Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Joins Pinkpop Line-up

Bay Area metal legends Metallica will close the first day of Pinkpop Festival, the world's longest running outdoor festival, set to take place from May 30th to June 1st in Landgraaf, The Netherlands. They will play a 2 hour set, one of the longest sets ever allowed at the Pinkpop Festival. Metallica will share the stage with notable bands like Rage Against The Machine, Foo Fighters, and many others.

Source: metronieuws.nl
Band profile: Metallica
Event: Pinkpop Festival
Posted: 17.12.2007 by Asitis

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   Visited by: 13 users
17.12.2007 - 13:43
FrostbittenIlham
Account deleted
Maybe some people should wonder why a "metal band" plays on the same stage as Korn, Within Temptation and Stone Sour, in a festival called "PinkPOP"...
17.12.2007 - 13:48
FOOCK Nam
Lol, indeed the festival name is weird
17.12.2007 - 13:49
Opium
Account deleted
Ah well, they can only get worse

EDIT: Hooray for RATM, anyone able to go, go see this for them and them only!
17.12.2007 - 13:55
Deadsoulman
Elite
Well, Graspop has "pop" in the name as well, and yet nobody's complaining...

Seriously, what's the problem here exactly? Metal bands should only play in metal festivals? Metal bands often play in festivals such as Dour, Rockwerchter and stuff. Since Metallica appeals to people outside metal's little sphere, it is not surprising they should headline such an event.
17.12.2007 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=18405] on 17.12.2007 at 13:43

Maybe some people should wonder why a "metal band" plays on the same stage as Korn, Within Temptation and Stone Sour, in a festival called "PinkPOP"...

Pinkpop has always had a mixed line-up (just like Torhout/Werchter, Roskilde) every year they have metal bands on their stages as well. IMO it is a good thing to offer a wide variety of music for an open air festival such as this.

@whoever wondered about the name Pinkpop is a contraction of the words Pinksteren (Dutch for Pentecost/Whitsun, this year being the first eyar the festival isn't programmed during Pentecost/Whitsun) and Pop (as in popular music, which metal is part of as well)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2007 - 13:56
matthioso
mm, if they don't come to a belgian festival I might go and see them at Pinkpop...
----
www.seedofrock.be
17.12.2007 - 14:26
Opium
Account deleted
@ Marcel: Thanks for the fill-in, but will you go to this?
17.12.2007 - 14:49
Asitis
I was at Pinkpop last year, and the most "metal" then were Stone Sour and Marlyn Manson (which I missed, thank god).
That edition, the lineup was more emo like, putting a metalband like Metallica on the bill causes a different public (though, last year, there where MANY people with W:O:A bags and shirts)
----
The silent moment, right before the dusk fades away
I open my eyes, but the darkness stays
17.12.2007 - 14:55
Carrion
Account deleted
Damn I wish I could be there, just for Rage Against The Machine! But.. Pinkpop?
17.12.2007 - 15:02
Varegan
Hamranakara
foolish pop rock for little pink chicks!!!!! its not metal any more its just for POPs not metalheads
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
17.12.2007 - 16:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
Well they are one of the best live bands IMO.
----
17.12.2007 - 16:46
FrostbittenIlham
Account deleted
Yeah ok, no one got what I meant, always pleasant to see. The problem is not the festival's name or anything, but Metallica, the band, going towards... that other audience they gained these last years.
17.12.2007 - 17:09
Inlé
"Pop (as in popular music, which metal is part of as well)"

More people need to realise this. Metallica have been a pop band since the black album. As they've been POPular.

Pop is not a genre.
17.12.2007 - 17:42
Lady Bathory
Written by Inlé on 17.12.2007 at 17:09

"Pop (as in popular music, which metal is part of as well)"

More people need to realise this. Metallica have been a pop band since the black album. As they've been POPular.

Pop is not a genre.

I loved reading this. Your response is so appropriate to your name. As much as I despise the idea of fields of emo kids, you are right in the respect that people need to expand past their bubbles. What I would like to add to your comment is that 'POP' music HAS been given a kind of genre. Why do you think people responded the way that they did? It sounded as if Metallica would be playing with the Backstreet boys. Though I understand Metallica playing a show like this because they have never remained exclusive to the metal scene. People who listen to *shudders* Nickelback listen to Metallica, and people who listen to Slayer listen to Metallica... an interesting topic nevertheless:necro:
17.12.2007 - 17:48
Justice
oh
not good for a bay area metal legend
metallica is greater than this festival
17.12.2007 - 17:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol just when i thought metallica reached a new low... hell of a name for a festival though
17.12.2007 - 18:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
try to persuade me, Metallica is playing metal...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.12.2007 - 20:17
un4givendemon
ugh rage against the machine SUCKS!
17.12.2007 - 21:52
DoomGuard
well i guess this is just one more gay thing Metallica can add to their list...
17.12.2007 - 22:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I really dont get the association with gay. But anyway... Why everything not male-associated/must be called gay.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.12.2007 - 23:25
Smurfophagist
RATM kicks ass, cut the crap.
@BloodTears that has something to do with their own latent homosexuality
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
17.12.2007 - 23:33
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I don't quite understand why everyone condemns Metallica for playing at a rock festival? At least rock festivals like Pinkpop, Roskilde and Rock am Ring have the money to book them. Even Wacken refused to book Manowar as they were too expensive, what do you think what Metallica would cost then? Why don't you just stop bashing the band and are thankful as such festivals might just be your only chance to see the band in your country next year?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
18.12.2007 - 00:42
Jiri
Figures....
18.12.2007 - 00:44
Opium
Account deleted
Written by un4givendemon on 17.12.2007 at 20:17

ugh rage against the machine SUCKS!

Can you please justify why they suck? Otherwise I'll just have to dismiss your post.
18.12.2007 - 03:00
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
All right RATM will be there, awsome
----
Coldgrits
18.12.2007 - 04:01
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
pinkpop? what a strange name for a festival...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
18.12.2007 - 08:08
Asitis
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 18.12.2007 at 04:01

What's so fuckin funny about the name?!
Let me tell you something, as stated above, in theory there are only 2 kinds of genres; classical music, and pop. Metal isn't classical music, thus pop.
Also, Pinkpop is the longest going open air festival, in the world. It started out as some stupid hippie picknick party, for some college friends, it's called "pink" pop because it is held at "pinksteren" (Dutch voor Pentecost), and it's called "pop" because it always has a really big line up, from disco music like Scissor Sisters to metal, gothic and everything in between.
WHY
oh
WHY are you metalheads all so fuckin closeminded "oeh! A metalband playing at a "pop" festival?! Boohoo!!". Damn! I've been to Pinkpop, yeah, there wasn't many great metal, so fucking what?! It's not like there is nothing more then metal! The "pop"rock/jazz/punk/songwriter bands where better then most obscure little fucked up metalband nowadays.

The musical spectrum holds more then just metal guys, come on! Just that it doesn't have screeching guitars and screaming fattys with painted faces doesn't mean it can't be good! I am a metalhead, I love hearing painted fat guys screaming in a microphone, but I do as much enjoy "stupid" music like Maria Mena, Wolfmother, Scissor Sisters, hell, I even saw Dave Matthews Band on Pinkpop, AND I FUCKIN ENJOYED IT!

(@BurbotsRevenge; not all directed at you, nothing personal )
----
18.12.2007 - 11:02
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Asitis on 18.12.2007 at 08:08

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 18.12.2007 at 04:01

Let me tell you something, as stated above, in theory there are only 2 kinds of genres; classical music, and pop. Metal isn't classical music, thus pop.
Also, Pinkpop is the longest going open air festival, in the world. It started out as some stupid hippie picknick party, for some college friends, it's called "pink" pop because it is held at "pinksteren" (Dutch voor Pentecost), and it's called "pop" because it always has a really big line up, from disco music like Scissor Sisters to metal, gothic and everything in between.
WHY
oh
WHY are you metalheads all so fuckin closeminded "oeh! A metalband playing at a "pop" festival?! Boohoo!!". Damn! I've been to Pinkpop, yeah, there wasn't many great metal, so fucking what?! It's not like there is nothing more then metal! The "pop"rock/jazz/punk/songwriter bands where better then most obscure little fucked up metalband nowadays.

The musical spectrum holds more then just metal guys, come on! Just that it doesn't have screeching guitars and screaming fattys with painted faces doesn't mean it can't be good! I am a metalhead, I love hearing painted fat guys screaming in a microphone, but I do as much enjoy "stupid" music like Maria Mena, Wolfmother, Scissor Sisters, hell, I even saw Dave Matthews Band on Pinkpop, AND I FUCKIN ENJOYED IT!

(@BurbotsRevenge; not all directed at you, nothing personal )

thats a very harsh response i understand what ur saying, im just saying its a strange name... thats all, i wouldnt have said if i knew u were going to respond like that
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
18.12.2007 - 12:55
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Asitis on 18.12.2007 at 08:08

WHY
oh

Ok, I just wanted to quote your post since, although I wouldn't have phrased it the way you did, this more or less sums up my thoughts on the subject I currently find myself increasingly annoyed by the moronness of a lot of metalheads when it comes to music other than metal. It often looks like a lot of people here consider that only them can appreciate music, only them have the right to listen to metal, and anything beside metal is worthless crap. Well, bad news, it doesn't work like that. Stick your head out of your ass and see the light...

Ah, whatever, this fight is already lost anyway.
18.12.2007 - 13:22
Asitis
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 18.12.2007 at 11:02

thats a very harsh response i understand what ur saying, im just saying its a strange name... thats all, i wouldnt have said if i knew u were going to respond like that

As I said, nothing personal It just came to me as I was typing it out. No offence.
----

Hits total: 4836 | This month: 3