Metal Storm logo
Savatage's best album?

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 25.07.2006 - 06:37
I must say Savatage is most definitley my fav. prog. metal group,and in my top fav. groups period,they have released so much great material.The only Savatge album I dont care for is their cheesy album "Fight For The Rock".Anyway though my opinion changes alot,as of now "Streets" is my favorite,it has the most variety out of all of the albums.It contains beautiful songs such as "Heal My Soul","A little To Far", and "Believe" and has some classic heavy songs like "Jesus Saves","Streets" and "Strange Reality".Like I said before I prefer Zak Stevens or Jon Oliva,but Jon is amazing on this album.So which is your all time favorite?

Poll

in your opinon

Hall Of the Mountain King
Gutter Ballet
Streets
Edge Of Thorns
Dead Winter Dead
Wake Of Magellan
other
Handful Of Rain
Poets & Madmen

Total votes: 122
01.05.2017 - 08:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
You tripping over words like "o forwward" and " thinkning", Marcel.

Are you drinking Heineken again?!
01.05.2017 - 11:13
Ganondox

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.05.2017 at 07:29

Written by Ganondox on 19.04.2017 at 04:30

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.04.2017 at 11:16

Written by Ganondox on 18.04.2017 at 09:12

Oh common, Hall of the Mountain King is FAR from their best album. It's mainly just overrated due to the popularity of the music video.

Hall Of The Mountain King is their best, closely followed by Sirens and Gutter Ballet, although quite a few people will argue that those two are better. Those three are far removed from the quality of their other albums. Even though Streets and Power Of The Night are also very good.

No it is not, but it's not like I ever cared for your tastes anyway. While it's a solid album, it lacks Gutter Ballet's symphonic innovations, or the emotional depth of Streets and onward. Doesn't even have the unique stuff about Sirens. It's really just another early power metal metal album. Sure, it's far from their worst album as well, but focusing on it overshadows what is actually significant about Savatage.

The video wasn't popular at the time at all. But of course you wouldn't know that. Their music at the time was o forwward thinking in the power metal scene kids like you can't even imagine that nowadays. Hall Of The Mountain King was much more forward thinkning than most of their stuff afterwards (except Guttaer Ballet).

Apparently it was "In 1987, Savatage released their first commercially successful album, Hall of the Mountain King, which became the base for the band rising into a more mainstream arena. The band recorded their first music video for the album's title song, which received extensive air play on MTV's Headbangers Ball and was followed up by a video for the song "24 Hours Ago". "

Unfortunately Wikipedia has no source for that particular claim, but you can probably look through the log of Headbanger's Ball to confirm it. I don't need to be around then to do research. I don't care if it's "forwward thinking", whatever dafuq that's supposed to mean, I care if stands the test of time as something unique, and it doesn't.
05.11.2022 - 21:03
Joppe
Steelemeister
This is a tough one because Hall Of the Mountain King and Gutter Ballet are both great but not totally same genre. I will vote Gutter Ballet, but I think a tie would be better.
----
My vision is augmented
05.11.2022 - 23:00
Redel

1. Gutter Ballet
2. A tie for Hall of the Mountain King and Handful of Rain
16.06.2023 - 06:41
I voted for Hall of the Mountain King.