jason Becker.) He also has a very unique style, with some spanish influenced guitar solo's. With Mustain's unique Rhythm section, this is just simply my favorite combo ever for thrash guitarists

Chuck Schuldiner- Another one of the people I admire the most, he was innovative and his music touches me. With every album he released, he always got progressively better, and always strived to do his best, he did NOT slack. He is, in essence, everything I aspire to be, and I have eternal respect for him. RIP chuck.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
09.10.2007 - 10:56
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 09.10.2007 at 02:33

Paul Gilbert- While he may not be a metal musician, he is still an amazing guitarist and is one of the key members of an influential prog rock band (and indirectly, influential to prog metal) Pink Floyd. I have quite a bit of respect for him

Paul Gilbert is in fact a metal musician, he is in Racer X...
09.10.2007 - 13:59
Nazeef

Ingwie Malmstein- I don't care for him too much, he seems to only care about showing off his skills and flaunting his noteriety, he doesn't seem to be able to write a song with a solid background behind it, and he is blown out of proportion. I don't mean to offend any Malmstein fans, but I just don't like him.

My list:
Chuck Schuldiner- Another one of the people I admire the most, he was innovative and his music touches me. With every album he released, he always got progressively better, and always strived to do his best, he did NOT slack. He is, in essence, everything I aspire to be, and I have eternal respect for him. RIP chuck.

About Malmsteen: It's all about the Swedish flavor, he's so Neo-Classical, Speed and Heavy Metal.
I don't think he shows off, maybe you see that because he's always wrecking his Fender at every end of a show... Anyway, he had interpreted a lot of Baroque and Classical music, he did a great job but maybe he lacks some groove or variations...

About Paul Gilbert: I think he had a heavy metal experience with his band called "Racer X" (Maybe it's not that heavy...) and I admired him while playing with his Rock band "Mr Big"; it's really cool.

About Stephan Forté: You have really to have an idea about his virtuosity... he's really very interesting, nevertheless, he may reminds you of Malmsteen... but he really shreds and do whatever he wants and things that you can't expect... "Adagio - Underworld"===A must Listen

About Chuck Schuldiner: I think you have really expressed it better than me
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
09.10.2007 - 15:27
gerrard888
Account deleted

Your list:
John Petrucci- One of my idols and from one of my favorite metal bands of all time, he is simply amazing, and I hope to atain his level of skill one one day. In my opinion, of all the "Shred Masters" out there, he is the best, because he doesn't just play repetitive solo's all through a song, he plays rhythms and his music holds consistancy, not only that but his style seems to be the most unique. Long live Dream Theater! Long live LTE! and long live the Jelly Jam!

My list:
John Petrucci -See above

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith- Iron Maiden kicks ass, as all of you probably already know. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith are partially responsible for revolutionizing the ever so commonly used duel harmony lines used in metal today. Whether it be power, heavy, melo-death, or any other melodic genre of metal, and in some cases, non-melodic, you can hear that influence. Not only that, but they are just amazing guitarists. So solid, so fluent, so smooth.

Dave Mustain- Megadeth is one of the first metal bands I listened to, and are one of the most influential thrash bands to have ever wandered the earth. Dave's style of playing rhythms are so unique, and have had the heaviest impact on my playing. He is also a mastermind behind his music, and that is something I can respect in a musician.

Marty Friedman- My favorite megadeth lead guitarist, marty is one of the two people responsible for the invention of pick sweeps (along with Jason Becker.) He also has a very unique style, with some spanish influenced guitar solo's. With Mustain's unique Rhythm section, this is just simply my favorite combo ever for thrash guitarists

i agree about john petrucci he is amazing

dave murray and adrian smith are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10.10.2007 - 04:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I don't know much about technique, but I'll say the ones I like, based on their speed and effects they can do:

- Michael Romeo: He's fast, talented, and makes great effects, he plays passionately and hes's a music god, he released a solo prog album in which he played every instrument: Guitars, bass, drums, and keybords.

- Dave Mustaine: He IS Megadeth. His playing in unique. One can recongnizze a Mustaone riff instantly.

- Steve Vai and Joe Satriani: G3. They're the masters

- Yngwie: Speed, his ego makes me laugh too.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
12.10.2007 - 06:02
Sonsofsabbath
how about Piggy from voivod. he is unique
04.11.2007 - 21:05
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine: I think other people above have stated his accomplishments better then i can .

Kerry King, Jeff Hanneman: I LOVE their fast, chaotic, evil riffs, they're truly brilliant and in my eyes they are guitar gods. Kerry King is also considered by many to be one of the best rhythme guitar players in metal.

Michael Stützer: Many people probably don't know him but he should definetly have a place in the "Greatest Thrash Guitarest" list because of his incredible work in the band Artillery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glvUt4NC6Tc <<<<< one of my favourite songs by them.

Eric Peterson: He's not an extremely talented guitar player, i mean he's great but not a prodegy. I really just love his playing style, eg i loved his work in the album Low.
04.11.2007 - 23:06
GothHorizon
all the well known and
good one that dont really famus(atleast hear) but should be

uli jon roth(he even was with scorpions)

Venga La Primavera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDTO3XUGZ4
----
Great Israeli Metal:
Orphaned Land-myspace.com/orphanedmyspace
Salem-myspace.com/11075777
Metal scenT-myspace.com/metalscentband
Betzefer-myspace.com/betzefer
More:Whorecore/Distorted
For More:forums.metalist.co.il/forum_posts.asp?TID=7555&PN=1
05.11.2007 - 16:15
Stratowarrior
TIMO TOLKKI: is my favourite and if i ever learn to play well guitar i would like to play like him, cos his solos have lot of feeling and he is the responsible for everything Stratovarius has done and for me is the best guitar player by far and also my favourite. up the Stratos!!!
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
05.11.2007 - 23:54
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
Jeff Waters - his solos and riffs are amazing and he is one of the best persons that i have met...
06.11.2007 - 01:15
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Well, there are lots of standards upon which you can base the opinion about certain musician, such as speed, skill, etc.... BUT, instead of that, I will do something different, Ill just write down few guitarists whose music I like to play the most, which means that I really appreciate their style and approach to music, as an art form, rather than showing of skills.

Those would be:

Jon Schaffer, Dave Mustaine, Chuck Schuldiner, and Dave Murray & Adrian Smith.
----
06.11.2007 - 14:27
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Petrucci is my guitar hero even though some might find him overrated. He made me play guitar much more than I played before. Wanting to play like him made be better even if I'm not half as good as he is. I practised much more and gave more of myself to my guitar (that helps).

I remember I loved Dave Murray's style and he was one of the reasons I started loving Iron Maiden. It wasnt just about his style playing, he had good solos and I liked the way he moved when he played. Then he got old lol Still love him though.

Then we have Satriani, the first guitar virtuoso I payed attention to, even before Petrucci and Murray. My brother gave me "The Extremist" and I was hooked and thought "those are beautiful melodies, do you think I can do that too?" and there you go, I started playing "Cryin'" and it helped me develop my movements on the guitar and work on my agility.

So those are probably my heroes. I have other guitar players I admire but they weren't as important I would say in my style of playing. I love the guitarist in my favourite bands, I think they are great songwriters but those 3 stand out and changed something in me.

Nice topic by the way. Maggot.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.11.2007 - 05:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Fast Eddie Clarke
Such a unique blues style that gave Motorhead there signature sound for the first 5 albums. He was not the most technical player in the world but his solos were always so catchy (IE Ace Of Spades solo). If I was to play guitar (which I was thinking of picking up when I have the time and money) Id want to have a style like Fast Eddie.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.11.2007 - 16:47
Samuel550
Account deleted
For the sake of the not yet mentioned:

Andreas Kisser: This is the guy that made 'Beneath The Remains' and 'Arise' the best Sepultura albums and two of the greatest thrash/death metal albums in existence. For that alone, he gets my respect.

Bobby Gustafson: Maybe not the most technically virtuous, but man can he play a solo. I love the way he based his style on the British metal bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden which is very evident in his playing, especially in his days with Overkill. Great guitarist.

Toni Iommi: This guy IS BLACK SABBATH. Not Ozzy Osbourne, Dio or any other reincarnation with a different vocalist. It was Iommi' riffs that made Black Sabbath, nuff said.

Jimi Hendrix: Even though he was quite before metals time, it cannot be denied that without this guy, metal guitarists and musicians in general would not be playing the way they do now. It must be said, Jimi Hendrix had a virtuosity and showmanship equalled by very few in the world of guitar Rock.
09.11.2007 - 23:18
Hellsing
Mattias IA Eklundh!!! he es probably the craziest guitar player I've ever seen:dtongue:
John Petrucci
Jeff Kollman
Paul Gilbert
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio
10.11.2007 - 01:07
Anon
Account deleted
Jari Maenpaa - Wintersun / Ensiferum
Alexi Laiho - Children of Bodom
Paul Gilbert - Solo / Mr. Big / Racer X
John Petrucci - Solo / Dream Theater
Michael Romeo - Symphony X
Yngwie Malmsteen - Solo

There are tons more, that was just a quick list.
11.03.2008 - 18:13
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Whatever happened to Jani Liimatainen after Sonata. Truly a Legend. I hope he comes back into the spot light. A Great Loss.
11.03.2008 - 18:18
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Alexi Laiho, He shows a lot more of his talent in Sinergy than in Bodom. nevertheless a Master.
12.03.2008 - 03:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Has anyone said Michael Angelo Batio yet? Hes amazing.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.03.2008 - 04:25
Metal_Militia
//Can i get a little chuck schuldiner?? Incredible artist and poet, i think one of the best modern guitarist to bless the instrument. His playing is so technical and advanced. Just beautiful. It also carried onto Control Denied. Ill never get board of his music. He will be missed...R.I.P. Can't forget my boys Dave Mustaine and John Petrucci too//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

12.03.2008 - 07:04
selken
Irreligious
[Dont want to post large stuff]
- Chuck Schuldiner: Aggression and melody
- Jon Nodveit (Dissection): the same as above
- Timo Tolkki: Neoclassical master.
- Kai Hansen: the most powerful composer ever born.
- Mike Petrozza: Face-melting riffing with a killer voice!
----
06.04.2008 - 20:45
IronBlackZepp
TONY IOMMI was the creator, the first guy to play Metal in a recording. His riffs are still some of the best, and darkest. Iommi deserves to make every metal list.

GLEN TIPTON & KK DOWNING were also inavators and great guitarists. Some of the first shreding guitarists around back in the late 70's. Iron Maiden would probably never think of their sound if these guys wernt around.

DAVE MURREY & ADRIAN SMITH were quite simular to Tipton and Downing. I actually like Murrey and Smith more. The twin lean in Maiden is just so distinked that You can tell the difference between the different guitarists.

RANDY RHOADS was one of the first to play NEO Classical metal. He was more of a composer then most players. His stile was one of the most unique.
08.04.2008 - 00:13
BrightNight
Tony Iommi on the first place ofcourse, he greated Heavy Metal. He is second to none....never.

Ritchy Blackmore brought Great influence to Heavy Metal Music and Eddie van Halen should not be forgotten either
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
08.04.2008 - 15:37
LoverOfDarkness3
Account deleted
I know it's probably cliche, but I'm going to say Dimebag. It's hard to put into words, but Pantera was the first exposure I had to metal even though I was 17 at the time, since most of my friends didn't like that type of music. When I heard him play I knew that no other kind of music would have the same effect on me as metal did. So for me, he is my guitar hero lol. I feel like such a dork saying that, but I had to share. ^_^
08.04.2008 - 15:44
Hangar XVIII
Yngwie Malmsteen - Pretty good, especially on Rising Force and Trilogy (Anyone who can slay a dragon with his guitar must be awesome)
Michael Angelo Batio - Fast as hell, and plays on too-many-necked guitars.
Abbath - Wow. I don't like black metal for the most part, but this dude is pretty damn good.
Alexi Laiho - Fast. Good tone too.

I like a lot of older people who aren't really 'metal', but helped start the genre too. Mick Box, Richie Blackmore, Tony Iommi.
Especially Blackmore, who is godlike.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
08.04.2008 - 19:16
HugeTheConqeror
For overall musicality (style and composition), I would have to say Toni Iommi and Randy Rhodes are at the top of my list.

As far as technicality and dexterity go, I am in awe of Chuck Schulinder, Andreas Allenmark (Anata), and Muhammed Suiçmez (Necrophagist)
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
08.04.2008 - 20:43
Charly546
Steve Ramsey & Russ Tippins from Satan/Blind Fury/Pariah (same band, three names and styles). They can play anything, and are completely over the top, combining technicality and melody; plus they were superb songwriters. Both had a style of their own, but always backing up each other. Symbiosis would be a good word to describe it. The riffs, leads and solos they created, are masterpieces. Definitely the best guitar-duo. Ever. Just listen to "Court in the Act" and you'll see what I mean.