Metal Storm logo
Yes

17.05.2006 - 20:29
Horlequism
Account deleted
Yet another highly influential innovator in the progressive rock genre...Yes are more influential in combining folk with progressive rock...the 70s were all about Yes creating complex progressive rock structures with folk dominating the main musical aspect of the band...after citing creative difficulties in the mid-late 70s after Tormado was released, the band broke up...

In 1980, the band got back together again while some of the members, wanting to go under a different name and in a different direction but after Geoffrey Downes;s inspired them with his ideas while meeting in the same studio, Chris Squire decided to resurrect Yes, bringing the band into the 80s with 1980's Drama...

Anyway, I'm not going to sit here and do a bio...so yeah, Yes..I know a lot of MSers like them...
17.05.2006 - 20:33
Daibh
Account deleted
Yes. I've had the rant on metalstorm before, concerning my belief that Steve Howe is the greatest, most innovative guitar player of all time. The same applies for Chris Squire in regards to Bass. I saw the band play a couple of years ago, and it remains the most fantastic performance I have ever seen in my life.

So, I think I'll leave now, and let the thread unfold before I stick my nose in again.

I notice you have just started threads on another two of my favorites, King Crimson and ELP. I'll probably end up in the Crimson thread, saying the same thing as above, but about Fripp and Lake
17.05.2006 - 23:11
Dam3k
Indeed =) I have a compilation cd "The very best of Yes" They demostrate a very high quality in all senses, they were very influential for the later progressive bands such as Dream Theater. I like them a lot for me are one of the most representative and influential band in the progressive scene, just like Rush or Led Zeppelin could being
----

17.05.2006 - 23:38
meTalcoholic
Amazing, outmostly amazing band. Their music has been SO influencial. I love them. I love Chris Squire.
----

-ZEdarkangel (a.k.a. ZD/ZeeDee)

666, Number of the Beaaaaaast!!!!!!
18.05.2006 - 10:43
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Yes is a very good band. Not really my favorite, but they've made some very incredible music. Like Fragile and Magnification. I don't know them very well, but I like these albums the most. Especially Magnification, because of the orchestra that's added to the music.
18.05.2006 - 21:34
Detric
King Of Twilight
I love Yes, fantastic band. But, I really dont understand the hype about Close To The Edge to be ohnest. I have the album, and its not bad, not at all. But every proghead Ive met, think its one of the best prog albums made ever! The first song on the album is just amazing, maybe the best song Ive ever heard in my entire life, because it has it all. But the two other songs arent that great imo, they are very progressive though! Well, maybe I will appreciate it alot more, when im like 40 or something, who knows..
20.05.2006 - 07:50
Horlequism
Account deleted
Written by Detric on 18.05.2006 at 21:34

I love Yes, fantastic band. But, I really dont understand the hype about Close To The Edge to be ohnest. I have the album, and its not bad, not at all. But every proghead Ive met, think its one of the best prog albums made ever! The first song on the album is just amazing, maybe the best song Ive ever heard in my entire life, because it has it all. But the two other songs arent that great imo, they are very progressive though! Well, maybe I will appreciate it alot more, when im like 40 or something, who knows..

Well, Close to the Edge is definetly an epic and progressive piece of work, especially that introduction...that's very progressive...it has a really funky and densly rhyhmic pattern throughout it's composition...and that huge grandiose organ piece in the middle? what the song was ultimatly building up to? wow! what an amazing and tear-jerking thing that is...And You And I is just good symphonic progressice rock at its finest...Siberian Khatru was something that just came together in a rehersal session is contains a solid groove that just doesn't let up the whole way through and just has a great feel the whole way through...it sure is progressive...the rhythmic and melodic patterns are pretty complex indeed...it might not be technical but it's progressive element makes up in other ways...
24.05.2006 - 19:32
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.05.2006 at 20:29

Yet another highly influential innovator in the progressive rock genre...Yes are more influential in combining folk with progressive rock...the 70s were all about Yes creating complex progressive rock structures with folk dominating the main musical aspect of the band...after citing creative difficulties in the mid-late 70s after Tormado was released, the band broke up...

In 1980, the band got back together again while some of the members, wanting to go under a different name and in a different direction but after Geoffrey Downes;s inspired them with his ideas while meeting in the same studio, Chris Squire decided to resurrect Yes, bringing the band into the 80s with 1980's Drama...

Anyway, I'm not going to sit here and do a bio...so yeah, Yes..I know a lot of MSers like them...

folk with progressive rock? (The Strawbs , Rings a bell?)
Wow I think yourl full ot it (hampster metal? hey? lol).
its Classical music with rock.
Sympho-Rock.
didnt see any folk in the albums I listend to.

Yes - Fragile
Is a great album. I love it.

"Heart of the Sunrise" is an Excellent example showpiece for any Sympho rock band.
The First song even had a short version and was played on the radio.
Its a shame that the keyborad player didnt have much time, he could have done a much better work (Not that the work is bad, but he Could have done more).
He only came in in the middle of the project.a shame.
25.05.2006 - 02:03
Horlequism
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.05.2006 at 19:32

folk with progressive rock?
Wow I think yourl full ot it

Dude, they have a lot folk in all their earlier albums...you want examples? Seen All Good People, And You And I in certain sections...The Clap is another....like shit man, HOWE IS A FOLK GUITARIST!...I really suggest that you listen to some of their older stuff....you'll find more proove...

Yes still has a lot of classical and symphonic influences in their music, don't get me wrong...the matter is they do have a lot of folk in their music...go and listen to some earlier Yes...a good period is from 1969-1971...after that the folk influences were starting to get slighter in slighter but there was still some folk in places in bit and pieces...they started using more electrical muscianship in their later years...
25.05.2006 - 08:19
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.05.2006 at 02:03

Written by Guest on 24.05.2006 at 19:32

folk with progressive rock?
Wow I think yourl full ot it

Dude, they have a lot folk in all their earlier albums...you want examples? Seen All Good People, And You And a I in certain sections...The Clap is another....like shit man, HOWE IS A FOLK GUITARIST!...I really suggest that you listen to some of their older stuff....you'll find more proove...

Yes still has a lot of classical and symphonic influences in their music, don't get me wrong...the matter is they do have a lot of folk in their music...go and listen to some earlier Yes...a good period is from 1969-1971...after that the folk influences were starting to get slighter in slighter but there was still some folk in places in bit and pieces...they started using more electrical muscianship in their later years...

Im sorry for being rude (Its a hot climate here - lol thats always my excuse, please forgive me)
Any ways, I always thought and got the impression that Yes is more considerd a Sympho-Rock band more then a Folk prog band.
Il try the Older albums, Thx.
26.05.2006 - 01:43
Daru Jericho
A loveable band. Good for relazing too, pretty dreamy too. One has to respect their large influence. Also, today I discovered that my history teacher is a massive Yes fan. :|
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

26.05.2006 - 08:50
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Written by Daru Jericho on 26.05.2006 at 01:43

A loveable band. Good for relazing too, pretty dreamy too. One has to respect their large influence. Also, today I discovered that my history teacher is a massive Yes fan. :|

Yes are pretty famous , my gurad at school recommended me them.
Great band anyways.
13.08.2006 - 12:01
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Yes is a great band (perhaps the greatest?) Relayer has to be one of the greatest albums ever!
16.08.2006 - 14:57
The Mu-Mu Thing.
Account deleted
Great band! And my dad loves them. Of course, "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" is an evergreen.
17.08.2006 - 05:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@The Mu-Mu Thing.: What's an evergreen? You mean like...a staple? It's a staple song in their catalog of music?
25.09.2006 - 01:44
Prowler84
I am newly into the band Yes. I know how important they are for the genre but I could not find anything special from them yet. I am a big RUSH fan and can you advice me some songs or albums from YES to listen?
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
25.09.2006 - 09:17
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Prowler84 on 25.09.2006 at 01:44

I am newly into the band Yes. I know how important they are for the genre but I could not find anything special from them yet. I am a big RUSH fan and can you advice me some songs or albums from YES to listen?

Songs such as "Close to the Edge","Gates of Delirium","And You and I","Heart of the Sunrise","Sound Chaser" and many much more,but those songs should be good for now.
05.10.2006 - 23:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@MaidenVarius: You'd probably suggest the entire Relayer album too eh

Union is an amazing 90s Yes album...songs like Leave It and Changes are some progressive songs off of their poppy 90125...songs that revive the album and give the listener some faith...
15.10.2006 - 05:12
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.10.2006 at 23:12

@MaidenVarius: You'd probably suggest the entire Relayer album too eh

Union is an amazing 90s Yes album...songs like Leave It and Changes are some progressive songs off of their poppy 90125...songs that revive the album and give the listener some faith...

HAHAHA might as well,its that damn good of an album!!
28.10.2006 - 01:37
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I had oly listened to "Close To The Edge", it was actually one of the first CDs I ever bought, and I have to say it's a damn good, fresh album with awesome vocals and a superb guitar work.
12.11.2006 - 23:14
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Close To The Edge is a great Yes song to have been the first one to have listened to...
17.01.2007 - 14:44
marillionfan
Account deleted

You could start with Going for the One - 1977 - brilliant album in my opinion; "Yes album" is also great. And then you can go for Close to the Edge and Relayer. And better stay away from Tormato and Open Your Eyes - Yes's least inspired albums. Any other Yes album is worth purchasing.
29.06.2007 - 23:03
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.01.2007 at 14:44

You could start with Going for the One - 1977 - brilliant album in my opinion; "Yes album" is also great. And then you can go for Close to the Edge and Relayer. And better stay away from Tormato and Open Your Eyes - Yes's least inspired albums. Any other Yes album is worth purchasing.

See while both Going for the One and the Yes album are both good, I really wouldn't recomment them for someone who's looking for their best progressive stuff. For me Relayer would be the best choice, Close to the Edge would be good and hell even Fragile would work. I would like to recommend Tales from Topographic Oceans but it's very hard to get into.
02.07.2007 - 14:01
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.06.2007 at 23:03

See while both Going for the One and the Yes album are both good, I really wouldn't recomment them for someone who's looking for their best progressive stuff. For me Relayer would be the best choice, Close to the Edge would be good and hell even Fragile would work. I would like to recommend Tales from Topographic Oceans but it's very hard to get into.

I know that Close to the edge and Relayer are highly appreciated Yes albums but i was thinking that they are not the starting point for someone new to the music of Yes. The guy wanted some advice - what album to listen and he doesn't say he's looking for their best progressive work. Those were my recomandations - as a start.
03.07.2007 - 21:44
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.07.2007 at 14:01

Written by Guest on 29.06.2007 at 23:03

I know that Close to the edge and Relayer are highly appreciated Yes albums but i was thinking that they are not the starting point for someone new to the music of Yes. The guy wanted some advice - what album to listen and he doesn't say he's looking for their best progressive work. Those were my recomandations - as a start.

I figured that since he is a big Rush fan, that he was most interested in their best progressive stuff, so therefore I felt the ruling out The Yes Album and Going for the One was necessary, it had nothing with the fact that they were your recommendations. Like I said before, I just figured he would be most interested in their progressive stuff.
12.07.2007 - 19:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I never listened to anything from Yes. My guess is that I should.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.07.2007 - 11:53
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 12.07.2007 at 19:32

I never listened to anything from Yes. My guess is that I should.

You definitely guessed right!
14.07.2007 - 21:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
What do u recommend to start with? (I know everybody asks that but oh well...)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.07.2007 - 00:57
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 14.07.2007 at 21:36

What do u recommend to start with? (I know everybody asks that but oh well...)

Well as for prog rock recommendations, I would definitely start with either Fragile or Close to the Edge. Then after those two I would say Relayer (god I love that album).
15.07.2007 - 04:14
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I would just say listen to every album because you can't listen to just any few Yes albums you gotta listen to them all...go and download a torrent of all their albums or something like a criminal