Metal Storm logo
Generic European Power Metal - Good Or Bad?

Original post

Posted by Judas, 13.05.2007 - 15:23
So, I think the topic is pretty self-explanatory. What are your opinions on the multitude of European Power Metal bands around today, and why do you have that opinion? The style, often called 'Happy Power' or 'Flower Metal', is inspired by bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, and often uses neo-classical chord progressions along with soaring vocals, sing-along choruses, rollicking drums, frequent keyboards, and shredding guitarwork.

It's predictable, yes, and the lyrics, song-titles, and often even band names are horrendously cringe-worthy, but for me, nothing can brighten my mood and self-esteem better than some awesome tales of dragon slaying, princess rescuing, smiting with steel, and broken love, told in such a melodic and catchy manner.

Some bands in this area of Power Metal are Freedom Call, Magic Kingdom, Fairyland, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Power Quest, even Rhapsody Of Fire and Kamelot to an extent... If those names mean anything to you, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about! Powerscreams, catchy choruses, awesome melodies and a general feeling of invincibility and awesomeness, without feeling truly metal like Manowar. I'm a fan, but clearly it's not all I listen to. It's good in doses, to brighten the day, and to put a smile on my face, but if this was it, well, Metal would be pretty boring. Still, may this genre live forever!

Poll

What is your opinion on standard European Power Metal?

It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!
It's good in doses.
It depends on my mood/the occasion.
It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps.
It's uninspired, yet somewhat enjoyable.

Total votes: 245
20.10.2011 - 23:14
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 23:10

Written by Guest on 20.10.2011 at 23:05
Actually, I didn't coin the term myself. It's an option in the poll so...

Judging by how big a fan of power metal the OP is, I'm thinking the option was put there in jest.

Probably. I'll no longer say it's for WIMPS (It was in the poll option, I had to say it), but it still sucks gigantic table balls.
22.10.2011 - 02:13
JÄY
Metal slave
Well, the title says generic, which means nothing special....so of course thats no good. Then in the poll it says standard. Standard Euro power can be good in doses. I really love PM, when its done right....which is not often enough...and usually doent happen in Europe.
22.10.2011 - 05:15
ralph86
Power Metal is good in small doses. Gimme Prog Metal anyday!
22.10.2011 - 08:33
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by JÄY on 22.10.2011 at 02:13

Well, the title says generic, which means nothing special....so of course thats no good. Then in the poll it says standard. Standard Euro power can be good in doses. I really love PM, when its done right....which is not often enough...and usually doent happen in Europe.

Generic can mean that it is nothing special or that it is representative of a particular genre. I think the intention behind the OP is 'typical' power metal.

I suppose some of the power metal I enjoy falls under that description so I listen to it whenever the mood takes me, which of late seems to be less frequently, probably due to the rarity of decent new material.
22.10.2011 - 12:48
IronAngel
Generic simply means being a representative of a particular genus, in this case the genus of power metal. People are reading way too much into the choice of words. The question can be presented thus: do you enjoy the stylistic conventions that distinguish European power metal from other genres?
01.11.2011 - 21:25
fightwithsteel
Account deleted
Well, the word "generic" has a bad connotation, so I said I liked it in doses. The classic bands are good (Stratovarius, Helloween, etc.) and lots of the bands who wear those influences on their sleeves are good as well as long as they add a little bit of their own touch to the sound and don't try to sound EXACTLY like the band they're influenced by. Power Quest, for example, is a band that obviously falls into the "European power metal" category that I love. They have their own style, even if their lyrics or general characteristics (high vocals, lots of keyboards, fantasy lyrics, etc.) aren't all that original, but I would be able to tell it's them from a mile away. More or less, I find European power metal to be great when the bands actually have a recognizable sound, even if it's not original, and anywhere from great to somewhat enjoyable (but not always that exciting) when we're dealing with bands that aren't quite as unique but still have some talent (ex. Insania). I love power metal either way.
02.11.2011 - 00:08
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 01.11.2011 at 21:25

Well, the word "generic" has a bad connotation, so I said I liked it in doses. The classic bands are good (Stratovarius, Helloween, etc.) and lots of the bands who wear those influences on their sleeves are good as well as long as they add a little bit of their own touch to the sound and don't try to sound EXACTLY like the band they're influenced by. Power Quest, for example, is a band that obviously falls into the "European power metal" category that I love. They have their own style, even if their lyrics or general characteristics (high vocals, lots of keyboards, fantasy lyrics, etc.) aren't all that original, but I would be able to tell it's them from a mile away. More or less, I find European power metal to be great when the bands actually have a recognizable sound, even if it's not original, and anywhere from great to somewhat enjoyable (but not always that exciting) when we're dealing with bands that aren't quite as unique but still have some talent (ex. Insania). I love power metal either way.

Power Quest is the very definition of generic-as-fuck Flowermetal.
One of the shittiest, most mediocre Powermetal band I ever had the misfortune to hear.
Possibly the worst example you could choose if you want to talk about non-generic Powermetal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.11.2011 - 00:27
fightwithsteel
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 02.11.2011 at 00:08

Written by Guest on 01.11.2011 at 21:25

Power Quest is the very definition of generic-as-fuck Flowermetal.
One of the shittiest, most mediocre Powermetal band I ever had the misfortune to hear.
Possibly the worst example you could choose if you want to talk about non-generic Powermetal.

What makes them worse than the rest of flower metal bands out there? I mean, they are flower metal, there's no doubt there. If you don't like flower metal, than you won't like them. It's not for everyone, but you not liking it doesn't make it bad music. If you don't like it as "metal", that's fine, but that doesn't mean it lacks quality as music. And as far as flower metal goes, I think they do it much better than "flower" bands like Freedom Call or Sonata Arctica, and you can actually pick out a Power Quest song from a group of songs in the same genre (or at least I can). The same can't be said for lots of other bands. Bands like them just remind me about how great metal is because it can be so diverse and it has a lot to offer. What other genre of music can be so diverse but totally awesome at the same time to include Power Quest, Enslaved and Candlemass under the same banner? Metal is a whole other universe, and different artists have different things to bring to the table. It can't all be dark and it can't be all happy, and you're bound to have your extremes no matter what you're dealing with. Power Quest is on the brighter end of the spectrum.
03.11.2011 - 00:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Just listened to some Power Quest.

Didn't hear anything that inspired a paragraph-worthy response. Typical cheesy power metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.11.2011 - 00:58
fightwithsteel
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 00:31

Didn't hear anything that inspired a paragraph-worthy response. Typical cheesy power metal.

Well, that's to be expected from someone who "wouldn't touch power metal with a ten foot pole", don't you think? It's all opinion. I personally think they're good. Plus, lots of black metal can be just as cheesy as power metal, can't it? It's just darker cheese. I mean, you can't tell me that "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism" isn't a cheesy title, no matter how dark the music may sound. How about "Unholy Forces of Evil"? "I Am the Black Wizards"?
03.11.2011 - 01:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 03.11.2011 at 00:58
It's all opinion.

No matter what anyone says this entire thread is based on subjectivity, but when a band sounds exactly the same as 50 other bands in the same genre that... makes them generic - unoriginal, which is the exact opposite of what you were saying to RK. I'm just saying if you're going to defend a band the way you did at least defend one that stands out...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.11.2011 - 04:41
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Guest on 03.11.2011 at 00:58

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 00:31

Well, that's to be expected from someone who "wouldn't touch power metal with a ten foot pole", don't you think? It's all opinion. I personally think they're good. Plus, lots of black metal can be just as cheesy as power metal, can't it? It's just darker cheese. I mean, you can't tell me that "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism" isn't a cheesy title, no matter how dark the music may sound. How about "Unholy Forces of Evil"? "I Am the Black Wizards"?

I listen to my fair share of Power metal and to me Power Quest is a good example of how the genre can be 'typical'. You'll find cheese in all genres, some of it good/unique and some of it lacking in any sense of it's own identity. Personally I find Power Quest to be more than bland, but people have different tastes in cheese, some forgo it entirely probably due to some kind of lactose intolerance. This seems to be common among fans of 'more extreme' genres, but as you say such individuals would have to be careful of what they digest within their favourite genres as there is cheese to be found there as well.
03.11.2011 - 05:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by R'Vannith on 03.11.2011 at 04:41
...but as you say such individuals would have to be careful of what they digest within their favourite genres as there is cheese to be found there as well.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some cheese in the metal I listen to. Some of my favorite bands are overly melodic and absolutely abuse the keyboard element, but that wasn't my point of contention. I just had a problem with the way he presented a rather generic power metal band as something "completely original" and going against the grain of what is typical of the genre, when in reality he's simply promoting a band that falls victim to complete unoriginality.

Whether their music is "good" or "bad" (terrible terms, I know) is irrelevant to me.
----
03.11.2011 - 05:47
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 05:23

...but as you say such individuals would have to be careful of what they digest within their favourite genres as there is cheese to be found there as well.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some cheese in the metal I listen to. Some of my favorite bands are overly melodic and absolutely abuse the keyboard element, but that wasn't my point of contention. I just had a problem with the way he presented a rather generic power metal band as something "completely original" and going against the grain of what is typical of the genre, when in reality he's simply promoting a band that falls victim to complete unoriginality.

Whether their music is "good" or "bad" (terrible terms, I know) is irrelevant to me.

The problem I find is that most seem to automatically equate cheese with power metal. Either there is some logical explanation for this, such as there being far more power metal cheese than any other kind, or people groundlessly ridicule other genres in order to give themselves a sense of satisfaction that their favourite genre is 'less cheesy'. Another explanation might be that most consider that power metal cheese is just 'too cheesy'.

While we both agree that Power Quest is unoriginal isn't the fact that there are those out there who don't consider PQ as such as being suggestive that our opinion of what is 'generic' may be far from unanimous? That band for me is especially 'typical', yet for those who listen exclusively to Power metal, for example, they might find something original, within the limits of the genre itself, about their sound that we fail to recognise. Personally I find that extremely unlikely yet, in all honesty, it is a difficult claim to make that any band is 'typical' of anything without some contention.

While it may be true that PQ is unoriginal, it's inevitable that those who enjoy their music would disagree, or at least not feel as content as you or I in describing them as 'unoriginal'.
03.11.2011 - 16:35
fightwithsteel
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 03.11.2011 at 05:47

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 05:23

The problem I find is that most seem to automatically equate cheese with power metal. Either there is some logical explanation for this, such as there being far more power metal cheese than any other kind, or people groundlessly ridicule other genres in order to give themselves a sense of satisfaction that their favourite genre is 'less cheesy'. Another explanation might be that most consider that power metal cheese is just 'too cheesy'.

While we both agree that Power Quest is unoriginal isn't the fact that there are those out there who don't consider PQ as such as being suggestive that our opinion of what is 'generic' may be far from unanimous? That band for me is especially 'typical', yet for those who listen exclusively to Power metal, for example, they might find something original, within the limits of the genre itself, about their sound that we fail to recognise. Personally I find that extremely unlikely yet, in all honesty, it is a difficult claim to make that any band is 'typical' of anything without some contention.

While it may be true that PQ is unoriginal, it's inevitable that those who enjoy their music would disagree, or at least not feel as content as you or I in describing them as 'unoriginal'.

Well said. I was also under the impression that we're dealing with music that, at least in some sense, falls into the "generic" category, pretty much meaning that we're talking about artists who share lots of the same stylistic characteristics. Thus, discussing originality isn't really the point. Lots of power metal bands have the same formula (fast, melodic, keyboards, high vocals, etc.), but each artist puts their own touch into that. The actual building blocks for the music may be the same as other bands, but they put it together in a different way with their own style of songwriting. Nobody ever said that they were totally original (even I admitted that), but that's not the point. The point I was trying to make was that they are good at what they do, and that I personally like the unique touch they put on the already established style. I think they are better than Freedom Call, for example, because Freedom Call can be way too bombastic for their own good, but Power Quest doesn't overdo it with goofy sounding choirs, etc. They have more poetic lyrics than the majority of power metal bands, and the way they put words together sounds good (most of the time) (unlike "Paradise", by Stratovarius, for example, which is really bland, awkward, contrived writing). I think "For Evermore" blows away most of what Stratovarius writes. I personally think that their melodies are much better than those of lots of other bands (like Avantasia). Both Stratovarius and Freedom Call are bands I enjoy (Avantasia not so much), but I find Power Quest to have better music overall. It's all subjective though. To each his own.
03.11.2011 - 18:02
fightwithsteel
Account deleted
As a side note, I think classifying Lost Horizon as generic isn't entirely appropriate. They can be pretty vaired, sometimes serving striaght up traditional power metal (Sworn in the Metal Wind), and at other times are quite progressive with complex arrangements (Highlander). They're not really your average band, especially considering that they have (or had) Daniel Heiman, one of the best metal singers out there. They're up there with Blind Guardian as far as I'm concerned.