Metal Storm logo
Post-Rock

09.10.2007 - 23:17
Damnated
Churchburner
Post-rock is probably the classical music of our times. i never thought music can be this visual and megalomaniac at the same time. in a good way, lol. So, this thread is to ask and recommend. Next to the big names like GSYBE! and Explosions in the Sky i'd like to mention some not so known, but imo much better bands.

For start, the finnish Magyar Posse. Imagine GSYBE and 70s prog rock combined. then add some humor and some optimism. and you still have no idea about what they sound like. Their best album is Kings of Time, so that should be the first to check out.

Another good band is Boris. i bet they're not unknown in the metal world, but their post-rock side pretty much is. Flood is so good it sometimes makes the guys from GSYBE run for their money.

The 3rd amazing band is MONO. another japanese act, with a more sweeter sound. they have only one album out.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.10.2007 - 18:43
marillionfan
Account deleted
Explosions in the Sky is what i recommend for you all.
18.10.2007 - 19:01
Graveheart
This must be my favorite genre among what I've discovered recently. I started listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor albums first and then went on with some Sigur Rós and Explosions in the Sky. I owe Myspace a lot because post-rock is not huge in my local CD stores, except for Magyar Posse who are somewhat well-known here but still far from mainstream attention.

I've always admired the freedom and the lack of rules in this genre (GY!BE have said they compose their songs based firmly on what sounds good). If post-rock was chained to something like guitar solos in every song, it wouldn't be able to sound so bombastic and minimalistic at the same time. Even though I like metal, I'm not into post-metal or other combinations. It goes against all logic to say this (unless the band is called Red Sparowes, I want my packages separate)

Two words for everyone: Yndi Halda. Their "Dash and Blast" track is objectively THE most beautiful song ever created. Definitely worth changing your underwear every time you're done listening.
http://www.myspace.com/yndihalda
(whenever there are violins involved, I want to surrender)
21.10.2007 - 05:48
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Pelican; Mono. Sound kinda similar. Instrumental, relaxing, long songs.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
21.10.2007 - 19:26
Damnated
Churchburner
A more shoegazing post-rock is Sigur Ros. Their "()" is quite amazing.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.10.2007 - 08:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
You can try Red Sparowes. They're instrumental, like most post rock bands.
01.11.2007 - 22:11
Damnated
Churchburner
Red Sparrows are very good, but i only liked their first album. everything after that seemed dull and recycled.
----

14.12.2007 - 16:09
RockeRoy
Pelican is a great band!

and Isis
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
15.12.2007 - 17:32
Herzebeth
Well This is a great topic, I'm in love of Post-Rock...

Too bad here in Mexico is almost impossible to find, so I mostly download the albums and that's just sad...anyway, I was lucky enough to find albums from Explosions In The Sky and Sigur Rós in my record stores so I bought them all ehhehe...

anyway, lately I've been trying bands like 65daysofstatic and Magyar Posse actually, both great bands indeed, love their landscapes to the bone...

still my fav is Sigur Rós though...
----
17.12.2007 - 21:10
DiviniaCommedia
Account deleted
I love post-rock! The bands I've been listening the most to are Sigur Rós, Gy!be and Explosions in the Sky. The two first I mentioned I couldn't have done without, "( )" by Sigur Rós has got to be one of the best things in the history of music. EitS lack something I think. And maybe Agalloch could be mentioned here as well. They're of course some sort of metal, but there's clearly post-rockish influence behind their music.

I'll try to check out some of the bands that was mentioned here, I need more from this genre. ^^
18.12.2007 - 00:18
starlitpaw
Account deleted
i really been into post-rock lately.
18.12.2007 - 03:37
Eternal Flames
I recommend listening to Dirty Three. They're an Australian post-rock band. If you like GSYBE, I definitely think you will enjoy Dirty Three. Their older work is often described to be slightly more aggressive in comparison to their later work which is much softer, yet nevertheless still beautiful.
21.12.2007 - 00:01
DreamWeaver
Elite
Lately I've decided to forget about my regular bands and I started to search for new bands. First album that came to my hands was Isis' Panopticon. This band caught my attention, specially because of the ambient/atmospheric and mellow parts, which blended perfectly with their heavy metallic side. After a few listens I started asking myself: Is there any band or genre out there that keeps the atmospheric side of Isis and blend it with a less heavy approach. A few days later a friend of mine introduced me to exactly what I was searching for: Sigur Rós.

As for now I've discovered great bands, amongst them: Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, God Is An Astronaut, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and 65daysofstatic.
----
21.12.2007 - 00:45
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.10.2007 at 18:43

Explosions in the Sky is what i recommend for you all.

Yeah really great band they are, i love the album 'Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place', it was the one that brought me to Post-rock world...
21.12.2007 - 02:52
Damnated
Churchburner
to anyone who checked out Magyar Posse, i recommend Jaga Jazzist's What We Must album. everyone else who's just looking for new music should check this out as well.
----

28.12.2007 - 22:58
DreamWeaver
Elite
Check out God Is An Astronaut's best album called "All is Violent, All is Bright", its a masterpiece.
----
29.12.2007 - 16:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Checking that album out right now, sounds good so far.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.01.2008 - 06:35
deadset61
Account deleted
The Pax Cecilia is pretty awesome just listened to their latest album a little while ago and it was amazing.
11.01.2008 - 22:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
It's good, but not really post-rock..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.01.2008 - 19:56
Duy Hung
Account deleted
To all who like Post-Rock, check out The Severely Departed. Their song 'Closer To Home' is probably one of the best songs i've discovered recently
15.01.2008 - 22:11
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
One of my favourite genres! My favourites are Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros and GY!BE but they have already been mentioned a couple of times...
Some other stuff that I like and can recommend are Mogwai from Scottland, recognised as one of the founders of the genre - my favourite so far is their first album 'Young Team' and they've also made some really good soundtracks. A pretty obscure band that I also like is Meanwhile, Back in Communist Russia which is not really post rock à la EitS but should appeal to post rock fans, they've got a girl reading poetry as vocals. 'A Silver Mt Zion' is also highly recommended, with members from GY!BE.

Then I love Alcest and Ulver which both got releases that fits a bit under the genre, but I bet you might have heard about them already.

Looking for some full-length free samples check this site: http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=32
12.02.2008 - 18:40
Graveheart
Let me tell you, if any of you get a chance to see Magyar Posse live, there's no way you're allowed to miss it! They were touring China and Finland with Cold Fairyland (also a very good band, not post-rock but close to it) and I went to see them last friday. They even performed the last song together. I took some pictures there and I thought I should share some of the best ones with you (I'm a lousy photographer, but bear with the quality):

Obviously, I was placed in the middle of the front row for the whole evening.
12.02.2008 - 20:00
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by Spyroid on 15.01.2008 at 22:11

Mogwai from Scottland, recognised as one of the founders of the genre - my favourite so far is their first album 'Young Team' and they've also made some really good soundtracks.

I agree about the soundtracks, the soundtrack in The Fountain movie (made by Mogwai and Kronos Quartet) is pretty good and touching, it's a great blend of Post rock and classical music
13.02.2008 - 23:34
Sean3h
Account deleted
No mention of Russian Circles. One of my favourite Post-Rock groups. They fall in the grey area between Post-Rock and "Post-Metal".
14.02.2008 - 13:24
doomina
Account deleted
i'd say russian circles are definately more post-metal. but nevertheless they are great!
16.02.2008 - 11:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Anyone familiar with the french Kwoon? they play slow, shoegazing post-rock, somewhat similar to Sigur Ros. They're rather unknown, even in indie circles, i don't actually know why, because their music is fresh and good.

here's a video so you'll get an idea of their sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTysF1E4Ft0

if anyone's interested but can't find their album pm me.
----

19.02.2008 - 00:15
DreamWeaver
Elite
I just discovered a great band that should fit in the genre. They come from Australia and they've released an EP recently. They're called Meniscus. Check them out.
----
19.02.2008 - 20:53
Miro
Hava you heard of The Allstar Project ? They are post rock band from Portugal.

http://www.myspace.com/theallstarproject

I recently bought their album "Your Reward...A Bullet".Highly Recommended.
19.02.2008 - 21:56
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by Miro on 19.02.2008 at 20:53

Hava you heard of The Allstar Project ? They are post rock band from Portugal.

http://www.myspace.com/theallstarproject

I recently bought their album "Your Reward...A Bullet".Highly Recommended.

Thanks about the introduction, really good music, sounds a bit like Explosions In The Sky
21.02.2008 - 16:22
Melancholy
Account deleted
Check out Crippled Black Phoenix. It's Kind of hard to explain, but it's like experimental, alternative, post-rock. They describe their songs as 'End Time Ballads'.