Metal Storm logo
For Today - Guitarist Leaves Following Controversial Comments

For Today guitarist Mike Reynolds is at the center of the storm after remarks he made on Twitter regarding homosexuality and religion. The guitarist reportedly responded to this article claiming that "homosexuality is a sin". This generated a huge negative feedback and following this controversy, For Today announced that the guitarist is no longer part of the band as he decided to enroll in Bible college.

Tweets from Mike Reynolds: "There IS a state church being formed, there is going to be an exclusive acceptance of preachers who advocate the LGBT. Don't be deceived, homosexuality is a sin. This sin with all other sins is what Jesus died for. He conquered so that we would be free.

No such thing as a gay Christian, the same as there is no such thing as a Christian who loves his sin. Don't be fooled by the formation of a state church as though the government is being converted, they only use the name of Jesus for their Progressive liberal agenda. If you are a Christian then separate yourself from this civil religion that advocates sin. Be true to God."

He continued on his Facebook account.

Statement from the band: "Mike Reynolds is no longer a part of For Today. He has decided that now is the time for he and his wife to put their plans in motion to enroll in bible college, and to begin working toward full-time missions work in the Middle East. Mike will be replaced by long-time friend of the band, and former In The Midst Of Lions guitar player, Sam Penner, who will be appearing with the band as they headline their upcoming Fight The Silence tour."

"For today has always and will always be a band that is about loving people, we have no hatred towards any people regardless of what they believe or how they live. We may not agree on everything but Jesus loves you and died for you. And so would we. Blessings, For Today"

The band's frontman Mattie Montgomery also released a public statement to anyone affected by Mike's recent comments regarding homosexuality.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: For Today
Posted: 12.01.2013 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 45   Visited by: 188 users
13.01.2013 - 19:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.01.2013 at 09:59

Mr Promonex is teaching us some really good stuff. Pay attention idiots.

Actually I'm learning more from Starchild.
13.01.2013 - 19:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.01.2013 at 19:19

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.01.2013 at 09:59
Mr Promonex is teaching us some really good stuff. Pay attention idiots.

Actually I'm learning more from Starchild.

Psssss! Hey Joe... Over here! Pssssss!

[whisper]I think he was joking[/whisper]
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.01.2013 - 19:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.01.2013 at 19:22

Psssss! Hey Joe... Over here! Pssssss!

[whisper]I think he was joking[/whisper]

I think you forget who you're talking about
13.01.2013 - 19:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.01.2013 at 19:28
I think you forget who you're talking about

Yeah, but sometimes I like to have faith in certain people... Hence the word "think".
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2013 - 08:14
lightndw

All of you give metal a bad name
14.01.2013 - 16:46
thundercunt
Account deleted
I hope this cat don think we brothas givin metal a bad name jus cuz we tolerate gays
specially considerin one a the biggest metal bands has a gay singer
15.01.2013 - 00:52
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by ~Starchild~ on 13.01.2013 at 04:07

You're right that -according to the bible- "practising homosexuality" is the sin. But unfortunately, this problem is much bigger. In reality, the majority of the Christians does not make this difference between homosexuality and its practise. Just go on some random homo-friendly facebook page and read some comments. They do condemn the homosexuals and so does the church. And as long as religious institutions and people like Mike Reynolds can hide behind "religious freedom" to spread their hate and people do not even consider this as a problem, it is no wonder that so many gays are still afraid to come out and that the suicide rate of homosexuals is 4-7 times higher than the one of heterosexuals.

To be honest, I don't consider religious freedom as a problem. You can't embrace diversity and pluralism if you exclude opinions you don't like. Everybody is entitled to his opinion in my book. What I do consider a problem however is religion's claim to be correct and infallible in combination with its massive impact it has on society and the stupidity of people. So it's true, I don't consider it a problem that he has a homophobic opinion, but I do consider it a problem that religious people think they know they are right when they only believe they are right. And I consider it a problem that these people have a strong political lobby, especially in the US. So yeah, I didn't really take the context into account when making the last post. And this is actually too broad a subject to delve into it any deeper, even though I'd love to. Just ain't got the time and the nerve for it now.

Anyway, here's a beautiful blog post about this subject of homosexuality in the eyes of Christianity: http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.01.2013 - 16:46
~Starchild~

Written by Promonex on 15.01.2013 at 00:52

And this is actually too broad a subject to delve into it any deeper, even though I'd love to. Just ain't got the time and the nerve for it now.

Ok, I'm not gonna bother you any longer Just wanted to clarify one last thing:
Written by Promonex on 15.01.2013 at 00:52

To be honest, I don't consider religious freedom as a problem. You can't embrace diversity and pluralism if you exclude opinions you don't like.

I don't consider religious freedom as a problem, however, in my opinion, it ends where you start to bully other people. These are not trivial opinions like when I say "I think R'n'B sucks", it's hate speech. For me this is exactly the same as an extreme right-wing political party which is discriminating against blacks. It's not an opinion, it's incitement of the people. And that has nothing to do with "embracing diversity and pluralism", I consider that as tolerating or even accepting intolerance which, in itself, is for me already a problem and is something I will never do. It hasn't anything to do with it being "opinions" that I don't like either. I don't like 99% of what Angela Merkel says, but I still think she has the right to speak out.

I do agree with everything you said about knowing and believing and the strong lobby, though. I knew this blog post already, it's really wonderful. Especially knowing that it has changed the world a bit. I don't know if you have read this response of a mother, it immediately went viral as well.
15.01.2013 - 23:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by ~Starchild~ on 15.01.2013 at 16:46
I don't consider religious freedom as a problem, however, in my opinion, it ends where you start to bully other people.

Exactly.
"Your rights end where mine begin".
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.01.2013 - 21:38
Darkside Momo
Retired
To Promo and Starchild: didn't know both links. Both great reads all around. Inspiring
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
18.01.2013 - 21:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Darkside Momo on 18.01.2013 at 21:38

To Promo and Starchild: didn't know both links. Both great reads all around. Inspiring

I read them too. I thought those were good examples and inspiring stories. I hope they are right and things are starting to change.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.01.2013 - 21:45
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by BloodTears on 18.01.2013 at 21:42

I read them too. I thought those were good examples and inspiring stories. I hope they are right and things are starting to change.

well the daddy's blog was all about not just hoping, but teaching by example
----

I am awake"
18.01.2013 - 21:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Darkside Momo on 18.01.2013 at 21:45

True that. It's funny because we have same-sex civil unions in Portugal but our society is still largely against it and discriminates LGBT people a lot. We are full of contradictions as is religion.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.01.2013 - 21:58
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by BloodTears on 18.01.2013 at 21:53

Written by Darkside Momo on 18.01.2013 at 21:45

True that. It's funny because we have same-sex civil unions in Portugal but our society is still largely against it and discriminates LGBT people a lot. We are full of contradictions as is religion.

In France it's the big societal debate right now. F. Hollande promised gay would have marriage rights during the presidential election, and now the debate is in full swing before the law text is written and discussed in the parliament.
It seems most people just don't care, whatever last sunday's big demonstration tried to prove.
----

I am awake"
19.01.2013 - 07:54
afu

They said they would die for me..... Can I get an amen?

Hits total: 3908 | This month: 13