Metal Storm logo
Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

8.8 | 2022 votes |
Release date: 20 July 1986
Style: Thrash metal

Owners:

2514 have it
97 want it
3 trade it

Disc I
01. Wake Up Dead
02. The Conjuring
03. Peace Sells
04. Devils Island
05. Good Mourning/Black Friday
06. Bad Omen
07. I Ain't Superstitious [Howlin' Wolf cover]
08. My Last Words
09. Wake Up Dead [Randy Burns Mix version] [2004 re-release bonus]
10. The Conjuring [Randy Burns Mix version] [2004 re-release bonus]
11. Peace Sells [Randy Burns Mix version] [2004 re-release bonus]
12. Good Mourning/Black Friday [Randy Burns Mix version] [2004 re-release bonus]

Disc II [remastered version]
01. Wake Up Dead
02. The Conjuring
03. Peace Sells
04. Devils Island
06. Bad Omen
07. I Ain't Superstitious [Willie Dixon cover]
08. My Last Words

Disc III [1987 live concert]
01. Wake Up Dead
02. The Conjuring
03. Bad Omen
04. Rattlehead
05. Killing Is My Business
06. Looking Down The Cross
07. My Last Words
08. Peace Sells
09. These Boots [Nancy Sinatra cover]
10. Devils Island
11. Loved To Deth
12. Mechanix

Disc IV [original Randy Burns mixes]
01. Wake Up Dead
02. The Conjuring
03. Peace Sells
04. Devils Island
06. Bad Omen
07. I Ain't Superstitious [Howlin' Wolf cover]
08. My Last Words

Top 20 albums of 1986: 5
Top 200 albums of all time: 126

Additional info
Remastered and expanded for its 25th anniversary, including 2CD and digital audio packages, and a deluxe 5CD+3LP box set.

The commemorative release includes new liner notes by Megadeth's Dave Mustaine and Metallica's Lars Ulrich.

Guest review by
Desecrator
Rating:
Let us revisit the year of 1986 for a moment, because this year was probably THE biggest year in the history of Thrash Metal. Three of the biggest acts in Thrash metal released what would become their most impressive works to date. That being Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets', Slayer's 'Reign In Blood' and Megadeth's 'Peace Sells...', Three massive albums that raised the bar in Thrash Metal beyond comprehension. The only difference however, is that Megadeth still had much more to offer after this release, which is why they continue to be a favourite of mine.

Read more ››
published 22.11.2008 | Comments (17)

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
"I sneak in my own house, it's four in the morning, I've had too much to drink, said I was out with the boys. I creep in my bedroom, I slip into bed, I know if I wake her I'll wake up....dead."

We all know what happens from there. Poland kicks off with an awesome fucking solo, and your brain dies from the lethal injection of metal you've just shot into your bloodstream. "Peace Sells" is the album that put Megadeth on the map. Mankind is and always will be at war with itself, much like the riffage of each instrument will be in constant competition with each other on this album. Yet ideas of peace still sell in this world. Let me ask you this, then; are you buying?

Read more ››
published 15.01.2009 | Comments (3)

Found in 127 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 61   Visited by: 2180 users
26.01.2010 - 08:01
Rating: 10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is one of my all-time favorite albums in general. But, I just heard the remastered version today, and it's not as good as the original, which I own.
26.01.2010 - 17:38
thewall30
Yeah this album is amazing, but like you said, the remastered one isn't as good...

A Megadeth classic!!!
----
10.02.2010 - 17:54
Rating: 9
elekctric
Ok all of 86' was this album ...
11.02.2010 - 17:04
Demonmayonnaise
Most people say that Rust in Peace is better than this, they're wrong, I really think this is Megadeth's best album. I think it is just an all around better album.
20.06.2010 - 13:38
Jay-WalKeR
Day 17 September 1357 in a number of men protesting the King of Iran pouring in the streets and chanting against the king to head, but people did not know that today is military rule. Jaleh Square in all of them were killed under the gun volley. "Good morning black Friday" for this event is written.
28.07.2010 - 05:28
Rating: 8
Damage inc.
This is my favorite Megadeth album it kicks ass
28.07.2010 - 14:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 11.02.2010 at 17:04

Most people say that Rust in Peace is better than this, they're wrong, I really think this is Megadeth's best album. I think it is just an all around better album.

Yeah, I think so too.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
28.07.2010 - 15:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 14:45

Yeah, I think so too.

Me too.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2010 - 23:31
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Amazing album, always makes me accidentally spill beer on my keyboard while headbanging
25.04.2011 - 05:38
Rating: 6
rise447
For some obscure reason, i just never could get into this album.
The tracks are quite the same.
Disappointing.
27.04.2011 - 05:18
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by rise447 on 25.04.2011 at 05:38

Disappointing.

w-w-what?
02.05.2011 - 17:55
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Written by rise447 on 25.04.2011 at 05:38

Disappointing.

Blasphemy!!!
06.05.2011 - 04:55
Peace sells is the best megadeth album.Alot of people say rust in peace is the best but I say it's peace sells. From Wake Up Dead to My Last Words this album is amazing and is one of the best thrash metal albums of all time
09.07.2011 - 17:45
John Shock
Written by megametallic0710 on 06.05.2011 at 04:55

Peace sells is the best megadeth album.Alot of people say rust in peace is the best but I say it's peace sells. From Wake Up Dead to My Last Words this album is amazing and is one of the best thrash metal albums of all time

Totally agree! I hope Megadeth can do a DVD show, playing this album on it's entirely!
17.07.2011 - 22:16
Mattybu

I have to agree. Not that Rust in Peace isn't really, really good, just I find this album has some much better thrash songs, and an aggressive edge Rust in Peace didn't have as much of. As far as I'm concerned, this album is pure Megadeth doing what they do best.
28.08.2011 - 01:42
ThisIsEndgame
Perfect 10 for sure. A must own for any thrash metal fan
----
\m/ Next thing you know they'll take my thought away! \m/
13.10.2011 - 09:10
bkrownd
For whatever reason I seldom crave a listen to Peace Sells as much as Killing Is My Business or Rust In Peace. I'd put it a close #3 among Megadeth's classic trio.
03.11.2011 - 02:13
I really like this album. Definetely in my top 5 favourite megadeth albums. The guitar riffs on this album are some of my favourites to play on guitar. THRASH!!!!!!!!:devil:
12.11.2011 - 21:36
John Shock

Agree...but i have only the remaster...how it is the original?
12.11.2011 - 21:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 09.07.2011 at 17:45
Totally agree! I hope Megadeth can do a DVD show, playing this album on it's entirely!

Well, Dave has expressed doubts over whether he could ever play "The Conjuring" or "Bad Omen" again because of their lyrical content. However, in an interview he gave in July this year, he said he was interested in playing the whole album in it's entirety for the anniversary, so... I really hope it happens!

This is narrowly my fave album by Megadeth. They never sounded so genuinely menacing and threatening as they did on this album, which along with the tightly wound riffing and increased complexity just made this one of the all time classic metal albums. I remember having this album on cassette, and it was also the first album by Megadeth I heard. And even all these years later, it still sounds downright terrifying in places.

@Shock: The remastered version is worse, but then again, all of the remasters are worse, even the SFSGSW one.
12.11.2011 - 22:10
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.11.2011 at 21:59

Written by John Shock on 09.07.2011 at 17:45

Well, Dave has expressed doubts over whether he could ever play "The Conjuring" or "Bad Omen" again because of their lyrical content. However, in an interview he gave in July this year, he said he was interested in playing the whole album in it's entirety for the anniversary, so... I really hope it happens!

This is narrowly my fave album by Megadeth. They never sounded so genuinely menacing and threatening as they did on this album, which along with the tightly wound riffing and increased complexity just made this one of the all time classic metal albums. I remember having this album on cassette, and it was also the first album by Megadeth I heard. And even all these later, it still sounds downright terrifying in places.

@Shock: The remastered version is worse, but then again, all of the remasters are worse, even the SFSGSW one.

Speaking about that, I don't know why SFSGSW is so underrated...can you explain me why? ..
12.11.2011 - 22:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 12.11.2011 at 22:10
Speaking about that, I don't know why SFSGSW is so underrated...can you explain me why? ..

I'm not entirely sure, but I think there's a number of possible reasons for this. At the time of SFSGSW, the band was in serious danger of imploding, and a few dates on the following tour had to be cancelled, due to members being fired, and drug problems. The production on the album wasn't very good either, which could have been another reason why it wasn't well recieved on release. But certainly for me, ever since I first heard the album, I've loved it a lot, and see it as a continuation of a string of classic albums, rather than the blip in between 2 classic albums that a lot of people see it as.
13.11.2011 - 00:38
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.11.2011 at 22:31

Written by John Shock on 12.11.2011 at 22:10

I'm not entirely sure, but I think there's a number of possible reasons for this. At the time of SFSGSW, the band was in serious danger of imploding, and a few dates on the following tour had to be cancelled, due to members being fired, and drug problems. The production on the album wasn't very good either, which could have been another reason why it wasn't well recieved on release. But certainly for me, ever since I first heard the album, I've loved it a lot, and see it as a continuation of a string of classic albums, rather than the blip in between 2 classic albums that a lot of people see it as.

Even with those problems, i don't think that no one has the right to judge this band just because they did shit in the past...for me they're one of the best...and this album is no exception of what the band did or can do on the future!
05.01.2012 - 00:12
Novas
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 15:38

Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 14:45

Yeah, I think so too.

Me too.

Same here. It was one of my first & fav albums of metal to listen to when I was like 6yrs old, 11yrs before I even got into metal in general.
As soon as my dad plugged it in his stereo, I loved it (he's always been an 80s hair/glam/thrash guy)
The only Megadeth album he owns, still to this day too.
I love it WAY better than RIP cuz it was dark, mean & melodic.
RIP, to me, was just too short & more in the heavy metal genre...
I enjoy it more than Metallica's Puppets! ... ...

Oh & I just bought the 25th Anniversary version, it has way better remastering. Its clear like an mid-'90s album
05.01.2012 - 03:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I am sorry "Rest In Pieces" fans but THIS album is Megadeths best...as a matter of fact, by ALOT
----
rekt
21.01.2012 - 20:23
musicalkaratekid
Just...Perfect.
31.05.2012 - 22:56
neiluria
Second best album of megadeth!
pppppppppeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaccce, peaaaaaaceeee seEEeeellsss!
06.12.2012 - 23:05
megadeath13
Account deleted
Its among rust in peace the best Megadeth album. How can you write such an incredible album?
01.01.2013 - 03:31
Illog1cal
Account deleted
This is the album where Megadeth stands out from the pack. You may think the vocals are laughable at first but after a few listens you will see that they are actually part of the twisted and messed up genius of Dave Mustaine.
20.02.2013 - 22:15
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by tea[m]ster on 05.01.2012 at 03:39

I am sorry "Rest In Pieces" fans but THIS album is Megadeths best...as a matter of fact, by ALOT

I definitely have to agree.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).

Hits total: 36232 | This month: 160