Found in 46 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 8

Comments: 226   Visited by: 1561 users
11.12.2012 - 18:28
Rating: 9
Erik M.
Written by InnerSelf on 10.12.2012 at 23:18

I recommend giving Esoteric's music as much time as you can, cause when it finally clicks it is really rewarding

Maybe it's like listening to Summoning: boring at first, but the more you listen to it, the better it gets, while it's eventually one of your favourite bands. I'll give Esoteric another shot soon. What's a good album/song to start off with?
11.12.2012 - 18:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
A comparison with Summoning? I enjoy Summoning a lot but c'mon, now THAT'S monotone. Man, if you find Esoteric monotonous then I guess you don't like any funeral doom band in existence considering Circle being quite a magnifiscent and extremely varied song within the genre but also outside... Going through very different landscapes and moods in just minutes with even some crazy build-ups and tempo changes. You should definitely give them some time.

Well... for albums, go for the two latest. Go for the latest first, a bit more accessible. I gotta disagree to some degree with Innerself: I loved Esoteric from the start, didn't take me time to appreciate their genius but I can understand that it can be a bit too much for some.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.12.2012 - 22:24
Erik M.
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.12.2012 at 18:48

A comparison with Summoning? I enjoy Summoning a lot but c'mon, now THAT'S monotone. Man, if you find Esoteric monotonous then I guess you don't like any funeral doom band in existence considering Circle being quite a magnifiscent and extremely varied song within the genre but also outside... Going through very different landscapes and moods in just minutes with even some crazy build-ups and tempo changes. You should definitely give them some time.

Well... for albums, go for the two latest. Go for the latest first, a bit more accessible. I gotta disagree to some degree with Innerself: I loved Esoteric from the start, didn't take me time to appreciate their genius but I can understand that it can be a bit too much for some.

I didn't compare the music of both bands though. As I said, I'm going to give Esoteric another try and see if my opinion will change. Also, funeral doom is a genre that I know almost nothing about, but that'll definitely change. I see your point about Summoning though; a lot of their songs are indeed monotonous, but I still think they make great music.
11.12.2012 - 22:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Erik M. on 11.12.2012 at 22:24
but I still think they make great music.

Oh definitely, I enjoy their work quite a lot when I'm in the mood. I know you weren't comparing the sound itself but i just figured it was strange to say "it was a bit too monotonous" and at the same time not being bothered at Summoning's monotony. Then again... music being monotonous can be good or bad depending on the context. Wish ya luck with Esoteric. They are quite a mouthful but don't give up on them too soon. Like I said, check out the two latest (4 cds I know... but still, great shit!).
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.12.2012 - 22:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
*comes running in and shouts* Summoning sucks *runs away again*
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 22:37
Erik M.
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.12.2012 at 22:27

Oh definitely, I enjoy their work quite a lot when I'm in the mood. I know you weren't comparing the sound itself but i just figured it was strange to say "it was a bit too monotonous" and at the same time not being bothered at Summoning's monotony. Then again... music being monotonous can be good or bad depending on the context. Wish ya luck with Esoteric. They are quite a mouthful but don't give up on them too soon. Like I said, check out the two latest (4 cds I know... but still, great shit!).

But yeah, Esoteric makes bands like MDB seem like cheerful music (which says a lot, since most people will get depressed after listening to MDB ).
11.12.2012 - 22:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Erik M. on 11.12.2012 at 22:37

But yeah, Esoteric makes bands like MDB seem like cheerful music (which says a lot, since most people will get depressed after listening to MDB ).

well I get depressed by My Dying Bride nowadays as well, but that is because how much Line Of Deathless Kings and For Lies I Sire sucked, especially in comparison to their utterly brilliant early stuff
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2012 - 22:46
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2012 at 22:30

*comes running in and shouts* Summoning sucks *runs away again*

I wouldn't say they suck, but they're largely overrated and bore me to death most of the time
11.12.2012 - 23:04
Erik M.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2012 at 22:44

well I get depressed by My Dying Bride nowadays as well, but that is because how much Line Of Deathless Kings and For Lies I Sire sucked, especially in comparison to their utterly brilliant early stuff

Haha, I agree about those albums being pretty bad in comparison to their earlier records (Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light is my favourite though, along with Turn Loose The Swans). I think A Line Of Deathless Kings was still pretty good, but For Lies I Sire is the only album that was disappointing for me. Their latest album is, however, definitely better than those two albums, but I suspect you still wouldn't like it.
11.12.2012 - 23:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
MDB's debut owns all their other albums (which are still hella good except their latest couple fo albums)... Their debut can only stand shoulder to shoulder with the Symphonaire EP.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.12.2012 - 23:47
Erik M.
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.12.2012 at 23:23

MDB's debut owns all their other albums (which are still hella good except their latest couple fo albums)... Their debut can only stand shoulder to shoulder with the Symphonaire EP.

I disagree. It's a great album, but most other albums are better. Although Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Impyrium remains one of my absolute favourite tracks by MDB (it's on so many albums, it's ridiculous). As The Flower Withers is basically their only Death Doom album; their latest album is also Death Doom according to MS, but that's 100% untrue: it's Gothic Doom. Anyway, their debute is extremely raw but musically they're not quite there yet for me (lack of clean vocals don't help either). Turn Loose The Swans is pretty much the perfect MDB album as it greatly improves upon its predecessor and is ground-breaking back when it came out and remains to be a masterpiece.
11.12.2012 - 23:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Erik M. on 11.12.2012 at 23:47

I disagree. It's a great album, but most other albums are better. Although Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Impyrium remains one of my absolute favourite tracks by MDB (it's on so many albums, it's ridiculous). As The Flower Withers is basically their only Death Doom album; their latest album is also Death Doom according to MS, but that's 100% untrue: it's Gothic Doom. Anyway, their debute is extremely raw but musically they're not quite there yet for me (lack of clean vocals don't help either). Turn Loose The Swans is pretty much the perfect MDB album as it greatly improves upon its predecessor and is ground-breaking back when it came out and remains to be a masterpiece.

I think you are confusing "Symphonaire..." with "Sear Me" which is the track that does appear on several full lengths. Their debut is definitely not their only death doom album though... Granted, they went more and more gothic with the albums after TLTS but the sophomore album, The Dreadful Hours and The Light At The End Of The World still share those sounds an can be labeled as death doom.

It's exactly because of the rawness of the debut that makes it fantastic. It has an extremely morbid yet very elegant vibe to it that no other MDB have. Very unsetting at time and even "mad".
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.12.2012 - 00:07
Erik M.
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.12.2012 at 23:53

I think you are confusing "Symphonaire..." with "Sear Me" which is the track that does appear on several full lengths. Their debut is definitely not their only death doom album though... Granted, they went more and more gothic with the albums after TLTS but the sophomore album, The Dreadful Hours and The Light At The End Of The World still share those sounds an can be labeled as death doom.

It's exactly because of the rawness of the debut that makes it fantastic. It has an extremely morbid yet very elegant vibe to it that no other MDB have. Very unsetting at time and even "mad".

No, I'm not What I actually meant about "Symphonaire" is that it's also on several (compilation) albums: Anti-Diluvian Chronicles, Meisterwerk I, The Stories, Towards The Sinister, Trinity, and Voice Of The Wretched. You're right though about Sear Me, there are a lot of different versions of that song, yet I might like the original the most, except for that part where Aaron screams and the music stops (that part is horrible).

And when I said death doom I meant it exclusively (no gothic), since as you said, the albums after their debut are all gothic to some degree (with Turn Loose The Swans probably the least and The Angel And The Dark River the most, along with Like Gods Of The Sun).
12.12.2012 - 00:08
InnerSelf
proofread free
Esoteric were my entrance to the extreme(-er) side of Metal and their sound was something totally new to me so it took quite some time to get a grasp of what is going through my ears.
New Saturnus owns every other 2012 album btw
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
12.12.2012 - 00:11
Erik M.
A Map Of All Our Failures is still "gothic doom" instead of "death doom". Someone ought to change it on MS.
12.12.2012 - 00:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Erik M. on 12.12.2012 at 00:07
No, I'm not

Oh yeah... I guess I didn't count those because they are just compilations so we are still talking about the same song. And since Sear Me is on that album as well, I just went with that I don't mind those screams at all, it just reflects on the weird sort-of-mad vibe that album particularly has.

As for gothic influences... I would say all their work has gothic influences just (as you said) more in some albums than the others.

Written by InnerSelf on 12.12.2012 at 00:08

Esoteric were my entrance to the extreme(-er) side of Metal and their sound was something totally new to me so it took quite some time to get a grasp of what is going through my ears.

Well, in my case the only extreme doom bands I was familiar with were Ahab, Nortt, the early stuff by the peaceville triology... Maybe I checked a few drone bands and was particularly into Acid Bath and Eyehategod at the time but still nothing that was close to The Maniacal Vale (my first encounter) in terms of sound.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.12.2012 - 00:29
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.12.2012 at 00:17

Well, in my case the only extreme doom bands I was familiar with were Ahab, Nortt, the early stuff by the peaceville triology... Maybe I checked a few drone bands and was particularly into Acid Bath and Eyehategod at the time but still nothing that was close to The Maniacal Vale (my first encounter) in terms of sound.

I remember that I listened to The Maniacal Vale in 2008 when it came out and I had probably only heard Shape of Despair as far as Funeral Doom goes, 2008 was the year I started exploring Metal myself rather than waiting for recommendations form friends so I was shocked to say the least when Circle started playing
----
is not bold enough
12.12.2012 - 00:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Erik M. on 12.12.2012 at 00:11

A Map Of All Our Failures is still "gothic doom" instead of "death doom". Someone ought to change it on MS.

still haven't heard it because of how much I hate the previous two hahahaha

but why the hel;l are we talking about a washed up band when this thread is on the much superior Saturnus?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2012 - 01:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2012 at 00:44
but why the hel;l are we talking about a washed up band...

Or about Summong... or Esoteric. God this went off-topic. Gonna try to get on topic by saying that I know close to nothing about this band and this is the first album I got (downloaded) from them xD,
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.12.2012 - 01:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.12.2012 at 01:02

band and this is the first album I got (downloaded) from them xD,

better late than never
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2012 - 01:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
What I find weird is that Saturnus are labeled Gothic Doom here and Officium Triste Death Doom when in fact both bands play the same sort of doom metal, namely Death Doom which borders on Gothic Doom from time to time.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2012 - 02:15
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2012 at 01:09

What I find weird is that Saturnus are labeled Gothic Doom here and Officium Triste Death Doom when in fact both bands play the same sort of doom metal, namely Death Doom which borders on Gothic Doom from time to time.

Yes. Exactly ! Both are probably the best to play this sort of Doom, alongside Shattered Hope and few others.
----
is not bold enough
12.12.2012 - 11:15
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I've delved so deep into the domain of progressive metal that I've forgotten my roots in melodious music....I really appreciate that this album has posed as a reminder to that
12.12.2012 - 19:04
Ok, I'm gonna check out Esoteric now. better be good.
12.12.2012 - 19:23
Urs Blank
I wouldn't mind if it ends up winning Best album of the MS Awards 2012
12.12.2012 - 21:20
Erik M.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2012 at 00:44

still haven't heard it because of how much I hate the previous two hahahaha

but why the hel;l are we talking about a washed up band when this thread is on the much superior Saturnus?

Then just listen to it once to see that I'm right about this Though I still think you wouldn't like it... it's kind of like For Lies I Sire, but a lot better (obviously still not as great as most of their albums).

I wouldn't call MDB a washed up band... just less great than they used to be, though I agree about Saturnus being the better band currently.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.12.2012 at 01:02

Gonna try to get on topic by saying that I know close to nothing about this band and this is the first album I got (downloaded) from them xD,

I'm not saying everyone will agree with me, but their debut is amazing, by far the best album they made (I think their 2nd and 3rd albums are very good, but extremely overrated). I still haven't received Saturn In Ascension so I can't say anything about that.
13.12.2012 - 22:39
Erik M.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2012 at 01:09

Yeah, you're right. Both play Death Doom with Gothic elements. That being said, compare one of these bands to the new MDB album and you'll easily hear the difference in genre: it's Gothic Doom.

For instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agpr7n_2C2M
14.12.2012 - 21:36
Erik M.
Written by Urs Blank on 12.12.2012 at 19:23

Can we (regular users) also vote in the MS Awards or is it just the staff that can vote?
14.12.2012 - 21:58
Reza
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 14.12.2012 at 21:36

Written by Urs Blank on 12.12.2012 at 19:23

Can we (regular users) also vote in the MS Awards or is it just the staff that can vote?

We all can vote!
14.12.2012 - 22:04
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 14.12.2012 at 21:58

We all can vote!

I suspected as much, but where and when?

Hits total: 45007 | This month: 65