Maybe because it's vocalist Ray Alder's birthday, proggers Fates Warning have chosen today to officially premiere their brand new song "Firefly". How will they sound after almost a decade? You can take a listen on the video available below. It still very much sounds like Fates Warning indeed. Check it out.

The album will be released on September 30th, 2013 in Europe and October 1st, 2013 in North America via InsideOut. You can find more details here.

Ray Alder commented about the song: "'Firefly' is very personal to me in more ways than one... After I had written the melody for this song, I knew immediately what the title was going to be, as well as the subject, it just fit the mood. As for the subject, I'm pretty sure we've all felt this way at one time or another. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you think they would, but that's okay, that's part of life... We move on. Ironically, while recording 'Firefly' in New Hampshire I was outside the studio late one night, and there they were, floating through the trees in the forest! I hadn't seen a single firefly for at least fifteen year since I had left my hometown of San Antonio TX, so I kinda took it as a sign, a sign of what, I don't know... But very ironic nonetheless..."

Darkness In A Different Light tracklist:

10. And Yet It Moves

Source: insideoutmusic.com
Band profile: Fates Warning

Posted: 20.08.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

NocturnalStalker - 20.08.2013 at 19:35
Sounds nice. Not groundbreaking, but nice. Anyway, after waiting for so long for a new Fates Warning album I will be happy even if doesn't prove to be a masterpiece.

P.S. The riff that starts at about 2:50 sounds very cool, by the way.
Dentura - 20.08.2013 at 21:07
Really cool! This is better than anything I've heard off of the Disconnected album really. The Arch/Matheos project must have refreshed Fates Warning as well.
BloodTears - 20.08.2013 at 21:12
Written by Dentura on 20.08.2013 at 21:07

Really? Disconnected is almost perfect for me actually. So, I disagree that it is better than anything from that album. But it was so long ago as well. The new song is promising at least.
JohnDoe - 20.08.2013 at 21:15
Excellent is all i can say, loved it!
Dentura - 20.08.2013 at 23:23
Written by BloodTears on 20.08.2013 at 21:12

Written by Dentura on 20.08.2013 at 21:07

Granted, it doesn't quite touch the songs "Still Remains" or "Something From Nothing" from that album, I may have exaggerated that claim slightly. But overall, I really enjoy this new one here, it's promising indeed. That's just what I think anyway.
Azarath - 21.08.2013 at 00:11
That was really good. One of these days I should probably explore their stuff more thoroughly.
Antidote - 21.08.2013 at 00:39
Beautiful, melodic and a bit melancholic - just the Fates Warning I like so much...thank you guys!
Clintagram - 21.08.2013 at 04:06
I loved Arch/Matheos, but it's nice to hear Ray Alder singing with these guys again (Bobby Jarzombek is new-ish, of course).

And by the way, if you haven't heard Alder's other band, Redemption, check them out. I got to see them open for Dream Theater about six years ago and they were awesome. I haven't listened to their newer stuff, but The Origins of Ruin was a great album, in my opinion.
andreosokin - 21.08.2013 at 10:14
Very excited to hear the rest of the album! It sounds very good! And those riffs - yep, just like the old times
BloodTears - 21.08.2013 at 11:00
Written by Dentura on 20.08.2013 at 23:23

lol Don't worry about it, I get it that you were excited with the new song I quite like it as well. In the end, if the new album turns out to be better than Disconnect, that would be perfect!
Marillion - 21.08.2013 at 11:44
Sounds great!
treptolemus - 02.09.2013 at 00:29
Can't wait to see them live! Ray still sounds good.

News Fates Warning - Stream New Song, Announce Touring Guitarist 9 12.09.2013 by thehondo
News Fates Warning - New Video Online 7.5 19.12.2013 by tea[m]ster
News Fates Warning - New Album Update 7.5 28.12.2012 by strade
News Dirge - Premiere New Song 5.5 17.02.2014 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Motörhead - Premiere New Song 5.5 24.09.2013 by Nemo Atkins