Swedish epic doom metallers Candlemass will release their final album Psalms For The Dead in June. A limited 12" vinyl single, Dancing In The Temple Of The Mad Queen Bee, including two album tracks will be released in advance on April 13th via Napalm Records and can already be pre-ordered here. The single artwork can be viewed below.

Bassist Leif Edling commented: "This record represents everything that is Candlemass. It is big, fat, epic and heavy, and it's also metal as fuck! We couldn't have done a better album! It's our last one and we put just all we had into it. Psalms For The Dead is an album about the presence and absence of time, false prophets and inner demons... hymns, regret and farewell. Let there be doom!"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Candlemass

Posted: 19.03.2012 by BudDa

Comments

SelfXPlanetOrE - 19.03.2012 at 12:38
Sounds cool. Can't wait.
M C Vice - 19.03.2012 at 12:41
I'll say it again. All 5 singers. Sourcerer's Pledge. Awsome.
Daniell - 19.03.2012 at 14:39
Death Magic Doom was great, so I can't wait for this one.Let's hope they go out with a bang.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 14:45
Written by Daniell on 19.03.2012 at 14:39

I found DMD great upon first listen but then quickly dwindled into mediocrity with only a three or so stand out tracks
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.03.2012 at 14:47
Death Doom Magic was indeed average at best, then again to me this band has been average since the self-titled which was decent. I should be sad about this band splitting up but I'm really not.
Mr. Doctor - 19.03.2012 at 14:49
Woah woah woah woah... back off, just back off. I did NOT know they were going to disband. What the fuck.
Daniell - 19.03.2012 at 14:50
I also liked it more at start, but still, even now, I think it's great. A few quite fast songs sound slightly power metal-ish, but are still awesome. As for real doom songs, "The Bleeding Baroness" and "My Funeral Dreams" are brilliant, on a par with the best Candlemass songs from the 80's. Nothing will (probably) ever beat "The Sorcerer's Pledge", "Demons' Gate" or "Darkness in Paradise", but these 2 come quite close.
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.03.2012 at 14:50
Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.03.2012 at 14:49

I'm pretty sure this was announced ages ago
Mr. Doctor - 19.03.2012 at 14:52
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.03.2012 at 14:50

Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.03.2012 at 14:49

I'm pretty sure this was announced ages ago

It must have been a long time ago since I don't remember that at all.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 14:55
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.03.2012 at 14:47

for the self-titlesd is a tad above DMD but not as good as King Of The Grey Isles.

I think the only reason why the self-titled was praised so much (not saying it is your reason to praise it JOOE) was because Messaih featured on it. Although Messiah is a great dramatic vocalist he seems to be overrated immensely nowadays. I prefer the less dramatic Johan Landquist and als Rob Lowe over Messiah.

And for me From The 13th Sun is their last really good although immensely overlooked and underrated, just look at the average score here on MS
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.03.2012 at 14:57
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 14:55

Considering the way Nightfall and the following two albums turned out I would never call him overrated ;] though his vocals on the s/t were nowhere near the standard of his first three albums with the band. I'd take him and Lanquist over Lowe any day, unless Lowe somehow went back to how he sounded earlier on.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 14:59
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.03.2012 at 14:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 14:55

Considering the way nightfall and the following two albums turned out I would never call him overrated ;] though his vocals on the s/t were nowhere near the standard of his first three albums with the band. I'd take him and Lanquist over Lowe any day, unless Lowe somehow went back to how he sounded earlier on.

Messiah is overrated in the sense that whenever you mention his name nowadays 99% of all metal fans shoot their load immediately and wet their panties.
PocketMetal - 19.03.2012 at 15:01
Guess it's time to start listening to them xD
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.03.2012 at 15:02
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 14:59

Probably, but virtually any vocalist would be overrated in that sense.
Daniell - 19.03.2012 at 15:02
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.03.2012 at 14:57

Funnily enough, I think that Lowe did a fantastic job on Candlemass albums, especially on DMD. He makes me not miss Messiah at all.
!J.O.O.E.! - 19.03.2012 at 15:02
Written by Daniell on 19.03.2012 at 15:02

Funnily enough, I think that Lowe did a fantastic job on Candlemass albums, especially on DMD. He nakes me not miss Messiah at all.

Most people seem to think that, I think his vocals are unspectacular to say the least.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 15:04
Written by Daniell on 19.03.2012 at 15:02

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.03.2012 at 14:57

Lowe's vocals are the strongest part of DMD, it's most of the songs themeselves that don't hold up. Foor Edling's best song one has to go to Krux. And it seems like he's realized that as well and hence disbands Candlemass.
Daniell - 19.03.2012 at 15:07
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 19.03.2012 at 15:02

Written by Daniell on 19.03.2012 at 15:02

Talk about different tastes When I hear him sing

Do I have to go, where all the sinners burn?
It isn't real, am I able to return?

I almost cream my pants
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 15:10
Although Lowe's vocals eare absolutely great on those albums. The man is a total disgrace live. After all these years singing with Candlemass he still has to sing most of the lyrics off paper taped to the monitor, be it old songs as well as the songs he orignally sang.
Daniell - 19.03.2012 at 15:13
That's pathetic, to say the least...
Mr. Doctor - 19.03.2012 at 15:18
Written by Daniell on 19.03.2012 at 15:13

That's pathetic, to say the least...

I was lucky enough to be aware of that after their set on roadburn, otherwise I would have been really pissed off and not enjoying the set like I did.
Daniell - 19.03.2012 at 15:21
Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.03.2012 at 15:18

Written by Daniell on 19.03.2012 at 15:13

That's pathetic, to say the least...

So he doesn't make it too blatant at least. But still, not knowing those lyrics by heart after so many years? Or maybe he has the worst memory ever?
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 15:21
Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.03.2012 at 15:18

Written by Daniell on 19.03.2012 at 15:13

That's pathetic, to say the least...

You were creaming your pants with you eyes closed in the first row that's why you didn't notice.
I was at the bar up higher and had a good view of the stage from that angle.
But he also did it at Hellfest. But although that was annoying what was more annoying was people moshing and pogoing and slam dancing to Candlemass
Mr. Doctor - 19.03.2012 at 15:56
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 15:21

I was at the bar up higher and had a good view of the stage from that angle.

I was in the stairs on the left side, medium high... I would say I was as high as the sound table. I just didn't realyl see it. I think I saw something white on the scene but it didn't felt obvious to me as I saw just white, not text on it.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 19.03.2012 at 16:06
Was it ever clear why Johan never returned?

All I can say about the news, is to just bring it on!
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 16:08
Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.03.2012 at 15:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 15:21

I was at the bar up higher and had a good view of the stage from that angle.

I thought you were all the way upfront. Or was that only during the Epicus Doomicus Metallicus part of the set?
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 16:10
Written by Amatsu Mikaboshi on 19.03.2012 at 16:06

Was it ever clear why Johan never returned?

Well he was only hired to sing the parts on the album at the time and didn't even perform live with them until the Candlemass 20th Aniiversary party in 2007 or so.
Johan never returned because he was a cab driver and popular musical singer. Nowadays Johan does perform with them from time to time to do Epicus Doomicus Metallicus live
Mr. Doctor - 19.03.2012 at 16:14
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 16:08

Nope I was always on the stairs, chilling out, relaxing and slowly headbanging
I'm not exactly the kind of guy that likes to be upfront unless the band's music is moshable and/or requires heavy and fast headbang.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 16:21
Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.03.2012 at 16:14

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 16:08

Nope I was always on the stairs, chilling out, relaxing and slowly headbanging

I remember you saying you were upfront shouting something in Swedish to Johan...
Mr. Doctor - 19.03.2012 at 16:34
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 16:21

I wasn't upfront... I just shout loud enough for the band to hear plus another swede that was on the right side of the stairs who shouted right after me
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 19.03.2012 at 16:34
Quote:
Quote:

So given that, it does make sort of hinder the Anniversary shows of their specialty IF decidingly Johan just fancies to come up now and then. I could have took this wrong. But I really wish to see them live and would never complain having Epicus played entirely.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 16:37
Written by Amatsu Mikaboshi on 19.03.2012 at 16:34

Johan just fancies to come up now and then.

It's not about him wanting to show up or not it's about Leif wanting him to come and join them live or not.
Remember Candlemass was and is solely Leif's band, he calls all the shots.
Valentin B - 19.03.2012 at 17:03
I saw Candlemass live 2 years ago, didn't notice if Lowe was reading the lyrics from a piece of paper or something (it's not like they have the most complicated lyrics though).

At least Edling knows when to quit, unlike other bands who just keep going on solely to milk the proverbial cashcow. I want to see them with Langquist before they split up, I'm not sure when/where/if that will happen though.
Marcel Hubregtse - 19.03.2012 at 18:41
Written by Valentin B on 19.03.2012 at 17:03

But then you also didn't notice Rob halford reading the lyrics off the monitors. And he's been doing that for years and years and years now.
Valentin B - 19.03.2012 at 18:51
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 18:41

Written by Valentin B on 19.03.2012 at 17:03

I noticed he is doing that with new songs (as obvious on Rising in the East) but yeah, it's a shame he does that on Rapid Fire too from what I've noticed. I don't really care as those are hardly the highlights of a Priest show (and during their last summer tour they played 2 hour and 15 minute shows every other night at age 59 and still sounded great, so I'll cut him some slack).
Daniell - 19.03.2012 at 18:54
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 18:41

I'll check this out on April 14th which is when I'm seeing Judas live.
Papa_Ray - 20.03.2012 at 02:20
It's beyond me how tons people like King of the Grey Islands more than Death Magic Doom. King has some of the most lackluster songwriting Edling has ever cranked out. So many of the songs just plod along. Death Magic Doom has so much life to it in comparison.
Marcel Hubregtse - 20.03.2012 at 02:51
Written by Papa_Ray on 20.03.2012 at 02:20

I disagree. To me it is clearly the other way around

News Candlemass - Ink Deal With Napalm Records, Plan Farewell Album 7.5 16.10.2011 by Mr. Doctor
News Ihsahn - To Release New Album In June 5.5 04.04.2012 by Introspekrieg
Articles Havok - Album Release Show, Colorado, USA - 22nd June 2013 4.5 05.07.2013 by Syk
News Quo Vadis - Upcoming Live Album Release 4 23.05.2007 by Katatronik
News Necrodeath - To Release 25 Year Anniversary Cover Album 4 20.01.2010 by Black Conundrum