Metal Storm logo
Satanism

24.08.2006 - 16:14
Sunioj
Satanism, from contemporary individualism to the sub categories of MLO and left hand path...
Plain and simple, what do you all think about it?

Im curious to hear people share thoughts and ideas of this philosophy and let me start by saying that contemporary Satanism is very interesting since it focuses on building oneself spiritually.

Lets take an example like Jon Nodveidt's recent decision to end his life....
He killed himself and his band claims it was a ritual suicide, does this make his form of Satanism a religion because it has rituals or is MLO another form of interpreting Satanism?
25.08.2006 - 00:51
Damnated
Churchburner
The 'ritual' was a circle of candles, and a bullet in the head.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.08.2006 - 13:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
very spiritual indeed
i do not agree with satanism,in terms that anyone can be his/her god in life.that gives way to egocentrism,and mass egocentrism is worse than any natural disaster.
also,i agree with atheism,a "religion" i find myself in,but satanism....meh why are all the pentagrams associated with satanists when pentagrams are from magic?
25.08.2006 - 16:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Valentin B on 25.08.2006 at 13:46

also,i agree with atheism,a "religion" i find myself in,but satanism....meh why are all the pentagrams associated with satanists when pentagrams are from magic?

The upside down pentagram was used by the satanist , for the first time, not so long ago (don't know the date right, but it was in the 20th century). For them the pentagram represents the head of the devil: the two horns on top, two ears on the side, and the beard pointing down. Or the 5 rivers of Hades. It also has a Christian meaning, something to do with healing or so. IMO the pentagram lost all it's other values when Motley Crue used it on their album covers.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.08.2006 - 18:03
FOOCK Nam
That pentagram also represents the head of SATAN, the head of goat
25.08.2006 - 18:38
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Although I don't know very about satanism, I don't agree with it, I don't think it's necesary to believe in devil.
But what I see interesting is the fact that contemporany satanism focuses on building oneself spirituality, and that's what I try to do, but I wouldn't do it in satanism

Cursed said: "i do not agree with satanism,in terms that anyone can be his/her god in life.that gives way to egocentrism,and mass egocentrism is worse than any natural disaster." I think that searching the god inside everyone won't make egocentrism, if everyone thinks in others too, not only in him/herself, because we're are a huge group of persons and we must don't forget that
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
25.08.2006 - 19:12
_HIV_
what a bounch of bullshit! satanism is like every other shit ... christianity, ortodox religion, jews, islam ...
it's just limiting man

now you'll say ... satanism is about freedom .. satan represents freedom
well i aint no doctor ... but beeing free is making your own choices

thats waht people do every day ... christians , jews, etc. does that make them satanists? ...

bahh .. this topic stinks

lateeeeeer
25.08.2006 - 19:14
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by The Alchemist on 25.08.2006 at 18:38

Although I don't know very about satanism, I don't agree with it, I don't think it's necesary to believe in devil.

Christians also know of Satan, they believe in the concept of an entity of evil.

And just for the record, let's clear this whole satanism thing, as ppl here confuse things. The are different forms of satanism:

LaVeyan satanism Satan is a symbol, nothing more [LaVey]. This type of satanism is nothing more then a philosophy, it does not worship Satan, it doesn't worsip anything. The god here is the satanist if you like. Lavey sais, that worshiping a deity is a sign of intellectual weakness.

Luciferianism on some level similar to what LaVey created, only that they believe Lucifer is the light and the ultimate wisdom. They also don't worship Satan, but the 'divinity in themselfs' . Luciferianism is something more then occultism.

Theistic satanism is the religion that consideres Satan to be an entity. It is also called Devil worship - the religios worship of Satan. They reject that worshiping Satan is a sign of intellectual weakness. Some sects doesn't believe in the biblical Satan, but in another, present in the sumerian mythology. Some worship devils etc.
More info here

EDIT after a long discussion with a traditional (theistic) satansit, I found out, that theistic satanism is devil worship. Still, this is not Satanism, wich is this topic about. What we call satanism now is what LaVey created.

So there you have it. Be shure to check out Wikipedia for more.
----

25.08.2006 - 19:28
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Damnated on 25.08.2006 at 19:14

Christians also know of Satan, they believe in the concept of an entity of evil.

And just for the record, let's clear this whole satanism thing, as ppl here confuse things. The are different forms of satanism:

LaVeyan satanism Satan is a symbol, nothing more [LaVey]. This type of satanism is nothing more then a philosophy, it does not worship Satan, it doesn't worsip anything. The god here is the satanist if you like. Lavey sais, that worshiping a deity is a sign of intellectual weakness.

Luciferianism on some level similar to what LaVey created, only that they believe Lucifer is the light and the ultimate wisdom. They also don't worship Satan, but the 'divinity in themselfs' . Luciferianism is something more then occultism.

Theistic satanism is the religion that consideres Satan to be an entity. Interesting thing about them is that they consider Satan not as an evil entity, but a good one. The Serpent from the Bible is one of the forms of Satan, a dark divinity.

Devil worship is the religios worship of Satan. They reject that worshiping Satan is a sign of intellectual weakness. Some sects doesn't believe in the biblical Satan, but in another, present in the sumerian mythology. Some worship devils etc.

Ok, thank you for the information, I always had the stereotypical idea of satanism
----

Sensorium - Epica
25.08.2006 - 19:33
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by _HIV_ on 25.08.2006 at 19:12

what a bounch of bullshit! satanism is like every other shit ... christianity, ortodox religion, jews, islam ...
it's just limiting man

now you'll say ... satanism is about freedom .. satan represents freedom
well i aint no doctor ... but beeing free is making your own choices

thats waht people do every day ... christians , jews, etc. does that make them satanists? ...

bahh .. this topic stinks

lateeeeeer

I agree with you, being free is making your own choices and most of the religions doesn't make you free
But you should be more respectful here
----

Sensorium - Epica
25.08.2006 - 20:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by The Alchemist on 25.08.2006 at 19:28

Ok, thank you for the information, I always had the stereotypical idea of satanism

Yes, it's the media's fault, as every time there's a gruoesome murder, you hear that satanists did it, or in the name of Satan etc. It is a very bad thing though.
----

26.08.2006 - 05:17
danzig111
Account deleted

'more than occultism' yet they believe in the divinity in themselves....um i don't get it.

and i personally believe in my inner light/spirit, i am not to do with Satanism.....I consider myself Agnostic.
26.08.2006 - 10:03
FOOCK Nam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism
26.08.2006 - 16:20
Alouqua
Account deleted
Ok so let me say something:
In my point of view there are like two kinds of Satanist... OK, there are the true satanist (whatever their philosophy is) and well, there are also the 'bad guys' which are, IMO, the ones that make Satanism so... unbreathable?
There are some people who READ and know what the hell is satasim, not only LaVey (which in some point is like a whore), but also another people... As Aleister Crowley, Eliphas Levi (for those who ask about the pentagram), even if they don't share their opinions with every kind of satanism is important to know that this is something real, and serious... those are for me the real satanist

But there are also this people who, most of the time, hear black metal (and that makes me angry, because I respect Black Metal) and they are the bad guys and they believe in Satan an they are Satan... HELL YEAH!!!
that's the kind of people I hate. They don't know a shit... most of the times...

So now what I think about satanism... Well anyone can believe in what they want and if they respect other people and themselves is Ok with me. I don't think they are ridiculous or something like that. Those are their believes and need to be respect in the same way we respect Christianity or any other religion.
About Satanism as a philosophy, they have all my respect. why not?

(i'm not good with english, I hope you understand me)
26.08.2006 - 16:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

Theistic satanism is the religion that consideres Satan to be an entity. It is also called Devil worship - the religios worship of Satan. They reject that worshiping Satan is a sign of intellectual weakness. Some sects doesn't believe in the biblical Satan, but in another, present in the sumerian mythology. Some worship devils etc.
More info here

EDIT after a long discussion with a traditional (theistic) satansit, I found out, that theistic satanism is devil worship. Still, this is not Satanism, wich is this topic about. What we call satanism now is what LaVey created.

Very good post. Explains it well.

I'd like to discuss LaVey's Satanism, this is an interesting form of Satanism. I don't really care to talk about slaughtering lambs.

Anyway, Satanism is about finding oneself and pleasure the lust. This is very similar to Hedonism, which is also about enjoying your time.. So am I right when I call Satanism a sort of 'extended hedonism'?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.08.2006 - 17:23
FOOCK Nam
Well I dont know much about Satanism for really. I just read some statements which are in Satanic Bible, and Im not sure those are from La vey ( I read it in my mother language translated by our metal community in my country). And something I know about Satanism that it is devil worshiping. And exactly in my opinion, Satanism make the spirit of its followers stronger. Satanism denies the abstinece and accept the indulgence etc. Anywayz people in the world just really act like satanist, they just love themself or they know that religion Christian wrong. My lecturer taught that Christian religion gave people 3 ways to stay in after death: heaven, hell, and a place I dont remember, she said that no one was totally evil or totally angel to be threw in hell or heaven. So people know that most commo religion such as christianity is not right as whole.And there also have many people dont believe in god like Satanism denies religion, especially anti-christian. Satanism exists availably in real life in not only evil people but also normal people.
26.08.2006 - 17:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
If you are a satanist, do you have to be a bad guy then? I am asking because that seems to be something a lot of people expects.
----
26.08.2006 - 22:26
Damnated
Churchburner
LaVey called his 'sect' satanists, as he used the Hebrew origin of the word 'satan' as a term to mean 'adversary'. Draw your conclusions.
----

26.08.2006 - 22:33
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=5217] on 26.08.2006 at 16:20

believe in Satan

Ppl tend to confuse things. Believing in Satan, does not make you a satanist of any kind, if you believe in what the Bible sais, then you must believe that Satan, an entity of evil, exists, thus you believe in him.
----

26.08.2006 - 22:45
Alouqua
Account deleted
I guess you got me wrong... look, there are a lot of people who think that satanism is like a trend. They act like they are bad guys and they say they believe in satan (some of them say they ARE satan) and that is not a Satanist. May be I didn't make myself clear... I say there are two kind of satanist, that's wrong, because the second kind of people I mentioned, they are not satanist at all... they make people think they are, but believe me they are not...

"But there are also this people who, most of the time, hear black metal (and that makes me angry, because I respect Black Metal) and they are the bad guys and they believe in Satan an they are Satan... HELL YEAH!!!
that's the kind of people I hate. They don't know a shit... most of the times..."
26.08.2006 - 23:45
Damnated
Churchburner
Again, believing in Satan is not bad, in any sence. Many black metal bands say that they are satanists, but yes, they are not. It is really hard to actually tell the difference between a real satanist band, and a 'helloween' one. I myself think that the true, evil satanists are not amongst corpse painted guys, as besides me and a few others, no one really listen to their 'satanic' music: so what is the reason to be one? I think the evil ones are wearing suites and have degrees.
----

27.08.2006 - 05:58
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.08.2006 at 22:26

LaVey called his 'sect' satanists, as he used the Hebrew origin of the word 'satan' as a term to mean 'adversary'. Draw your conclusions.

MY conclusion would be that you can't create a creed based in a concept taken from a religion you despise... that only shows the lack of strength of LaVey's so-called "satanism" (that is actually anything BUT Satanism)...
27.08.2006 - 15:21
Sunioj
I remember having lots of interesting discussions on contemporary satanism in general on the old MS, it was very interesting, I thought satanism as one kind of devil worshipping, but satanism also represents rebellion to orthodoxism and satanism shares characteristics shared by the judeo christian satan which is rebellion and free will. I think those points are really interesting.

Im not for devil worshipping and I dont want anyone to get confused and say "wait, you dont like devil worshipping but you like satanism", no, contempory satanism is alot differrent, and Im not even talking about Lavey satanism.
Theres smth we can learn from this philosophy, is being apart and being true at the same time from orthodox ways of life, and learning to live by your own spirit. thats important. And thats why I dont have anything against Jon Nodveidt because he followed himself.
27.08.2006 - 17:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Sunioj on 27.08.2006 at 15:21

and Im not even talking about Lavey satanism.

What kind of satanism are you talking about then?
----

27.08.2006 - 17:23
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 27.08.2006 at 17:12

you really think Satanism was created by LaVey, so the cradle of Satanism is California on the 60s??? come on Damnated, there's prove of Satanist sects since the middle ages, and it's all about devil-worship...
27.08.2006 - 17:24
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=5080] on 27.08.2006 at 17:23

you really think Satanism was created by LaVey, so the cradle of Satanism is California on the 60s??? come on Damnated, there's prove of Satanist sects since the middle ages, and it's all about devil-worship...

Why can't you understand? That kind of satanism is called thesitic satanism nowadays, and 'plain' stanism is what laVey created.
----

27.08.2006 - 17:28
Sunioj
Written by Damnated on 27.08.2006 at 17:12

I meant to say "Im not talking about devil worshipping part of satanism"
but the philosophical aspect...I got confused with Thelema

I should be a little clearer, but also related philosophies like thelema and the temple of set is pretty interesting.
27.08.2006 - 17:29
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 27.08.2006 at 17:24

Written by [user id=5080] on 27.08.2006 at 17:23

Why can't you understand? That kind of satanism is called thesitic satanism nowadays, and 'plain' stanism is what laVey created.

Well just that I don't consider LaVey's ideas to be satanism... at all...
27.08.2006 - 17:30
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Sunioj on 27.08.2006 at 17:28

I meant to say "Im not talking about devil worshipping part of satanism"
but the philosophical aspect...

That's LaVey satanism
----

27.08.2006 - 17:45
Sunioj
@Damnated,
I know, alittle blurry thinking today..

@Streetcleaner,
actually, it depends on what you see is satanic. If you look at it from a biblical perspective, anything that is rebellious an proposes free will is satanic such as when lucifer fell from grace. Thats why many metal bands are satanic, and use satan for value, and thats why many interpret metal to be satanic because it is non conformist and unorthodox.