Metal Storm logo
Best guitarist of solo albums

Original post

Posted by Yossarian, 11.05.2009 - 11:42
Hi all,

I know that there are already some polls about this feature. But I am focusing here just in guitarists that have produced and are known mainly by their solo albums. I am quite enthusiastic about knowing your thoughts about who is the most skilled out of these 9. Please consider everything related to technique: speed, use of distortion and pedals, elegance, difficulty in shredding... and take also into account their feeling while playing and all issues in general. There is another poll containing some of these nine, but Michael Angelo, Vinnie, Tony and Joe are not featured and they are quite important in the "axe" scene.
Now I have to say that there are others such as Joey Tafolla, Jason Becker, Michael Lee Firkins, Jose Luis Pizarro... that I have not included because they are not so popular and there are many great guitarists playing in their own bands or delivering not mainly instrumental albums such as Petrucci, Van Halen, James Murphy, Skolnick... and many others from another time: Buckethead, Dimebag, Akira Tabayashi, Ritchie Blackmore, Paul Quinn -Saxon-, Michael Schenker, Adrian Vandenberg and all Ozzy, Dio and Thin Lizzy guitarists.

I knew Yngwie in 1987, and IMO he is still the best Axe composing sung songs as in Marching Out, Odissey..., then Satriani, close later Vai after playing in Whitesnake and showing himself in the film "Crossroads" with "Karate Kid" back in @1989. I knew Vinnie from Vicious Rumors, Paul Gilbert from Racer X and Jason-Marty from Cacophony. Macalpine and Michael Angelo came into scene some time after and, finally, I listened Eric Johnson after being part of G3 most recently. I used to be fan of Satriani until I watched him together with Vai in the same concert "Leyendas de la Guitarra" in Seville 1992. After that, Vai has been my favourite and, despite how good are the others, with difference.

Well, what is your choice?

Poll

What is your favourite guitarrist out of these 9 axes?

Marty Friedman
Joe Satriani
Yngwie
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Michael Angelo Batio
Tony MaCalpine
Vinnie Moore
Eric Johnson

Total votes: 106
06.04.2010 - 21:07
Yossarian

Megadeth are making a reunion tour from Rust in Peace, so perhaps you will be able to see Marty live.
03.04.2011 - 23:27
blacktooth85

Joe
04.04.2011 - 03:45
renai

Vinnie moore, really love his style.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
04.04.2011 - 04:17
MetalSpider

I don't really listen to a lot of solo guitarists.

Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman and Satriani are all awesome.

I personally prefer the music of Jeff Loomis. Keith Merrow is another guitarist who writes some bad ass music. Buckethead is also really damn good! And he writes some strange but interesting music.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
04.04.2011 - 17:36
Yasmine

I don't think buckethead touches Broderick, Batio, or Rusty Cooley, I'm just saying. His stuff is certainly neat, and he's very good. But not in the same league as Batio. I went for Gilbert because I've seen him do some really really messed up stuff live. lol

Also we obviously have a lot of Megadeth fans cause Marty also isn't in the same breath as Batio, etc.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
15.01.2012 - 08:28
Yossarian

Comon guys. Vai still third?.
15.01.2012 - 15:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
And Satriani still second. I don't understand.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.01.2012 - 23:19
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Ive really only heard saatriani, so I voted for him.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.01.2012 - 00:58
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Yossarian on 06.04.2010 at 21:07

Megadeth are making a reunion tour from Rust in Peace, so perhaps you will be able to see Marty live.

Is that different from the Jagermeister tour from 2010? Because I saw Megadeth on that tour and it was the Rust in Peace 20th Anniversary and there was no Marty. But still a righteous concert no doubt.
19.01.2012 - 19:03
Yossarian

Written by Guest on 16.01.2012 at 00:58

Written by Yossarian on 06.04.2010 at 21:07

Is that different from the Jagermeister tour from 2010? Because I saw Megadeth on that tour and it was the Rust in Peace 20th Anniversary and there was no Marty. But still a righteous concert no doubt.

Sorry man. I have no idea. Sometime around last year I heard about a reunion with the R.I.P. formation and never heard about that since. Anyways Marty appears to be happy with his japanese tv career, so who knows if he will be interested
28.03.2013 - 16:41
Jtbmetal123

Buckethead kills all of them.
28.03.2013 - 18:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Santana.
04.07.2014 - 13:27
Yossarian

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 28.03.2013 at 16:41

Buckethead kills all of them.

hahaha. If he hits them with the bucket most probably...
05.11.2022 - 21:42
Joppe
Steelemeister
Mark Shelton's Magik album. One of the few instrumental/shred albums that I can manage to listen from beginning to end.
----
My vision is augmented