01. Endzeit Elegy
02. All I Ever Knew Is Dead
03. The Altar And The Choir Of The Moonkult
04. Graveyard Horizon
05. Zorn A Rust-Red Scythe
06. Devived
07. Mirror Of Sorrow
08. I Am The End - Crucifixion Part II

Never mind long introductions - this, my friends, is a very special album, for a couple of reasons:

First things first, unlike most albums nowadays, "Dooom" is aesthetically impressive. The artwork of the cross-fold digipack version is simply beautiful: these grey pictures of fallen leaves, abandoned graveyards or post-nuclear holocaust city ruins have something that catches the eye. They are in perfect harmony with the rest of the album. Worship need to be congratulated for giving as much thought to the visual aspect of their art as to its actual content.

It is also very special due to its background. It took seven years to actually record it. The band began working on it in 2000, but in 2001 their vocalist and founding member Fucked Up Mad Max jumped off a bridge and the band split up. They reformed in 2004 and released "Dooom" in 2007 as a tribute to his memory. The man even appears on vocals on a couple of tracks. You cannot find a better tribute than this album.

When it is done correctly, funeral doom is probably one of the most proficient genres at conveying pure emotion. Worship, for all their slowness - and believe me, this is the slowest album that has been released in a decade - are actually very good at creating 'sonic worlds' of their own with only the smallest amount of tricks. At first sight, "Dooom" can be viewed as a monolithic, minimalist album which pushes the usual features of funeral doom (a speed ratio under 30 bpm, ultra-cavernous vocals and suicidal atmospheres) to the extreme limits. Now let yourself drown in it, and you'll see that although definitely minimalist and extreme, "Dooom" is not as monolithic as it may seem. It is all the small side elements that come on top of the funeral doom basics that really hit the mark and make it a very 'visual' experience. It's those mournful, almost dissonant guitars at the end of "All I Ever Knew Is Dead". It's those crepuscular, hypnotic guitar leads, so slow but so convincing. It's this combination of low clean vocals/clean guitars/melodic guitars/ringing bells on "Graveyard Horizon". It's those distant mad screams on "I Am The End". It's those chilling choirs which appear at regular intervals all along the album. It's those bleak piano parts on "Zorn A Rust-Red Scythe", and the epilogue played by The Doommonger and Fucked Up Mad Max during their last session before the latter took his life. It's this new, awesome approach to a Solitude Aeturnus song ("Mirror Of Sorrow"). It is, finally, the simple fact to recognize the greatness of a band that most will overlook because such music is not their cup of tea, or just because they won't want to make the effort of opening themselves to something different.

Never mind long conclusions - this, my friends, is a very special album. But you'll need to find out why by yourself. Some things need just be felt, not dissected.

Written by Deadsoulman | 06.04.2008

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 174 users
07.04.2008 - 00:33
ylside
staff
Meant to check it before but I always forget. Thanks for reminding!
07.04.2008 - 02:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
One of the very best doom metal albums of the last year.... very good review btw
07.04.2008 - 09:17
FOOCK Nam
This one is masterpiece.
09.04.2008 - 20:44
Narterath
Funeral doom the way it should be. A worthy successor to Last Tape/CD/Vinyl Before Doomsday and a great tribute to Fucked Up Mad Max. RIP.
12.04.2008 - 18:57
FOOCK Nam
Damn, this stuff make me return to comment more on the review that: the originality and production are excellent. I will dig its lyric later, current is the time of enjoying music literally.
12.04.2008 - 20:10
Deadsoulman
elite
Written by FOOCK Nam on 12.04.2008 at 18:57

Damn, this stuff make me return to comment more on the review that: the originality and production are excellent. I will dig its lyric later, current is the time of enjoying music literally.

It's great to see people really enjoying this album. This is one of the greatest doom albums of the past few years
14.04.2008 - 07:14
FOOCK Nam
Written by Deadsoulman on 12.04.2008 at 20:10

Written by FOOCK Nam on 12.04.2008 at 18:57

It's great to see people really enjoying this album. This is one of the greatest doom albums of the past few years

To me, it is not only one of greatest doom, it is exact the best and greatest doom I have ever witnessed. I have two my cult band Empyrium and Worship. Empyrium has the album Songs of Moors And Misty Fields, one of my best album all time. But now I prefer Worship - Dooom, maybe because I listen to this one later than the Empyrium one.

Hits total: 6319 | This month: 12