+ IIII [live]
+ Wordless Knowledge [live]
+ Primul Om [slideshow]
+ Interview

Top 20 albums of 2006: 8

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Some bands are truly mesmerizing by their level of creativity. The Romanian combo known as Negura Bunget is one of them. Their unique blend of Black Metal has so many layers that it is hard to categorize them into only one style. As my first encounter with the band, 2006's OM truly convinced me of Negura Bunget abilities and it also encouraged me to look further into their discography.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2007 | Comments (21)

What? This guy is just listening to this marvel for the first time? Four years after the actual release? WTF?
Well, better late than never I guess.

Now come and experience a truly unique album. Black, folk, atmospheric, progressive, it's all that and much more. It's an emotional and spiritual journey. If I ever had a shamanic trance that's probably the music I would use to describe it.

Enough with the talking, go and check this out.

Darkside Momo's picks | More picks ››

Found in 60 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 34   Visited by: 1264 users
27.01.2010 - 22:49
Baz Anderson
Staff
This album only just clicked with me yesterday.
Great stuff, not what I would usually listen to, but worth making the effort.
02.06.2010 - 01:57
Rating: 10
advent
Never been a black metal fan, but this awesome album make an exception to me.
23.08.2010 - 21:19
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
OM nom nom nom
01.05.2011 - 18:19
Alexbridger
Briliant album !
05.08.2011 - 13:47
AXA
Great album this album an exception in folk black metal i think awesome work
09.09.2011 - 18:55
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
I don't think I've heard a black metal album with an atmosphere quite as mesmerizing as this.
10.12.2011 - 07:47
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by R'Vannith on 09.09.2011 at 18:55

I don't think I've heard a black metal album with an atmosphere quite as mesmerizing as this.

You havn't.
10.12.2011 - 20:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by JÄY on 10.12.2011 at 07:47
You havn't.

Atmosphere is a pretty subjective term but I for one can name about 50 albums that I think have a "better" atmosphere than this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.12.2011 - 20:51
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.12.2011 at 20:10

Written by JÄY on 10.12.2011 at 07:47
You havn't.

Atmosphere is a pretty subjective term but I for one can name about 50 albums that I think have a "better" atmosphere than this.

Go on...
10.12.2011 - 21:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 10.12.2011 at 20:51
Go on...

Oh dear, there's so many. ;_;

Xasthur, Leviathan, Burzum, Summoning, Imperium Dekadenz, Fell Voices, Gris, Nytalgia, Forteresse, Alda, Krohm, Blutklinge, Lunar Aurora, Raventale, Darkspace, The Ruins of Beverast, Lurker of Chalice, Sun of the Bind, Chaos Moon, Svikt... not 50 bands off the bat but those are ones that come to mind.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.01.2012 - 19:38
musicalkaratekid
A lot of otherwordly instruments in here, for a greater cause, that cause being the creation of one of the most thought-provoking 'folk' black metal releases ever. Actually, fuck the genres, this album is in a world of its own.
03.03.2012 - 05:52
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.12.2011 at 21:38

Written by Introspekrieg on 10.12.2011 at 20:51
Go on...

Oh dear, there's so many. ;_;

Xasthur, Leviathan, Burzum, Summoning, Imperium Dekadenz, Fell Voices, Gris, Nytalgia, Forteresse, Alda, Krohm, Blutklinge, Lunar Aurora, Raventale, Darkspace, The Ruins of Beverast, Lurker of Chalice, Sun of the Bind, Chaos Moon, Svikt... not 50 bands off the bat but those are ones that come to mind.

Drudkh, The Axis of perdition, In The woods... ,Ulver, Agalloch, Wolves in the throne room, Woods of desolation, Graveland, Abruptum, Bethlehem, Fen, Blut Aus Nord, Altar of plagues, Walknut, A forest of stars, Wyrd.
17.05.2013 - 13:01
RealEyes
This is in the top. 9.5/10
08.11.2013 - 18:55
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This album just gets better every time I listen to it, a masterpiece.
20.11.2013 - 15:34
Overrated
20.11.2013 - 15:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by NorthernDickhead on 20.11.2013 at 15:34
Overrated

Care to explain why you feel that way?
----
20.11.2013 - 16:03
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2013 at 15:55

Written by NorthernDickhead on 20.11.2013 at 15:34
Overrated

Care to explain why you feel that way?

Could give it 8,but 8.9 is too much. It's good album. Atmosphere,sounds,vocals blablabla are good,but not AWESOME as the rating tell. Of course this is only my opinion....
20.11.2013 - 16:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by NorthernDickhead on 20.11.2013 at 16:03
Of course this is only my opinion...

And you're entitled to it - we here at Metal Storm appreciate it when you elaborate on an opinion rather than just typing "overrated", though.

I personally agree with you to be honest. I've listened through NB's entire discography on a few occasions, giving this album special attention due to its praise. I'd probably even score it lower than you, maybe a 7, since I can't get on board with the infusion of Romanian folk elements. I'm more of a Măiastru sfetnic kind of guy.
----
20.11.2013 - 16:18
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2013 at 16:08

Written by NorthernDickhead on 20.11.2013 at 16:03
Of course this is only my opinion...

And you're entitled to it - we here at Metal Storm appreciate it when you elaborate on an opinion rather than just typing "overrated", though.

But don't you think that "brilliant album" or "good album" are kinda same answers like "overrated". Can't say that my comment was good but those are same shit
20.11.2013 - 16:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by NorthernDickhead on 20.11.2013 at 16:18
But don't you think that "brilliant album" or "good album" are kinda same answers like "overrated". Can't say that my comment was good but those are same shit

Agreed - and even if comments like that are used to describe an album like this, we encourage everyone to provide a little more information on the topic at hand.

Don't worry, I'm not picking on you. I've only recently rejoined the site and happened to catch a one-word response (somewhat of a pet peeve considering we're all supposed to be overly opinionated and stubborn feces-flinging asshole metalheads who know everything and are always right).
----
20.11.2013 - 20:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think this album's main problem is the production. I think if it were remixed and softened up a little I would rate this a lot higher.
07.02.2014 - 12:42
BloodMusic
Negura Bunget "Om" + "Inarborat Kosmos" VINYL

PRE-ORDER: February 12th at 5PM Finnish time (10AM NYC).

Blood Music will soon be releasing ultra-limited deluxe edition 2xLPs from the one of the greatest and most well-respected atmospheric black metal bands of all-time. Negură Bunget's breakthrough masterwork -- "Om" and accompanying EP "Inarborat Kosmos" -- will come to special edition vinyl.

The vinyl packages will include high resolution audio remasters made with a professional engineer in the band's own studio, heavyweight vinyl, and ultra-limited numbers in special edition layouts.

Negură Bunget "Om" 2xLP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqAv_h2lswo

* Ultra-limited edition of 200 Clear/White Splatter vinyl.
* Ultra-limited edition of 100 Black vinyl.
* Pressed onto 180-gram+ vinyl.
* Mastered for vinyl by Negură Bunget and their personal engineer at Negura Music in Timisoara, Romania.
* 350gsm heavyweight board triple gatefold jacket, featuring a brand new special edition layout, created by Negru.
* Inner jacket printing.
* Black inner sleeves.

Negură Bunget "Inarborat Kosmos" LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_X_MndEv4

* Ultra-limited edition of 200 Transparent Green vinyl.
* Ultra-limited edition of 100 Black vinyl.
* Pressed onto 180-gram+ vinyl at 45RPM for higher fidelity.
* Mastered for vinyl by Negură Bunget and their personal engineer at Negura Music in Timisoara, Romania.
* 350gsm heavyweight board single-pocket jacket, featuring a brand new layout, created by Negru.
* Inner jacket printing.
* Black inner sleeves.
----
*Available: maudlin of the Well/Lykathea Aflame/Ihsahn*

Coming soon: Sigh, Manii, Odium, Kauan, Aquilus, Negura Bunget, Thy Catafalque, Ne Obliviscaris, Strapping Young Lad

Blood Music
http://www.blood-music.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic
23.05.2014 - 18:24
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah, first time listening to this since 2008, and it still deserves my vote of 9. Damn fine music.
22.08.2015 - 05:06
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Transcendental black metal eh?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.11.2016 - 18:41
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
Starting to think that my initial reaction of "OMG Squeeee 10/10" was more than a little off. I still think it is a good album, but now when I listen to it, it is a matter of suffering through a lot of boring parts to get to the parts that are amazing like the clean vocals in Cunoașterea tăcută or some of the more interesting chord progressions in a couple of songs. Some of the longer synth parts actually annoy me now. I like synths in atmospheric black metal and black metal in general, but only when they aren't in my face, but instead are used to subtly enhance the atmosphere. The atmosphere and native instruments, the bells and whistles and tricks also don't do a particularly good job of hiding how the guitars aren't doing anything interesting most of the time, some truly boring riffs on this album. Might have to lower my score to a 7 at some point, still not sure...
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
10.06.2017 - 04:49
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Metren on 12.11.2016 at 18:41

when I listen to it, it is a matter of suffering through a lot of boring parts to get to the parts that are amazing or some of the more interesting chord progressions in a couple of songs.
The atmosphere and native instruments, the bells and whistles and tricks also don't do a particularly good job of hiding how the guitars aren't doing anything interesting most of the time, some truly boring riffs on this album. M

Those two phrases explain why I don't like this album very much. Good to see at least someone acknowledges them. So far I was being called the odd one out in ms because I don't seem to overhype this album as much as the others

There are a lot of albums better than this one, imo. Even some other Negura Bunget albums are better, really. I don't see why it is viewed as legendary as it is
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.06.2017 - 15:22
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Karlabos on 10.06.2017 at 04:49

Those two phrases explain why I don't like this album very much. Good to see at least someone acknowledges them. So far I was being called the odd one out in ms because I don't seem to overhype this album as much as the others

It's one of those albums that just doesn't age very well at all. Next to "Griseus" this is my most "what the hell did I like it so much for at first" album on MS, when it comes to BM.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
11.06.2017 - 22:16
solar
My second time listening to OM today, and it's ripe as ever. Perfect dark atmosphere that makes you feel you're wandering alone through the Carpathian mountains just as the sun is about to go down. It invokes a sense of horror, loneliness and decline. Seems like the soundtrack to the end of the universe. Remind me to revisit this album many times later.
28.07.2017 - 01:26
Nick Carter
I don't find anything particulary great about this album. I may be wrong, but i just find it plain.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
16.02.2018 - 22:38
Aries Rising
One of the most overrated BM albums out there.

Hits total: 25306 | This month: 59