Metal Storm logo
Post the worst vocalists that you know

Original post

Posted by Karlabos, 09.01.2016 - 16:45
Hey guys,

Which are the most obnoxious vocals you know?
Could be just a case of very bad vocals you decide to point out for the lulz or a case of terrible vocals but which kinda suit the music in a strange way. Your call.
Could be any genre really, but I'd like the discussion to stay only in a very high level of bad. So try to be very selective with your choices and speak up only the real worthy ones, and not that "kind of bad/could be better" vocals that you think a band has.

So please, start posting =]
13.01.2016 - 14:04
satthia
Burton C. Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CniXIMb0oo
17.01.2016 - 10:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
The vocalist on Symphony X's first album is a classic.
----
17.01.2016 - 10:28
slim pickings
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 17.01.2016 at 10:26

The vocalist on Symphony X's first album is a classic.

Kamelot's first vocalist was worse
18.01.2016 - 12:14
immortal83
Tom Araya is terrible, but I love it, and I think that really goes with Slayer style. In fact, I can't imagine Slayer with another vocalist.
Dave Mustaine is a singer that fits perfectly in this category, as someone mentioned it before.
Also the first vocalist from Anubis Gate, Torben Askholm, can ruin the album without any doubt.
There are also strange cases of vocalists that may look awful at first time like John Patrick Jr. McDonald of Crimson Glory and Mike Sanders of Toxik. But after several times of playing the song, then you get used to that kind of voice and they are great, at least for me.
30.03.2016 - 01:27
@gent_-_orange
Nattramn from silencer absolutely sucks, I can't understand how people like him at all.
13.04.2016 - 22:18
Enteroctopus
Dude from Immortal is fairly horrible. I like it anyway, though.

He sounds like a frog struggling with an abnormally large bowel movement.
14.04.2016 - 01:50
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
The vocalist from Haken - God does he ruin what otherwise should be dominating prog metal. Just can't get past the shit vocals.
----
rekt
14.04.2016 - 05:05
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by tea[m]ster on 14.04.2016 at 01:50

The vocalist from Haken - God does he ruin what otherwise should be dominating prog metal. Just can't get past the shit vocals.

So it's like Divina Enema? =D
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.04.2016 - 14:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
The girls in Babymetal are terrible. The ruin the otherwise okay music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.04.2016 - 08:06
Lord_Regnier
Revocation have an awful vocalist who ruins everything.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
17.04.2016 - 21:08
Paz
Elite
I hate Chino Moreno (Deftones/Palms) with all my heart, mind, body, and soul.
17.06.2016 - 12:00
Overrwatcher
I know a lot of people really really don't like Periphery's vocals, I actually like him but I can see the hate. "He hits all the right notes, it's just that the notes are totally gay" summed it up perfectly. Apparently his live vocals are pretty bad, he can't hit the notes. I'm seeing them in a few months, time to see if it's true.

I absolutely despise the vocal work of Tom Araya from Slayer. I love the instrumental work, but then you have a mildly disgruntled old man yelling at clouds. It just clashes so much with the music IMO.

Danny Worsnop from Asking Alexandria was pretty bad. His screams were very unremarkable and his clean vocals were godawful. His replacement is so much better.

Oliver Sykes from Bring Me The Horizon used to be a very good deathcore-styled vocalist, and his screams and louder clean vocals are still good but his soft vocals have always been his weakness. Unfortunately that's most of his sound now. His voice is flat-out awful live nowadays, to the point where the band sings more than him. Jordan (the keyboard) is a better vocalist than him. If you are going to do harsh vocals, learn proper technique or else you end up like Oli.

Anders Fridén from In Flames, while not the worst vocalist, has always been the weak point of the band. His pre-Clayman stuff was good enough to get the job done and sometimes stand out. Clayman introduced an absolutely godawful screaming style that single-handedly makes it one of my least favorite In Flames albums. Reroute To Remain improved the screams, although they still weren't good. Enough that it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment, as it's one of my favorite albums from them. Let's not talk about his Jonathan Davis wannabe vocals on Soundtrack To Your Escape. Come Clarity was actually his high point, his screams sounded great for once. The ending scream for "Crawl Through Knives" is what single-handedly got me into harsh vocals and metal. I realized, holy shit that was actually very impressive, all of this stuff takes a lot of skill. A Sense Of Purpose was embarrassing though, a grown fucking man prancing around and whining like a 15 year old. Sounds Of A Playground Fading introduced better clean vocals that although listenable, it's obvious he's not suited for it and it's sometimes absolutely grating to hear. And the soft sound on Siren Charms doesn't work very well. In general he's been a slightly-below-average vocalist for a formerly great band.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
26.02.2019 - 15:29
aradralami
Written by satthia on 13.01.2016 at 14:04

Burton C. Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CniXIMb0oo

Russell's chorus was awesome, and Dave's part wasn't bad, it was just a touch sloppy (especially compared to Petrucci's part)
13.03.2019 - 00:36
nikarg
Staff
I just stumbled upon this atrocity.
13.03.2019 - 03:10
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Matte Andersson of Godgory.

Well, technically, I've never heard a single Godgory song, but I once owned the album Solace Me from Andersson's project Grave Flowers.

After a few seconds, I felt an irresistible urge to torture my guinea pig (which I loved).
Luckily, my mother entered my room before the second song started. The guinea pig was unhurt, but she found me hiding under my blankets, in cold sweat, eyes wide open, in a foetal position.

Well, I'm exaggerating a bit now, but the true core of the story is that Solace Me was the very first and last CD ever I intentionally destroyed to prevent accidental listening.

His voice is horribly amateurish. Avoid!
----
signatures = SPAM
13.03.2019 - 14:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Starvynth on 13.03.2019 at 03:10

... but I once owned the album Solace Me from Andersson's project Grave Flowers.

After a few seconds, I felt an irresistible urge to torture my guinea pig (which I loved).
Luckily, my mother entered my room before the second song started. The guinea pig was unhurt, but she found me hiding under my blankets, in cold sweat, eyes wide open, in a foetal position.

Well, I'm exaggerating a bit now, but the true core of the story is that Solace Me was the very first and last CD ever I intentionally destroyed to prevent accidental listening.

His voice is horribly amateurish. Avoid!

I still own the picture diisc vinyl of Solace Me and also the CD version
But I never spin it due to, indeed, the vocals. Musically it is really fine gothic/doom, but GODDAMNIT, those vocals.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2019 - 15:51
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2019 at 14:20

I still own the picture disc vinyl of Solace Me and also the CD version
But I never spin it due to, indeed, the vocals. Musically it is really fine gothic/doom, but GODDAMNIT, those vocals.

And I thought it was just me collecting albums for the sake of possessing them only.

Actually, I have quite a long list of CD's I never heard more than once. And in most cases, that is due to their horrible vocals.

Dark Millennium - Diana Read Peace (it's not the sound of his voice bugging me, but his style of singing)
Fester - Silence
Lake Of Tears - Headstones
Confessor - Condemned (literally unbearable)
Kroda - Fimbulvinter
Master's Hammer - The Jilemnice Occultist
etc.

Maybe I'm too picky, but the vocals on these albums ruined everything for me.
----
signatures = SPAM
13.03.2019 - 16:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Starvynth on 13.03.2019 at 15:51

Confessor - Condemned (literally unbearable)

It took me ages to get used to the vocals. But nowadays I don't mind them. Remember seeing them with with Carcass, Cathedral and Entombed on the Gods Of Grind Tour in 1992 and not being able to finish watching their set due to the vocals, but picked up the Condemned CD nevertheless, hahahahahaha

Quote:

Master's Hammer - The Jilemnice Occultist

Somehow I only spun that album three times at most. Not sure if it was because of the vocals. Their debut Ritual I still spin once in a while and I don't have any problems with the vocals on that one.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.03.2019 - 17:51
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.03.2019 at 16:16

Remember seeing them with with Carcass, Cathedral and Entombed on the Gods Of Grind Tour in 1992 and not being able to finish watching their set due to the vocals, but picked up the Condemned CD nevertheless, hahahahahaha

That is me!

Grabbed everything I could, back then in Düsseldorf if I recall correctly.
I still think this was the most prominent tour of the complete decade. Calling it 'Gods Of Grind' was kinda stupid (but catchy) and the four bands didn't really have too much in common - but yet, it worked out.
----
signatures = SPAM