09. Prudence's Fall
10. A Succubus In Rapture
11. Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde [bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1997: 5
Top 200 albums of all time: 159

Guest review by
Lord TJ
Rating:
Enthrone Darkness Triumphant had been recorded and produced in January 1997 at Abyss Studios, which is located in Sweden. This was Dimmu Borgir's first release through Nuclear Blast records, as well as their first album to contain English lyrics. This album, to my knowledge is highly acclaimed, and their best selling as far as I know, from what I have read in other reviews and statistics. It is quite a milestone and had been a huge stepping stone for for the band, as it contains more profound musical structures. The melody in several songs, especially the opening for 'Mourning Palace' is quite superb sounding. The dark elements are more vivid, yet hellishly eerie than what they had shown in previous releases. If you don't believe me check out 'Relinquishment Of Spirit And Flesh'. Clearly what stands out in this album is the band's musicality, they display great musicianship, with far more structured songs. Check out, 'Spellbound By The Devil' as a grand example to hear how their collaboration seemed to take a great step forward.

Read more ››
published 18.10.2007 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
This album is called the greatest work of Dimmu Borgir, the high point in their career, but also the last to contain the norsk black metal style. Indeed it is a very good album, but nevertheless it is already nothing of black metal any more. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant was the first step into the direction of Cradle Of Filth, this can clearly be heard in the new production and songwriting style. But to keep unique in a way, Dimmu Borgir decided to fill the gap between black and symphonic with synth sounds. If you compare this album to their former effort Stormblåst, it is hard to believe that you listen to the same band with only one year difference.

Read more ››
published 08.01.2011 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
In this review I want to voice my opinion about one of the best metal albums of all time.

First of all, changes after the previous albums are conspicuous enough to be mentioned. If we want to categorize Dimmu Borgir albums, there are four periods: The first wave (1993-1996), the second wave (1997-1999), the third wave (1999-2009) and the fully orchestral and choral era. This record is the beginning of Dimmu Borgir's second wave.

Read more ››
published 02.06.2020 | Comments (1)

Found in 77 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 34   Visited by: 1901 users
27.08.2010 - 00:02
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Last black album.... too bad, i say. too bad, in deed
19.09.2010 - 03:45
Lovecraft
Account deleted
I agree.
27.10.2010 - 19:12
Rating: 10
SatyriconChick
This album is absolutely amazing! Although I prefer Spiritual Black Dimensions just a fraction more, EDT is definitely the album by Dimmu that has gotten the most plays by me. "Mourning Palace" and "A Succubus In Rapture" are my favorite tracks.
12.04.2011 - 00:16
Rating: 8
@gent_-_orange
Easily the best from this band
01.07.2011 - 23:16
Damshak
---Top 10 Dimmu Borgir--- ---This one is a great album!!!
1-.Master Of Disharmony
2-.Vredesbyrd
3-.The Chosen Legacy
4-.Spellbound (By The Devil)
5-.Puritania
6-.Satan My Master
7-.Stormblast
8-.Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse
9-.The Serpent Offering
10-.Mourning Palace
29.10.2011 - 08:41
Jay-WalKeR
Mourning palace is my favorite song and that lyric too.
09.04.2012 - 00:47
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
The pinnacle of Dimmu Borgir's records. One of the alltime best albums I've ever heard, I wish I could give it an 11!
09.04.2012 - 16:51
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Saw them last month and they came with the premise of playing the entire album as they were doing it on the tour. For some unknown reason here they skipped Entrace, Master and Prudence's. It was a big letdown.
12.04.2012 - 07:12
Rating: 7
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Favorite album by Dimmu, still somewhat of a messy work though.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
29.07.2012 - 17:21
musicalkaratekid
This album has a fantastic atmosphere and production, and that's partly why it's one of my favourite DB albums.I think they got these symphonic melodies and the odd female voice narratives spot on personally, they fit in really well with the BM influences.
08.10.2012 - 11:18
Noctural
Masterpiece!!!
08.01.2013 - 17:42
Erik M.
Written by JÄY on 27.08.2010 at 00:02

How on earth is this black? Call me crazy, but when I listen to this I'm sure I'm listening to symphonic black. The genre is listed wrong on this page.

Anyway, excellent album. My second favourite DB release, after Spiritual Black Dimensions.
08.01.2013 - 22:46
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Erik M. on 08.01.2013 at 17:42

How on earth is this black?

of course differing opinions and all that, EDT does have it's fair share of symphonic stuff thrown in, for sure...but compare this to Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia and it still had a ways to go to be full-fledged symphonic (the two sound very different)

Hosnestly, I bet if DB never put out another album and this wasnt compared to stuff in a later discography it would be considered symphonic.
28.03.2013 - 21:05
squidrick420
Written by Erik M. on 08.01.2013 at 17:42

Written by JÄY on 27.08.2010 at 00:02

How on earth is this black? Call me crazy, but when I listen to this I'm sure I'm listening to symphonic black. The genre is listed wrong on this page.

Anyway, excellent album. My second favourite DB release, after Spiritual Black Dimensions.

Some people categorize things differently haha. You said it yourself, this is a symphonic BLACK METAL album. In my opinion symphonic BM is still a type of BM. Not that this truly matters and changes how good the album is, but if you look at Black Metal as an umbrella term that includes symphonic black metal then it makes sense as to why people sometimes refer to it as only being a BM album.
28.03.2013 - 21:19
Erik M.
Written by squidrick420 on 28.03.2013 at 21:05

Some people categorize things differently haha. You said it yourself, this is a symphonic BLACK METAL album. In my opinion symphonic BM is still a type of BM. Not that this truly matters and changes how good the album is, but if you look at Black Metal as an umbrella term that includes symphonic black metal then it makes sense as to why people sometimes refer to it as only being a BM album.

You're right. Symphonic black metal is obviously a subgenre of BM. I just think this album isn't anywhere near pure black metal, but rather symphonic black metal. However, I was criticizing MS for labelling this album as black metal instead of symphonic black metal.

It's like Saturnus being labelled gothic doom while it's actually melodic death doom. And My Dying Bride's latest album has the genre death doom metal, while it's actually more like gothic doom, but I guess I'm being a little obsessive about genres now.
28.03.2013 - 23:19
squidrick420
Quote:
You're right. Symphonic black metal is obviously a subgenre of BM. I just think this album isn't anywhere near pure black metal, but rather symphonic black metal. However, I was criticizing MS for labelling this album as black metal instead of symphonic black metal.

It's like Saturnus being labelled gothic doom while it's actually melodic death doom. And My Dying Bride's latest album has the genre death doom metal, while it's actually more like gothic doom, but I guess I'm being a little obsessive about genres now.

Genre labeling can get out of hand at times haha. I have gotten tired of being too precise with the labeling as it can spark up arguments really easily, especially when it comes to things like brutal death metal vs technical death metal vs progressive death metal; to me its all fucking death metal lol. The same with doom/stoner/sludge/drone, i just call it all doom and move on lol. Honestly I am fine with calling all this stuff metal, you can't go wrong with that (unless its borderline punk or some other genre).
09.05.2013 - 01:35
infernaldeath87
Simply amazing.
02.02.2014 - 23:37
Constantine
First album I can give a 10 just after the first listen. So bombastic, grandiose, full of energy and ideas. No filler only killer. I can't believe I was avoiding this jewel. I am impressed.
09.06.2015 - 21:24
LEXru
Outstanding album. Definitely .
04.09.2015 - 13:31
Constantine
Account deleted
Great great album!

Though I am kinda starting to blur the line between this and Stormblast for best Borgir album.
09.03.2018 - 17:58
Sword_Chant
Still their best album by far, and one of the best BM albums of all time. It holds as much significance now as it did back when they released it.
24.05.2018 - 23:59
Redel
Came to remind myself the other day how convincing this album is, really great stuff.
It though remains till today the only album by them that I can really enjoy.
The highlight for me is clearly the Mourning palace.
Entrance and In death's embrace also stand out.
Moreover the bonus provides a fine closer.
11.09.2018 - 01:20
Jack_Torrance
Beautiful
13.01.2019 - 15:36
Rating: 3
Maasai Mara
Mediocre, boring and devoid of purpose. Flat voice, flat riffs, flat vocals. Whether this is on or off you cannot tell the difference. This is like the price of bitcoin between Nov and Dec 2018, flat with the only interesting thing being dropping further in value.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
04.03.2019 - 07:40
Lulucifer
Damn this is some low quality bait, man. Step it up
13.07.2021 - 22:28
mz
I saw the video for " Mourning Palace" when I was 15. This was before I had listened to anything beyond metallica's Black Album and was completely and properly creeped out by music and the accompanying video. It would take me another ~10 years to really get into black metal. This style of black metal is not what I enjoy that much, but I still think that this is a good album.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
14.07.2021 - 01:37
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by mz on 13.07.2021 at 22:28

I saw the video for " Mourning Palace" when I was 15. This was before I had listened to anything beyond metallica's Black Album and was completely and properly creeped out by music and the accompanying video. It would take me another ~10 years to really get into black metal. This style of black metal is not what I enjoy that much, but I still think that this is a good album.

I've always had a liking for Norwegian Black metal bands, but never been too keen on Dimmu Borgir, but this album is a great exception, and by far their best album IMO.
15.07.2021 - 04:35
winne007
This Album is Art !
There is much more as a Black-Metal -Album !
Accept for me, there is no escape from my inner Darkness.
Forever lost in sadness and never ending fear.
You don't know why ? But somhow... enjoy it... Crazy :-D
----
<-winne007->
28.03.2022 - 14:30
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Very good symphonic black metal! Reminds me of Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk in a way
28.03.2022 - 15:43
Metal Rasputin
I must have listened to this album from start to finish at least million times over the years and it still keeps getting better. Talk about a timeless classic.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!

Hits total: 35569 | This month: 119