03. Don't Run For Cover
04. Dr. Stein [2002 remix version]
05. Keeper Of The Seven Keys [2002 remix version]

Top 20 albums of 1988: 3
Top 200 albums of all time: 29

Staff review by
wrathchild
Rating:
So after the worldwide success of Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part I in 1987, Part II was released the following year, and the combination of the two (the band's first wish was to release a double album) gave the band its legend status.

On this album you'll find some of the most known songs of the band, such as Eagle Fly Free, Dr Stein, I want out, and of course Keeper Of The Seven Keys. But all the other tracks are good and have some interest, with great riffs & solos, as well as catchy choruses to sing along. Try March Of Time for example, there's actually no musical reason for such a track to be less famous than I Want Out, it's just that the latter was made a single for the album, like Dr Stein. Oh yeah, there are some funny stuff too, like in Rise And Fall.

Read more ››
published 01.12.2003 | Comments (21)

Found in 82 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 82   Visited by: 1897 users
10.11.2019 - 14:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.11.2019 at 20:06

When Kiske holds the note for like 30 seconds on I want Out >>>>>>

Their best song ever
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.11.2019 - 11:42
Rating: 5
gavdann
Keeper II really divided opinion at the time and still does today. I bought it on the day it came out and it was a massive disappointment to me. I went off the band quite soon after that.

It has moments. Eagle Fly Free was a strong opener and I Want Out was a fine single but for me it's inferior in every way to Keeper I.
12.11.2019 - 18:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by gavdann on 12.11.2019 at 11:42

Keeper II really divided opinion at the time and still does today. I bought it on the day it came out and it was a massive disappointment to me. I went off the band quite soon after that.

It has moments. Eagle Fly Free was a strong opener and I Want Out was a fine single but for me it's inferior in every way to Keeper I.

Maybe best sings band ever created.....talw does not sound right
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2020 - 15:32
Rating: 10
Mountain King
K i K o
Funny to see Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son rated higher than this. None of the Maiden albums come close to this one. When there is public consent on an album then nobody is shy to high vote and praise a power metal album, all of a sudden power metal is acceptable. If this was released today or 10 years ago, everyone would bash it as "euro flower metal" although I don't see that flower here. Just because not all songs have satan or aggressive tendencies doesn't make an album cheesy, fluffy, flowery or weak. I think it's the other way around, the stronger you force your music, the less quality you have and you need to compensate with big ball riffs and aggressive screams.
28.02.2020 - 16:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mountain King on 28.02.2020 at 15:32

Funny to see Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son rated higher than this. None of the Maiden albums come close to this one. When there is public consent on an album then nobody is shy to high vote and praise a power metal album, all of a sudden power metal is acceptable. If this was released today or 10 years ago, everyone would bash it as "euro flower metal" although I don't see that flower here. Just because not all songs have satan or aggressive tendencies doesn't make an album cheesy, fluffy, flowery or weak. I think it's the other way around, the stronger you force your music, the less quality you have and you need to compensate with big ball riffs and aggressive screams.

Maiden has recorded all albums whit out last 2 better as this band
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2020 - 16:05
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2020 at 16:02

Maiden has recorded all albums whit out last 2 better as this band

I would say that it is subjective, Maiden had the advantage of being earlier however, Seventh Son & Keeper II came out in the same year so there is no time advantage. And the obvious winner is Helloween in this case, Seventh Son was another Maiden album while Keeper was a breakthrough album that defined Euro Power Metal.
28.02.2020 - 16:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mountain King on 28.02.2020 at 16:05

I would say that it is subjective, Maiden had the advantage of being earlier however, Seventh Son & Keeper II came out in the same year so there is no time advantage. And the obvious winner is Helloween in this case, Seventh Son was another Maiden album while Keeper was a breakthrough album that defined Euro Power Metal.

Helloween are good in last 3 4 albums, imo im always has been better, they had unique sound and intelectusl line up.... They nailed whole nwobhm thing whit saxon n moyorhead, rest died, but Helloween survive 90 s as well...
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2020 - 16:21
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2020 at 16:12

Helloween are good in last 3 4 albums, imo im always has been better, they had unique sound and intelectusl line up.... They nailed whole nwobhm thing whit saxon n moyorhead, rest died, but Helloween survive 90 s as well...

Definitely agree with that
28.02.2020 - 16:23
JoHn Doe
Quote:
Written by Mountain King on 28.02.2020 at 16:21

Definitely agree with that

you understood what he said?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
28.02.2020 - 16:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Yes i did, but euro pm has better albums
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2020 - 16:48
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2020 at 16:41

ROFLMAO
I was asking Mountain King whether he understood what you said.
I didn't.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
28.02.2020 - 16:58
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by JoHn Doe on 28.02.2020 at 16:48

Written by Bad English on 28.02.2020 at 16:41

ROFLMAO
I was asking Mountain King whether he understood what you said.
I didn't.

I guess he meant that Helloween's last 3-4 albums were good but Iron Maiden have always been better (which I don't agree with). What I agreed on was that Helloween made quality albums in the 90's while other famous bands like IM failed miserably (except Fear Of The Dark).
28.02.2020 - 19:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mountain King on 28.02.2020 at 16:58

I guess he meant that Helloween's last 3-4 albums were good but Iron Maiden have always been better (which I don't agree with). What I agreed on was that Helloween made quality albums in the 90's while other famous bands like IM failed miserably (except Fear Of The Dark).

Whole im chataloge is better as Helloween in 80 IMO, maidn has good songs always, i love later Helloween from time to the oath to latest.
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2020 - 23:24
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2020 at 19:00

Whole im chataloge is better as Helloween in 80 IMO, maidn has good songs always, i love later Helloween from time to the oath to latest.

Keepers are better than any IM album in the 80's. Let's end it here, everyone has a different opinion.
29.02.2020 - 00:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I Never was fan of walls and keeoer back in time, but I was in fan, now apriciate more those albums. Maybe pm was not my Gengre but i start to like it. But i prefer later Helloween. I end whit this, if new bands will write so good album now, i will stop Posting, non new band cant do Specially if it lives 30 years, this album never will die and lives 50 years till
----

apos;'
[image]
29.02.2020 - 00:45
Maco
Pvt Funderground
They started to fuck it all up with this album. Previous two are still the classics.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
29.02.2020 - 10:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Maco on 29.02.2020 at 00:45

They started to fuck it all up with this album. Previous two are still the classics.

In some way Yes but whit oath they fixed and was better
----

apos;'
[image]
06.03.2020 - 09:02
Rating: 8
ATG
Written by Mountain King on 28.02.2020 at 23:24

Keepers are better than any IM album in the 80's. Let's end it here, everyone has a different opinion.

Nothing Helloween did was better than Iron Maiden in the 80s the keeper albums are overrated get your heads out of your asses

Seventh Son Of A Son introduced progressive elements and Iron Maiden introduced the power metal scene in Europe Helloween copied it and made it faster get over it fanboys
06.03.2020 - 10:11
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by ATG on 06.03.2020 at 09:02

Nothing Helloween did was better than Iron Maiden in the 80s the keeper albums are overrated get your heads out of your asses

Seventh Son Of A Son introduced progressive elements and Iron Maiden introduced the power metal scene in Europe Helloween copied it and made it faster get over it fanboys

You speak of this as a holy fact whereas every person is entitled to their opinion. I am a fan of multiple bands and not just Helloween. When a Helloween album sucks I say it, no problem.
Now if you want to make unbiased judgements on the 2 albums that we were comparing then, Michael Kiske beats the shit out of Bruce in the vocal area (and as time pass by, the difference is even better since Bruce can barely sing now but Kiske is one of the best metal singers to date). I also saw Iron Maiden live and Helloween and Helloween were better. Keeper is more technical in terms of composition (Iron Maiden have used the same 3 chords in the past 40 years) and instruments than Seven Sons. The only thing that Iron Maiden might have better are the lyrics which is logical since they are singing in their native language.
06.03.2020 - 11:28
nikarg
Staff
Everyone, trim your quotes ffs. Quote only the sentence(s) you are replying to, it's very easy. I did it for you now Mountain King and AlexanderTG, next time I won't bother and will just delete your comments.

Written by ATG on 06.03.2020 at 09:02

Seventh Son came out in 1988 and so did the second Keeper. Seventh Son has nothing to do with power metal, it is one of the best heavy metal albums of all time though. Just like both Keeper albums are masterpieces of power metal. Comparing the two bands is plain ridiculous. It's like comparing apples and pears.

Written by Mountain King on 06.03.2020 at 10:11

Now if you want to make unbiased judgements on the 2 albums that we were comparing then, Michael Kiske beats the shit out of Bruce in the vocal area (and as time pass by, the difference is even better since Bruce can barely sing now but Kiske is one of the best metal singers to date). I also saw Iron Maiden live and Helloween and Helloween were better. Keeper is more technical in terms of composition (Iron Maiden have used the same 3 chords in the past 40 years) and instruments than Seven Sons.

Lol at "unbiased judgement". Dickinson is 10 years older than Kiske and he had throat cancer. His voice still kicks ass but of course nowadays Kiske sounds better. You should have seen them in their prime and then compare them. Both singers are equally awesome. As far as the Seventh Son and Keeper comparison goes, I already commented above.
06.03.2020 - 12:41
Rating: 5
gavdann
Keeper II isn't fit to lick the sweat from the balls of Seventh Son and Seventh Son isn't even close to being Maiden's best album IMO.
06.03.2020 - 13:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
2 people mail it, each Maiden album till brave new world are killer, even blaze era. Last 2 and killer are bad ones. Today Helloween is hm, Plays good musis, but like I said this is way to long as Maiden
----

apos;'
[image]
06.03.2020 - 19:07
ATG
There is nothing Helloween has done that every other power metal band has done 10 times better, every Blind Guardian album from 1990 - 1999, Stratovarius' Visions, Iced Earth Burnt Offerings, Rhapsody Of Fires Symphony Of Enchanted Lands slaughter this album, along with everything Kai did in Gamma Ray from mid 90s to 2000s (Land Of The Free, Somewhere Out In Space. You're over hyping them, and I'm saying I've never once listened to Helloween and had it pull me in that made me wanna listen like Iron Maiden, you do realize what Helloween did was just take Maiden and play faster so that's hilarious that you think Iron Maiden only plays 3 chords cause nothing in power metal is diverse besides the solos. And at the time Yngwie Malmsteen was already shredding the scene with neo classical all they did was combine the two sounds not that creative unlike the creation of Norwegian Black Metal by Burzum, Darkthrone and Mayhem

Kiske is okay but his enunciation is terrible, I could name 5 power metal singers that crush him, and yeah Helloweens lyrics are terrible and thats half the reason I cant stand the early shit, I like there newer stuff more but anyways hes okay now that hes older on Avantasia but sorry Bruce does have a better voice and was a better singer by far, I'd rather hear Bruce any day, Kiske gets annoying and drawn out after about one or two songs. I'm saying this because power metal is one of my main genres and no matter how hard I try I'm sorry early Helloween sounds like ass and only a handful of songs can I honestly say are worth listening to from that era or these Keeper albums that are praised, I literally just listened to this the other night its mediocre at best and every power metal band since has output at least one album that was better than these are. Also I've seen both live and I dont know Maiden show you saw to say Helloween live is better but that's ridiculous, cause Maiden crushes Helloween live, you're obviously a hardcore fan boy, I'm diverse enough in the genre to think this album is better than anything Iron Maiden did from 81-88 is subjective and ignorant.

Seventh Son annihilates this album since everyone is entitled to there own opinion, go check out the voted on Seventh Son notice how it has way more votes and its voted higher? Argument over
06.03.2020 - 19:45
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Walls Of Jericho > 90% of the early German Power Metal scene.

This album is quite overrated tho.
----
06.03.2020 - 20:04
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Maco on 06.03.2020 at 19:45

What're your thoughts on the S/T ep?
----
My vision is augmented
06.03.2020 - 20:07
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Joppe on 06.03.2020 at 20:04

What're your thoughts on the S/T ep?

It's a fun little EP. Not as good as Walls tho.
----
10.03.2020 - 03:08
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by nikarg on 06.03.2020 at 11:28

Dickinson is 10 years older than Kiske and he was operated on for brain tumor. His voice still kicks ass but of course nowadays Kiske sounds better. You should have seen them in their prime and then compare them. Both singers are equally awesome.

Indeed. But to add one more thing: Kiske himself acknowledged in an interview that one of the reasons he still has such a strong voice is that he didn't tour it to death.

Dickinson had an insane touring schedule for the first 10 years he was in Maiden. And it's not like they stopped touring after he returned.
19.05.2020 - 02:49
ATG
Kiske is kring worthy, so many power metal singers crush him, he cant enunciate worth shit and his voice is like nails on a chalk board, Tobias Sommet kills Kiske
01.11.2020 - 05:29
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Maco on 06.03.2020 at 19:45

This is a genre defining album. Some people might not like it, chances are you may not like power metal at all, and that's fine. However this is a seminal album for the style and calling it overrated is really daft.
----
19.12.2021 - 13:20
Rating: 7
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
There's no denying the fact that this is a very good power metal album, but I much prefer part I, and this is certainly IMHO, not the best power metal album of all, like some people believe it to be, iconic yes, best I don't think so.

Hits total: 36067 | This month: 132