Metal Storm logo
Voivod

22.02.2009 - 22:58
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Wanted to ask a few Voivod related questions, and given the lack of a general Voivod thread on Metal Storm, figured I'd create a new topic for them as well, where anything related to Voivod could be discussed.

Anyway, here's what's bugging me:

I've read that the older Voivod albums were supposed to be remastered and reissued, I know that War & Pain and The Outer Limits reissues have been released, what about Rrröööaaarrr, Dimension Hatröss and Nothingface? A quick search on the web only revealed old news posts on several sites, mentioning the planned reissues, so I presume that the reissues are supposed to be released sometime in the future.

In that case, can anyone tell me whether the old cd versions of Rrröööaaarrr, Dimension Hatröss and Nothingface sound fine without remastering? I know that some of the old cd-versions of Noise albums suffer from too low volume (Voivod's Killing Technology, Sabbat's Dreamweaver) and/or cheap-looking booklet without all of the lyrics (Coroner's No More Colour, also Killing Technology booklet lacks the lyrics for the cd-version bonus songs). Do the old cd versions of Rrröööaaarrr, Hatröss and Nothingface also suffer from these problems? Also, are the old vinyl versions better?

I'd appreciate any advice, currently I'm not sure whether I should try to get the old cd versions or vinyls, or would I be better off waiting for the remastered versions.
23.02.2009 - 16:42
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I can't believe I let a Voivod thread get through...Voivod kicks ass! They're one of my favorite Canadian prog/thrash bands for sure...I've seen them live a number of times...Nothingface is one of my favorite albums...that's awesome that older albums might be remastered...I can't wait...
23.02.2009 - 17:20
Elio
Red Nightmare
I have heard only two of their works, Nothingface and Dimension Hatross, awesome shit.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.02.2009 - 22:38
rageing atheist
Account deleted
As of now, I've heard only Killing Technology, The Outer Limits and Negatron from start to finish, and I like both Killing Technology and The Outer Limits very much, though the low volume on my Killing Technology cd irks me ( guitar tone is killer though).
23.02.2009 - 23:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Dimension Hatross is a goiod for me. A totally brilliant album which they never surpassed imo
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.05.2009 - 21:02
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I've recently discovered Voivod out of curiosity since the frontman from Martyr joined the band. They're an amazing band and i can't believe i've never gave them a listen sooner. I love Dimension Hatross and Nothingface which are said to be their best works, i wouldn't doubt so. Great songwriting and some of the most original stuff i've heard.

@ rageing atheist : to answer your question, Dimension Hatross and Nothingface have a pretty good production, you can hear everything quite clearly, though they might suffer just a tad from low volume. I have to raise my speakers volume a bit over "the average", nothing to significant though.

I might order Dimension Hatross today before the damn thing goes out of print, even though you say remasters might be coming in the near future, that would be epic. As for Nothingface, the album is up to over 200$ on amazon, that one might be out of print already.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
19.06.2009 - 13:28
Elio
Red Nightmare
So, anybody listened the new album already? Any comment?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.07.2009 - 07:02
ironfiststew
Account deleted
I accidentally saw a voivod video on youtube once, and it made me want to bash my head into a wall. and NOT in a good way lol. do people seriously listen to them??
07.07.2009 - 18:20
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 07.07.2009 at 07:02

I accidentally saw a voivod video on youtube once, and it made me want to bash my head into a wall. and NOT in a good way lol. do people seriously listen to them??

A cheesy '80s MTV video with bad sound on YouTube is not the first experience with Voivod I want you to have....

...please get their album Outer Limits and listen to it at least five times and come back here and we will edit your post!!!
----
rekt
07.07.2009 - 18:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Elio on 19.06.2009 at 13:28

So, anybody listened the new album already? Any comment?

I've got it!! It sounds alot like Katorz. It's basically a Piggy tribute album. RIP Denis
----
rekt
28.06.2010 - 23:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I started digging The Outer Limits after many many listens around a month ago. It is indeed a great album. Do they have anything like this album in their catalog?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.06.2010 - 14:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
Voivod are great. I can't really enjoy their first three albums though. Never cared for generic, lo-fi speed metal much. Killing Technology was better and the following albums are awesome. I got Infini too. Basically a "Katorz, Pt. 2" but a nice tribute to Piggy.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.07.2010 - 01:24
bkrownd

Written by K✞ulu on 28.06.2010 at 23:15

I started digging The Outer Limits after many many listens around a month ago. It is indeed a great album. Do they have anything like this album in their catalog?

You mean by Voivod, or by someone else? Angel Rat sounded similar to Outer Limits, but after that came a complete change with the IMO abysmal Negatron. Outer Limits was the last Voivod album I liked.

Dimension Hatross defined Voivod for me. Loved that one BITD. The recordings from Hatross to Outer Limits are good quality. (can't remember killing technology well)

I originally had written Voivod off after hearing the messy clumsy "Roaaaaar", but I had always liked the song Blower on the Best of Metal Blade comp and fortunately gave Hatross a chance when it came out.
03.07.2010 - 15:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by bkrownd on 03.07.2010 at 01:24

I originally had written Voivod off after hearing the messy clumsy "Roaaaaar", but I had always liked the song Blower on the Best of Metal Blade comp and fortunately gave Hatross a chance when it came out.

Haha, glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes the earliest Voivod albums. XD
----
03.07.2010 - 15:50
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by vezzy on 03.07.2010 at 15:44

Haha, glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes the earliest Voivod albums. XD

I am not a huge fan of any of the albums before Dimension Hatross. I am more into progressive than thrash so their later stuff suits me better!
----
rekt
03.07.2010 - 16:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2010 at 15:50

Written by vezzy on 03.07.2010 at 15:44

I am not a huge fan of any of the albums before Dimension Hatross. I am more into progressive than thrash so their later stuff suits me better!

Actually the early stuff is more speed metal. Rrroooaaarrr was thrashier, especially on "Thrashing Rage", but still has speed metal roots. Killing Technology was like prog-thrash (still having speed metal roots) and finally they became prog-thrash with occasional heavy/avant-garde parts.
----
03.07.2010 - 16:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Written by K✞ulu on 28.06.2010 at 23:15

You mean by Voivod, or by someone else? Angel Rat sounded similar to Outer Limits, but after that came a complete change with the IMO abysmal Negatron. Outer Limits was the last Voivod album I liked.

Dimension Hatross defined Voivod for me. Loved that one BITD. The recordings from Hatross to Outer Limits are good quality. (can't remember killing technology well)

Yeah, I meant Voivod. I have listened to Dimension Hatross a few times already but probably never carefully enough (always in public transport). There are definitely some great things about this album, so I will be listening to it more. The next one I'll check out will be Nothingface I guess.

I want to listen to something reminiscent of Jack Luminous; that song is so comprehensive.

I think Voivod is truly a great band at least because they've got their own sound: the heavy upper register usage is their trademark I guess. And those screaming high-pitched distorted chords... that reminds me of Chuck Schuldiner's soloing...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.07.2010 - 13:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Michel "Away" Langevin: "I don't think we've actually said this in public before, but we are writing new material as of last month. We want to give it a try and to see what we can do with this lineup and take it from there. We actually went into the studio, improvised what we were playing and recorded everything. We're picking bits and pieces that we like and will try to build a record from it. While it's going very well, I think it is too early to say whether it will turn into a full album for release."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142833

Man, I need to listen to more of their stuff before they release anything new.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.07.2010 - 17:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Seriously? Those guys should give it a break. I don't want a "Katorz III" or something. From what I read, I thought "Infini" was supposed to be their last, and a posthumous tribute to Piggy.
----
13.07.2010 - 06:53
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The last two releases have just been B-sides and already written/recorded riffs from Piggy put together by the band members, so that's why they've been poor in quality for the most part. Whatever the outcome is for their new album, it won't be bad.
13.07.2010 - 10:58
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Dangerboner on 13.07.2010 at 06:53

The last two releases have just been B-sides and already written/recorded riffs from Piggy put together by the band members, so that's why they've been poor in quality for the most part. Whatever the outcome is for their new album, it won't be bad.

Yes, I know that. Which is why I don't want another album like that. I thought they were gonna split up after the Piggy tributes. I recall reading it somewhere...
----
04.07.2015 - 23:23
drogarito

Http://agoraphobicnews.com/dan-mongrain-martyr.html Interview with Dan Mongrain
29.03.2022 - 20:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Canadian metal innovators VOIVOD have announced North American tour dates for this coming June. The trek will kick off in Trois Rivieres, Quebec on June 1, with 14 dates to follow and will wrap up on June 19 in Boston, Massachusetts.

Comments VOIVOD drummer Michel "Away" Langevin: "At last! After more than two years without touring, we are finally hitting the road in June 2022 in North America. We are thrilled to play the Decibel Magazine Metal & Beer Fest. It will also be exciting for us to play songs from [our new album] 'Synchro Anarchy' for the first time live! We can't wait to see our old Voïvodian friends again and meet some new ones. See you then!"

Tour dates:

June 01 - Trois Rivieres, QC - L'Entité
June 02 - Ottawa, ON - Bronson Centre Music Theatre
June 03 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre
June 04 - London, ON - The Music Hall
June 05 - Detroit, MI - Small's
June 06 - Chicago, IL - Reggie's
June 08 - Huntington, WV - The Loud
June 09 - Columbus, OH - Ace of Cups
June 10 - Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore (Decibel Magazine Metal and Beer Festival)
June 11 - Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
June 13 - Pittsburgh, PA - Crafthouse
June 14 - Buffalo, NY - Rec Room
June 15 - Cleveland, OH - Grog Shop
June 17 - Brooklyn, NY - Market Hotel
June 18 - Liverpool, NY - Sharkey's
June 19 - Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing