02. Fall With Me
03. The Lies I Sire
04. Bring Me Victory
05. Echoes From A Hollow Soul
06. ShadowHaunt
07. Santuario Di Sangue
08. A Chapter In Loathing
09. Death Triumphant

Look, I just cut myself, this violin sounds like a razor blade slicing my arteries. Now let me read some Shakespeare to you. Pain. Suffering. My ex-girlfriend. Religion. Violins as razors again. Crimson red drops of blood meandering like the wine from the Holy Grail. Your ex-girlfriend. Pain. Violins. Shakespeare. Latin references, look how deep I am. Bleeding love. Now look, I'm angry for a moment!!! Speed. I'm angry!!! AAAAA... OK, now, I'm sad again. Depression. Shattered passion. Violins. Pain. Goodbye.

Come on, we all know this is precisely what My Dying Bride does on every single album including the more experimental ones. If this is your kind of thing, For Lies I Sire will be right up your alley, just like all the other albums by this band. It's not my kind of thing though. To me, pseudo-romantic, overwrought whining like this is quite annoying, frankly. Truly depressed people don't broadcast their pathetic stories in 10 albums, don't recite Shakespearean poetry and don't threaten to commit suicide. They just fucking do it. Preferably in an amusing way, such as by jumping from a building on an old lady. Or by running into a mall with dynamite up their ass. Life is just a cruel joke anyway, right? Well, laugh at this, society!

For Lies I Sire is the first My Dying Bride album to feature violins since Like Gods Of The Sun and as a consequence sounds quite similar to that record. In other words, it is slightly faster and more straight-forward than usual, has more crunchy riffs and steers clear of growled vocals. The exception to this is "A Chapter In Loathing", a weird song with blastbeats and strangely screeched vocals, ironically the only enjoyable piece here. The other tracks follow the band's trademark template as described above and they do it... averagely at best. So if you love this band, the album will be a decent one, or perhaps a slightly above average one for you.

The music on For Lies I Sire has some moments but that doesn't take away from the fact that still, after all these years, the best My Dying Bride songs are those that throw their formula out of the window. Which is what I will happily do now with this CD. Hopefully it will hit an old lady right on the head.

Written on 22.04.2009 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments page 7 / 7

Comments: 181   Visited by: 471 users
19.09.2024 - 12:34
How interesting...
I got into My Dying Bride about a year ago, some fifteen years after this review.
A LOT of water has gone under the bridge since this review came out, and again - the album of course.

I really enjoy MDB's later works. In fact, what got me started on them was someone saying, "My Dying Bride has never released a bad album" as part of a review of ten metal bands who never released bad albums.

And they're right. I've no idea what the metal you listen to, or even if you're still working at Metal Storm. I certainly hope not. It appears that's not the case. Perhaps if you are, you should stick to Black Metal or some punk albums, etc.

This is one of the best albums in existence in the metal world. Certainly in the top 100.
The lyrics in "My Body, A Funeral" are utterly astonishing:
"Her burning stare, like minute blazing suns
Roars into the back of my head, and I simply move away"
I mean... that's some serious messing there, compared to, "Chop you breakfast on a mirror", you know?

It sounds cold, and deathly, and dark and gothic.
Which is appropriate, as it's a GOTH METAL ALBUM.

Anyhoo. Yeah.
Stick to BeeGees or maybe Mayhem, mate.

Hits total: 17155 | This month: 65