Metal Storm logo
Chuck Schuldiner VS Dave Mustaine

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 15.10.2007 - 21:51
In a conversation with a friend who used to be obsessed with Megadeth, he was saying how Chuck could kick Dave's ass in a guitar battle. I have heard both their work, I honestly think that both are capable of playing eachothers work within their skill levels.

Poll

Who is more skillful at the guitar back before Chuck died?

Chuck Schuldiner
Dave Mustaine

Total votes: 299
21.02.2008 - 17:09
Tencho
Written by Lord TJ on 19.02.2008 at 21:03

Written by Tencho on 19.02.2008 at 20:15

Chuck, a great loss for the humanity... I surprise you.
Dave is a great guitarist, but I choose chuck

So....you choose Chuck because he died or what?

Not because he died, but because he was better
26.02.2008 - 14:03
NOИ
Chuck Schuldiner. you cant compare him with Dave in any way.
11.03.2008 - 16:17
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Dave Mustaine.. People would only go with Chuck just because he's a dead man. I hate Chuck and Death
12.03.2008 - 03:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 16:17

Dave Mustaine.. People would only go with Chuck just because he's a dead man. I hate Chuck and Death

Agreed. And so Chuck tends to have more depressing riffs than Dave, suddenly hes got more "emotion" or "passion" in his playing, its kind of ridiculous to question someones passion behind the music, a very subjective thing, which no 16 year old with entry level musicianship can measure.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.03.2008 - 03:54
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 12.03.2008 at 03:36

Agreed. And so Chuck tends to have more depressing riffs than Dave, suddenly hes got more "emotion" or "passion" in his playing, its kind of ridiculous to question someones passion behind the music, a very subjective thing, which no 16 year old with entry level musicianship can measure.

I know what you mean.. Chuck and Death are seriously overrated in todays Metal Community. His riffs are nothing spectacular, and I find his lead just plain shit.. Dave puts more of an intense feel into his lead and rhythm than Chuck ever did..
19.03.2008 - 15:26
Chuck Schuldiner is one of the best guitarist in history...great guy,great music...simply one of the best

R.I.P
Chuck Schuldiner
----
No-one is closer to the Devil than me
27.03.2008 - 22:23
I think Chuck had more skills when it comes to guitar playing. he had more interesting solos and more technical songs.
Oh, and Chucks music stayed metal 'till death
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner
27.03.2008 - 22:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Rituale_Satanum on 19.03.2008 at 15:26

R.I.P
Chuck Schuldiner

Written by Christophe_PL on 27.03.2008 at 22:23

Oh, and Chucks music stayed metal 'till death
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

People would only go with Chuck just because he's a dead man.

Point proven.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.03.2008 - 23:24
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
What's all this hate on Chuck ?
People don't vote for him because he's a dead man, that's just ridiculous. He's actually a talented guitarist and has his own style of playing, and I'm sorry to say but his leads aren't shit at all, i don't know where that crap came from, i find them very inspired and unique. I agree that it isn't because Chuck's riffs are more melodic or depressive that he has more passion. Although there's no disrespect that's due to this musician, he has his style of playing, he was talented and made good music. Mustaine is a good guitarist also, but i prefer Chuck because of his PLAYING, not his DEATH.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
28.03.2008 - 23:10
DevilishSong

can you tell me why u hate chuck and death ? because so many people like he and his band ?
you can dislike anything or anyone , it isnt necessary to hate that.
GL

Devil Like You
28.03.2008 - 23:14
DevilishSong

Do you think if you died , people have been voted for you in this battle
01.04.2008 - 16:35
Lord TJ
Theres an edit button for your posts so you wont have to double post incase you didn't know.

And for those who didn't know, Chuck was still pretty popular in the metal scene way before his death. So yea sure hes dead and thats obviously going to raise his title in the metal scene, but keep in mind theres also many other guitarists that have died and were good but dont hold such a name. People have fame for a reason.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
01.04.2008 - 20:05
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Lord TJ on 01.04.2008 at 16:35

Theres an edit button for your posts so you wont have to double post incase you didn't know.

And for those who didn't know, Chuck was still pretty popular in the metal scene way before his death. So yea sure hes dead and thats obviously going to raise his title in the metal scene, but keep in mind theres also many other guitarists that have died and were good but dont hold such a name. People have fame for a reason.

Of course, if he wasnt good in what he was doing, he wouldnt be known in the firs place. But that is common thing, that when some influential person dies in such way (young, in accident, assasination) or whatever, that he rises in the eyes of people more or less, and its pretty logical that people talk mostly good side of the dead. But generaly, as long one is objective and know stuff about he is talking, theres no need to take this as a bad side.
----
02.04.2008 - 02:36
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Ah shit, I worship them equally, both are men respected beyond sight for me, so I can't really pick. I mean, both pioneered their perspective genres, both are unique in their playing style, both are unique in their vocal style, and they both were entrepenuers and figureheads of their perspective bands. But I'm okay with not voting for this, I still got love for em both.

----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
02.04.2008 - 03:00
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
One is great because is alive... One is worshiped because is dead... I'm not voting for this one!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
02.04.2008 - 06:15
totaliteraliter
I thought the question was going to be "who is/was the bigger asshole." I'd say they were about on the same level for guitar skill.
21.05.2008 - 23:07
vatro
Account deleted
I think Chuck is better but Dave is also good
22.05.2008 - 04:39
Ferret
Account deleted
I honestly can't pick. Both extremely talented musicians. I do like Death better as a band, but in terms of guitar work, I can't decide.
22.05.2008 - 22:16
immaculate
Account deleted
Chuck hands down dave mustaine is good but chuck has a sound which no one can compare to....ever.
R.I.P chuck
23.05.2008 - 00:29
Ka Tet
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.04.2008 at 02:36

Ah shit, I worship them equally, both are men respected beyond sight for me, so I can't really pick. I mean, both pioneered their perspective genres, both are unique in their playing style, both are unique in their vocal style, and they both were entrepenuers and figureheads of their perspective bands. But I'm okay with not voting for this, I still got love for em both.

This pretty much sums how I feel about them both. Although I did vote for Chuck, in the end it came down to who was more influential in my musical tastes, and that was Death. I don't think I ever would have really gotten into death metal if not for Individual Thought Patterns & Symbolic.
24.05.2008 - 11:28
vatro
Account deleted
Written by Ka Tet on 23.05.2008 at 00:29

This pretty much sums how I feel about them both. Although I did vote for Chuck, in the end it came down to who was more influential in my musical tastes, and that was Death. I don't think I ever would have really gotten into death metal if not for Individual Thought Patterns & Symbolic.

I agree with you about death but don't you think that better player is more influencal
25.05.2008 - 23:08
Ka Tet
Written by Guest on 24.05.2008 at 11:28

Written by Ka Tet on 23.05.2008 at 00:29

I agree with you about death but don't you think that better player is more influencal

Well, when it comes down to it I think the "better player" is rather subjective. Death influenced my tastes in music and how I approach the guitar more than Megadeth did therefore I see Chuck as more influential. I think they are both great guitar players/songwriters/musicians, but I think a part of Dave Mustaine's popularity comes down to being more accessible as well.
29.05.2008 - 05:12
Haightredy
It mostly depends on if you're talking influence, speed, or actual skill. I said Chuck because he had a lot more influence, sure Dave was more popular, but Chuck did start one of the first death metal bands (I'm not saying that Death invented Death Metal, I'm just saying they're one of the first to do it). And yeah, I also believe Chuck is a more skilled guitarist.
31.05.2008 - 20:36
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
It's a tough choice since both play some great solos, which is a big thing for me, but I think Chuck was more creative musically on the whole.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
02.07.2008 - 06:32
Bonfire
Account deleted
yeah chuck is died but anyhow it can't change my mind...dave is a better guitarist..everyone knows..
02.07.2008 - 08:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 02.07.2008 at 06:32

dave is a better guitarist..everyone knows..

According to this poll, it seems like only 36 out of 85 know it. The other 49 know something quite the opposite.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
02.07.2008 - 09:25
Hamird
Lieutenant
It's hard to chose, as both of them are Extreme metal guitarists (Dave in thrash metal, and Chuck in Death metal) and of course they work well in their own music. but personally I'll chose Chuck Schuldiner because he is more powerful than Dave, maybe if Death wouldn't release "Sound of Perseverance" I couldn't say that Chuck is better than Dave, but after listening to that album I' became a huge fan of Chuck's guitar playing.
02.07.2008 - 19:06
-Soulreaper-
Had to go with Chuck just because he is a more powerful guitar player. I picked up a guitar and learned because of Chuck's music. I just wanted to learn some of his songs and his technique for playing and once I had it down for the most part my respect just went up for him. Dont get me wrong, Dave is a great guitar player and everything its just that his guitar playing never stood out for me as much as Chuck's.
02.07.2008 - 19:21
Demonmayonnaise
I think Chuck is better, but not by much. All these dead musicians... they must have an amazing band in Hell...
02.07.2008 - 19:53
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 02.07.2008 at 19:21

I think Chuck is better, but not by much. All these dead musicians... they must have an amazing band in Hell...

I do think so! because as Damnated said they haven't so much time to make a bad name for themselves!