Metal Storm logo
Best Use of Violin in Metal?

Original post

Posted by Ganondox, 21.08.2015 - 11:22
The violin has always been intriguing when it's used in metal, and it's been utilized in some many different ways. So what's your favorite use of violin? This is for bands, not specific songs, if you choose a band which is not listed they should have a dedicated violinist or have had one at some some point in time.

Poll

Which band best utilizes their violin?

Ne Obliviscarius
Other (name band)
My Dying Bride
SubRosa
Eluveitie
Turisas
Mägo de Oz
Dornenreich
Earthen Grave

Total votes: 102
07.09.2016 - 05:28
Ganondox

Written by Doge of Venice on 31.08.2015 at 08:19

Can I include a band with a dedicated Celloist instead?

No, because the cello has a much heavier sound than a violin, and thus functions much differently in a metal song, where the distinction between heavier and lighter instruments is important.
08.09.2016 - 00:15
Doge of Venice

Written by Ganondox on 07.09.2016 at 05:28

Written by Doge of Venice on 31.08.2015 at 08:19

Can I include a band with a dedicated Celloist instead?

No, because the cello has a much heavier sound than a violin, and thus functions much differently in a metal song, where the distinction between heavier and lighter instruments is important.

Good point.
19.09.2016 - 11:07
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Easily The Sins Of Thy Beloved
24.10.2016 - 10:15
ToMegaTherion

When it is used to compliment a bands guitar work a violin can be a very effective way of building an atmosphere in a song. Ne O do this very well. So they get my vote.
24.10.2016 - 12:41
Ernis
狼獾
I have to say that the violins of early Tristania and Sirenia are really haunting and contribute to the fact why I love this era of these two sister-bands. My Dying Bride, of course, has also some fine violin moments but I just had to bring out Sirenia and Tristania, especially as I didn't see them in the list above...
27.10.2016 - 10:10
Ganondox

Written by Ernis on 24.10.2016 at 12:41

I have to say that the violins of early Tristania and Sirenia are really haunting and contribute to the fact why I love this era of these two sister-bands. My Dying Bride, of course, has also some fine violin moments but I just had to bring out Sirenia and Tristania, especially as I didn't see them in the list above...

Two reasons. One is that despite being integral parts of the bands, they are technically session members, and I only listed bands with violinists who are offical members of the band. Second, I could only list so many bands, and I wanted to minimize the amount of symphonic power metal bands.
15.11.2016 - 21:04
Pikemaster

I could easily prefer Korpiklaani over every band in this discussion when they use to have violinist Hittavainen in their lineup. But that's just me...
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
16.11.2016 - 03:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Pikemaster on 15.11.2016 at 21:04

I could easily prefer Korpiklaani over every band in this discussion when they use to have violinist Hittavainen in their lineup. But that's just me...

Korpiklaani? You I am assuming you are kidding.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2016 - 03:51
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I know taste is subjective and it's totally not impossible that he actually prefers Korpiklaani's violin usage over all the others, but if I am to guess:
I take it he doesn't know most bands of the poll?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.11.2016 - 04:08
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Title track of Disillusion's debut.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.11.2016 - 21:15
Pikemaster

It seems really hard to share one's opinion over here but; Yes I have heard most of the bands in this poll. Yes, I still think Voice of Wilderness (Korpiklaani album) has many songs with awesome violin work. Maybe you guys don't understand things like me I don't know. Probably should just say something nice about My Dying Bride
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
21.12.2016 - 23:01
BEHEMOTH 1

Forgot elvenking
23.01.2017 - 23:55
VIG
Account deleted
I think SubRosa makes great use of violin, but A Forest Of Stars uses violins better, check it out.
07.04.2017 - 09:19
Winter Heathen

I just gave my vote to Eluveite. \m/
----
Power metal incarnate.
03.01.2018 - 23:51
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Promethian Misery - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrrkr1XUAdY

She distorts the violin and uses it like a guitar.
06.02.2018 - 15:18
Metren
Dreadrealm
The best use of a violin in metal is as something to rest the guitarist's/bassist's/drummer's drinks on
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
17.02.2018 - 05:40
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Metren on 06.02.2018 at 15:18

The best use of a violin in metal is as something to rest the guitarist's/bassist's/drummer's drinks on

Aww, I was hoping for some violin solos on the next Dreadrealm album. How about a clarinet, then?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.02.2018 - 10:10
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by M C Vice on 17.02.2018 at 05:40

Aww, I was hoping for some violin solos on the next Dreadrealm album. How about a clarinet, then?

Would a trumpet be ok?
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
18.02.2018 - 01:51
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Metren on 17.02.2018 at 10:10

Written by M C Vice on 17.02.2018 at 05:40

Would a trumpet be ok?

Not really a fan of brass, except for saxophone. And I can never remember if it counts as brass or not.
You could copy Judas Priest and play the cutlery draw.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
18.02.2018 - 14:51
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by M C Vice on 18.02.2018 at 01:51

Not really a fan of brass, except for saxophone. And I can never remember if it counts as brass or not.

It is most often made of brass, but it doesn't count as a brass, but a woodwind, due to how the sound is produced. Blow into a sax without doing anything else and nothing happens.

...aaaaaaand back on topic, I was probably being too harsh on the use of violins in metal (though I was joking obviously). I do like Eluveitie's classic tracks that feature violin for example.
----
18.02.2018 - 23:03
solar

Since no one mentioned them, I'm gonna recommend Jelonek. All the violin in metal you were craving for.