Top 20 albums of 1998: 13

Additional info
Recorded at Caverock Studio by Tero Kinnunen in August - October '98
Mixed at Finnvox studios by Mikko Karmila
Mastered at Finnvox studios by Mika Jussila
Artwork by Maria Sandell
Photo by Toni Härkönen

The limited edition digipack has "Nightquest" (4:16) and "Passion And The
Opera" (single edit) (3:35) instead of the last three tracks.

The 2004 digipack CD re-release by Spinefarm Records has only "Sleeping Sun" as bonus track.

The Drakkar-pressing of the CD contains only Sleeping Sun as a bonus track and also comes with diffrent coverart

Staff review by
Deadsoulman
Rating:
It's always hard to be objective when you talk about one of your favourite bands.I can's pretend I am going to be objective here, because I like this band so much.

The most noticeable thing with Nightwish is that everything lays on Tarja Turunen's fragile shoulders. And as her voice is perfect, everything works, even better than on the first album Angels Fall First. Compared to this one, Oceanborn is heavier, more varied and has, of course, a better sound, and finally Tuomas Holopainen decided to stop singing (his voice scared me when I first heard Angels Fall First): he who writes everything, and has stunning keyboard sounds decided to let Tarja do the job.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
Oceanborn - for many people the highlight of Nightwish's discography. This is a very hard album to review for me - I've had it for several years and I'm still not sure what I think about it. On some points Oceanborn is a masterpiece with ten points out of ten - I'll describe how first.

The material itself on this album is pure professionalism - song structures are all interesting and the only song I find to be bad is 'Swanheart' which always manages to bore me. Guitars are interesting, the keyboards are almost virtuoso and the performance is overall top notch. There's a lot of instrumental passages through the tracks which provide a lot; they take the music away from the deep, deep swamp of 'verse-bridge-refrain-repeat-solo-refrain-end'. I can't really find any tracks that are better than the others and for me there are no real hits here. That is the main reason why this album isn't perfect.

Read more ››
published 07.07.2008 | Comments (17)

Guest review by
Account deleted
Rating:
Oceanborn. What's in a title? A lot. Purity and innocence are words that describe someone who is born in - or from - an ocean. There is a sweet innocence to Nightwish's 2nd album that can not be found in the later albums or on the previous one. "Dark Passion Play," "Nymphomaniac Fantasy," "She is my Sin," "Slaying the Dreamer" - what's in a title? That's not to say Oceanborn doesn't have its darker themes, too, they just aren't overwhelming. When I listen to the album as a whole, it is a solemn, but joyful experience. I get the feeling that Tuomas and the band really enjoyed making this album and made it for themselves. Back then, their music was still in the foreground and business was somewhere on the background, not even in clear focus. They didn't have the troubles and responsibilities they now carry, they were young and free.

Read more ››
published 24.04.2010 | Comments (16)

Found in 86 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 1760 users
24.12.2009 - 00:59
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am missing the bonus tracks on release i was able to get...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.05.2010 - 14:10
Justicelust
This album's bonus release "sleeping sun" is their best song during Tarja's reign IMO.
24.08.2010 - 01:52
Rating: 10
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
You know, with all of those Tarja vs Annete arguments, I'll jump in with a third opinion: none of the above. Loving the Moondance instrumental
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
15.02.2011 - 15:02
Obaida
This is a Masterpiece !
----
If a writer wrote merely for his time,
I would have to break my pen and throw it away ..
20.02.2011 - 18:57
Cryzpin
Really masterpiece, the songwriting with Tarja's voice is just devastating, probably the best symphonic metal I have ever heard. Essential.
15.01.2012 - 15:31
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid
I really like the sound on this album, it gives off a very classical overtone. That and tarja's voice is angelic, but i needn't go there anyway;)

The only weak song i can find is the edit version of 'Phantom and the opera', which, when shortened, cuts the flow of the album a bit. But that isn't anything serious. Brilliant album\m/
15.01.2012 - 15:41
Kenos
Account deleted
Their best work.
02.03.2012 - 00:01
Rating: 7
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
I like it... but its not my favorite..

To me "Once" is their masterpiece, after listening to the polished perfection of Once this album seems Demo-ish. The worst part are the keys, they sound incredibly dated, somewhat cheesy and just dont fill the void of orchestration. If they used a real symphony or even just had better synths i think i would love this album.

also like I Eat God said, the vocals dont blend smoothly all the way through and the guitars are just a bit too flamboyant.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
28.03.2012 - 16:31
Vonpire
Not bad but too cheesy for my taste.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
28.03.2012 - 17:32
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Vonpire on 28.03.2012 at 16:31

Not bad but too cheesy for my taste.

Really? Leaving aside the fact that it is a cheesy band, I see this one as the least cheesy album they have released.
With later albums Tuomas's lyrics got even more poetic or whatever.
28.03.2012 - 18:45
Vonpire
I think it's the keys that are cheesy , as AngelofDeth said before. I don't know. I try but I can't seem to get into Nightwish. For you to see my favorite album from them is the first one

Ok I listened to this again an I like it a little but more
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
06.09.2012 - 20:58
Evil Chip
The best album of this band. Never cared much about htier other material rather than fistful of songs.
06.09.2012 - 23:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont think it is their best...i think they managed to evolve even a bit more with further albums up to (and excluding) Once (although Once itself contains my all time most favorite track by them)
----

25.09.2012 - 23:58
serega25
This album is pure magic... and light!!! Forever hail Nightwish!!!!
11.01.2013 - 09:48
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
This is my favourite Nightwish work and I doubt they'll ever be able to release an album I will like more. Maybe because it's the most romantic-sounding which was what turned my attention towards this band in the first place.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
05.03.2013 - 10:52
Rhiannon
Account deleted
I agree, it's really the best Nightwish album. Quality power metal songs with Tarja's great vocals. Strangely I didn't like this for a long time, thought all songs sound the same, and preferred Once, but I was wrong. This is the sound that made Nightwish unique and famous. Other bands like Visions of Atlantis tried to copy it, but didn't even came close. I just love the keyboards, the guitar work, and the whole atmosphere of the songs. And this is Tarja's best vocal performance ever, especially on Stargazers and Passion And The Opera.
03.05.2013 - 22:02
dinualin94
Account deleted
This album is a masterpiece
06.05.2013 - 02:03
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
My favourite Nightwish album. The songs are strong, they vary enough (unlike Wishmaster where a couple of songs sound very similar) to keep the listener interested and there are curveballs like the second half of "Passion and the Opera". It even manages to be fun ("Moondance"). "The Riddler" comes dangerously close to filler territory though.

The ending of "Swanheart" where the vocals enter and 'lift' the guitar solo is one of my favourite Nightwish moments. Beautiful.
28.11.2013 - 20:05
Rating: 1
salah mustain
Boriiiiiiiiiiing
04.01.2014 - 22:02
xName
Awesoooom!!
28.04.2014 - 13:37
Rating: 4
Sang Dalang Abu
Wow Great
17.05.2014 - 21:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 24.12.2009 at 00:59

Try youtube
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.05.2014 - 21:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Still good album but this is NW as we know now , because we cant compare whit 1th album what was masterpiece, this is OK, but we can see band seems start use more keyboards and became more like we know, 1th was was less keys more gothic (even some doomserrs would like iNightwish - Oceanborn t , well I still think this is good, quality album good music, old school still they were young but seems somehow they walk on glory wire -----
It was 2 classic songs Sacramemnts of the wilderness and sleeping sun
----

apos;'
[image]
19.05.2014 - 06:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 17.05.2014 at 21:11
Try youtube

Did you just quote a comment from 2009?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.05.2014 - 11:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.05.2014 at 06:30

Try youtube

Did you just quote a comment from 2009?

yes
----

apos;'
[image]
11.06.2014 - 21:16
musclassia
Staff
No matter how many times I hear it, I just cannot get over how much of an amazing song Gethsemane is - even with the likes of Stargazers and Sacrament of Wilderness, and from other albums things like Ghost Love Score and Ocean Soul, it still stands as my favourite NW song. As far as the album goes, I do think the first half dominates the second half, even though The Pharaoh Sails To Orion is still a great track, but in terms of their discography its only contender for my money is Century Child, and even then it probably edges that to be their greatest album.
12.06.2014 - 22:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

Written by Ellrohir on 24.12.2009 at 00:59

Try youtube

ofc i can youtube, but i have an original CD of this...but w/o bonus tracks, although "Nightquest" is one of the best NW songs ever...
----

18.02.2020 - 22:10
Metal Rasputin
This is how I will always remember Nightwish, not as radio-friendly symphonic rock band with some old dude playing a flute or some Indian grandpa yodeling it up, but as an awesome full-blown extreme power metal so great even the best bands within the genre struggle to make anything as tasty as this. I don't think there are any weaker tracks, not a single one. Pharaoh Sails to Orion will always be my favorite song from them, the climax is especially outstanding. Tarja usually had hard time singing that part live.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
16.04.2020 - 22:50
abysss
Such an amazing album, makes you see glimpses into other dimensions.
20.06.2023 - 21:26
Rating: 7
majormalfunction
Better than the debut in every single way, it has some great tracks scattered throughout but also some that are quite easily skipable. I'm not really into symphonic power metal so this is one of the better ones i've heard in the genre.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands

Hits total: 38784 | This month: 126