Metal Storm logo
Woods Of Ypres

Original post

Posted by Detric, 15.06.2006 - 18:16
You either hate or love this band, I love it. They are from Canada and well known of playing melodic 'summer black metal'. I know it sounds really stupid, but I think it works out pretty well. They released a demo called Against The Seasons in 2002 which was re-released in 2005. Then they released a full-length called Pursuit Of The Sun & Allure Of The Earth, great album in my opinion. The debut is more black metallish and has a more raw sound to it, while their full-length is far more melodic with alot of clean vocals, but still good, I cant decide which one I like the best. Most people Ive talked to about this band, usually say the music is fantastic, but the vocals are boring and unsteady. But thats actually what I like about David Gold's vocals, they are unique, and I think his vocals fits the music perfectly! Have anyone lisnted to Woods Of Ypres, if you have, what are your thoughts about them? For those who dont know, they will release a new album this year called Woods III.

Taken form their website:

"The new record will mark a return to the harsher, colder sound of the original demo, while also pushing new boundaries and exploring new musical ideas"

Im really looking forward to this. For those of you who havent heard Woods Of Ypres go to www.woodsofypres.ca there are some songs you can streame directly from the website.
27.06.2012 - 16:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I wouldn't call his lyrics emo, whiny I would call them and I don't think they are any good at all to be honest. You come across loads of lyrics such as his in doom, gothic, depressive black, nothing special about them.
But then again I am not one who gives a fuck about lyrics. His lyrics might have been of Shakespeare's level but that wouldn't make the average rip-off music on the last couple of Woods Of Ypres albums any better for me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.06.2012 - 19:06
FOOCK Nam

I really like the song's lyric Distraction Of Living Alone, somewhat sad mixed with satisfaction.

@Marcel: you never care what your favorite music genre i.e doom, thrash singing about ? is that you old and never bother the philosophy/emotion/attitude etc of the lyric,.. or you have no time to bother... : )
28.06.2012 - 13:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by FOOCK Nam on 27.06.2012 at 19:06

@Marcel: you never care what your favorite music genre i.e doom, thrash singing about ? is that you old and never bother the philosophy/emotion/attitude etc of the lyric,.. or you have no time to bother... : )

I think it's more of an attitude like "if the lyrics are great... that's good... if not... I don't care as long as the music is good" which is the same stand I have for lyrics.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.06.2012 - 14:54
deathexhortation

Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.06.2012 at 13:15

Written by FOOCK Nam on 27.06.2012 at 19:06

I think it's more of an attitude like "if the lyrics are great... that's good... if not... I don't care as long as the music is good" which is the same stand I have for lyrics.

I think that's a pretty common attitude for metalheads. It's mine also.
03.08.2012 - 09:27
Hylia

They are a huge inspiration to me as someone learning to write. Also I have been listening to this band for maybe, 6 years now. So lots of their songs I can relate to certain points in my life, especially the Green album. I like how they always manage to do something different musically, and I think David Gold's death was a huge loss to the metal community. Its too bad to lose someone who is that young.
04.08.2012 - 02:14
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Does anyone else think it's weird that not much has come out about the accident that killed David Gold? Why was nobody charged with the accident death if Gold was a pedestrian? Did he do something that made the accident his fault? It just seems odd to me.
04.08.2012 - 03:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 04.08.2012 at 02:14
Does anyone else think it's weird that not much has come out about the accident that killed David Gold? Why was nobody charged with the accident death if Gold was a pedestrian? Did he do something that made the accident his fault? It just seems odd to me.

Possibly due to a couple reasons (if in fact he didn't simply commit suicide). If he was walking on the highway, he's not legally regarded as a pedestrian as there aren't any sidewalks or pedestrian street signs. It would likely be ruled his fault if he did indeed get hit by a car while walking. It's different than in the city, where you have sidewalks, street lights, signs, etc.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.08.2012 - 04:38
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.08.2012 at 03:15

Possibly due to a couple reasons (if in fact he didn't simply commit suicide). If he was walking on the highway, he's not legally regarded as a pedestrian as there aren't any sidewalks or pedestrian street signs. It would likely be ruled his fault if he did indeed get hit by a car while walking. It's different than in the city, where you have sidewalks, street lights, signs, etc.

Yeah, I just wonder why no specific information was ever released. Does Canada have freedom of information laws similar to the U.S., so someone could request the incident report from the police agency?
05.08.2012 - 00:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 04.08.2012 at 04:38
Yeah, I just wonder why no specific information was ever released. Does Canada have freedom of information laws similar to the U.S., so someone could request the incident report from the police agency?

I'm not sure how similar exactly we are in terms of legalities, but I know in Ontario every citizen has the right to request information on behalf of a dead person from the Ontario Provincial Police. However, they don't always have to abide by your request, as some cases have restricted access. It's the same thing with the prisons in my city (Kingston's renowned for its penitentiaries) - you can request information about a prisoner from the Correctional Service of Canada, but only some inmates' information can be discussed openly.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.08.2012 - 04:03
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Fantastic band! It's hard to make out what sub-genre of metal they are
05.08.2012 - 07:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 05.08.2012 at 04:03
Fantastic band! It's hard to make out what sub-genre of metal they are

On the whole I'd say they're better known for their gothic doom albums.
----
26.08.2012 - 07:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Missing you more everyday.

Rest In Peace David.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.08.2012 - 16:57
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.08.2012 at 07:09

Yeah, "Woods IV" was a big break through for the band.
26.08.2012 - 18:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 26.08.2012 at 16:57

Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.08.2012 at 07:09

Yeah, "Woods IV" was a big break through for the band.

If you haven't, I really recommend The Pursuit Of The Sun And The Allure Of The Earth (A.K.A Woods II)

It's a lot lighter though, more acoustic bits, but I love it. It's a really good album, despite what Marcel may say.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.11.2013 - 15:25
Totaldeathfanzin

Sadly....they have amazing songs...
----
TOTAL DEATH FANZINE #2 NUNSLAUGHTER,BLACK WITCHERY,PEST,MASTER,RADIATION
SICKNESS,PTAHIL,KROW,TEITANFYRE,SICKRITES,IMPALER OF PEST,DISFORTERROR,TALES OF BLOOD,SKINEATER..
22.11.2013 - 17:18
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I really wish there would be a repress of the band's earlier releases.
25.11.2013 - 03:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 22.11.2013 at 17:18

Most likely wont happen due to David self releasing them.

I'm still very interested in that tape btw. please let me give you all my money for it
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.11.2013 - 16:47
Ancient Dreams

Earache were after the rights for them but I have no idea what came of that in the end (and I think that may have been just vinyl as they were never pressed on that format). I think the problem is for Earache, now it's all passed and all the people that cared about Woods because David died have gone, they have a small fanbase again. Not worth doing it now for them.
02.12.2013 - 07:14
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Somebody will get the rights one day. It's just a matter of time.
19.12.2013 - 06:01
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.11.2013 at 03:36

Written by Guest on 22.11.2013 at 17:18

Most likely wont happen due to David self releasing them.

I'm still very interested in that tape btw. please let me give you all my money for it

What ? Is Independent Nature out of print ?
19.12.2013 - 17:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by SilentScream on 19.12.2013 at 06:01

Anything that was release via Krakenhaus is, David personally dealt with them.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.02.2014 - 16:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

you still can download it or buy on ebay somewhere
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.02.2014 - 18:02
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2014 at 16:34

you still can download it or buy on ebay somewhere

I own it already. I was just surprised to hear it was out of print.