01. The Spirit Of Radio [live]
02. Red Barchetta [live]
03. Closer To The Heart [live]
04. Tom Sawyer [live]
05. Vital Signs [live]
06. Natural Science [live]
07. Medley [live]
    1 - Working Man
    2 - Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres - Armageddon: The Battle of Heart and Mind
    3 - By-Tor & The Snow Dog
    4 - In The End
    5 - In The Mood
    6 - 2112 - Grand FInale
08. La Villa Strangiato [live]

Top 20 albums of 1981: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 24

Additional info
Live versions recorded at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto on March 25, 1981.

Guest review by
nicaZe
Rating:
You'll have to excuse me. Right now, I am a bit overwhelmed. There is so much to do. I came here to do a brief review of Rush's Moving Pictures. I just realized, that is absolutely impossible.

This album was the first album that I bought from Rush. It is really, truly a brilliant album. I've listened to it many times since I got it three years ago. It grows on you a lot. There are so many elements to it that make it such a classic. I know you all know what kind of classic is this, but let's say something about this album.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2012 | Comments (36)

Found in 58 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 52   Visited by: 1364 users
16.11.2010 - 21:34
Rating: 10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Best prog rock album
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.03.2011 - 09:39
The Benighted
Probably one of the best Progressive Rock albums ever made.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
03.03.2011 - 01:17
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
The-best-album-ever-conceived-by-geniuses
----
rekt
06.06.2011 - 01:46
Rating: 8
Vikcen
Metálico
Oh, it deserves Its position in the Top 200, It is the most metal i have seen in my life .
02.01.2012 - 20:51
musicalkaratekid
A very varied and experimental album, and i feel that Geddy Lee makes full use of synthesisers and Bass guitar here. A Milestone in progressive rock.
03.01.2012 - 10:12
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I wouldn't call this the best prog album, or even the best Rush album, but it's still for the most part, a stunning example of it's genre.
03.01.2012 - 11:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.01.2012 at 10:12

I wouldn't call this the best prog album, or even the best Rush album, but it's still for the most part, a stunning example of it's genre.

Agreed.
----
03.01.2012 - 19:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Warman on 03.01.2012 at 11:43
Agreed.

At the risk of opening myself up to a major roasting, I do feel this album is very slightly overrated. But only in comparison to their very best albums.
03.01.2012 - 20:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.01.2012 at 19:31

At the risk of opening myself up to a major roasting, I do feel this album is very slightly overrated. But only in comparison to their very best albums.

Nah, I can really see why it get so much praise. And I'm not the one to talk anyway, considering I'm a HUGE fan of "Power Windows" and "Hold Your Fire".
----
03.01.2012 - 21:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Warman on 03.01.2012 at 20:51
Nah, I can really see why it get so much praise. And I'm not the one to talk anyway, considering I'm a HUGE fan of "Power Windows" and "Hold Your Fire".

Oh I can too! I just don't agree with the general consensus that it's their best work. But I'd never deny the high quality and amazing songwriting on songs like "YYZ", "Red Barchetta", and "The Camera Eye", which really is Rush at their best.

I actually find a lot of their 80's material to be immensely underrated, even if I do feel the 70's was when they produced their strongest albums. Both of those albums are great, especially "Hold Your Fire"!
03.01.2012 - 21:14
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.01.2012 at 21:08

Written by Warman on 03.01.2012 at 20:51

Oh I can too! I just don't agree with the general consensus that it's their best work. But I'd never deny the high quality and amazing songwriting on songs like "YYZ", "Red Barchetta", and "The Camera Eye", which really is Rush at their best.

I actually find a lot of their 80's material to be immensely underrated, even if I do feel the 70's was when they produced their strongest albums. Both of those albums are great, especially "Hold Your Fire"!

Power Windows is a brilliant album! "Mystic Rhythms" is the song that got me into Rush in the first place. It's still probably my most listened to Rush album, though the 70s stuff is probably better prog material.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
03.01.2012 - 21:41
Lit.
Account deleted
I agree with the above posts. IT's a beautiful album, but I think I'll always perfer Hemispheres.
03.01.2012 - 21:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by LordFezzington on 03.01.2012 at 21:14
Power Windows is a brilliant album! "Mystic Rhythms" is the song that got me into Rush in the first place. It's still probably my most listened to Rush album, though the 70s stuff is probably better prog material.

I love the flashes of oriental music in that song! It is a very good album overall, I like it a lot. I think what a lot of people couldn't take with much of the 80's Rush was the major use of synths. But for me, it was just a natural progression for them to experiment with different styles and sounds. And they did it for the most part, very well I have to say!
03.01.2012 - 22:13
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Agreed.

Which are their best in your opinion?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.01.2012 - 22:41
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.01.2012 at 21:47

I think what a lot of people couldn't take with much of the 80's Rush was the major use of synths. But for me, it was just a natural progression for them to experiment with different styles and sounds. And they did it for the most part, very well I have to say!

Ah, the joys of not being (quite) old enough to 'hate' this particular band for changing their style and evolving - cos as we know: Change is BAD.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
04.01.2012 - 01:30
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.01.2012 at 21:47

I think what a lot of people couldn't take with much of the 80's Rush was the major use of synths.

I never had any problem with this. I like all Rush albums until "Presto". However, I've never been able to get used to their recent stuff. It's so boring compared to what they did until "Presto".
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.01.2012 - 14:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 04.01.2012 at 01:30
I never had any problem with this. I like all Rush albums until "Presto". However, I've never been able to get used to their recent stuff. It's so boring compared to what they did until "Presto".

Just when I think you can't suprise me anymore music-wise, you go and do just that. lol

Do you mean you like all Rush albums up to and including "Presto", or do you see that album as the start of their "boring" period?

@Ktulu: That is a very hard decision... "2112"'s title track probably sums up what Rush are about more than anything else they've ever done, so for that reason, I'll probably go for that one. The other songs on it are great too!

@7thSlave: While you're right about me not being quite old enough, knowing my personality, I don't think it would matter even if I was a Rush fan at the time they changed their sound. It must have been around 1991 when I first discovered Rush by hearing "The Spirit Of Radio" on my local radio rock show after 1am. hehe I was hooked after that.
05.01.2012 - 01:04
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 04.01.2012 at 14:51

Written by RavenKing on 04.01.2012 at 01:30

Just when I think you can't suprise me anymore music-wise, you go and do just that. lol

Do you mean you like all Rush albums up to and including "Presto", or do you see that album as the start of their "boring" period?

I include "Presto" in the good ones. It wasn't an improvement upon "Hold Your Fire" but it was still complex and energetic.
However, after that, their music became more simple and I think their songwriting abilities significantly decreased. Also, they adopted a heavier sound since "Counterparts" that I don't like because, Imo, it doesn't fit their music at all. Rush is much better when it's more melodic.

I like only a few songs on "Roll The Bones", "Counterparts" and "Vapor Trails".
I can't stand "Test For Echo" and I found nothing interesting on "Snakes And Arrows".

What really kills their new stuff for me is the absence of energy and Lee's vocals (damn his vocals turned bad after "Counterparts"). Believe me, I really tried to get used to the new stuff but it's just boring compared to the old.

If I can summarize their post-Presto stuff, I would say it is often too slow, too simple compared to what they can do, lacking emotion and energy, badly produced (often uselessly heavy and bland, it sounds dry and lacks the resonance of the old stuff), very boring vocals. Also, lyrics on the new stuff are often laughable (I prefer so much their more conceptual lyrics).
----
05.01.2012 - 03:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by K✞ulu on 03.01.2012 at 22:13

Agreed.

Which are their best in your opinion?

Hey man! Long time no post!

I am THE BIGGEST RUSH FAN ON THIS SITE...so listen to me!

You must start at the very beginning 1974 self-titled and work your way thru.
I know that is very cliche but you must when covering a band that has over 30 releases!
----
rekt
05.01.2012 - 03:24
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

Agreed.

my heart just stopped beating...
----
rekt
05.01.2012 - 03:27
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 05.01.2012 at 03:24

Agreed.

it's not overrated, not even slightly, I think it deserves its fame and praise.
05.01.2012 - 03:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Guest on 05.01.2012 at 03:27

Written by tea[m]ster on 05.01.2012 at 03:24

Agreed.

it's not overrated, not even slightly, I think it deserves its fame and praise.

whew, glad someone's got my back!
----
rekt
05.01.2012 - 03:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 05.01.2012 at 01:04
I include "Presto" in the good ones. It wasn't an improvement upon "Hold Your Fire" but it was still complex and energetic.
However, after that, their music became more simple and I think their songwriting abilities significantly decreased. Also, they adopted a heavier sound since "Counterparts" that I don't like because, Imo, it doesn't fit their music at all. Rush is much better when it's more melodic.

I can't stand "Test For Echo" and I found nothing interesting on "Snakes And Arrows".

What really kills their new stuff for me is the absence of energy and Lee's vocals (damn his vocals turned bad after "Counterparts"). Believe me, I really tried to get used to the new stuff but it's just boring compared to the old.

If I can summarize their post-Presto stuff, I would say it is often too slow, too simple compared to what they can do, lacking emotion and energy, badly produced (often uselessly heavy and bland, it sounds dry and lacks the resonance of the old stuff), very boring vocals. Also, lyrics on the new stuff are often laughable (I prefer so much their more conceptual lyrics).

Hmm... I would have to say I largely agree with your assessment of post-90's Rush output. "Roll The Bones" is actually a pretty good album I find, although yes, comparing it with the likes of "Moving Pictures", then it is definitely a weaker album. I feel there are some good songs from this period of Rush, but no great albums. I do totally get what you're saying about the lack of emotion and energy. As much flak as the 80's material (aside from "Moving Pictures") sometimes recieves, I do find a lot of energy and invention in much of that material. That became much more thin on the ground from the 90's onwards.

I have to say though, the 2 new tracks I've heard from their upcoming new album are very good, and give me hope this could be the best album Rush have made for a very long time.

@Tea(m)ister: Hey, I agreed with him!
06.01.2012 - 03:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.01.2012 at 03:34

Written by RavenKing on 05.01.2012 at 01:04

Hmm... I would have to say I largely agree with your assessment of post-90's Rush output. "Roll The Bones" is actually a pretty good album I find, although yes, comparing it with the likes of "Moving Pictures", then it is definitely a weaker album. I feel there are some good songs from this period of Rush, but no great albums. I do totally get what you're saying about the lack of emotion and energy. As much flak as the 80's material (aside from "Moving Pictures") sometimes recieves, I do find a lot of energy and invention in much of that material. That became much more thin on the ground from the 90's onwards.

I have to say though, the 2 new tracks I've heard from their upcoming new album are very good, and give me hope this could be the best album Rush have made for a very long time.

@Tea(m)ister: Hey, I agreed with him!

Do you have Vapor Trails? It is a terrific album. A ton of tracks and variety!
----
rekt
06.01.2012 - 03:45
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.01.2012 at 03:34

I feel there are some good songs from this period of Rush, but no great albums.

Yeah, a few good songs here and there but that's all. No album is great, as they all have many weak tracks.
----
08.01.2012 - 02:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by tea[m]ster on 06.01.2012 at 03:39
Do you have Vapor Trails? It is a terrific album. A ton of tracks and variety!

I do indeed!

I really don't think overall, it can be compared to their best albums, but "Vapor Trails" is probably the best from their 1990 - present period. There is some amazing songs on it like the title track, "Freeze" and "How It Is", but it's a bit patchy and overlong, and lacks the cohesion of Rush's best albums I feel.
30.01.2012 - 23:51
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Daaaaamn. *drool*

YYZ MUST have influenced Death. I bet on that.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
29.11.2012 - 03:18
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Hmm... I mean yeah this is really good stuff, however I personally think they have made better albums than this (2112, Hemispheres, A Farewell To Kings, etc.). I still think it's great though!

EDIT: This is probably my favorite album of theirs as of right now.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
29.11.2012 - 20:06
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Not their best, and a tad overrated by some people (meaning that for some, this overshadows everything else Rush did). Still, probably their 3rd or 4th best album. "Vital Signs" and "Limelight" are the highlights for me.
21.12.2012 - 21:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.01.2012 at 10:12

but this is not like others prog albums Rush always have some way to write proper songs, this defenetly is best Rush album, even I like Clockwork Angels , but this even is prog rock, mayye Prog metal bands never will learn this way and never criate such album ...... Tom Sawyer , Red Barcheta, Lamelight, Witch Hunt are best Rush songs ..... I wonder how many internet freeks knows what is (I will use this form not was) Tom Sawyer and Hucklerry Finn .....
Exelent masterpiece, bets Rush album and well band still kicking
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 27105 | This month: 101