Metal Storm logo
Metal Guitar Heroes

Original post

Posted by Nazeef, 08.10.2007 - 03:34
I think I only know few of Guitar Heroes who play Metal... John Petrucci, Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Stephan Forté...
I was wondering how much they are? are they really Metal? What are the favorate works?
08.04.2008 - 23:16
Colony
Account deleted
I say Laiho since he shows sooooo much energy while playing and is very enthusiastic when he's playing guitar
08.04.2008 - 23:58
doomina
Account deleted
hm ...
Daniel and Vincent Cavanagh - they create such beautiful tunes ...
Steve von Till and Scott Kelly - these guys have a brutal sound and know how to arrange songs.
Clifford Mayer - he's playing in so many bands, isis, red sparowes, windmills by the ocean (...) and his style is always completely different, but always killer.
10.04.2008 - 01:43
GhostofPerdition
Account deleted
I only have a couple.

Herman Li: He has some of the craziest riffs. He has a lot of talent to be able to play as quick as he does.It's quite amazing to actually watch him.
Mikael Akerfeldt: May not be as quick as Herman Li, but I find he has the most creative guitar riffs I have ever heard. It takes good talent and a great mind to be able to come up with creative stuff like that.
10.04.2008 - 15:17
Hangar XVIII
I just remembered possibly my favorite that I didn't mention earlier:
Andy Laroque (I think that's how you spell it) of King Diamond's band.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
10.04.2008 - 19:16
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Me...when I play Guitar Hero
25.04.2008 - 09:05
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by Guest on 10.04.2008 at 19:16

Me...when I play Guitar Hero

Surely You must rock dude!
25.04.2008 - 09:06
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Michael Weikath from Helloween, he is the most talented one, he create some classics in metal history.
25.04.2008 - 21:42
Lord TJ
I don't think they are considered heroes, but the two guitarists for Angra, Kiko and Rafael, take a listen to some of their songs and listen to how they play together. In my opinion it sounds godly sometimes, they are both amazing guitarists and influenced me with my musicianship.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
09.05.2008 - 22:17
Gordon Freeman
What defines the term 'Guitar Hero'? Some people here just seem to be naming people based on writing skill or wether or not they like the band.

A true guitar hero, in my opinion, is someone who stands out while on stage. He has to be someone who outshines the front man or is a front man in his own right. The kind of guy that plays blistering solos, wanks his guitar and throws in too many pinch harmonics then could ever be needed.

There are few in any real metal genres that fit that bill, Petrucci and Laiho stand out in my mind.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
10.05.2008 - 11:49
NuclearRedneck
Account deleted
Randy Rhoads. Nuff 'said.
11.05.2008 - 15:09
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Alex Lifeson of Rush is awsome. I've also always really liked Esa Holopainen of Amorphis, he just has somme of the most awsome, groovy solos.
----
Coldgrits
12.05.2008 - 15:38
Stratowarrior
Michael Weikath,Sascha Gerstner, Timo Tolkki, Jani Liimatainen, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Jancik Gers
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
14.05.2008 - 17:46
To this day, I haven't heard anyone better than Marty Friedman.
Other heroes are Uli Jon Roth, Yngwie Malmsteen, Randy Rhoads, Glenn Tipton/K.K. Downing, Dave Murray etc.
22.05.2008 - 14:57
vatro
Account deleted
My guitar heroes are Michael Romeo,John Petrucci,Chuck Schuldiner,Alexi Laiho
10.06.2008 - 17:54
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Alexi Laiho too. His style is quite unique IMO. But since I can't play, I might be wrong.
Also his guitar is amazing.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
11.06.2008 - 01:07
Marksmanic
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine. And Marty Friedman, of course.
11.06.2008 - 17:37
MATBARLOW
Account deleted
Jon Schaffer-Iced Earth.Unbelievable riffs...
12.06.2008 - 06:00
JESTER576
Account deleted
Chuck Schuldiner

Ol Drake

Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher

KK Downing and Glen Tipton

Jason Becker and Marty Friedman

Mike Scaccia

Tony Iommi

Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King

Adrian Smith, Dave Murray and Janick Gers

Kenny Hickey

Olavi Mikkonen and Johan Soderberg

Karl Sanders and Dallas Toller Wade
12.06.2008 - 06:42
Deathamphetamine
Account deleted
James Hetfield in terms of rhythm and riffing work. Paul Gilbert in terms of lead work.
16.06.2008 - 23:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
among the others already said I add alex skolnick by testament, criss oliva (RIP) by savatage and eddie van halen
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.06.2008 - 12:46
Smurfophagist
Tipton and Downing impress me a lot because they have a tendency to improvise a lot and just play with the melodies on stage.
But if you want some guitarists that implement a lot of classical elements into their music, thus making it more technically challenging, and impress people with their ability to shred like rabid motherfuckers I guess I could name Alexi Laiho, John Petrucci, Michael Romeo, Steve Vai...
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
19.06.2008 - 03:51
George Lynch (Dokken)
All the guitarists in Iron maiden
Mick Mars (Motley Crue)
Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
22.06.2008 - 16:34
metald00d
Account deleted
i'd probably go with adam d. from killswitch engage. he's ridiculous! ps- check out these videos i found of him shredding... theres also an interview and some other stuff i think. it's at www.guitarmessenger.com

adios
28.08.2008 - 20:57
Nazeef
Written by Gordon Freeman on 09.05.2008 at 22:17

What defines the term 'Guitar Hero'? Some people here just seem to be naming people based on writing skill or wether or not they like the band.

A true guitar hero, in my opinion, is someone who stands out while on stage. He has to be someone who outshines the front man or is a front man in his own right. The kind of guy that plays blistering solos, wanks his guitar and throws in too many pinch harmonics then could ever be needed.

There are few in any real metal genres that fit that bill, Petrucci and Laiho stand out in my mind.

I agree with your point, but those guys are having other criteria...
I meant the guitar heroes category rooted Hendrix and so on...
All those guitar players are great, but a guitar hero must be the main figure of the work and must be more than a good musician or a clever music composer. A Guitar Hero is a landscape of virtuosity, creativity at all levels (techniques, theory, interpretation...) and transpassing the limits of the instrument, otherwise, most Metal Guitar player would be Guitar Heroes...!!
No ladies and Gentlemen!! Take Van Halen as a criterion and scan the scene again!! Thank you
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
28.08.2008 - 21:18
Nazeef
WELL!! I'll pick up this new list being conforming with the idea of guitar hero

KIKO LOREIRO
DAVE MURRAY
MICHAEL ROMEO
ALEX SKOLNICK
JASON BECKER
CHUCK SCHULDINER (an exception -a kind of tribute-)
MARTY FRIEDMAN
MUHAMMED SUIçMEZ

Notice: All of those Guitar Heroes have solo Project (except Suiçmez and Schuldiner)
----
29.08.2008 - 05:14
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I'd say Alexi Laiho (COB), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Mikael (Opeth). And maybe Gus G. (Firewind).. he may not be a hero now, but I believe he will be soon.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
29.08.2008 - 08:46
Oracle
Orcinus
I have a few that i really like...
Lanvall (Edenbridge)
Chuck Shuldiner (Death)
Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)
Christofer Johnsson (Therion)
02.09.2008 - 16:19
Nazeef
Written by Guest on 30.08.2008 at 18:46

Jeff Loomis. It saddens me to not see his name mentioned. You monsters...

Hell yeah!! that Loomis was missed in here...!
----
19.10.2008 - 19:59
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Trey Azagthoth is the one.. Also Jeff Loomis and Chuck worth a lot. R.I.P. Chuck..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.11.2008 - 11:22
Eeric
Account deleted
Check out the Finnish album. Guitar Heroes.
http://www.guitarheroes.fi/gh/index.php?catid=1&blogid=1