Metal Storm logo
Insomnium - Drop New Song, Feat. Sakis Tolis

Finnish veterans Insomnium have released a brand new video for the song "White Christ", which is taken from their upcoming album Anno 1696, due out February 23. The song features guest performance by Sakis Tolis of Rotting Christ. The accompanying video clip handled by Riivata Visuals.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Insomnium
Posted: 14.12.2022 by Nejde

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 17   Visited by: 255 users
14.12.2022 - 21:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I might be weird but at this time to me seems it's their best, good melodic riffs, good harshly vocal duet
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.12.2022 - 22:44
nonZero
Doesn't live up to Insomnium's standard IMO. A bit disappointing. Tolis sounds pretty bad on this.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
15.12.2022 - 00:02
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by nonZero on 14.12.2022 at 22:44

Doesn't live up to Insomnium's standard IMO. A bit disappointing.

Yeah, I would agree, it's a bit mediocre even. They clearly wanted to do something different but the song just doesn't really go anywhere.
15.12.2022 - 00:36
24emd
Theory Snob
I barely listened to their last album, but does Jani ever get to sing? He has a great voice, it would be so good to hear it here.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
15.12.2022 - 01:25
Nejde
CommunityManager
Their statement on Facebook about the song:
"Niilo Sevänen reveals the lyrics delve into the mindset of the story’s protagonist and religious fervor in general, so it had to be one of the heaviest on ‘𝗔𝗻𝗻𝗼 𝟭𝟲𝟵𝟲.’ Inviting Sakis onto the track was no coincidence, as Markus Vanhala was inspired by Rotting Christ while writing a song he called “𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘺𝘱𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘤.” Ville Friman adds that it’s not just heavy but also catchy, resulting in a new type of song not heard before from Insomnium."

I will always respect a band that wants to broaden their sound and try something new. They're 20 years into their music career and there is nothing worse than to keep releasing the same sounding album over and over like Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch or Volbeat for example. With that said it's definitely not the best song they've written but I like it.
15.12.2022 - 04:29
Fred_P
Quite liked the first single. This one, not so much.
15.12.2022 - 08:06
BCI

Tolis sounds pretty bad on this.

That's normal for him though. He's always sounded bad to me. I think it's because of his horrible English accent... English isn't my first language, but it's a big problem for me with many bands from non-english speaking countries. They make a lot of mistakes that throw me off. Even big bands like Leprous are riddled with mispronounced words.
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
15.12.2022 - 10:11
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Nejde on 15.12.2022 at 01:25

"Niilo Sevänen reveals the lyrics delve into the mindset of the story’s protagonist and religious fervor in general,"

Weird, since this song is not from the POV of the protagonist anyway. More like the antagonist.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
15.12.2022 - 11:55
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by RaduP on 15.12.2022 at 10:11

Written by Nejde on 15.12.2022 at 01:25

"Niilo Sevänen reveals the lyrics delve into the mindset of the story’s protagonist and religious fervor in general,"

Weird, since this song is not from the POV of the protagonist anyway. More like the antagonist.

Now that you mention it, that actually seems to be the case. That is weird.
15.12.2022 - 15:38
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by 24emd on 15.12.2022 at 00:36

I barely listened to their last album, but does Jani ever get to sing? He has a great voice, it would be so good to hear it here.

I hope he doesn't get a single vocal line in this album, I think he totally destroys their soundscape with his over the top power metal vocals..
16.12.2022 - 09:23
EricAxel36
Unfortunately, pretty boring song. Tolis' accent is off-putting as well.
16.12.2022 - 10:56
Dinruth
Written by BCI on 15.12.2022 at 08:06

Tolis sounds pretty bad on this.

That's normal for him though. He's always sounded bad to me. I think it's because of his horrible English accent... English isn't my first language, but it's a big problem for me with many bands from non-english speaking countries. They make a lot of mistakes that throw me off. Even big bands like Leprous are riddled with mispronounced words.

For se king for se land for se mouuuuunteins
19.12.2022 - 07:13
Dylan 1974
What is all this crap about accents? Metal and rock music is international. Not everyone is from the UK or US.

Should I stop listening to Helloween, Kreator, Rotting Christ or Insomnium because they have accents? That would be fucking weird.
19.12.2022 - 08:49
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
May not be the most original song out there, but it is different from what Insomnium usually does. Their two singles is very promising IMO and can't wait until the full album!
22.12.2022 - 09:35
Ball Fondlers
Written by Dylan 1974 on 19.12.2022 at 07:13

What is all this crap about accents? Metal and rock music is international. Not everyone is from the UK or US.

Should I stop listening to Helloween, Kreator, Rotting Christ or Insomnium because they have accents? That would be fucking weird.

It's HIS accent that is off putting and he mispronounces many words. You can't say that about Helloween, Kreator or Insomnium. 3 very different singing styles there btw, and the cleaner the vocals the harder it is to get away with. Helloween has no accent at all to me, I'm probably more put off my US and british accents

Saying all that I like Rotting Christ anyway
23.12.2022 - 16:49
Fabiano
Written by Dylan 1974 on 19.12.2022 at 07:13

I don't get all the hate on Sakis accent, too. I like it. I've never seen anyone complaining over his accent on a RC record or even on his solo project where he often uses clean vocals
24.12.2022 - 01:34
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Good thing Sakis didn't write the lyrics or they'd go "fire / higher / desire / empire". I don't mind his accent though, it has its charm.

Hits total: 2674 | This month: 13