Legendary UK doom metallers Cathedral have called it quits.

Their statement reads as follows:

After a twenty-one year career, Cathedral announce their forthcoming retirement from the scene. The band will make their exit from the live arena at the end of this year and plan to record one final studio album to be released in 2012.

According to vocalist Lee Dorrian: "It's simply time for us to bow out. Twenty-one years is a very long time and it's almost a miracle that we managed to come this far! We've had a great time during Cathedral's existence and it has literally been our life. It's just time to move on and leave our recorded legacy to linger."

Since forming in 1990 the band have released nine studio albums and several EPs. A large part of their career was spent recording for Earache Records, debuting with the landmark 1991 doom metal classic Forest Of Equilibrium. This was followed by the seminal 1993 album Ethereal Mirror which was released by Columbia Records in America to large critical acclaim.

More recently Cathedral have continued to expand on their overall sound, releasing two albums for the Nuclear Blast label. Dorrian continues: "Our latest album The Guessing Game is exactly where we wanted to be after all this time. Staying in one place, being repetitive and predictable is something we wanted to avoid right from the off."

The band's uncompromising individual style has gained them a large cult-following around the world. They recently reunited with the original line-up for their twentieth anniversary concert to perform their aforementioned debut in its entirety. They are scheduled to make several final live appearances 2011, including dates in Japan and at the Maryland Deathfest. More dates will follow including a farewell London show later in the year.

Dorrian concludes: "We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere gratitude to those special people who have supported Cathedral over the years. It may sound like a cliché but it's certainly true - we simply wouldn't have been able to do it without you, thanks!"

Source: bravewords.com
Band profile: Cathedral

Posted: 09.02.2011 by Angelic Storm

Comments

Angelic Storm - 09.02.2011 at 23:35
This is very disappointing, especially as their last album was so strong and fresh. As a long time fan, it saddens me that one of my fave bands, and UK's finest acts are choosing to call it a day. I guess I can only hope I can see them live one last time, and their final album is one worthy to end their great career on.
Baz Anderson - 09.02.2011 at 23:45
Hopefully I'll get another chance to see them again before they go.
Kenos - 10.02.2011 at 00:06
!J.O.O.E.! - 10.02.2011 at 00:19
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.02.2011 at 23:35

Agreed! Even if many do not.

I'm quite annoyed I missed them when they played last now. Oh well, I'm certain they'll have a reunion gig at some point.
BitterCOld - 10.02.2011 at 00:20
They had a good run...
Angelic Storm - 10.02.2011 at 00:47
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 10.02.2011 at 00:19
Agreed! Even if many do not.

Yes well, for me it was a genius work, and think it may be a mistake for them to split up when they seem to be hitting a peak creatively. I know some people didn't like the direction taken with the last album though, so they probably won't see it as a bad thing that they're finishing. lol *shrugs*
Gopherhawk - 10.02.2011 at 04:17
Aw man. And they rarely come near here....
In Bone Factory - 10.02.2011 at 08:34
So sad
Bad English - 10.02.2011 at 14:36
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.02.2011 at 23:35

It isnt because last was was biggest disapoinment in 2010 metal year, I realy like maybe 2 songs from it its not Cathedral, every other is classic this was more synth pop wesrion about bands muisc, I would like duran duran more same whit syth pop if they use accusticc instruments insted of syths, ok if band would make soemthing close how early albums its be sad they splut up, but who knows maybe after 5 years there be re union, but better go whit good album how such what they make
BudDa - 10.02.2011 at 15:26
Quite frankly, I'm not sad to see them go. They've had a good run and I respect them for "retiring" gracefully...leaving behind the material they have though I'm sure Dorian and the rest will move on to new projects, so they won't be enti...rely gone!
Krankheit - 10.02.2011 at 17:16
Sad news
Meller - 10.02.2011 at 19:56
Somehow this sucks. A fine career, with fine discography and heritage to give as a legacy for the next generation of doomsters. On the other hand, like Abscess, this band dies with their boots on, leaving solid latest album behind, instead of waning out slow and miserable. In any case, much respect. And I do hope that at least Dorrean will continue to sniff out some great talents with his own label in the future.
Thank you for the music, Cathedral. Some fine times we've had together - and with your albums, still have in the future, as long as my heart beats and eardrums last.
silenius - 10.02.2011 at 20:17
I need a hug
Ph0eNiX - 12.02.2011 at 11:12
Okay.... that hit home.... I liked them since ethereal mirror came out... Damnit......

I'm glad they did a closing album but all in all... Damnit!!!!!
Pankar95 - 20.05.2011 at 14:39
Shit, thats depressive.
They had a very solid career. I think they could continue for 10 more years if they wanted, and without spilling their name like Metallica and Queensryche have been doing lately.

News Cathedral - Update On Future Plans 6.5 22.05.2011 by Angelic Storm
News Cathedral - Streaming New Single, Album Cover Unveiled 4.5 13.03.2013 by !J.O.O.E.!
News 40 Watt Sun - Announce New Album Plans 4 28.03.2014 by Alondate
News Megadeth - Announce Plans For Gigantour 2012 4 22.07.2011 by JÄY
News Theatres Des Vampires - Touring South America In 2012, Announce DVD Plans 4 09.06.2011 by dismaleuphony