Metal Storm logo
Rotting Christ

Original post

Posted by AncientOrigins, 25.05.2006 - 13:07
Of course we also need a new Rotting Christ topic in the new forum, right?

Rotting Christ is my favourite band by far, and especially their first three full-length albums are my favourites (they don't have ANY bad release, though)

There've been rumors about a new Rotting Christ album for months, but only very few seem to be true:

- the album is in production
- "Last news is that I am still working on the new album and till now it sounds ...really occult, aggressive and as always dark melodic." - Sakis Tolis

Well, I hope it's going to be like Sakis says.

Your opinions about the band?

10.03.2007 - 14:49
Anathemani@c
If anyone asked me about Rotting Christ some years ago, I 'd say I hate these guys... But after listening to "After dark I feel", I aquired all of their alboums and noone dissapointed me, except from Genesis... This is the only alboum I dont like that much.. And finally, refering to their latest material, Sanctus Diavolos and now Theogonia are great releases... I strongly recommend them!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
11.03.2007 - 14:38
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
Rotting Christ is indeed a great band,they have a unique black metal sound that has nothing to do with the norther(or shall i say Norwegian)black metal style...They combine fast riffing with mystic and dark melodies and harsh vocals mainly...
They have changed a lot their style since their first releases...If you would like something that could be characterized Black/Death Metal check"Passage To Arcturo"

You should definetly check their album"Thy Mighty Contract"which is probably their best album ever...you can download from their site one song called The Sign of Evil Existence,listen it and then you will understand for what i am talking about...

For one period they released melodic black metal wokrs like"Triarchy of The Lost Lovers"Sleep of The Angels"A Dead Poem" which are great even if they are not so Black Metal albums...

Their release "Genesis"has seriously Killer songs within!!!I cant stop listening to "Lex Talionis"Under the Name of The Legion"you should definetly check this album,it is very dark and heavy driven...

Their album "Sanctus Diavolos"was very strange to me,i dont mean that i didnt like it,but when i listened to it i was a bit surprised...it has many fresh ideas in it and it is somehow a return to their old roots(Thy Might Contract)so it worths checking it...

For their last album"Theogonia"i cant say anything cuz i havent heard it...

Raise up the horns of Sin
15.03.2007 - 12:36
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
I got Theogonia some days ago and till then, I've been listening to it every day. Repeat button all the time. Awesome work, offensive and agressive music with great melodies. They put nice choirs with great vocal and instruments of the band. I have to check the lyrics to know some more about Greek mithology and their own world.

It is amazing how RC have the talent and have found a possibility to integrate the old RC brutality with the latest improvement and some ethno spices. Awesome growth. So transparent, clear, clean and polished. But still raw and brutal.
26.03.2007 - 09:11
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 12:36

I got Theogonia some days ago and till then, I've been listening to it every day. Repeat button all the time. Awesome work, offensive and agressive music with great melodies. They put nice choirs with great vocal and instruments of the band. I have to check the lyrics to know some more about Greek mithology and their own world.

It is amazing how RC have the talent and have found a possibility to integrate the old RC brutality with the latest improvement and some ethno spices. Awesome growth. So transparent, clear, clean and polished. But still raw and brutal.

My thoughts exactly! What else could I add to this, really?

Theogonia will certainly be among my melodic black metal releases of the year, if not all metal. I've recently become fascinated with bands who (in my opinion) grow stronger with age, become more aggressive, and generally do not rest on their previous accomplishments, and I think Rotting Christ is one of those bands. They have some great work in their earlier and mid-period releases, but Theogonia is amazing to me.

The track "Enuma Elish" is obscure yet accessible, and feels natural all at once for me. "Gaia Tellus" feels imposing and intense yet RC manages to leave us hints of beauty and glory lingering in the background that takes me to a different place than most bands would dare, or even new existed. A masterpiece song for me
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
26.03.2007 - 12:36
Anathemani@c
Quote:
My thoughts exactly! What else could I add to this, really?

Theogonia will certainly be among my melodic black metal releases of the year, if not all metal. I've recently become fascinated with bands who (in my opinion) grow stronger with age, become more aggressive, and generally do not rest on their previous accomplishments, and I think Rotting Christ is one of those bands. They have some great work in their earlier and mid-period releases, but Theogonia is amazing to me.

The track "Enuma Elish" is obscure yet accessible, and feels natural all at once for me. "Gaia Tellus" feels imposing and intense yet RC manages to leave us hints of beauty and glory lingering in the background that takes me to a different place than most bands would dare, or even new existed. A masterpiece song for me

I don't actually know if you have already heard their previous alboum "Sanctus Diavolos", but if you haven't do it immediately! It is an absolutely incerdible alboum! A MUST!!!!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
26.03.2007 - 13:41
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Talking about RC: in my opinion it is one of the most underrated bands of their genre. True: Sanctus Diavolos is A MUST and I think they have opened a new era of the band.
I'm anxiously expecting the near future gig in my country and hope that the new guitarist is also good live.
Will let you know.
If, I will survive it.
Hehehe...
28.03.2007 - 13:44
xymox
I like the band very much.They willbe visiting BG in several days.I have already seen them live and they have pretty good performance.My fav is Triarchy of the lost lovers
----
"...........Love can be as cold as grave
A one-way ticket to endless sorrow
An empire of gentle hate
Today without tomorrow..."

....As I now fall... fall into deprivation
Fall... fallen theres till tomorrow
Love hides the things youll
03.05.2007 - 10:04
Eight
Shapeshifter
I heard bout them but never actually listened their songs, before yesterday that is, downloaded their 'Theogonia' quite impressed me, will check their other stuff as soon as i will get bored with this one
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
03.05.2007 - 11:37
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Had a listen to both Genesis and Khronos albums after I stopped listening to them because I was going through a love/hate phase with them.

Enjoyed them just as a refreshing listen after such a long time... but really theres nothing all that "WOW" or exciting about the albums, and understandable why I found them borring after playing them every couple of days.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
06.05.2007 - 19:42
Lathronniel
hmmm...not one of my favourites...has good stuff but some aren't my style
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
31.05.2007 - 14:54
Grey_Dandelion
the most interesting hellenic band for me-a dead poem is my favourite but i havent heard all their disks yet!i hope soon...
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
31.05.2007 - 14:58
Ernis
狼獾
I once read they have some music in German as well....a song called "Der Perfekte Traum"....Haven't got any chance to get it yet....
31.05.2007 - 15:42
APOHAKC
The Bard
Great band, I missed them last mounth in Belgrade
Anyway, I don't know for German song
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
31.05.2007 - 22:57
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
Elizabeth Bathory indeed Rotting Christ are underrated(although they have a strong name at Europe and South America because they have a very active live touring)as a lot of black metal bands from other contries...for example who knows Antaeus??

I believe that this happens because most of the metalheads just check the Norwegian black metal scene,mabye because Norway plaeyd a great role in the black metal development...but if you really get into black metal you will find out that the second biggest black metal scene through 90's was in Greece...Bands Like:Rotting Christ,Varathron,Necromantia(Euronymous has been fotografed a lot of times with T-Shirt of them)Naer Mataron,Order of the ebon hand...and lot more

So it is metalheads fault...not just the promotion work

And

Theogonia is M-A-S-T-E-R-P-I-E-C-E
01.06.2007 - 01:34
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
I really like Rotting Christ but I wouldn't class them as black metal. I got "Theogonia" the other day and I think its amazing especially the opening track but I don't think i would class them as black metal.
Anyone else think they shouldn't be classed as black metal?
01.06.2007 - 16:45
Grey_Dandelion
Written by Guest on 01.06.2007 at 01:34

I really like Rotting Christ but I wouldn't class them as black metal. I got "Theogonia" the other day and I think its amazing especially the opening track but I don't think i would class them as black metal.
Anyone else think they shouldn't be classed as black metal?

its a mix of melodic gothic black and death..their style is different from one disk to another
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
01.06.2007 - 23:45
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
Hmmm lets say it better...Rotting Christ are NOT NORWEGIAN black metal,it is a huge difference....Their influences can be searched in bands like Bathory(of the first albums,Sakis has said in an interview that they are one of the biggest influences to him)Celtic Frost and in some parts at Venom...

Dont confuse black metal styles...it is a very rich genre...

An really i would not say that they have gothic metal elements,maybe only at "A Dead Poem"but i cant find any goth stuff within
02.06.2007 - 09:08
Grey_Dandelion
Written by Guest on 01.06.2007 at 23:45

Hmmm lets say it better...Rotting Christ are NOT NORWEGIAN black metal,it is a huge difference....Their influences can be searched in bands like Bathory(of the first albums,Sakis has said in an interview that they are one of the biggest influences to him)Celtic Frost and in some parts at Venom...

Dont confuse black metal styles...it is a very rich genre...

An really i would not say that they have gothic metal elements,maybe only at "A Dead Poem"but i cant find any goth stuff within

to be honest i dont really like putting labels on bands-i think that its a big success for a band to engulf elements from various music styles creating their own unique sound-rotting have made it i think...
----
03.06.2007 - 23:21
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Guest on 01.06.2007 at 23:45

Hmmm lets say it better...Rotting Christ are NOT NORWEGIAN black metal

who told that? :S

and anw.. Sanctus Diavolos i think is the "most gothic" album of RC, and genesis following.. The other albums have not anything to do with gothic music, atmosphere or any other gothic element
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
04.06.2007 - 22:06
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
Guyz,really...there are no gothic elements....nope not at all
But ok it is your opinion and i respect that so i dont want to argue about this...
But no gothic elements...:-)
04.06.2007 - 23:40
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Guest on 04.06.2007 at 22:06

Guyz,really...there are no gothic elements....nope not at all
But ok it is your opinion and i respect that so i dont want to argue about this...
But no gothic elements...:-)

heh, its ok re file. everyone has his own view....
----
06.06.2007 - 21:19
orathac
Account deleted
guys Rotting Crist is just Death Metal i hate those labes (atmospheric, viking, gothic, or whatever else) i just believe its raw Death Metal.

Rotting Christ makes me proud for my country
06.06.2007 - 21:36
APOHAKC
The Bard
I think that they have more black metal influence than death, and surely, I never heard any gothic influence in their music... but I agree with colegue above about genres... to many
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
07.06.2007 - 19:51
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 06.06.2007 at 21:36

I think that they have more black metal influence than death, and surely, I never heard any gothic influence in their music... but I agree with colegue above about genres... to many

Had you listened to A Dead Poem? that is basically a gothic/black album, and if they labelled as "gotic" so often, I would say it's just because of that release... the rest of their discography is certainly free of gothic infection.
08.06.2007 - 14:12
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Guest on 06.06.2007 at 21:19

guys Rotting Crist is just Death Metal i hate those labes (atmospheric, viking, gothic, or whatever else) i just believe its raw Death Metal.

death?? not at all...
----
08.06.2007 - 16:16
orathac
Account deleted
Written by VaronoZz on 08.06.2007 at 14:12

Written by Guest on 06.06.2007 at 21:19

death?? not at all...

well i can't really understand what Rotting Christ are i mean, Morbid Angel are totally Death Metal and Bathorys first 4 albums are totally Black Metal, Rotting Christ are something between those two or just both of them in the same time.

So about the music the are gothic atmospheric. ok well this is my opion
08.06.2007 - 20:27
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Rotting Christ are ROTTING CHRIST.... They are just unique... It was black metal.. but after the Triarchyy of the lost lovers they became more melodic, and thats the reason MWDaoloth left the band... But i can find some gothic elements as i said before in Sanctus Diavolos and a bit in Genesis... But i said gothic talking about the music and the atmosphere and not the lyrical themes...
----
10.06.2007 - 17:43
Damned-In-Black
Ignoring the genre, because it doesn't matter in the slightest... They're a great band, from the early works, to more recent. Though in my opinion Theogonia isn't one of their best, it's still a more than solid album and worth having (bought special edition, myself). I honestly can't decide what is my favourite Rotting Christ album, though. They're extremely consistent, even if the style has evolved through the years.
17.06.2007 - 23:27
Ernis
狼獾
I did some search and found out that the particular German song "Der Perfekte Traum" appeared on "Sleep of the Angels"....it's grand they're playing now here in Tallin on September the 2nd....I'd like to see them again....but well...I think I won't be able to make it there....
09.07.2007 - 14:22
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
I went to the show in Thessaloniki 3 days ago at Moni Lazariston...They were support act with other to bands at Typo O Negative...

So here is a little summary of the show

Innactive Messiah(death metal) opened the show very dynamicly and gave a nice show which lasted about 45 minutes.Then it was Siva Six who went to the stage...I dont have great knowlednge of their music style(industrial/electro/gothic)but i found them great and i believe that they made a nice show..

After Siva Six Rotting Christ went up to the scene and gave a really GREAT show...they played very strong,made a marvelous show on the stage and played for one hour and a 15 minutes i think...Their setlist consisted of their greater songs like''Fitfth Illusion"Under the Name of the Legion"Non Serviam"A Sorroful Farewell"Athanatoi Este"Archon"In Domine Sathanas"Keraunos Kyvernitos"Xaos Geneto"Nemecis"and the list goes on...

Typo O Negative were the last ones to play that night...They really had great stage appereance i have nothing to say about that...they were simply great!

If everyone wants fotos of the show PM me