Metal Storm logo
Europe

23.05.2007 - 20:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
honestly, there's much more to this band than just "the final countdown"(brilliant song btw, i wish i could write such a glorious anthem), like "scream of anger", one of the most fantastic main riffs ever.
now i'm waiting for another gig of theirs here, since they came about 3 times or so, so they'll definetely come back.
25.05.2007 - 03:26
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I've heard only "The final countdown" and I've seen the video too. The song is great, but it doesn't move me much, besides, their appeareance is kind of gay (I mean no offense)
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
25.05.2007 - 09:59
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by The Alchemist on 25.05.2007 at 03:26

I've heard only "The final countdown" and I've seen the video too. The song is great, but it doesn't move me much, besides, their appeareance is kind of gay (I mean no offense)

Pretty superficial statement; first of all, this was the image/appearance of most hair metal bands back in the 80s - you should see the Poison guys.;D

Europe is not only the Final Countdown; they released a lot of good music - for those who enjoy melodic hard & heavy. John Norum is an amazing guitarist to my ears at least. In fact all of them are skilled musicians. I love their first two albums, worth checking out. They reached success with albums such as The final countdown, Out of this World and Prisoners in Paradise.

They returned in 2004 with Start from the Dark - really good album - in the classic line-up. Also they released a new album last year - Secret Society - worthy of anyone's attention IMO.
27.05.2007 - 01:34
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Ok, you're right, the statement was superficial, but well, I'm not really into the genre, so better not to judge those bands
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
30.05.2007 - 18:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, The Final Countdown is like a national anthem for us swedes!
----
03.06.2007 - 22:17
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
To me Europe is all about "The Final Countdown". I've heard other songs from them too, but that one is just a pure masterpiece. It's strongly related to ice hockey here. No matter which game it is, they'll always play it during a small break in the game.

btw One Finnish gay-singer has done a Finnish version of Europe's "Carrie". It's called "Kari" and it's a lovesong from a man to another man.
----
You'll never walk alone.
04.06.2007 - 13:16
marillionfan
Account deleted
I've never understood why Europe gets bashed so much and everybody has got something to mock at their address.
04.06.2007 - 16:19
Constantinos
A long time in 1987, when Greece won the European Basketball Cup "Final Countdown" wasthe "moto" song!! Also one of the two songs I have ever heard in my life was "Final Countdown" (The second is "Still Loving" you). About the band the only thing I have to say is that the band could have done more.
----
Somewhere in time I will find you and haunt you again, like the wind sweeps the earth
04.06.2007 - 18:20
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Constantinos on 04.06.2007 at 16:19

About the band the only thing I have to say is that the band could have done more.

Could have done more? The Final Countdown sold more than 6 million copies, the title track was number 1 in 26 countries. The next album sold more than 2 million copies. They've released 7 studio albums and almost 30 singles. That is a lot IMO.
----
06.06.2007 - 20:45
Constantinos
Written by Warman on 04.06.2007 at 18:20

About the band the only thing I have to say is that the band could have done more.

Could have done more? The Final Countdown sold more than 6 million copies, the title track was number 1 in 26 countries. The next album sold more than 2 million copies. They've released 7 studio albums and almost 30 singles. That is a lot IMO.

Yes you are right. I put it wrong. What I wanted to say is, that the band has released great songs, but always has had the possibilities, the power, the potential to compose and release better songs. For me they haven't given the 100% of what they can, the have given the 80% - 85%.
----
Somewhere in time I will find you and haunt you again, like the wind sweeps the earth
07.06.2007 - 00:54
Remus
Yeah i have Europe's "Final Countdown" album and while the title track is killer, the rest is, well, not really killer. The lyrics also kind of get to me: "Danger on the track, oh-oh, something told me there were, strangers on my back, oh-oh, and i was so wright!" or "Ninja survive!" - it seems like the songs were made for featuring in b-grade, late 80's fighting movies.

Just imagine: Jean Claude Van-Damme, sees his brother get killed in an underground fighting championship and to get revenge, he enters the tournament himself to beat the guy that killed his bro. Now when he's training you hear "Danger on the Track" in the background - it would fit so well!

But being cheesey was part of the wholle glam/hair-metal thing and i respect that!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
11.06.2007 - 12:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernotar on 03.06.2007 at 22:17

To me Europe is all about "The Final Countdown". I've heard other songs from them too, but that one is just a pure masterpiece. It's strongly related to ice hockey here. No matter which game it is, they'll always play it during a small break in the game.

btw One Finnish gay-singer has done a Finnish version of Europe's "Carrie". It's called "Kari" and it's a lovesong from a man to another man.

I saw them live in Swe so new album its more hard rock not popy rock lik ethat cheesy song but thay had a lot of videos ad I had seen one more 'Prisoners in paradise' it was more beter song
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.06.2007 - 12:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

A long time in 1987, when Greece won the European Basketball Cup "Final Countdown" wasthe "moto" song!! Also one of the two songs I have ever heard in my life was "Final Countdown" (The second is "Still Loving" you). About the band the only thing I have to say is that the band could have done more.

Xaxaxxa Yannis Gallis rape USSR xaxaxa but thay had done mor ehave you hera new album Its more hard rock not pop anymore
----

apos;'
[image]
12.06.2007 - 16:07
Constantinos
It was Nikos Gallis, not Yannis
----
15.06.2007 - 11:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Constantinos on 12.06.2007 at 16:07

It was Nikos Gallis, not Yannis

Xaxa well I wanst born then but it was glory days for xools

I hera that Savvas Kofidis in WC 1994 went to Metallica concert in USA its true ?
----

apos;'
[image]
30.06.2007 - 04:57
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
The Alchemist is correct about their appearance , they look to 'comfortable' haha. But I have The Final Countdown album and that's all I've heard from them.....but it's actually good. Damn what a guilty pleasure lol. I lovvve their song "Rock The Night"! Can you say, AIR GUITARS?!
04.07.2007 - 02:29
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I dont care what anybody says, these guys are pretty good. I remember a VH1 special mocked their keyboards being a part of metal, but then they go and praise Dio so much. Dio uses a lot of fucking keyboards too. I like these guys!
13.07.2007 - 13:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 04.07.2007 at 02:29

I dont care what anybody says, these guys are pretty good. I remember a VH1 special mocked their keyboards being a part of metal, but then they go and praise Dio so much. Dio uses a lot of fucking keyboards too. I like these guys!

LoL watching VH1 you only know about Final Countdown, thay never had showed other video
----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2007 - 11:36
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 13.07.2007 at 13:28

LoL watching VH1 you only know about Final Countdown, thay never had showed other video

That comment made absolutely no sense....does that mean that I have never heard any other song, just because I watched a vh1 segment, if so, then you my friend have made one of the most retarded comments I have ever heard, because I have heard many songs by them, or were you simply making fun of VH1? I sure hope it's the second one, because you definitely don't want to be known for making such an idiotic comment....
15.07.2007 - 03:54
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.07.2007 at 11:36

That comment made absolutely no sense....does that mean that I have never heard any other song, just because I watched a vh1 segment, if so, then you my friend have made one of the most retarded comments I have ever heard, because I have heard many songs by them, or were you simply making fun of VH1? I sure hope it's the second one, because you definitely don't want to be known for making such an idiotic comment....

He meant that if you're depending on VH1 alone to hear Europe, then chances are you only know The Final Countdown song because apparently VH1 never played other Europe videos. I think that's what he meant, I wouldn't take it to heart dude. Hmmm But I watched VH1-Classic and they played the video for Carrie though.

Anyway, I think Europe's "Out Of This World" album (1988) was a good release also, I'll be sure to buy it when I'm in the states this week. I saw the video for Open Your Heart very powerful song
16.07.2007 - 01:47
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
The biggest exponent in the Melodic Hard-Rock.
21.07.2007 - 00:51
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.07.2007 at 03:54

He meant that if you're depending on VH1 alone to hear Europe, then chances are you only know The Final Countdown song because apparently VH1 never played other Europe videos. I think that's what he meant, I wouldn't take it to heart dude. Hmmm But I watched VH1-Classic and they played the video for Carrie though.

Anyway, I think Europe's "Out Of This World" album (1988) was a good release also, I'll be sure to buy it when I'm in the states this week. I saw the video for Open Your Heart very powerful song

Nowhere in my first post did I mention anything about me depending on Vh1. Of course I don't take it to heard, but I feel when someone makes such a stupid comment as that, it must be brought up. I wouldn't be posting here if I hadn't heard any song other than the Final Countdown.
21.07.2007 - 00:52
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.07.2007 at 03:54

Nowhere in my first post did I mention anything about me depending on Vh1 to see these guys, I was only mentioning something I had seen on VH1. Of course I don't take it to heart, but I feel when someone makes such a stupid comment as that, it must be brought up. I wouldn't be posting here if I hadn't heard any song other than the Final Countdown.
15.12.2007 - 00:29
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Maidenvarius: oh okay then man.

damn this thread is old lol.

I never got their Out Of This World album , I'm downloading songs from it right now. It sounds pretty damn neat! And the '88 version ov "Open Your Heart" is at least 10x better than the origional release in '84.
22.09.2008 - 18:37
Jonnz of Steel
I only have the Final Countdown album, which is killer, but I need to get the rest of their albums as well...
28.09.2008 - 00:23
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
everytime i hear the final countdown i get nauseated and my ears start bleeding. i cant stand that song.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.01.2012 - 16:54
Aristarchos
Their first album and Prisoners in paradise are their two best imo.
01.01.2012 - 16:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Aristarchos on 01.01.2012 at 16:54

imo their first two are their best and I prefer their seccond slight over their first.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2012 - 14:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Prisoners is kult album , and those neweer ones is also good , its shame people know band because of Final ''Cunt''Down
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2012 - 14:21
Aristarchos
Written by Bad English on 02.01.2012 at 14:01

Prisoners is kult album , and those neweer ones is also good , its shame people know band because of Final ''Cunt''Down

I too think their newer ones are great.