Metal Storm logo
Over Population

Original post

Posted by Soliloquy, 17.06.2006 - 19:39
is it a problem? or is it a good thing?

if its a problem, how do we fix it?

i personally think that at the rate the world population is going, we would cause our own judgement day before God planned to. i mean, look at countries like China, and India. sure, their economy is going high, but at the same time, the world pollution is going high. sure china put a limit on thier child birth, and they limited a couple to only have 1 child. if they exceed that limit, they would be paying tons of taxes. India on the other hand doesnt have that limit. its population is almost 1 billion(that is 1 sixth of the world population), and its still sky rocketing.

Kenya's population growth rate is at a 4.6(or was it a 4.8?) percent. what that means is that in the next 16 years, their population would double. and then it would take them 12 years to double that. and then 7 years to double that. Kenya's growth rate is by far, the fastest in the world. and has been the fastest in over the 100 years or so?

what does over population mean to the world? well, for one, the more people there are, the more land they take up. for example, 75% of the kenyan population is living on farmlands. if that wasnt bad enough, countries have to get rid of tons and tons of forests to make room for more people to live. since the government cant keep up with such a big population, people start to take matters in their own hand. they start cutting down woods for fire, or thier stove. and if they are hungry, they start hunting, which is bringing the animal population to a down low as well. and if you look at this in an economic point of veiw, if people start living on farmlands, than the country's government would have to increase their imports just to keep up with the population's demands. and what would happen if the government cant handel that demand? you can only imagine.

just imagine what the world would be like when its population doubles to 12 billion?. people would be fighting for the necsesities needed to live. stuff like water, food, shelter, clothing. and if everyone is cramped together, there would be a huge rise in the diseases(if you know your history, look what happend to athens when they build a wall around their city.). people would be living in their own filth.

and if that wasnt bad enough, if people contine to cut down the trees, then the greenhouse gases would contine to fuck our ozone layer, which would mean that the place would get hotter, and hotter still. is that bad? yes! for starters, the ice caps from the north pole, and south pole will melt. who cares? well, north pole, sure its no actual land, but it is just a huge chunk of floating ice that is around 3 miles deep. (wait..was it 3 or 2 miles deep?) and the ice on south pole is about 3 miles deep. you melt those, and you would get a major flood. the only living lands to survive that would be mountian peeks like mount everest, or those rocky pillars in south america. how can the world population live on those tiny islands? well, they cant. first reason being that it would be so close to the sun, that it would be series of heat strokes. on top of that, man cant survive with ocean water. but then again, our ocean water has been polluted. and we have killed about i think 75% of the fish that lived near coastal areas. so really, we cant live.

and if you think that that wont happen, or its impossible to happen....well they say(discovery channel. you gotta love it!) that the jungel as thick as the amazons has been loosing trees every day. people have been clearing about 1 to 1 and a half lenghts of football fields in trees alone. and with the african and indian population sky rocketing, their forests would be chopped down soon.

a cure? a solution? what, put a manditory ban on couples world wide? that wont work becuase a lot of third world countries need more than one child in the family to either work on the famrs, in facotires, or look after diseased family members. and on top of that, those families alose loose tons of kids becuase of diseases. on top of that, even if we were to put that limit on them, it wont work. reason ebing that people just dont listen.

sow hat is the cure to stop this from happening? shut down all the factories? people are money hungry. that wont happen. im sure someone like billgates can buy a country if he pleases. so that wont work

a war? creat a holocaust to sacrifice all the people in the world? humm...that would be WAY to ethical. and that would also cuase a huge riot, and racism would be on the rise becuase people would say 'who to kill?' anarchy would break down on the streets. no, anarchy is not a good thing becuase it would be that everyman is his own government. it just wont work...

so is over population a serious delema that people should worry about? is there soemthing that can be done to stop it? what should happen? your views and opinions
27.04.2012 - 22:12
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Kindof a side-tangent but...
An interesting observation I have noticed with this, is its Environmental/Organics effects. I come from a hippy-town and everyone is pro-environment and pro-organic. But if you really think about it, it is an oxymoron to be both pro-environmentalist and pro-organic; we have such a large population that if we banned meat factories and GMO crops and went all organic, think of the extra amount of land that would use... The entire USA would be farmland and free-range for cows depleting the space for natural habitat.

That is why, while i like to eat organic food when I can, I often eat GMO and factory meat as well. Because it comes down to an overpopulation issue in the end.

It goes to show the ignorance of the general public and the inability for people to critically think.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
28.04.2012 - 20:21
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by AngelofDeth on 27.04.2012 at 22:05

I think the solution is worldwide birthlaws. it should be illegal to have more than one child per 2parents (a couple) and something like taxbreaks should be given to couples that decide to have Zero children. The problem is humanities innate urge to reproduce, both physically through sex and physiologically to nurture offspring. If birthbans occured people would get terribly upset and claim Human Right violations which is why no one really talks about it. So I find it very unlikely it will occur relatively soon. unfortunate...

Some worldwide birth law is never going to happen because overpopulation is not a problem in every country. Overall, overpopulation as a problem should be looked at by dividing the world into localities, such as southeast Asia where a third of the population lives in a small area. Sooner or later the environment comes to a point where it can't withstand the pressure of overpopulation and a major humanitary crisis will happen, such as a fatal virus outbreak.
28.04.2012 - 22:09
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 22:16

Exactly (again). We're doing everything we can to prolong life to the point people are just waiting around to fuckin' die. Next stop, immortality?

So much, in fact, that we haven't had enough cash to study antibiotics for ten years now.

also how is that a bad thing please tell me again.

For immortality, we need biomechanical bodies or some shit.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.04.2012 - 16:20
Grody2themax
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 21:49

Exactly. Science has already proven the Earth can't handle seven billion people for very long.

Since when has science "proven" that. I don't think the Earth was designed for a species population this high, but thats the genius (and inevitable downfall) of mankind. Instead of solely adapting to the environment, we made our environment adapt to us. Think of how many people live in Japan, and then all of the unused forest still left in this world. Not saying it would be pretty, but I'm guessing Earth could support about twice as many people as now given that some sort sustainable energy source is found/developed by that time.

Very tragic though. Especially considering the effects of overpopulation, some of Hitler's ideology involving the supreme race actually has some very arguable valid points (which I think you brought up in another post.) Unfortunately, what this entails is letting people die of diseases, not doing as much to help people out. This totally goes against the common man's ethics, since its been important for our survival as a species to want to help other people.

Watch this, interesting point of view on the human population/overpopulation. Not saying I completely agree with everything he said though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyc12-neTjM
01.05.2012 - 00:30
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Grody2themax on 29.04.2012 at 16:20
Very tragic though. Especially considering the effects of overpopulation, some of Hitler's ideology involving the supreme race actually has some very arguable valid points (which I think you brought up in another post.) Unfortunately, what this entails is letting people die of diseases, not doing as much to help people out. This totally goes against the common man's ethics, since its been important for our survival as a species to want to help other people.

Please elaborate on this Hitlerist ideology.

Survival of the fittest isn't Hitler's ideology, it's been around much before that, as well as eugenics, which is the goal of the Global Elite in modern times.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.05.2012 - 05:03
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by vezzy on 28.04.2012 at 22:09

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 22:16

Exactly (again). We're doing everything we can to prolong life to the point people are just waiting around to fuckin' die. Next stop, immortality?

So much, in fact, that we haven't had enough cash to study antibiotics for ten years now.

also how is that a bad thing please tell me again.

For immortality, we need biomechanical bodies or some shit.

Forget immortality, doesn't seem plausible on a large scale. Evolution runs its course, grows the noggins and shit'll get done.

But the cancelation of the US space program is slightly disturbing. We need to spread the love on the the next rock.
----
01.05.2012 - 21:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Over populatuion is onbe of reapsn why we dont have a job, we have to many ppl in this world
Why Chinese policy is progresive and they have no crisies, --- one child family
We need it in Europe and world to, one child family + only chposen ones can be parents like no drug additcs, untruted, criminals, sich , poor, and so on
Im sick n tired when ppl aks me when I get merry and have a child, fuck sake what he or she will eat and where work I cant find good job whit 30 000 kronner per month in office either so , and sucky job whit 20 000 and less I cant get it either, only what I can is i 3-4 h jobb 3 days per week where way to jo costs more how I can earn damn I hate ppl who wants be poarents and dont think where children will gonna work
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.05.2012 - 00:38
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 01.05.2012 at 21:26

I don't think this is exactly the reason of the economic growth of China.
In fact, as I already wrote couple of posts ago, it has created a social crisis of its own kind...
02.05.2012 - 00:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 02.05.2012 at 00:38

Written by Bad English on 01.05.2012 at 21:26

I don't think this is exactly the reason of the economic growth of China.
In fact, as I already wrote couple of posts ago, it has created a social crisis of its own kind...

Yes but still Europians cant handle 2-3 cvhildren, muslims has 10 or more ... ppl dont think wher etehy will work and where they will live ,
we have simply to much ppl its all, no jobs, no money, if in Europe 40% ppl will die from bird flu , unploymeny maybe be 1-2% and it means I can get better social garanties and not work, even its sily post but its true,
----

apos;'
[image]
02.05.2012 - 00:51
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 02.05.2012 at 00:42

Yes but still Europians cant handle 2-3 cvhildren, muslims has 10 or more ... ppl dont think wher etehy will work and where they will live ,
we have simply to much ppl its all, no jobs, no money, if in Europe 40% ppl will die from bird flu , unploymeny maybe be 1-2% and it means I can get better social garanties and not work, even its sily post but its true,

Bub... if I don't have a kid, then an unploymeyd gypsy will have 10 kids somewhere and will abuse them in order to get state benefits. There's a balance... if a European European doesn't want kids because of the aching heart about overpopulation, then a non-European immigrant will not only just have 10 kids but will also bring the entire family and friends and relatives from the country of origin, they settle in the social flat and they live in miserable conditions (which they don't complain about) while the white guy accuses them of abusing the state benefits system and causing overpopulation. Does it take anyone anywhere?
02.05.2012 - 01:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 02.05.2012 at 00:51

Written by Bad English on 02.05.2012 at 00:42

Bub... if I don't have a kid, then an unploymeyd gypsy will have 10 kids somewhere and will abuse them in order to get state benefits. There's a balance... if a European European doesn't want kids because of the aching heart about overpopulation, then a non-European immigrant will not only just have 10 kids but will also bring the entire family and friends and relatives from the country of origin, they settle in the social flat and they live in miserable conditions (which they don't complain about) while the white guy accuses them of abusing the state benefits system and causing overpopulation. Does it take anyone anywhere?

I dont want kid and I never will have it , metal is my life and I dont need kiddos
its true but that is also complicated , elegal imigration and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
28.11.2013 - 01:31
DyingWorld
Written by Irritable Ted on 29.04.2012 at 16:23

I'm sure that if we got rid of all the forests and paved over everything we could fit alot more people in.

Might be a shortage of air and food though.

I would rather spare the forests and have mandatory abortions for people who aren't fit to be parents. Unfortunately, this goes against my own morals as I'm all for individual rights. At the same time, I believe humans aren't above nature. I can't really seem to come to a conclusion on this but I believe overpopulation to be a problem but tearing down more forests isn't going to solve it in the long run.
30.11.2013 - 16:35
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by DyingWorld on 28.11.2013 at 01:31

At the same time, I believe humans aren't above nature. I can't really seem to come to a conclusion on this but I believe overpopulation to be a problem but tearing down more forests isn't going to solve it in the long run.

If we tore down all forests, this planet wouldn't even be suitable for life anymore Like I said in my previous posts we're already seeing nature fighting back our population explosion. We're seeing multi-drug resistant bacteria, more aggressive HIV variants, more resistant genital disease etc.
30.11.2013 - 16:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Over population, lets say Europe and N America only can grow food to feed them selfs,maybe some parts of othe rcontinets to but not all and there are dry areas , we have huge starvation today and if our population will grow, Europe and N Americxa wont be abble feed all people in thsi world, overpopulation is unplument problem and there no free apparments to, so after 200 years it can eb huge problem, this is why I support Chinese 1 child policy, I wish it was in Europe to, start whit menthaly ill and drug addicts, alcoholics who must be banned from having children
if ship was made for 200 ppl if there be 250 it can sink, same world after 1000 years 3000 can our planete handle all?

Fantasy ... chosen ones will be taken to stars, rest of chosen one stay as survives after nuclear catastrophe
Rest will die... why ppl cant see it can happen, I will be at valhalla and see all I be glad that I will die soon and wont see chaos.
----

apos;'
[image]
30.11.2013 - 17:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 16:51
we have huge starvation today and if our population will grow, Europe and N Americxa wont be abble feed all people in thsi world

We have enough food in this world to feed everybody. (Source)

Quote:
this is why I support Chinese 1 child policy, I wish it was in Europe to, start whit menthaly ill and drug addicts, alcoholics who must be banned from having children

When you give government the power to decide who is and isn't allowed to procreate, you're flirting with disaster. Would you like your government to decide what you do with your life?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.11.2013 - 17:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2013 at 17:17

Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 16:51
we have huge starvation today and if our population will grow, Europe and N Americxa wont be abble feed all people in thsi world

We have enough food in this world to feed everybody. (Source)

Quote:
this is why I support Chinese 1 child policy, I wish it was in Europe to, start whit menthaly ill and drug addicts, alcoholics who must be banned from having children

When you give government the power to decide who is and isn't allowed to procreate, you're flirting with disaster. Would you like your government to decide what you do with your life?

if world ha snaought food while big paret of Asia and Africa is strarving?
But over population and dobble so many people as we have today, there wont eb enought land, we build, destroy, land where we can farm is getting smaller and smaller

Yes I do goverment can say it if it goes to drug addicts or alcoholics, if person use drugs since 16 and 2-3 years goverment can ban him from being a parent, there are many children who are abused because parents are alcoholics, drug addicts and retards

and that case why goverment say we need have a children and why single poeple whit out child pay more taxes discrination
----

apos;'
[image]
30.11.2013 - 17:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 17:21
if world ha snaought food while big paret of Asia and Africa is strarving?

There are a myriad of websites you can go to if you want to learn more about this, but the source I provided gives a nice succinct answer to that question: "The principal problem is that many people in the world do not have sufficient land to grow, or income to purchase, enough food."

Quote:
But over population and dobble so many people as we have today, there wont eb enought land, we build, destroy, land where we can farm is getting smaller and smaller

What will come of our species in the future is primarily hypothetical, but I do agree that we are losing arable land and as a result will in all likelihood lose the ability to grow food in future generations, especially if populations increase drastically.

Quote:
Yes I do goverment can say it if it goes to drug addicts or alcoholics, if person use drugs since 16 and 2-3 years goverment can ban him from being a parent, there are many children who are abused because parents are alcoholics, drug addicts and retards

This is a fundamental disagreement. In no way shape or form will I ever endorse my government to make decisions for me in accordance to how I live my life, but I understand the opposing perspective. It's easy to sit back and let corporatocracy rule our daily lives, especially if government decisions are benefiting you. The question is what do you do once you hand that power over and suddenly those decisions are no longer being made in your favor? It might start with parenting licenses and drug screening for low-income families, but who's to say it stops there?

Quote:
and that case why goverment say we need have a children and why single poeple whit out child pay more taxes discrination

Does your government say you need to have children? If they do it's most likely because a healthy population contributes to a healthy economy. I don't know what discrimination you're referring to, but that might be a cultural thing. Here in Canada a parent pays the same taxes as an adult without children, although our government does provide some social services for parents.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.11.2013 - 19:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Troy - its possible make sahara to place where to grow whatso ever , whole Arabia soudia, it costs but conservative muslims wont agree
if russia wont be ''retardet'' same goes for east Europe whit modernr knoladge its possible prodict more and whit better resul sving land, but they need get rid of corruption

I hear in some countries we pay more if we're single , Alois aka Ellorhior told me it and in Lv we do
I dont want children , because I hardly can handle 1-2 ppl at hone, one day I came from school, fucking phone rung, cats were hungry , and dor bell rung , I was pissed, and say to all (whit out cats) fuck off.... imgae wife ad children, I was loging on at MS and FB that time, 1thpriorities are net world to me
besides if state wants me have chldren they must pay social garanties and more how they do since all getting expencice + if children canty get a job, they need get same social gartanthies as working ppl,. because gvernmnet needs fix unployment to all .... I am extremly socialitsic when it goes to social garanties
----

apos;'
[image]
30.11.2013 - 19:58
no one
Account deleted
Bad english, you are just soooo metal not have kids

I saw a recent doco the other day said all the urban areas in the world put together would only come to the size of half Australia, which i thought wasn't too bad. We still have a lot of land to fuck up.
Need to suss out mars, then all the rich people can move there and it will be like the movie Esyliem....most intelligent vital point made so far
30.11.2013 - 20:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.11.2013 at 19:58

I saw a recent doco the other day said all the urban areas in the world put together would only come to the size of half Australia, which i thought wasn't too bad. We still have a lot of land to fuck up.
Need to suss out mars, then all the rich people can move there and it will be like the movie Esyliem....most intelligent vital point made so far

I am Marcel he is me, we have no kids, we love doom and beers
No rich ppl can stay better criminals and total retards must be send away
----

apos;'
[image]
30.11.2013 - 20:27
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 20:09

Written by Guest on 30.11.2013 at 19:58

I am Marcel he is me, we have no kids, we love doom and beers
No rich ppl can stay better criminals and total retards must be send away

you are Marcel ? and who's a retard ?
03.12.2013 - 17:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 30.11.2013 at 20:27

you are Marcel ? and who's a retard ?

Let me guarantee you I am NOT, I repeat, NOT Bad English and he isn't me, either.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.12.2014 - 03:10
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
13.04.2016 - 22:41
Enteroctopus
As usual, issues of poverty and overall having a shitty life tend to decrease as education increases. For example; I have a doctorate, my wife a Master's, we had our first child at 33 because we waited until we.. you guessed it! ..had advanced degrees and a way to pay for the children we wanted to have.

At the same time we are surrounded by families who have to drive around in practically busses (Suburbans and Tahoes) because they have five kids, minimum, and they complain about all of the things we managed to avoid because.. you guessed it! ..we waited to have children until we were financially secure.

These include: can't afford to (insert basically everything here)

Solution?

On a national or state level provide free quality public education, and subsidized housing for people who are on track to get at least trade certified. That would allow people to get an education and at the very least have a solid job, like Electrician, which can bring enough money to support yourself. Sadly, we don't do that. We actually profit off the education system by putting the prospective skilled worker in debt, so your Electrician who could feed a family in 1960 simply can't do it anymore.

Too much debt.

And of course at that time (1960 USA) the average person had a family to stay with, so housing, school cost a fraction of what it now does, etc., etc.

People say, "I can't afford to go to school!"

..just as they say they can't afford to maintain their car properly (so it breaks and they have to buy a new one - more debt), they can't afford to go to the doctor (like me), so they end up needing major work done instead of simple work - more debt..

It's just a vicious cycle in which people continually get further and further behind because society has stopped providing education and basic housing for young people to be trained into specialized careers, so they don't get that training and life is more difficult and their children can't afford an education.

And when do the kids start coming? 18, 19, 20...

Jesus!! Me with a kid at 18?! That's the reality for most people, I think. Kids make bad parents, and that's the norm. We're being raised by uneducated teenagers with practically zero lifeskills and a $600 Samsung Galaxy babysitter for everyone.

Now you're basically raised by your Twitter feed. That's the problem.
03.08.2017 - 18:42
Julius666
Over population is a problem. An international one. With the current growth of population in many African and Asian countries, it is seriously damaging our environment. As these countries are using too many of Earth's resources, that it causes problems such as global warming and pollution. I don't know how to best resolve these problems from a country with a population that is getting smaller, other than the fact that my country is giving a crazy amount of money to these kind of countries, which I don't see as the way forward. My point being that we are trying to save too many lives, and when the population is rising like this, many more people should die. I know I'm inhumane, nihilistic and misanthropic, but that's just how I feel.
----
hipster kid
05.08.2017 - 17:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Julius666 on 03.08.2017 at 18:42

Over population is a problem. An international one. With the current growth of population in many African and Asian countries, it is seriously damaging our environment. As these countries are using too many of Earth's resources, that it causes problems such as global warming and pollution. I don't know how to best resolve these problems from a country with a population that is getting smaller, other than the fact that my country is giving a crazy amount of money to these kind of countries, which I don't see as the way forward. My point being that we are trying to save too many lives, and when the population is rising like this, many more people should die. I know I'm inhumane, nihilistic and misanthropic, but that's just how I feel.

Have you heard about Agenda 34. ?
Have you thought why war, starvation, natural desasters happens in those areas, not in USA or Europe where population is OK?
----

apos;'
[image]