10. No Beacon To Illuminate Our Fall
11. Absconder [bonus]

The Best Alternative Metal Album Of 2023

Additional info
Released via Napalm Records

Staff review by
Netzach
Rating:
I have a sort of on-off relationship to Katatonia. You know, the one where you break up for half a year and then against all odds decide to try again, and again, and again. After Dead End Kings... something happened. They lost me. And they still have.

Read more ››
published 15.01.2023 | Comments (49)

Found in 60 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 839 users
26.10.2022 - 16:56
Rating: 9
Ruisdier
Hell yes!
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
26.10.2022 - 17:02
Rating: 8
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
New Katatonia music is always a good thing.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
26.10.2022 - 17:03
Rating: 7
VileVick-Bryant
New Katatonia? nice
26.10.2022 - 21:26
Opethian
What's with their hard on for birds?
05.01.2023 - 10:27
SamuelYK
All three singles are good, especially Austerity
19.01.2023 - 11:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I tried to spin this, I still am angry that I tried to do it, I never will get into this band after Brave Murder Day ... and Dance Of the December Souls , Its a crime change sound like that.
Nevermind, album was on YouTube a short time tin the morning. Same time another tomorrows album was on YT. I always check out bands from my list few days before its out for pre stream. I google name and check out videos, same I do check bands FB for pre stream. 2 tomorrows album was out but I waist my time whit this crap, while I could listen other. Both was deleted aprixemely same time.,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.01.2023 - 07:57
Anghellic67
I've been interested in Katatonia lately but haven't fully digested it yet. I remember listening Brave Murder Day a year ago or so and it was so different than this. For me, I can't compare them, both have their moments. I think I liked City Burials too.

Vocals are great and the album cover is stunning. There is some more generic moments but not too many. Favorite songs are Birds and Author.
20.01.2023 - 08:37
MeatWolf
Don't know what Roger Öjersson been doing on City Burials but listen to his leads in Birds and Atrium, they are top notch. No wonder these two were picked as singles. Something fresh for Katatonia at last, hope for more gothic rock stuff like this on next records.
20.01.2023 - 10:03
Rating: 9
Ruisdier
Katatonia hasn't been known for changing their sound since a long time, but that's not a problem when they keep releasing quality records. Mostly a band where you go back to individual songs more rather than full albums and I'm here for it.
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
20.01.2023 - 11:12
Dylan 1974
First listen and I'm digging this way more than I thought I would.

I don't really get the 'alternative rock' tag. This is more gothic / progressive rock/metal, not alternative.
20.01.2023 - 13:10
SamuelYK
Like this one better than Fall of hearts & City Burials, very listenable and easily digestible with still enough twists and turns to make it interesting even after a couple of listens
20.01.2023 - 20:26
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
It's no tFoH, tGCD, or VE...but it's quite good. Not very memorable, hence the rating...but we shall see in time.
21.01.2023 - 00:05
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
This band has an impressive melancholic sound quality unique to any other band, but I've always felt like the band has been missing something, so many decent albums but nothing groundbreaking I find this release is no exception. It has a decent sound and structure and all the usual qualities but I'm not feeling it in terms of songwriting or memorability.

Dance Of December Souls is still my favorite release by this band.
21.01.2023 - 03:13
VileVick-Bryant
Written by Anghellic67 on 20.01.2023 at 07:57

I've been interested in Katatonia lately but haven't fully digested it yet. I remember listening Brave Murder Day a year ago or so and it was so different than this. For me, I can't compare them, both have their moments. I think I liked City Burials too.

Vocals are great and the album cover is stunning. There is some more generic moments but not too many. Favorite songs are Birds and Author.

I think their best Alternative rock era was Discouraged Ones to The Great Cold Distance. Other stuff was ok. First two albums are pretty good. But their alternative era had some great moments like We Must Bury you. Short but great song and one of my favs.
21.01.2023 - 08:51
Anghellic67
Written by VileVick-Bryant on 21.01.2023 at 03:13

I think their best Alternative rock era was Discouraged Ones to The Great Cold Distance. Other stuff was ok. First two albums are pretty good. But their alternative era had some great moments like We Must Bury you. Short but great song and one of my favs.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll put those albums to my playlist
21.01.2023 - 13:17
Rating: 6
Jeeers
Finally they have done it!
The most forgettable Katatonia album to date. Feels like whole album is one long and boring song. Well maybe Atrium is an exeption, but a also a weak one.
Performance is solid, but there is nothing memorable in this one.
21.01.2023 - 14:49
Rating: 10
Duck Dodgers
For me this is their best album since Night is the New Day. Love Impermanence, Sclera and Opaline.
22.01.2023 - 07:08
A good album, no doubt. But, I felt like having listened to it many other times before. There's nothing in it that Katatonia hasn't explored in their previous efforts, especially when you compare it to Fall of Hearts. I think it definitely is time for these guys to make another shift in their aim. City Burials got the best from this approach, I don't think this record added any novelty to it.
22.01.2023 - 19:27
mikeprado30
Sadly not my cup of tea. But great for the people enjoying it.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
23.01.2023 - 00:07
terroriser
In terms of Katatonia everything after Great Cold Distance should be erased. This album is only just ok but I do not expect they will ever reach their past heights
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
23.01.2023 - 01:44
3dd
Sclera and Atrium are amazing.

At 2:35 of the track Atrium gave me the chills, pure nostalgia of the old Katatonia, pity it's too short, though.

I agree that it's not impressive as the old days, but this release is not forgettable as the last albums.
23.01.2023 - 09:31
terroriser

Written by Anghellic67 on 20.01.2023 at 07:57

I am absolutely amazed.

If GCD is alt rock, the Tomb of Mutilated is sythpop and Pink Floyd are/were grind core band
----
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4i2hn2aUeKBtxzw8UN2EML?si=_gXZwweyShiek4Dmk5UzpA
23.01.2023 - 10:25
VileVick-Bryant
Written by terroriser on 23.01.2023 at 09:31

I am absolutely amazed.

If GCD is alt rock, the Tomb of Mutilated is sythpop and Pink Floyd are/were grind core band

Alt rock, Alt metal, Hard rock, Doom Rock, Doom metal, whatever you want to call it it's still a pretty good era for them.
23.01.2023 - 14:33
Samot
I Liked City Burials really more than this one .....
----
Um, Dois, Três, Quatro! Yeah! PORRA!!!
24.01.2023 - 16:53
Ivy Patterns
Austerity, Colossal Shade, Opaline, Author, and Atrium are outstanding tracks. Perhaps it will grow over time, but I'd still rank City Burials slightly higher.
24.01.2023 - 20:27
Don't know if it's because of Coldplay or not, but the album name keeps popping up as "A Void Full of Stars" in my head.
27.01.2023 - 02:22
Jaro
Written by terroriser on 23.01.2023 at 00:07

In terms of Katatonia everything after Great Cold Distance should be erased. This album is only just ok but I do not expect they will ever reach their past heights

I would just erase this comment instead xD
The Fall of Hearts is one of my favorites from them.
27.01.2023 - 08:49
Bjamm
The mix is superb!
31.01.2023 - 11:58
Rating: 6
pdepmcp
Written by terroriser on 23.01.2023 at 00:07

Couldn't agree more.
But GCD already has the seeds of what was to come, even if it contained some amazing songs.
With the benefit of hindsight it was just there to see
04.02.2023 - 17:22
sogrom
Pretty disappointing to be honest, it's like way inferior version of Fall of hearts.

Hits total: 13782 | This month: 44