Metal Storm logo
Scar Symmetry

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 10:36
I could not find an existing topic for this fantastic melodic death metal band, so I decided to post my own. Scar Symmetry are easily my favourite melodic death metal band of all time, and that is saying something considering that they have only been active for about two years. Still, in these two years they have managed to put out two fantastic melodeath masterpieces that rank up there with the very best in the genre, and it is rumoured that these guys are going to be very big now that they have managed to nail a contract with Nuclear Blast.

So what is it that makes Scar Symmetry such a great band? First of all it is the excellent musicianship. From the fantastic, speedy and no-nonsense guitar solos to the extremely tastefully used keyboard material, the music is right out there. Everyone in this band knows exactly what he is doing and together, they make some of the best and most memorable songs that I have ever heard. Scar Symmetry certainly aren't familiar with the term 'filler'.

Another particularly brilliant part of Scar Symmetry's music is the vocals, all done by singer Christian Älvestam. His voice is incredibly diverse, capable of doing good clean vocals as well as death grunts and even the occasional scream. What is even more brilliant is that he can alternate between these styles extremely quickly.

Their two albums, Symmetric In Design (2005) and Pitch Black Progress (2006) are two great feats of melodeath music and both have gotten rave reviews and album of the month notations all around the world. Symmetric In Design is easily the heaviest of the two albums, more closely related to death metal than the sophomore album, but Pitch Black Progress has some pretty heavy tracks as well. Overall, the second album is much more melodic and the clean vocals are executed better than ever. Many fans will not care for the amount of clean vocals on this album, but there is enough deathsy goodness for them to enjoy as well.

My favourite tracks from both albums? Chaosweaver, Dominion, Reborn, The Illusionist, Mind Machine, The Kaleidoscopic God. Trust me though when I say that not one song from either of these albums will really disappoint. They're all good in their own right!

Check out a sample of Reborn here: Click
11.10.2009 - 05:33
Archetype

Pretty decent band, I certainly enjoyed their previous releases although I've yet to hear anything from DMD.
12.10.2009 - 17:34
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Ok well Ive had about 2 weeks from my previous post to let the album sink in. Problem is I havent bought it (eventually I will) but at the moment I only have a relatively poor version of it (think it was ripped from myspace so the quality is SHITE!) but yeah its a good album. Songwriting is as good as always, in general this is a typcial Scar Symmetry album without any drastic changes apart from the vocals.

The vocals are fine, growls are almost indistinguishable from Christian's vocals but the MAIN difference between this and previous albums is the vocal melodies and how well the vocals were written. The reason nothing stuck in my head is probably because the new clean vocalist doesnt quite have the range or talent when it comes to writing seriously epic vocal lines, therefore the choruses dont reach those soaring climaxes of before. But thats just how things go, the new guy obviously had HUGE boots to fill and he always had it coming his way trying to live up to the "legacy" of Alvestam.

I still think he did a good job, perhaps not as great as Christian but still he has a decent voice and perhaps tried to play it safe on this album. Overall I think the album is about an 8/10 for me, which is still a pretty good rating bearing in mind I rated "Holographic Universe" 9+/10. So the lack of punch created in the vocal melodies and overall "sameness" of the choruses is what brings the album down for me, but musically its still very good.
13.10.2009 - 05:06
His Eminence
Account deleted
I haven't heard anything yet from Dark Matter Dimensions, so I'll wait to form my own opinion. But Christian was a damn good vocalist, and I'm sad that he's gone.
16.10.2009 - 17:37
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Westvann on 10.10.2009 at 21:20

if they want christian, start to listen to solution. 45... they are pretty good...

Uhhh...based on what? The teaser?? Noone can positively say that its great, and secondly the teaser is more than a year old, hence the song
"Clandestinity" is more than a year old. It makes sense to say it might have potential but none of us have heard nearly enough to say "theyre pretty good". So your comment is premature.
16.10.2009 - 21:32
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2009 at 17:37

if they want christian, start to listen to solution. 45... they are pretty good...

Uhhh...based on what? The teaser?? Noone can positively say that its great, and secondly the teaser is more than a year old, hence the song
"Clandestinity" is more than a year old. It makes sense to say it might have potential but none of us have heard nearly enough to say "theyre pretty good". So your comment is premature.

WOOO OOHH WOOO OOOH! ...what's that sound? The self appointed forum police strike again.
16.10.2009 - 21:39
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2009 at 21:32

WOOO OOHH WOOO OOOH! ...what's that sound? The self appointed forum police strike again.

Dont even get me started on you, little blue dwarf...for someone who rates 90% of everything he has ever heard 9/10 you have the least amount of say on this entire fucking site and very little credibility. And his comment was premature, noone has heard anything on Solution.45 apart from a medley teaser on youtube in shit quality. So before you try to be clever, and fling stupid sarcastic remarks around, why not try to be informed once in a while then maybe you will be able to give correct facts on matters instead of being a little midget biting at the heels.
16.10.2009 - 21:44
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2009 at 21:39

Dont even get me started on you, little blue dwarf...for someone who rates 90% of everything he has ever heard 9/10 you have the least amount of say on this entire fucking site and very little credibility. And his comment was premature, noone has heard anything on Solution.45 apart from a medley teaser on youtube in shit quality. So before you try to be clever, and fling stupid sarcastic remarks around, why not try to be informed once in a while then maybe you will be able to give correct facts on matters instead of being like a little dog biting at the heels.

Dude, learn to laugh at a joke instead of get butt hurt over it.
16.10.2009 - 21:49
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2009 at 21:44

Dont even get me started on you, little blue dwarf...for someone who rates 90% of everything he has ever heard 9/10 you have the least amount of say on this entire fucking site and very little credibility. And his comment was premature, noone has heard anything on Solution.45 apart from a medley teaser on youtube in shit quality. So before you try to be clever, and fling stupid sarcastic remarks around, why not try to be informed once in a while then maybe you will be able to give correct facts on matters instead of being like a little dog biting at the heels.

Whatever dude, its much more fun when you hit back at me...disguising a comment as a joke after my response is much less entertaining. And we both know your comment wasnt supposed to be "funny", but no worries - next time just write a proper response and we can commence.
16.10.2009 - 23:56
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2009 at 21:49

Whatever dude, its much more fun when you hit back at me...disguising a comment as a joke after my response is much less entertaining. And we both know your comment wasnt supposed to be "funny", but no worries - next time just write a proper response and we can commence.

Whatever man. You can't handle a little humor. You would be a more pleasant person to discuss topics with if you didn't act so prude.

As for the new Scar Symmetry album, it didn't really impress me much. And I am not just talking about the vocals. It just doesn't seem quite right over all. Like they hurried to get a new music written. I think they should have toured off their last album a little more. I feel like such a good album deserved a little more promoting. I guess the feeling that I get from the new album is that it's like they were trying to hurry something out to prove they didn't need Christian.
17.10.2009 - 00:06
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2009 at 23:56

Written by Guest on 16.10.2009 at 21:49

Whatever man. You can't handle a little humor. You would be a more pleasant person to discuss topics with if you didn't act so prude.

As for the new Scar Symmetry album, it didn't really impress me much. And I am not just talking about the vocals. It just doesn't seem quite right over all. Like they hurried to get a new music written. I think they should have toured off their last album a little more. I feel like such a good album deserved a little more promoting. I guess the feeling that I get from the new album is that it's like they were trying to hurry something out to prove they didn't need Christian.

Im very cheery in fact, but you have to admit its not the easiest thing to "spot" humour on a forum so yeah...

anyway back on topic once again I have to slightly disagree with you on your point. The only time the band has had a significant gap between albums is between PBP and HU which was 2 years, they followed up their debut album with PBP within a year - same as the new album which also came one year after PBP. Anyway, that might be nit-picking, but I dont think they have musically become sloppy or ran out of ideas....in fact the new album is more complex and challenging in some aspects. I think you might find, the way I did, that vocals is in fact the thing drawing the album back from the previous ones.

I initially thought the same, the album didnt quite feel right but then I realised that their vocals plays such a big role and actually fills the role of another instrument so when the vocal melodies arent quite as awesome as they used to be it makes the entire album feel sort of not quite as good. Who knows, you said its not the vocals, but personally I felt the same as you and figured it was the vocals afteral lol
18.10.2009 - 01:27
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.10.2009 at 23:56

The band replaced their vocalist, so releasing a new album a.s.a.p. is a smart idea seeing as they need to promote their new lineup and not only focus on their previous release(s) as much. The new record showcases the new vocalists' inputs and their talents - no point in them singing only Christian Älvestam's written vocal melodies and trying to fill his shoes.

As for the quality of the new record apart from the vocal melodies not coming out as strong as before, I can't hear any digression in musicality.
18.10.2009 - 03:00
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I personally found the melodies of the new album very unconventional and unique, but at the same time it works. Also, there are three types of vocal styles for the band to employ, so the band has actually more scope in terms of writing music.

I hope someone knows what I am trying to express =/
----
loves 小巫
05.01.2010 - 22:59
His Eminence
Account deleted
So I finally gave the new album a listen, and I'm quite pleased. The vocals are pretty good (admittedly not as good as the previous efforts) and I like some of the more complex song structures. In my opinion this is better than Holographic Universe.
30.01.2010 - 18:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I am a huge fan of Scar Symmetry! I was very sad when I heard that Christian was leaving the band, as his immense vocal talents were one of the things that made the band special. I had severe doubts they could even continue, let alone unleash an amazing album like ''Dark Matter Dimensions''! That album was the biggest surprise for me last year, and I feel glad that the loss of Christian didn't spell the end for Scar Symmetry. As well as the great dual vocals, I also love the twin leads of Jonas Kjellgren and Per Nilsson. Definitely one of my fave bands, and one of the only more modern bands that I truly love.
14.04.2010 - 17:04
Kennoth

I absolutely adore them. There are few bands that won me over as quickly as these guys did. When I heard The Illusionist and Morphogenesis, I was in love. Too bad the Christian took off though, those two guys they brought as a replacement? I just don't feel them.

They said they would hire two singers so they could perform live better, but they're not doing the job even half right they way Christian did. I'll be giving another shot at the new album these days, but I don't really like it, aside Noumenon and Phenomenon, which is somewhat noteworthy.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
09.09.2010 - 22:57
KryiisKarl

Fell in love with that band with Holographic then jumped on their previous efforts.
What a band to my ears !! Incredible vocals, fantastic guitar work and so on...I got very much impressed, especially I only tried them out of my usual curiosity.
Thanks to them I think I could get into 2 other excellent bands like Textures and Dark Age.
I definetely should give a try with their last release. Been utterly deceived by former singer's departure (it takes two to replace him !! I guess that says something) which probably is the reason this last album is still on my "next albums to listen to" list with (many) other ones.
----
Over my head I hear music.
07.01.2011 - 14:21
ShadowKind

I love SS and I think there new stuff is ok, but I guess I must be a Christian fanboy Cause I love the new Solution .45 album
----
Metal is my life (ShadowKind www.last.fm/music/shadowkind/delusion
07.01.2011 - 17:04
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by ShadowKind on 07.01.2011 at 14:21

I love SS and I think there new stuff is ok, but I guess I must be a Christian fanboy Cause I love the new Solution .45 album

What did you think of his work on the latest Demon Hunter album?
----
(space for rent)
14.01.2011 - 02:07
ShadowKind

Written by Dane Train on 07.01.2011 at 17:04

Written by ShadowKind on 07.01.2011 at 14:21

What did you think of his work on the latest Demon Hunter album?

I just can't quite get into it, I like Christian's cleans. It's the reason I decided to start up my band, ours is not as sugary sweet but still I like melodies.
----
Metal is my life (ShadowKind www.last.fm/music/shadowkind/delusion
14.01.2011 - 04:47
Kennoth

I didn't even know he was in Demon Hunter (I didn't even know OF DH in the first place).

Your thoughts on Miseration?
----
16.01.2011 - 23:18
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Kennoth on 14.01.2011 at 04:47

I didn't even know he was in Demon Hunter (I didn't even know OF DH in the first place).

Your thoughts on Miseration?

He was a guest vocalist on the last Demon Hunter record. They are a great band, one of my personal favorites, I am actually wearing one of their shirts right now.
----
(space for rent)
24.05.2012 - 12:39
SunFalcon

The Last Album Is From Their Best Albums ''The Unseen Empire''
----
What Left Of Me Shall Build A New World
26.05.2012 - 02:26
Mr. Blonde

With Christian this band is fucking awesome! But without him they are... okay. Unseen Empire is decent but I do sort of prefer Christian's latest project Solution.45. I don't even care if it sounds fanboi'ish. They had to replace him with two dudes and put together they can't equal his talent.
27.08.2014 - 06:45
EnterDeath24601
Account deleted
I actually found Solution .45 before I listened to Scar Symmetry. I thought that Christian Älvestam's voice was impeccable and I somewhat became an Älvestam fangirl. For Aeons Past wasn't enough anymore so I decided to check out other projects that he was involved in.

The first time I sat down and listened to Pitch Black Progress in its entirety, I was stunned. The instrumentation was catchy and awesome, but not too light, and Christian Älvestam sounded even better than I thought he did in Solution .45. Never had I ever enjoyed an album as much as I liked that one. Especially the song "Oscillation Point." For about a month and a half, the song became kind of an addiction for me and I would listen to it about 30 times a day (I listened to it about 250 times in the first three days). I also listened to Holographic Universe (which I enjoy overall more than Pitch Black Progress now, although I consider that to be my favorite album because it's had a bigger impact on me) and Symmetric in Design (I also thought this was great).

After a while, I finally decided to listen to The Unseen Empire and I can't say that I was terribly impressed. I can't get into the new vocalists very much, but in my eyes they do have very big footsteps to feel. However, the songs themselves just didn't seem as enjoyable as those on the first three albums. I still haven't felt like listening to Dark Matter Dimensions. Sometimes I think that I should give their new sound another chance, but I'm always too lazy to do so.
27.08.2014 - 18:06
Kennoth

The thing is that they didn't just replace the vocalist, they have a new sound now as well. Unseen Empire is for me a big step forward from Dark Matter Dimensions, but still not nearly in the close vein as their first three albums. Still, I'll definitely check out their upcoming albums.
----
29.08.2014 - 03:46
Kennoth

Well that's a bit harsh. Care to elaborate?
----
29.08.2014 - 03:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Kennoth on 29.08.2014 at 03:46

Knowing deadone, you're going to get a rant about keyboards.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.08.2014 - 04:01
Kennoth

Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.08.2014 at 03:49

Knowing deadone, you're going to get a rant about keyboards.

Hmm if that's the case, then I'd rather be blissfully ignorant.
----
29.08.2014 - 04:49
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by deadone on 29.08.2014 at 04:29

- Annoying clean vocals
- Generic melo death growl bits
- Overproduced to buggery
- Irritiating keyboards
- Lack of memorable moments/songs
- Generic heavy verse, pop chorus formula that is cut and pasted ad nauseum

Not every modern metal sounds like that.
I'd say only melodeath and metalcore.
... And avenged sevenfold
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.08.2014 - 05:28
Kennoth

Looks like someone needs to remove a stick from their ass.

You can find fault and cliche elements in any genre or subgenre of music. I can list some shit I don't like from thrash, black and other subgenres of metal music, but I don't really care enough to do so. I'm not saying some of your complaints aren't valid, but in the end it all comes down to one thing: subjective taste. I don't find Scar Symmetry overly produced (in fact I think it's laughable to say something like that about them when compared to the likes of Soilwork or Sonic Syndicate), nor do I think their keyboards are annoying for example. So each to his own.
----