Release date: October 2014

01. Soften Our Evil Hearts
02. Red Sulphur
03. Marriage In Death
04. Soothing But Cruel
05. Belly Of The Closed House
06. Torture Of Fire
07. Venus Armata

Some of the strongest bands within the music spectrum are those that can change their style drastically without losing any momentum in the process. A recent example of this within the metal genre would be the mysterious Menace Ruine duo. These Canadians emerged from the shadows not even a decade ago with their demo and debut, hazy blends of atmospheric black metal and doom, only to make a complete 180 and descend into a more folky form of drone. 2014's Venus Armata continues in this direction, and is an absolutely magnificent release.

If you've been liking what Menace Ruine have been doing lately, chances are good that you'll be happy with Venus Armata. More or less following the formula of the band's few preceding albums, the music here is monotonous and droney, but also tinged with a distinctly bright feeling that feels inherently warm and uplifting. The music is lulling and hypnotic, the perfect "fall back and get lost" type of stuff, but thankfully the consistently amazing vocals of Geneviève Beaulieu help immensely to keep it guided and lifted off the ground, and those who find the more uncompromising nature of drone bands like Sunn O))) and Moss to be a bit much may highly enjoy Menace Ruine from this perspective.

The production on Venus Armata is a lot more airy and loose than some of the band's previous releases, which felt a little more gritty and dense. In a way, this works to embellish upon Menace Ruine's neofolk element in perhaps the best way yet, for it helps to make the music feel a lot more atmospheric and choir-like. The use of organ and bell, on "Red Sulphur" and "Torture Of Fire" especially helps to bring out an almost medieval sort of aesthetic, and many more moments throughout Venus Armata almost feel as though you're listening to these guys playing in some sort of massive, 16th century cathedral.

In short, Venus Armata is yet another triumph from Menace Ruine, and in many ways it feels like the band's fullest embrace of their neofolk side to date. The music still is extremely droney, and there are even a few more murky moments among it that hint to the band's black metal roots ("Soothing But Cruel"), but unlike a lot of the band's previous material, this album feels a lot more like folk music applied in a drone style than vice versa. Because of its distinct personality and brighter-than-average mood for its style, this is an album that I really think drone and non-drone fans alike can find something to enjoy in. A must listen for those who appreciate atmospheric music of any sort.

Go join the Venus army.

Written on 29.11.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 104 users
29.11.2014 - 10:50
Rating: 9
Maratha

Will check it out. Good tip..!
29.11.2014 - 12:53
PocketMetal

From what I remember from their debut they were always in love with drone, it was black metal but lots of noise and feedback was involved. Some of the weirdest shit ever, honestly. Still haven't listened to this one, but I will. soon.
29.11.2014 - 19:28
Rating: 8
Susan
Smeghead
Great album; thanks for reviewing I agree that the consistently amazing vocals of Geneviève Beaulieu help immensely to keep it guided and lifted off the ground

Also, some of my favorite cover art ever.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
29.11.2014 - 21:14
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Susan on 29.11.2014 at 19:28

Some of my favorite cover art ever.

Yeah, what is it exactly? Perhaps the goddess Venus herself on the horse?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
29.11.2014 - 21:16
barnesy

I'm always confused by a 'NA' rating. What does this mean?
29.11.2014 - 21:23
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by barnesy on 29.11.2014 at 21:16

Different people use it in different ways. I typically do when I think that the music at question is unique to the point of not really being able to be given a rating, because there's very little (if any) music out there similar enough to compare it against, if that makes sense. Like I can't really say "good for you, this is how this style should be played, you get an 8!" because the style the band's producing is completely their own. I've used N/A in the past with stuff like Botanist, The Meads Of Asphodel, and Cloak Of Altering, generally really Avantgarde and nonconventional stuff that, like I said, I don't really think can be scored against any sort of pre-existing standard. I wouldn't call this album Avantgarde, but I still can't really think of anything else that it sounds like off the top of my head.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
29.11.2014 - 21:25
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by barnesy on 29.11.2014 at 21:16

And if you were asking about the abbreviation, it just means Non Available =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.11.2014 - 22:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Karlabos on 29.11.2014 at 21:25

*Not Applicable, actually, but close enough
----

~ II. VII
30.11.2014 - 03:26
J. N.
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 29.11.2014 at 21:14

"Aphrodite appeared in battle armour in Sparta... [and] Venus Armata or Armed Venus became a Renaissance convention."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Barbata
30.11.2014 - 11:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 30.11.2014 at 03:26

Written by Auntie Sahar on 29.11.2014 at 21:14

"Aphrodite appeared in battle armour in Sparta... [and] Venus Armata or Armed Venus became a Renaissance convention."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Barbata

So you are saying it's a tranny.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.11.2014 - 11:48
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.11.2014 at 11:44

Where the hell do you think the word hermAPHRODITE comes from? .
30.11.2014 - 11:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ilham on 30.11.2014 at 11:48

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.11.2014 at 11:44

Where the hell do you think the word hermAPHRODITE comes from? .

I knew that. I just wanted to say it bluntly for the lulz. xP
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.11.2014 - 12:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 29.11.2014 at 22:38

Written by Karlabos on 29.11.2014 at 21:25

*Not Applicable, actually, but close enough

And it also stands for Not Available
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.12.2014 - 00:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by PocketMetal on 29.11.2014 at 12:53

From what I remember from their debut they were always in love with drone, it was black metal but lots of noise and feedback was involved.

It was definitely drone influenced, I would say, but more so doomy drone, only with the latter releases did they begin to take more of a "pure" drone approach
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 3530 | This month: 14